Start by marking “Bird Flu: A Virus of Our Own Hatching” as Want to Read:
Bird Flu: A Virus of Our Own Hatching

Bird Flu: A Virus of Our Own Hatching

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  25 ratings  ·  6 reviews
An expose on the role intensive poultry farming has played in incubating and spreading the bird flu virus which is expected to become a worldwide pandemic.
Published November 15th 2006 by Lantern Books

To ask other readers questions about Bird Flu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bird Flu

Bloodlines by Lindsay Anne KendalJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëBrave New World by Aldous HuxleyAtonement by Ian McEwanBeowulf by Unknown
Grey Daze
184th out of 481 books — 96 voters
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca SklootOnce Upon a Road Trip by Angela N. BlountMan's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. FranklThe Forest People by Colin M. TurnbullBlink by Malcolm Gladwell
Non-fiction books that read like a novel
86th out of 120 books — 32 voters

More lists with this book...

Keith Akers
Great book -- typical of Dr. Greger's entertaining and thoroughly scientific style. Check out "nutritionfacts.org" if you haven't already. There is a video, "Pandemic prevention" which he did which conveys some of the same information.
Kelly
Playing chicken with our food supply…

(Full disclosure: I received a free copy of this book for review at the publisher's invitation.)

BIRD FLU: A VIRUS OF OUR OWN HATCHING opens not with H5N1, the modern day "bird flu virus" which has the potential to mutate into the deadliest pandemic that the world has ever seen, but with H1N1, the influenza virus responsible for the 1918 flu pandemic. In just two short years, an estimated 50 to 100 million people perished as World War I raged on.

As described b
Steven Peterson
H5N1. Pandemic or fizzle? Will this version of Avian Flu be a killer as bad as the great Pandemic Flu of 1918 (also an avian flu)? Or worse? Or a fizzle like Swine Flu in President Gerald Ford's administration? If it is akin to the first two choices, Americans will be faced with one of the worst health threats in its history. To this point in time, this particular flu has not "taken off." And let us hope that continues to be the case.

Michael Greger's book, "Bird Flu: A Virus of Our Own Hatching,
Debbie
May 05, 2007 Debbie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone!
This was a very well written and meticulously researched book about how the avian influenza came about thanks to our intensification of the domestication of poultry, the possible catastrophe that is coming, and some simple ideas of how to protect ourselves. After reading this book, I'm a believer to how bad the bird flu will be and am appalled at how the poultry industry around the world is ignoring the signs and what experts are saying in order to continue making their profit.
Suzanne
Well written. Easy to read. Very interesting. I hope the day soon comes when human and environmental health concerns take precedence over intensive factory farming and big-profit agribusiness. Sadly, I agree with the closing statement of this book... a global pandemic is most likely going to be what forces change, and at an unspeakable human cost.
Shanna
frighteningly interesting. He is extremely well researched and not at all dry.
Kari Schuerch
Kari Schuerch marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Mathias
Mathias marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Sumitra Koutras
Sumitra Koutras marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Lisa Cariello
Lisa Cariello marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Robert
Robert is currently reading it
Oct 31, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Jenny
Jenny added it
Sep 22, 2013
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2013
Jessie
Jessie marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2013
Lona
Lona marked it as to-read
May 23, 2013
Maria Organica
Maria Organica marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2013
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2013
Jeanna
Jeanna marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2013
Chay
Chay marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2012
Truc Pham
Truc Pham marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2012
Michael Greger, M.D., is a physician, author, and internationally recognized professional speaker on a number of important public health issues. Dr. Greger has lectured at the Conference on World Affairs, the National Institutes of Health, and the International Bird Flu Summit, among countless other symposia and institutions, testified before Congress, has appeared on shows such as The Colbert Rep ...more
More about Michael Greger...
Carbophobia: The Scary Truth about America's Low-Carb Craze Heart Failure: Diary of a Third Year Medical Student Waist Away: How to Joyfully Lose Weight and Supercharge Your Life (Get Waisted)