Two-Minute Mysteries

Two-Minute Mysteries

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  560 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Included Are: The Case of the Angry Chief; The Case of the Attempted Murder; The Case of the Attic Suicide; The Case of the Balloon Man; The Case of the Bamboo Fence; The Case of the Big Deal; The Case of the Bitter Drink; The Case of the Blackmailer; The Case of the Bogus Robbery; The Case of the Broken Arm; The Case of the Bronze Nymph; The Case of the Bumped Head; The C...more
Published October 1st 1969 by Scholastic (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Two-Minute Mysteries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Two-Minute Mysteries

'Chele
I bought the three books in one. I was at a workshop and the presenter began the workshop by starting to read one of the mysteries. Before she was finished, everyone (all adults) were listening to her finish the story and asking her to read it again so we could solve it. She smiled and said, "I have just shown you the easiest way to get your students' attention." She was right! I have used this book over and over and shown others the "magic" of it. When I was at a private high school, students w...more
Gabby
it was an amazing mind boggling experience
Some really clever little mysteries which demand that you exercise your mind and try to solve them yourselves. Here is one of them.

The Case of the Locked Room

"I think I've been taken for ten thousand dollars, but I can't figure out how it was done," said Archer Skeat, the blind violinist, to Dr. Haledjian, as the two friends sat in the musician's library.

"Last night Marty Scopes dropped by," continued Skeat. "Marty had a ginger ale - and we got to chatting about the locked room mysteries till I...more
Cara
Haha, this is just as hard as I remember! What can I say? Except, now as an adult I don't feel as dumb. This Two-Minute Mysteries was written to intentionally frustrate. It's just silly.

I picked this up at the library, remembering I had a copy when I was younger and I was feeling nostalgic.

The mysteries are hilariously difficult for the intended audience and probably for anyone other than Donald Sobol. Dr. Haledjian?! I can't even pronounce his name or half the names in the mysteries now, let a...more
Chelsi
Consisting of 100 or so clever little mysteries to solve, Two-Minute Mysteres by Donald J. Sobel challenges you to think outside of the box! Each mystery includes a short two-page account of the murder/crime, followed by the inverted answer at the bottom of the page. An excellent thought provoker that I thoroughly enjoyed, I rate Two-Minute Mysteres 4/5 stars.
Steven schofield
Mysteries is one of my all time favorite type of genre i like to read. BUt this book has alot of different stories in it.Which is cool, i thought about it being like diffrent cases like what police do.it had one guy that reminded me of sherlock holmes. i would reccomend this book to anyone that likes good mysteries.
Renie
From the author of the children's Encyclopedia Brown books comes a collection of short mysteries aimed at adults. Each mystery encompasses about a page of text, with the inverted answers included on the bottom of the second page. I enjoyed donning my sleuth hat, reading and re-reading these short vignettes, and trying to figure out who-dun-it. I didn't keep track, but I know there were more cases in which I was left stupified than cases I solved. Towards the end of the book I was more successful...more
Ashley Mckinney
It was a really fun book to read. I would recommend it to a reader of mysteries. Also, because the mysteries are so short, it could be a fun game or activity that can test your brain.
Parker
It wasn't anything special but me and friends had fun reading a few of them while we were camping! Got this from one of the Free Libraries.
Rachel
I liked it. ⭐⭐⭐
James
Aug 27, 2007 James rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: crazy people and/or lobotomy patients
okay, so i know this book is supposed to be for younger readers (nevermind the fact that it's full of suicide and murder), but having recently re-read it (i remember loving it when i was a kid), i'm astounded at some of the jumps in logic that are taken to reach the conclusions of some of these "mysteries." i appreciate books that encourage kids to use their brains, but it seems to me that a lot of these were written with the intent in mind of stumping and frustrating their audience and nothing...more
Giselle
This book was Not really scary it suppose to be mystery but it was pretty good though. I learned they were some good parts that i like like 3 kids needed to Solve a mystery in one whole day. At the they did solve it but they were missing one important thing. That was to find the name of a ghost from the past time and discover what he did in the mystery house were the were sloving the problem. The how could those kids solve that Mystery. Lol
Amanda
This was a good book but most of the mystery's were rather hard.

This has some good stories in it. I loved it!

Good stories.

