Start by marking “Killing Time” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Killing Time

Della Van Hise

Killing Time (Star Trek: The Original Series #24)

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  619 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Second History: a Romulan time-tampering project that has transported the Enterprise and the galaxy into an alternate dimension of reality. Now, Kirk is an embittered young ensign and Spock is a beseiged Starship commander. Lured into a Romulan trap, Captain Spock and Ensign Kirk must free themselves from both their captors and their own altered selves...before the galaxy ...more
Published September 2nd 1987 by Star Trek (first published July 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Killing Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killing Time

Surreysmum
[These notes were made in 1988:]. Now why does Ms. Van Hise's name sound so gosh-darn familiar? I have the feeling that she has written far more inflammatory stuff than this mild and rather interesting tale of time-travel/alternate universe. Because of time-tampering by the Romulans, the crew of the Enterprise find themselves haunted by dreams (shades of Strangers From the Sky) and then slip into an entirely different universe where Spock commands the ship and Kirk is a lowly and embittered ensi ...more
Rebecca
Aug 06, 2014 Rebecca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tonks, who still hasn't actually read it
Recommended to Rebecca by: Tonks, who's always the first to know about these things
Having barely made a dent in the TOS tie-in materials (I only started watching the show a little over a year ago), I was drawn to read this book out-of-sequence by its reputation. I was amused and intrigued by its almost urban legendary status as the Kirk/Spock slash fiction story that actually got a brief publication run as an official tie-in novel, so I made sure to get a hold of the PDF of the "uncensored" first edition.

My verdict as to its aforementioned reputation: yes, there is some signif
Juliana
Jul 30, 2007 Juliana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sff, glbt
VISIBLE SUBTEXT.
Evamaria
Mar 09, 2015 Evamaria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Time travel Not just in the book, but I also time traveled reading it. I have ownedthe German translation of this TOS novel for two decades, andI clearly remember it being one of my favourites.

It was interesting re-reading it (or rather, reading it in the original English for the first time), as it made it really obvious that even back then what drew me to Star Trek were the relationships, most notably the one between Kirk and Spock. Because that's what this novel is about - as the internet has
Mike Crate
May 20, 2016 Mike Crate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, star-trek
Killing Time has a lot going for it, the choice to use temporal manipulation offers so much to the author but alas also means you have to find a way to reverse everything and in that respect it can be a disaster waiting to happen. Events begin small as those on board the Enterprise experience strange dreams which get more vivid until the dreams become the reality and life aboard Enterprise is the dream. Kirk is back as a reluctant Ensign and serving aboard an Alliance starship under the command ...more
Natasha
Jul 04, 2010 Natasha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, sci-fi
This book was actually one of the best Star Trek books I have read so far. (About 20 or so) The beginning was kind of corny, before the alternate universe takes over, but from then on it's a blast. There's enough action to keep the story moving, with enough character interaction to keep me extremely happy.

I enjoy a good Spock/Kirk FRIENDSHIP story, and that's what this brought. Although some might argue this could be viewed as slash, (meaning homosexuality) I don't view it that way. The book was
Daniel Kukwa
Aug 23, 2014 Daniel Kukwa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
It's very intense, in terms of characterization, and it does best when it's exploring the Enterprise crew trying to figure out why their new parallel universe is insanely wrong. But this is also a book that tends to hammer home its points -- both large and small -- with a sledgehammer. The Kirk/Spock relationship is extra intense...and I can see where the original, infamous pulped version of this novel was heading. Frankly, it isn't necessary...and the author could have dialed back the emotional ...more
Julie
This had been one of my favorites since I'm a big fan of alternate universes, but... okay, this is way overwrought. WAY overwrought. I enjoy a good drama-fest, but wow. WAY overwrought. Did I mention it's overwrought? It's overwrought. And why didn't I ever see the glaring homoerotic subtext before? I have lost my innocence!
Lily
Feb 08, 2016 Lily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been years since I've read this book, it was a wonderful experience. Time has been altered, Spock is a captain and Kirk is an ensign the crew is besieged by dreams of a world where things are different. A madness has taken over the the universe and Kirk and Spock must set things right.

I have to mention that the elements that the powers that be found objectionable were much ado about nothing. I found it focussed more on Kirk and Spock's friendship/brothers relationship, something I wish more
Susan
Jul 14, 2015 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Read this in paper on our Lopez Island trip. Pretty ridiculous but oddly fun to read in its way. I probably read this as a kid and didn't catch all the homoeroticism between Kirk and Spock. Did this book start as slash fanfic? The weird nonconsensual mind meld was a bit creepy, too. Way too many references to Romulan and Vulcan eyebrows. Kind of a bizarre book, overall.
Annie
Jan 24, 2015 Annie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Ah, the elusive Killing Time. Bless the person who typed the whole first edition onto a PDF.

The writing is extremely amateurish and I've read much better fanfiction, there's no question. I could go and list the details about where her writing fell short, but it would take too long and I think you all know the kind of mediocrity I'm talking about.

But rating this three stars feels right. The premise was actually enjoyable and interesting, and the Romulans make any story fabulous.

