Enterprise

Enterprise (Star Trek: The Original Series)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  1,298 ratings  ·  43 reviews
James T. Kirk is the youngest man to be promoted to the rank of captain in Federation history. His crew consists of a first officer who finds him impetuous; a chief engineer who finds him arrogent; a chief medical officer who finds him trifling; and a helmsman who wants a transfer.

Published January 15th 1988 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 1986)

marissa
I first read this book years ago when I was in junior high, and thought it was amazing. I re-read it a couple of weeks ago and found that I still think it's amazing, but for entirely different reasons; it is amazing in same the way as, say, the movie Cool As Ice starring Vanilla Ice. Let me break it down for you:

This book is about the first time Kirk takes command of the Enterprise. Spock misses Captain Pike, Sulu wishes he were on a different ship, Scotty downright hates him, and Janice Rand is...more
Melissa
Excerpt:
But the young crew, which would later become the legendary space explorers, quickly puts aside their differences when a monstrous starship appears on their nascent flight path

Review:
This review is particularly...more
Cheryl in CC NV
Relatively long and complex, and is best enjoyed by fans because it's fun to say "oh, so that's why Kirk does these things this way during TOS, and that's what the 'feud' between Spock and McCoy is all about" etc.

But still enjoyable, I think, for naive readers. The idea of having the Enterprise ferrying a vaudeville troupe and then encountering not only Klingons but a new sentient species (note the *literal* world-building explored), is purely entertaining in its own right.

I particularly liked...more
Bain
Jun 27, 2007 Bain rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: gays
this is one of the worst books by a good writer. THERE IS A FLYING HORSE ON THE ENTERPRISE. DO NOT READ THIS BOOK
Tony
One of the deeper and better written Trek novels. Not one of the "numbered" novels which are merely of a TV episode scope.
Deranged Pegasus
A wonderful introduction to the universe of Star Trek: The Original Series. The depth of the characters given by McIntyre was exquisite and the background of reminiscence was beautiful as it gave even greater depth to the individuals and their world. More than anything I loved the tiny mentions sprinkled throughout the book of quirks and aspects of alien-ness, such as Mr Spock becoming lightheaded from the lighter gravity of the Enterprise. Even more was the devotion to give an alien race, and o...more
John Longeway
This is, in my opinion, one of the most interesting and well written Star Trek novels ever released. Ms. McIntyre is a skilled wordsmith and, in her hands, watching the relationships develop between the main Star Trek cast on their earliest adventure is a joy to behold. Many years after first reading this book, Spock and Kirk dismissing each other on first meeting (Kirk had little use for science officers, who try to provide too much information when time is short and Spock had little use for he...more
Steven
I didn't enjoy this book when I read it about a year ago. I may give it another chance though. It tells the tale of the Enterprise's maiden voyage, much like the J.J. Abrams's storyline direction, but geared toward the original series' crew. I enjoy reading into these characters, but I feel this book is too relaxed. I remember thinking to myself "Christ! Someone fire a phaser or something already!" I did make it all the way through and there is a deep space encounter later on, I think with the K...more
Glen Robinson
I hesitate to write a review on a book I didn't finish, but just the fact that I didn't finish it should say something. Because Vonda McIntyre has a reputation as one of the founding writers of the Star Trek legacy, I suspected that it would be a good story. But I found it plodding, filled with fluff and frankly, boring. I find that my reaction to books and films is often colored by my state of mind on the day or time I read them. And that may be the case here. But whatever. I will consign it to...more
Mallori
Did not finish. It just felt a bit too campy to me with the whole traveling vaudville act being transported by the Enterprise and too mary sue with the act's leader. Apparently the second half of the book gets better, but I just couldn't get interested. I understand this is a "pre-quel" but the characters didn't sound like themselves in the chapters I read, which was why I wanted to read a star trek book. Maybe I will have better luck with the shorter novellas.
R. C.
Great characterization! This author knows her crew. A refreshing read after the emotional muck of the last movie, especially for a Trekker who prefers the Vulcans that came out of the writers who at least had taken a little logic in high school. The dénouement was kind of long and not the slightest bit Dickensian otherwise. But that's okay; I can watch reruns of the happy parts of the ending.
Joel Kirk
Enterprise: The First Adventure was a book I've known since it was released - circa 1986 - but I'm just now getting around to reading it.

