Start by marking “The Dead book: A social history of the Grateful Dead” as Want to Read:
The Dead book: A social history of the Grateful Dead

The Dead book: A social history of the Grateful Dead

3.09 of 5 stars 3.09  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Rock music history, for the cult group The Grateful Dead.
Published January 1st 1973 by Links

To ask other readers questions about The Dead book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dead book

John
Well, that was pretty awful. I bought the book when it first came out, back when I was a young dead head. I never got through it back then, now I know why - it's an unstructured, time-leaping weave of musician / stoner / psycho babble that's not particularly coherent. The only possible way to work your way through this book is if you are a dead head, or a dead history buff and you want a glimpse into beat consciousness once or twice removed from the merry pranksters that includes very brief and...more
Mark Nenadov
This book is neat because it is a fairly early look at the Grateful Dead from a social history perspective. It is very intimate. However, the writing style is convoluted and hard to follow. Hard-core Grateful Dead fans will find a lot of interesting tidbits, but I'm afraid others will likely be turned off. If you aren't a hardcore fan or buff, look elsewhere!
Jim
Hank Harrison was one of the many friends who partied, and basically communed with the early Grateful Dead. This book gives many details about what went on in that strange time.
btw, Hank Harrison and his daughter Courtney(Love) are amongst the many hippies on the back cover of the album Aoxomoxoa.
Jim
Jim added it
Jun 25, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Daisy
Daisy added it
Mar 15, 2014
Dyane
Dyane added it
Feb 21, 2014
Bleach
Bleach marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2013
Jolene Matson
Jolene Matson is currently reading it
Oct 12, 2013
Magena
Magena is currently reading it
Jun 30, 2013
Junter
Junter marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2013
David Mysky
David Mysky marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
The Art of Jack Davis! Love Kills: The Assassination of Kurt Cobain Kurt Corbain: Beyond Nirvana  The Assassination of Kurt Cobain Some of My Good Stuff!