Start by marking “Below the Surface” as Want to Read:
Below the Surface

Below the Surface

She surfaced from the depths of the sea… and was terrifyingly, inexplicably alone

Briana Devon knows her twin sister would never deliberately leave her—but when she emerges from underwater, Daria and their boat have vanished. Fighting rough waves and a fast-approaching storm, Bree doesn't have time to question:

if she wants to survive, she has to swim.

Exhausted and terrified
Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Published January 22nd 2008 by Mira (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Below the Surface, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Below the Surface

Caitlin
Aug 02, 2009 Caitlin rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009
Not the best book, but not the worst, either. The Mira imprint does some good authors, but I wasn't impressed with this one.

The premise is pretty interesting - you come up from scuba diving & the dive boat your twin sister was piloting is gone. You're left alone at sea with a storm coming up & sharks coming around. What'll happen next?

Good premise that was sadly poorly realized. I didn't much believe in the romance between our heroine & her knight in shining armor. I didn't much beli
Destiny
Nov 11, 2008 Destiny rated it really liked it
Just think of one of your worst nightmares and this book opens with it...a scuba diver surfaces from the ocean to discover she has been abandoned at sea. She's alone in shark infested waters... Got chill bumps yet?

The suspense is there, but the story definitely lost some of its momentum for me as I was reading. It was a great idea and great story.
Paula Kramer
Feb 18, 2017 Paula Kramer rated it really liked it
The first couple of chapters, I didn't think I would like this at all. I thought it was going to be a mushy kind of love story. It began to develop, and by the time I finished it, I liked it. It was about twin sisters who ran a scuba diving business and one of them is killed on a suspicious boat accident. The other twin won't rest as she knows her sister wouldn't have drown. Yes, there was a love interest, but it was more interesting then mushy.
Mar 30, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
When scuba diver Briana Devon surfaces from the Gulf of Mexico, she expects to see her twin sister Daria and their boat waiting for her. She sees nothing but a storm quickly approaching. Briana knows Daria would never leave her at sea on her own. After barely surviving a long swim to a small barrier island and being resuscitated by local Cole De Roca, Briana is on a mission to find her missing sister. As Briana and Cole investigate Daria's disappearance, Briana comes to realize she may not have ...more
Tracey
Jun 19, 2012 Tracey rated it liked it
This book begins with a woman floating in the ocean, her ship having left her as she was scuba diving. Her twin sister who was manning the boat is nowhere to be seen and there's a terrible thunderstorm. She is saved (of course) by a handsome guy on a sailboat and than she begins to try to figure out the mystery of her sister's disappearance. Kind of predictable. The bad guys were too set up by the author.
Leslie Callahan
Oct 07, 2012 Leslie Callahan rated it it was ok

Boring in the beginning, took a lot of force to continue it. Some of the repetition got old (ie: Sams hate & Bree knowing EVERYTHING about her sister etc). The blossoming romance didn't seem very realistic to me. Glad I finished it but probably won't recommend it. Love some of her other books though!
Adina
Feb 05, 2010 Adina rated it it was ok
This felt like a twisted Sweet Valley High book written for adults. I didn't hate reading it, but it all just seemed a bit too straight-line for me.

Also, I'm embarrassed to admit it but, I found this book in the Romance section at my local public library. I think it should be removed from that section because it placed hardly any emphasis on romance and/or sex at all.
Kin
Sep 15, 2013 Kin rated it liked it
Shelves: very-nice
Not bad. But if you don't have patience, you may put the book down immediately. Predictable. Really. Karen Harper tries to introduce new suspects but I stuck with my prediction. Apparently, I was right and the thrill was gone. So... not really exciting. Information overload about scuba diving which is good. If a book was amazing, I would surely re-read it. Sadly, this isn't one of those.
Janet
Aug 22, 2012 Janet rated it it was ok
This book was ok, I mean it wasn't horrible and it got me interested in the story line but the way this author portrayed a spanish accent was horrid....it was really very annoying. I also found some of the writings and grammar to be completely off and I am a stickler for good grammar in a published book. This was by far not my favorite book and I really would not recommend this to anyone.
Carolyn
Dec 23, 2010 Carolyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: harper-karen
This book grabs you from the very first page! Abandoned on a dive, miles from shore, with a raging storm and sharks swimming around you. Oh my!

