Start by marking “The Devil's Flu: The World's Deadliest Influenza Epidemic and the Scientific Hunt for the Virus That Caused It” as Want to Read:

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  5 reviews
A gripping account of the 1918 flu pandemic and the modern-day hunt for this elusive and deadly virus

In 1918, a flu virus more lethal than any that has come along since swept through the world, from the remotest villages in Arctic climates to crowded U.S.cities to the battlefields of Europe, killing forty million people. Yet, despite its devastating toll and the probabilit
Published October 15th 2000 by Holt Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The Devil's Flu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil's Flu

TheSaint
The aftermath of Hurricane Katrina put me in the mood to ponder how prepared I am -- not to mention my community -- for a natural disaster. But, in the Pacific Northwest, natural disasters are thankfully few and far between.
Oh, sure, there's the occasional minor flood or volcano. And apparently, we're in prime time for an earthquake. But nothing really scares me like a pandemic of avian influenza. The Devil's Flu, by Pete Davies did nothing to alleviate my fears.
This story of the science and p
Kim
My great grandmother died in the 1918 Flu Epidemic and I have always been interested in it as a result. Book was interesting in how it discussed historical flu and current flu isues. Very scientific and I'm not (wish I was) but the author took time to explain many of the scientific concepts discussed and used easy to understand analagies. Also, not overly lengthy but there are a few parts where he could have been more concise.
Frederick Bingham
This book is about the Spanish flu epidemic of 1918. It discusses the epidemic and how it spread. It talks about the microbiology of the influenza virus. It also discusses the modern search for remnants of the virus. Some researchers found it in old tissue samples and by digging up graves of people who died of the disease in the arctic.
Patti
The data was SO intriguing - the writing, was a bit stunted. Sometimes the author dwelt on certain researchers' qualities a bit much and the story stalled.
I was reading for data content and timelines. It met my needs!
Kimber
Jun 08, 2009 Kimber added it
Time to refresh my interest in infectious diseases!
Sandra
Sandra added it
Jan 23, 2015
Anne Pierce
Anne Pierce marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Lisa Famler
Lisa Famler marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Marissa
Marissa marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Hayley Farless
Hayley Farless marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Michelle Klinger
Michelle Klinger marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Michelle Savahl
Michelle Savahl is currently reading it
Jul 17, 2014
Theshortaiel
Theshortaiel marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Joyce
Joyce added it
Feb 22, 2014
Vicki
Vicki marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
lola Franco
lola Franco marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Emily Puerner
Emily Puerner marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Whatwhenwhere
Whatwhenwhere marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2013
Tracy Caron
Tracy Caron marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
All Played Out American Road: The Story of an Epic Transcontinental Journey at the Dawn of the Motor Age The Last Election I LOST MY HEART TO THE BELLES: STORY OF THE DONCASTER BELLES Inside the Hurricane: Face to Face with Nature's Deadliest Storms