Start by marking “Great Expectations (Great Illustrated Classics)” as Want to Read:
Great Expectations (Great Illustrated Classics)

Great Expectations (Great Illustrated Classics)

3.64  ·  Rating Details ·  1,075 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Published January 31st 2006 by Abdo Publishing Company (first published 1860)

To ask other readers questions about Great Expectations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Great Expectations

Tiana Nguyen
Dec 30, 2016 Tiana Nguyen rated it really liked it
This book was great. It had lots of misery and unexplained mysteries. During the book, things started to fit together, like puzzle pieces. There was some deaths and broken hearts. I also enjoyed reading about the stories of the characters in the book. It helped me learn more about them and understand their emotions better. I loved reading this wonderful story that the author wrote.
Jerry
May 06, 2014 Jerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
LIBRARIAN: Did you know that you have Great Expectations?
SMITTEN GUY: No; how did you know that?
LIBRARIAN: You checked it out last week.
-- Early Edition

(Every time I hear any reference to the original Dickens work, I'm reminded of that.)

Most of Dickens' works are very long; it's very hard to condense them into a kid-friendly package. This one does an amicable job, though I'm not 100% familiar with the original. The illustrations suit the story very well. This adaptation is obviously old, though,
Kevin Findley
Oct 15, 2016 Kevin Findley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, bedtime-stories
A classic that was very well adapted for young readers. For parents who might want to introduce Dickens to their younger children, this would be an excellent book to start with.
Kyle W.
Sep 09, 2015 Kyle W. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kate
Jan 02, 2016 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. It is the condensed version adapted by Mitsu Yamamoto. The story is very complex and there are many details and parts to it.
The plot is about a boy named Pip and his adventures through his life from age seven to his forties. As a boy, Pip helps an escaped convict by bringing him food. Then, one day he is invited to the old and very wealthy woman, Miss Havisham’s large mansion, to play with her daughter, Estella. After that, Pip’s life changes fore
Kent Kirker
Mar 10, 2016 Kent Kirker rated it liked it
Shelves: library-books
The first time I saw this book was in my high school library in Coshocton, Ohio. I had stumbled across the section of Dickens books, "The Tale of Two Cities", "Oliver Twist", "David Copperfield", and there it was, the thick bound "Great Expectations". I remember grabbing the copy of Copperfield and skimming through it to try and get a feeling of what it was about. At the time I had a growing distaste for Shakespeare, (which I still have), I find him dry and hard to get into. Dickens was another ...more
Anastasia Nichole
Aug 20, 2012 Anastasia Nichole rated it it was ok
Shelves: disappointing
Okay, okay; I'll admit that I haven't read the original. This version, however, was in my younger sister's “book bag,” and I was bored.

Now, on to the quality of the story. I felt as though this book were a little rushed—noticeably so. It's as if the narration itself said, after every plot point, “All right; now that that one's out of the way, let's move on.” At times, the story felt disconnected and juvenile (but, hey; this is a kid's adaption, and I am out of the target range, so why am I comp
Anna
Jul 01, 2009 Anna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009
This book is excellent ONLY if you're okay with the willing suspension of disbelief. There are so many coincidences and contrivances, it's amazing that in the tiny, backwater hamlet of...London...the same 10 people keep running into each other. But Dickens is superb in his prose and imagery. Some of my favorite examples:

"Heaven knows we need never be ashamed of our tears, for they are rain upon the blinding dust of earth, overlying our hard hearts."

"I was always treated as if I had insisted on
Colleen
I probably last read this book when I was 15 or 16 years old, and I think I liked it better than (I downgraded from 4 stars to 3). It is down-to-earth and charming as only Dickens can be, but I think that I matured out of the angst and heartbreak that the story rotates around. In particular, I remember being most moved by Estella and poor Pip's heartbreak and dashed expectations... this time around, not nearly so much. Perhaps I'm just getting old and don't so well remember the angst of youth :- ...more
Dawn
Jul 23, 2014 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars, 2014
I found this on my book shelf and decided to give it a go. I'm glad I did. I enjoyed the story very much and she it was rushed, I'm okay with skipping 400 pages of prose to get the gist of one of the Classics.
Jen
Mar 07, 2016 Jen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-lit
I had been reading the actual version so long I decided to get it off my list by reading the Great Illustrated Children's version. I loved the PBS special a few years back and that's when I decided to read it. I found the book laborious and difficult to stick with.
Kristin
Dec 07, 2009 Kristin rated it liked it
Shelves: with-lexie, classic
I love these Illustrated Classics! The pictures really draw me back to that day/time and into the action. I can see how these would help kids to appreciate the stories. Only $3 at Michael's and then I donate them. I'm heading to Amazon to get the original now :-)
Kevin Carlo Artiaga
Apr 23, 2012 Kevin Carlo Artiaga rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
This book was light and easy to read, as well as thoughtful and rich. This was probably the easiest to read of the classics I've tried. Good works of fiction make you root for the characters, and in this case I did. Charles Dickens deserves his honor indeed.

PS I liked the ending. :)
Lisa Wells
Maybe it was too long ago....but I thought it was too slow
Kara Larson
Mar 10, 2014 Kara Larson rated it liked it
Shelves: children
Read this to Kate. I think she got some of it... we'll have to read it again together in the future.
JohnyJava
Oct 04, 2010 JohnyJava rated it it was amazing
I absoloutley loved the book if I could give this version 150000000000000000 stars I would
Stephanie
Nov 19, 2009 Stephanie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It's just that I hated Pip. And it was depressing.
Swati
Great One!! Slow and dragging at times but inspirational none the less.
Amanda
Sep 08, 2008 Amanda rated it really liked it
I read this a long time ago as a kid, but decided to pick it up again since I needed a quick read. I liked it just as much as I liked it as a kid!
Destiny Dutton
Mar 14, 2014 Destiny Dutton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is book has pictures and text. I would like to read the actually novel. This verson was anazing.you got to know all the characters.
Megan
Jun 04, 2009 Megan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have never, ever, ever hated a book so much. Ever. I wish I could give it zero stars. One of the two times I ever got in trouble in school...I fell asleep watching this movie in class...
Cws
JAR5-ICD
Kristin
Kristin rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2009
Crystal
Crystal rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2009
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
May 22, 2013
Hannah
Hannah rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2009
Jaclyn
Jaclyn rated it it was ok
Aug 04, 2011
Jijo
Jijo rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2009
Wendy E.
Wendy E. rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2010
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2010
  • David Copperfield (Illustrated Classic Editions)
  • The Prince and the Pauper (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • A Tale of Two Cities
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
  • The Mutiny on Board HMS Bounty (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Little Women (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Last of the Mohicans (Great Illustrated Classics)