Edge of your seat kind of book. Never figured it out and I usually do!
Starla
Apr 17, 2010 Starla rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
This was a very good mystery. I never could decide who the murderer was. I kept guessing clear up to the point of discovery. I have twin daughters, so the storyline was difficult. But, all-in-all this was a very good read.
Dianna
Nov 14, 2012 Dianna rated it liked it
More like 3 1/2 stars. Good story, but the writing is a little pedestrian. I think that's how I want to say it. I don't want to sound like a snot, my writing isn't that great either. LOL! But maybe as good as this. I should really get back to doing some writing instead of just reading.
Andrea
Sep 26, 2008 Andrea rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Insomniacs
Zzzzzzzzzzz. The auther felt the need to forcefully lead the reader - no, manhandle the reader as if we were dunces. I stopped at page 72 and decided to use the book as mulch for my lawn...I hate waste.
Lisa
Jul 18, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing
This book didn't get as good reviews from other people....but I have loved other books from this author and I LOVED this one! I am a hopeless romantic and this includes suspense too. May be cheesy for some, but not me.
Leslie
Jul 16, 2008 Leslie rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2008
I have read a few of her other books and enjoyed them. This was a good read, a bit extra fluff to it than is necessary for the story line though. It could have easily ended about 100 pages sooner than it did.
Jenni
Sep 11, 2008 Jenni rated it liked it
It was ok. Quick read.
Marissa
Mar 26, 2011 Marissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Quick and entertaining read! There is romance, an action-packed mystery, and plenty of engaging characters.
Hope McCormick
Jan 01, 2012 Hope McCormick rated it it was ok
I mildly enjoyed the descriptions of Florida's environment. Otherwise, just blah.
Mitchie R
Mar 07, 2010 Mitchie R rated it it was amazing
I loved it!! There are a few holes in the plot, but for the most part, it was highly entertaining. No really foul language, no sexual details, no crass looks and "sex" in their gaze.
Lisa Renfro
Jan 18, 2013 Lisa Renfro rated it really liked it
I like it..kept you guessing..Good story
Valoree
Feb 29, 2008 Valoree rated it liked it
Not a book I usually choose , picked it up in the Twin Cities Airport , It was ok burned 4.5 hours of airtime
Stephanie Strausberger
Another good romantic suspense by Karen Harper. Always an unexpected twist. Again, I've found another author I love.
Mar 07, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it
It was good, but not the ending I would have chosen.
Michelle
I didn't enjoy this one as much as I enjoy her historical mysteries. It was a bit too sappy for me.
Michelle
Sep 07, 2009 Michelle rated it really liked it
Excellent book, so full of suspense. It kept you guessing to the end what actually happened.
Nancy
Apr 08, 2008 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Story drew me in immediately--one of those books which you want to finish, but are sad when you do!
Katina
May 16, 2013 Katina rated it liked it
Up in the air between 3 stars and 4. It was a good murder mystery. A little predictable in places.
Pamela
Nov 23, 2014 Pamela rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
This was just okay for me. I thought the writing was pedestrian and repetitive. The book did get a little better at the end but still just okay.
Wendy Chaney
Mar 20, 2015 Wendy Chaney rated it really liked it
Thought it was pretty good. I was able to read through it not once but twice
Jennifer Lowery
May 14, 2012 Jennifer Lowery rated it liked it
The romance between Briona and Cole wasn't that believable. Almsot too mushy gushy. The plot was good, but could have been re written for more edgier/suspense. But all in all, not a bad beach read.
  • Last Girl Dancing
  • A Conspiracy of Ravens (Lady Trent Mysteries #2)
  • Share No Secrets
  • A Cold Day in Hell (Bayou #9)
  • The Widow and the Wastrel (Americana, Ohio, #35)
  • No Escape
  • Out of Time
  • Dream Groom: Brides of Bradley House
  • Night of the Creepy Things (Rotten School, #14)
  • The Assassin (Selena McCaffrey, #1)
  • Vanishing Point (Inspector Jack Brady, #2)
  • The Real Mother
  • The Ruby
  • Watching Amanda
  • Butterfly
A New York Times and USA Today bestselling author, Karen Harper is a former college English instructor (The Ohio State University) and high school literature and writing teacher. A lifelong Ohioan, Karen and her husband Don divide their time between the midwest and the southeast, both locations she has used in her books. Besides her American settings, Karen loves the British Isles, where her Scott ...more
More about Karen Harper...