The book focuses on the first meeting of the crew from the Kirk-era, and the crew getting used to one another prior to command being transferred to Kirk from the previous commander, Christopher Pike.

The book takes its time with the setup as we are introduced to the characters. There is no real plot or story, even though the mission is for the Enterprise to tra...more
John Tatum
This is perhaps one of the best if not the best Star Trek Original Series novel. Written by one of the "inner circle" authors. First got my hands on it in paperback (I NEVER BUY PAPERBACK), and as soon as I read it about four times and it started falling apart I immediately hunted down a "like new" hardcover to add it to my book collection. It made that sort of an impression on me.
Dustin
Started out slow, then it got stupid, then it remained stupid for the rest of the novel. The vaudeville act was reminiscent of one of the more awful TOS episodes, the author went way overboard on Scotty's accent, and I never cared at all about the boring "out for revenge" Klingon that every Trek author ever uses.
Justin
As a kid, this was one of my favourite books. After re-reading it as an adult, I found it to be fairly idiotic. Weak plot, weak writing, weak connections... I still have wonderful childhood memories of it, so I would say that it is great for a younger audience and leave it at that.
Alex
I started off thinking that I would like the story, but it became a little too ridiculous to believe. A flying horse, a costumed monkey, a juggling Vulcan, bad Shakespeare...it was all just too much.
Branwen *Blaidd Drwg*
"I believed," Spock said, "when I first observed you, that I could not work with you. You are emotional, headstrong, and stubborn. But I have come to understand that these differences between us should be valued, not despised. I realized that working with you would be a valuable, if difficult, experiance."

"Thanks for the compliment," Kirk said dryly.

This book details the first assignment of the USS Enterprise after Captain James Kirk takes over the ship and crew from Christopher Pike. Many of th...more
David King
“Enterprise: The First Adventure” by Vonda N. McIntyre is a Star Trek novel that charts the first voyage of the USS Enterprise under the command of Captain Kirk. The interesting aspect of this novel to me was that it was written in 1986 and appears to have been one of the first official attempts at trying to capture an event in the Star Trek Universe that was outside the period of the series or movies that had been released up to that point. Considering the wealth of novels we now have that add...more
Isabell
I was in the mood for some Trekkie-books last week, so after listening the series continuation, The Red King, I also read a prequel to the original series, which narrates the story of Captain Kirk’s first mission aboard the Enterprise. His first mission consists in ferrying a cabaret group to the locations of their performances. Kirk feels that he has deserved a more exciting mission, but he doesn’t know yet that his ship will encounter a yet unknown species during their travels.
In comparison th...more
Read Ng
This was a re-read. Now I understand why I put it away for so long. It is long on character building and short on action. Not the best story. It was written to explain and introduce you to the Star Trek universe, for the uninformed reader. There was too much of an attempt to bring in too many story character expansions than needed into this story. I would not have introduced the Vulcan Mind Meld into this first adventure. It should have been introduced in a later "early" story. If you have seen...more
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/180876.html[return][return]The actual plot is just a wee bit thin, but there's enough characterisation to make it interesting - not only consistent with what I think I remember from the original series, but also working in new material in a way that seems to make it all more coherent. (I have made the same comment - weak plot, great characterisation - about her Hugo and Nebula winning novel Dreamsnake.) I don't recommen that people seek this one out, but if you happen...more
Heather Domin
I've loved McIntyre's Trek books since I was a little girl, but somehow this one eluded me until I found it at a library book sale last spring. On page 10, with that first image of Spock swimming, I was sucked in and hooked until the end. The story is okay, but it's the characters I love - I especially like what she did with Rand and Spock. Her take on Saavik is still my favorite, but I think this might come second.

