Start by marking “Great Expectations (Great Illustrated Classics)” as Want to Read:
Great Expectations (Great Illustrated Classics)

Great Expectations (Great Illustrated Classics)

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  897 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Published January 31st 2006 by Abdo Publishing Company (first published 1860)

To ask other readers questions about Great Expectations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Great Expectations

Jerry
LIBRARIAN: Did you know that you have Great Expectations?
SMITTEN GUY: No; how did you know that?
LIBRARIAN: You checked it out last week.
-- Early Edition

(Every time I hear any reference to the original Dickens work, I'm reminded of that.)

Most of Dickens' works are very long; it's very hard to condense them into a kid-friendly package. This one does an amicable job, though I'm not 100% familiar with the original. The illustrations suit the story very well. This adaptation is obviously old, though,
Anna
Jul 14, 2009 Anna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
This book is excellent ONLY if you're okay with the willing suspension of disbelief. There are so many coincidences and contrivances, it's amazing that in the tiny, backwater hamlet of...London...the same 10 people keep running into each other. But Dickens is superb in his prose and imagery. Some of my favorite examples:

"Heaven knows we need never be ashamed of our tears, for they are rain upon the blinding dust of earth, overlying our hard hearts."

"I was always treated as if I had insisted on
Anastasia
Okay, okay; I'll admit that I haven't read the original. This version, however, was in my younger sister's “book bag,” and I was bored.

Now, on to the quality of the story. I felt as though this book were a little rushed—noticeably so. It's as if the narration itself said, after every plot point, “All right; now that that one's out of the way, let's move on.” At times, the story felt disconnected and juvenile (but, hey; this is a kid's adaption, and I am out of the target range, so why am I comp
Dawn
I found this on my book shelf and decided to give it a go. I'm glad I did. I enjoyed the story very much and she it was rushed, I'm okay with skipping 400 pages of prose to get the gist of one of the Classics.
Colleen
I probably last read this book when I was 15 or 16 years old, and I think I liked it better than (I downgraded from 4 stars to 3). It is down-to-earth and charming as only Dickens can be, but I think that I matured out of the angst and heartbreak that the story rotates around. In particular, I remember being most moved by Estella and poor Pip's heartbreak and dashed expectations... this time around, not nearly so much. Perhaps I'm just getting old and don't so well remember the angst of youth :- ...more
Kara Larson
Read this to Kate. I think she got some of it... we'll have to read it again together in the future.
Kevin Carlo Artiaga
This book was light and easy to read, as well as thoughtful and rich. This was probably the easiest to read of the classics I've tried. Good works of fiction make you root for the characters, and in this case I did. Charles Dickens deserves his honor indeed.

PS I liked the ending. :)
Kristin
I love these Illustrated Classics! The pictures really draw me back to that day/time and into the action. I can see how these would help kids to appreciate the stories. Only $3 at Michael's and then I donate them. I'm heading to Amazon to get the original now :-)
Megan
I have never, ever, ever hated a book so much. Ever. I wish I could give it zero stars. One of the two times I ever got in trouble in school...I fell asleep watching this movie in class...
Amanda
I read this a long time ago as a kid, but decided to pick it up again since I needed a quick read. I liked it just as much as I liked it as a kid!
Destiny Dutton
This is book has pictures and text. I would like to read the actually novel. This verson was anazing.you got to know all the characters.
Maharshi
I love Dickens but can't count how many times I fell asleep while reading Great Expectations.
JohnyJava
I absoloutley loved the book if I could give this version 150000000000000000 stars I would
Swati
Great One!! Slow and dragging at times but inspirational none the less.
Lisa Wells
Maybe it was too long ago....but I thought it was too slow
Stephanie
It's just that I hated Pip. And it was depressing.
Cws
JAR5-ICD
Carol Bischof
Carol Bischof marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Winter Owens
Winter Owens marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Sheetal Shah
Sheetal Shah marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Amanda Johnson
Amanda Johnson marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
  • David Copperfield (Illustrated Classic Editions)
  • The Prince and the Pauper (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • A Tale of Two Cities
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
  • The Mutiny on Board HMS Bounty (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Little Women (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Last of the Mohicans (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • A Journey to the Center of the Earth (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Red Badge of Courage (Great Illustrated Classics)
  •  ألغاز إدجار آلان بو
  • The Jungle Book (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Dracula (Great Illustrated Classics)
The Count of Monte Cristo The Call of the Wild (Great Illustrated Classics) The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (Great Illustrated Classics) Bridges to Fear Breaking The Scream Barrier (Stories To Be Read With The Lights On: volume 2)