Start by marking “Portraits of Guilt” as Want to Read:
Portraits of Guilt

Portraits of Guilt

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Inside the investigations of the deadly crimes that have shocked our nation -- the Polly Klaas kidnapping, Susan Smith's drownings of her own children, the Oklahoma City bombing -- one woman is the investigative world's secret weapon. You've seen her work: it was her composite drawing that revealed the face of the Unabomber, her hand that put a profile on Oklahoma City's J ...more
Published June 3rd 2003 by Pocket Star Books (first published June 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Portraits of Guilt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Portraits of Guilt

Batsap
Maybe I just didn't get it, but to me this memoir seemed a little trite, sensationalised and self-congratulatory.

I got this book on the assumption that it would provide behind-the-scenes insight into the procedure of criminal profiling, but instead I got 300 plus pages of Boylan complaining about the system and preaching her own method over and over again. I admit that it was interesting the first time to read about how the traditional methods of coming up with a composite face can contaminate e
Catten
Remember the hooded, sunglassed, seemingly generic picture of the Unabomber?

That's the work of forensic artist Jeanne Boylan, author of Portraits of Guilt. This amazing woman, who is also an America's Most Wanted correspondent, has been used to help identify suspects in many high-profile cases, including the drowning of Susan Smith's children, the kidnapping of Ruth Mayer, and the Oklahoma City bombing.

One of the problems with witnesses, Boylan points out in her book, is that police tend not to
Dorcas
Read too long ago to write a review but I remember finding it a fascinating read.
Juanita
Readers' Digest abridges version
William S.
I write mysteries, so I was an easy sell for this book, by a crime insider - she understands the difficult art of portraiture of suspects, from the often scatterbrained accounts of frightened eyewitnesses. Several cases where her efforts made the difference between catching a criminal or not are given, as are cases where injustice was averted. Not everyone's cup of tea, but for those seriously interested in crime detection, this belongs on your shelf!
Diana
A top forensic artist and interviewer gives some of her most lauded cases, including the Polly Klaas case, the Oklahoma City bombing, and the Susan Smith case.

Different from Gibson's book, but just as enthralling. There is no explanation for her artistic abilities though. It's also a little disjointed at times.
Shea
easy, interesting summer read. though i read it to specifically understand the benefit of deep listening when interviewing, it was also very entertaining and informative about the criminal justice system.
Lboylan
I think it was a little silly of me to think that this book would be insightful regarding mechanisms of memory. It's very schmaltzy in style, even if it is written by someone named Boylan.
Vikki
This book is about the woman who profiles America's deadliest criminals. I enjoyed it.
Monica
Gained a huge appreciation for sketch artist Jeanne Boylan.
Anciana
Feb 17, 2012 Anciana marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
How Did I get It?
Sheryl
Sheryl marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Amy Rogers
Amy Rogers marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Margali
Margali marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Petra Scandalito
Petra Scandalito marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Jennifer Varnadore
Jennifer Varnadore marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Mandi
Mandi marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014