I liked these books.I really like the stories in these books. I think all older kids (middle school)would like these books. These books are quick reads and quite intresting. These stories are fun to try to solve even though I counld not solve half the mysteries.
Dominique A
Mar 07, 2008 Dominique A rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes mystery and action and is willing to try and solve a mystery. Suitable for all age
Recommended to Dominique by: a friend saw it in the school book fair
This book was pretty interesting. It's 422 pages of non-stop mystery that will leave you on your feet thinking about each and every case. From homicide to theft, this book has it all. The reason I like this book is because it lets you solve the mysteries which is not as easy as it sounds (yes, it does give you the answers later on). This book was really good.
Evan
Rummaging around the Goodwill today for 50-cent reads I saw this, a book I once owned as a child back in the mists of time. I know I never read all of it, as solving little mystery puzzlers was never my forte or interest. But I thought it was a well-done concept, for those who are into this sort of thing. BTW, I did not "re-buy" the book.
Melanie
Much like reading Encyclopedia Brown books without all that pesky backstory. Also, several of the mysteries weren't things a kid would know (wine serving, firearms, etc) and of course, with it written in 1967, there were several obsolete answers (what's with the fixation on Pullman train cars?) and at least one that was a myth.
Russell Hayes
This book had a pretty good selection of mysteries to work your brain. It would probably be better to slim it down a little though. Many of the mysteries were literally impossible without knowing some bit of obscure background information. If not for those, I would have rated this higher.
Bobsie67
Back in my teaching days, I used some of the books in the "Two-minute Mystery" series as brainteasers for my students. All books pretty muc the same and geared towards readers 7-9th grades. Not all the mysteries work since some of the answers requires leaps in logic beyond the text.
Elizabeth
Picked it up for a bus ride across a state. Cheap, very short stories, and perfect for the ride. Looks likes it for a younger audience but isn't. Some mysteries easier than others. Most are pretty easy, some will leave you puzzling, until you cheat and look for the answer.
Kit-T
Dec 05, 2008 Kit-T rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: to someone that just wants a very short and challenging thought for the day
Recommended to Kit-T by: I read Sobol's mysteries to my children
Hubby and I have enjoyed this reading each day. They are very brief (front and back of one page). If you miss a night, no big deal because it is not a continous reading. Hubby is amazed at the overall knowledge the author has had to have to write each short story.
Andrew (Ace)
Good fun. I've dipped into this book many times and, having a clear-out on my bookshelf, I went through the whole book once last time.

I'm sure this is really intended for adults, given the content. On that basis, I would say that the difficulty is about right. :-)
Bill
Never quite as satisfying as Sobol's Encyclopedia Brown books, but still fun in the way the detectives would solve the mystery of the moment with a solution that seemed out of left field at first, but actually made a lot of sense once they explained it.
Orangegirl8
Normally, I don't read mysteries, but these are fun to try and solve and each story is only two minutes (or maybe one if you're a fast reader). These are good for people who don't normally read mysteries
Angela
This book is very good, it is a series of short stories of mysteries that you have to solve. It gets your brain to think about what you are reading and challenges you to understand.
Roshni
These short mysteries are enjoyable to puzzle out. By the end of the book, you begin to see the pattern, but until then you are stumped by a majority of them. Good mental exercise.
Emily
This never left my nightstand in middle school. I have read it countless times, to the point where I know all the answers to the mysteries by the first paragraph. Love it!
Lori
I think many of these short mysteries could be used in the classroom as a quick thinking and partner activity. It would serve to get the brain going and build community.
Rae
Read back in the day. I loved Encyclopedia Brown, Alfred Hitchock Presents volumes, and the Three Investigators too. Wow, just noticed this was first published in 1969!
Michelle
For some reason I loved mysteries... This book is full of small mysteries that you get to figure out... Some of them were hard and clever... I really liked that book!
mystery 1 1 Oct 26, 2013 01:15PM
  • Who Killed Harlowe Thrombey? (Choose Your Own Adventure, #9)
  • Magic Eye 2: Now You See It... (Magic Eye, #2)
  • Windcatcher
  • The House On Hackman's Hill
  • The Lost Jewels of Nabooti (Choose Your Own Adventure, #10)
  • Five Little Peppers Midway (Five Little Peppers, #2)
  • If You Only Knew (Friendship Ring, #1)
  • Fatal Forces
  • I Spy: A Book of Picture Riddles
  • Blue Moon (Circle of Three,# 7)
  • Basil of Baker Street
  • The Star Fisher
  • The Tattooed Potato and Other Clues
  • Sir Cumference and the Isle of Immeter
  • Ghosts Beneath Our Feet (An Apple Paperback)
  • Mystery of the Desert Giant (Hardy Boys, #40)
  • Cat in the Crypt (Animal Ark Hauntings #2)
  • Dreadful Acts (The Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #2)
Donald J. Sobol was an award-winning writer best known for his children's books, especially the Encyclopedia Brown mystery series. Mr. Sobol passed away in July of 2012.
More about Donald J. Sobol...
Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective (Encyclopedia Brown, #1) Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret Pitch (Encyclopedia Brown, #2) Encyclopedia Brown Takes the Cake! (Encyclopedia Brown, #15 1/2) Encyclopedia Brown Solves Them All (Encyclopedia Brown, #5) Encyclopedia Brown Finds the Clues (Encyclopedia Brown, #3)