Reread May 2013: sticking with my "cracktastic character love" review from back i...more
Michael
When I was younger, this books was brilliant, stunning and I couldn't put it down. Of course, I was travelling cross country with my parents, moving so it wasn't like I had a lot of choice.

I still recall enjoying this one immensely, thinking it among the best books I'd ever read at a tender age. Now, looking back I realize that it's an enjoyable story that violates the fire out of continuity. But if you can put aside the continuity issues, you'll enjoy it.

A popcorn book. Nothing more, nothing...more
rytr_1
Mar 01, 2008 rytr_1 rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans looking for quick fix of favorite original Trek characters
Not exactly everything I was hoping this novel to be, but has a certain charm to it. The first hundred-odd pages are fun, particularly in the character interactions as Kirk meets Spock, Spock meets McCoy, and Janice Rand gets a surprising amount of text devoted to her. Then a Klingon refugee shows up, there's a flying horse and a traveling vaudeville troupe in space, and a first contact with a mysterious species to clutter the plot in the second half. This book is a mixed bag.
Daniel Kukwa
I wasn't crazy about the plot (it's rather dull-ish), but this is more a book about character than anything else. In Vonda McIntyre's hands, the Star Trek crew always seems to come alive, especially the occasionally neglected characters such as Uhura, Sulu...and one hell of a surprising introduction to Yeoman Janice Rand. Enjoy this book for its sumptuous handling of the main characters, and take the actual story with a patient grain of salt.
Jessica
The Enterprise's first mission with James T Kirk at the helm. This is the one where Vanli tries to get Kirk drunk before the change of command ceremony, Sulu tries to get transferred off the Enterprise, and Spock tries to mindmeld with the flying people. Also featuring Stephen, the pervert Vulcan; Athene, the flying horse; Lindy, the magician; and Koronin, the renegade Klingon who stole the Empire's best new toy to try to make trouble for the Federation.
Travis
Nice book, telling us the story of when Kirk first took on the job as Captain of the 'Enterprise'. Not a huge cosmic epic of a story, but has the feel of a TV episode and does a nice job of characterization of the original crew.
While the alien circus was a neat idea, they feel a bit tacked on to this story and don't quite fit.
Mark McGinty
This book was super campy and I'm not sure it was supposed to be. But it definitely captured the spirit and fun of Star Trek. The interactions between Kirk, Spock and McCoy were dead-on but who the heck where these circus performers and why in the world were they on the Enterprise??? A bit long but an entertaining read.
Lynne Stringer
I don't know how Trekkies found this book, and if it measured up to their understanding of what the Enterprise's first voyage was like, but I enjoyed it. I think Vonda McIntyre is a very talented writer, and I found her take on what might have happened entertaining, if a little on the long side.
Read1000books
1 1/2 stars. This is the story where Kirk becomes captain of the Enterprise (no relation to the story line of the latest movie, Star Trek; totally different plots). Even though it was the first adventure of the original crew, the overall story was disappointing.
  • Final Frontier
  • Strangers from the Sky
  • Time for Yesterday (Star Trek: The Yesterday Saga, #2)
  • The Tears of the Singers
  • The Lost Years (Star Trek: The Lost Years, #1)
  • The Vulcan Academy Murders
  • Ishmael
  • Uhura's Song
  • My Enemy, My Ally (Star Trek: Rihannsu, #1)
  • Timetrap
  • Home Is the Hunter
  • Killing Time
  • Dreams of the Raven
  • Rules of Engagement
  • Star Trek: The New Voyages (Star Trek Adventures, #2)
  • Prime Directive (Star Trek: Worlds in Collision, #2)
Vonda Neel McIntyre is a U.S. science fiction author. She is one of the first successful graduates of the Clarion Science fiction writers workshop. She attended the workshop in 1970. By 1973 she had won her first Nebula Award, for the novelette "Of Mist, and Grass and Sand." This later became part of the novel Dreamsnake, which won both the Hugo and Nebula Awards. The novelette and novel both conc...more
More about Vonda N. McIntyre...
Dreamsnake The Crystal Star (Star Wars) Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2) Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #3) The Entropy Effect