And of course I
Taaya
Jul 08, 2016 Taaya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Keine Ahnung, warum es als zu homoerotisch galt. Fand da weder homoerotisches noch homoromantisches noch Sonstiges drin. Die Aussage, dass Kirk und Spock immer zu einander gehören werden, ganz gleich in welchem Universum, ja, aber sowas hat Edith Keeler auch in 'City on the Edge of Forever' gesagt.
Jessica
Apr 05, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An old favorite that has never really dimmed with time. Over the top and over emotional it stands out as one of my favorites from the old Pocketbook ST line - although I am hard put to think of any of those books that I did not love. They don't write them like this anymore.
[Placeholder review of sorts]
...I evidently didn't find this book memorable, because I just barely remembered enough to figure out that I did read it previously. So I shall have to re-read and then review. And now that I've seen the 2009 movie, I'll have to figure out whether it's anywhere as similar to that in plot as it sounds.
(Actually one of the few things that confirmed I'd read all the way through was the Romulan with Spock, and I remember feeling about this like I did the Weatherwax/Cutan
Jim Neville
Jul 03, 2016 Jim Neville rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ever read a book thinking it's got to get better, so you keep reading? This is one of those books and it NEVER GETS BETTER. Only read this is you truly wish to "Kill Time."
Stephie
i'm going to be honest. i read this solely based off the reviews saying it basically read as slash fic. i know, i have a sick problem. unfortunately, i read a more recent publication (meaning the ultra obvious homoerotic tones were taken out). still though, it was evident enough. and enjoyable enough. though the transition (or lack thereof) between first and second history was a bit confusing and i found myself sympathizing with the second history crew more. maybe that was the point.
either way,
Jack Byrne
Aug 30, 2014 Jack Byrne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A cleverly told story in the Star Trek world. If you can get hold of the unexpurgated original edition with the embossed cover, do so!
Molly Hardee
Aug 16, 2012 Molly Hardee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cannot even express how impressed I was with the story in this ST novel!! It was so original and somehow still kept MOST of the characters canon. Of course, as a fan of K/S, this book was a lovely display of Kirk and Spock's undying friendship/love and it really was touching! Pretty awesome writing, maybe my only complaint is that it read a little bit like a fanfic in some parts and a few typos that we're apparently missed in editing! Otherwise.. Very entertaining read!!
Ronald Wilcox
Excellent addition to the ST universe(s). Romulans go back in time, killing off three people key to creation of the Federation. Their action causes a Second History to be created where Spock is a Captain, Chekov a First Mate, and Kirk an ensign. The breaking of the two universes though is causing insanity and the gang have to try to correct it. Very suspenseful and well written
Chantel
May 28, 2013 Chantel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
I don't know WHY I didn't initially want to read this book, but I randomly read pages before bed until I was hooked. Didn't take long to get into it & now I have to say it's almost one of my favorites. There were a few things that bothered me, but not enough to only give it 4 stars. Good stuff! :D
Charles
Mar 28, 2009 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
An alternate history Star Trek. I really loved Mirror Mirror, the alternate Star Trek Universe in the original series and so I was primed for another such adventure. Pretty enjoyable, even if it isn't quite the Kirk and Spock we know and love.
Crystal
Yet another Trek novel that veers into fanzine-like territory. The first edition contained a scene which came close to being homo-erotic between Spock and Kirk; this was so controversial that in later editions, that scene was excised.
Travis
Feb 05, 2010 Travis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
One of the better 'let's mess with history' Trek stories. The Romulons have altered time, so now the Vulcans run the Federation, and Captain Spock, trying to deal with an embittered ensign Kirk is caught up in events.
Vinnie
Jul 29, 2013 Vinnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the effects of the time ripple. I've developed a routine of the thought process of the Romulans and the arguments between them about what could possibly go wrong with their brilliant plan.
Claudia Nguyen
it's not that good? although it does have it moments some parts just feel a little too cheesy for me
anyhow I like the idea and the way the story revealed its plots and bits
Evamaria
May 19, 2009 Evamaria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
In celebration of the new Star Trek movie (A+ from me!) I'm re-reading one of my favorite old-school Star Trek novels dealing with alternate realities.
Rebecca
Mar 03, 2014 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
An engaging and fun novel that really captures the feel of the original series.
Felicia
Jan 01, 2012 Felicia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually, very good. Interesting characters, interesting plot and compelling.
Wetdryvac Wetdryvac
Mostly caught up in, "Wait, that's not quite lining up," But decent fluff.
Emilyf11
Jan 17, 2012 Emilyf11 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
This was a fantastic time altered adventure.
  • Legacy
  • Enemy Unseen
  • Mindshadow
  • Home Is the Hunter
  • Chain of Attack
  • Dwellers in the Crucible
  • Timetrap
  • Battlestations! (Star Trek: Fortunes Of War, #2)
  • The Vulcan Academy Murders
  • Black Fire
  • Dreams of the Raven (Star Trek #34)
  • Crisis on Centaurus
  • Sanctuary
  • Rules of Engagement
  • My Enemy, My Ally (Star Trek: Rihannsu, #1)
  • Mudd in Your Eye
  • Crossroad
  • Ice Trap
Della Van Hise is a native of Florida, transplanted to California at the age of 21, who has subsequently sunk her roots into the high desert near Joshua Tree National Park. She has not personally seen any aliens since around 1992, but there is rumored to be a secret UFO base underneath her house.

Della's writing started around age 11, when she would bang out some of the very earliest "fan fiction"
More about Della Van Hise...

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 112 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire