Start by marking “Below the Surface” as Want to Read:
Below the Surface

Below the Surface

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  321 ratings  ·  33 reviews
She surfaced from the depths of the sea... and was terrifyingly, inexplicably aloneBriana Devon knows her twin sister would never deliberately leave her--but when she emerges from underwater, Daria and their boat have vanished. Fighting rough waves and a fast-approaching storm, Bree doesn't have time to question:

if she wants to survive, she has to swim.

Exhausted and terrif
Published January 22nd 2008 by Mira (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Below the Surface, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Below the Surface

Caitlin
Not the best book, but not the worst, either. The Mira imprint does some good authors, but I wasn't impressed with this one.

The premise is pretty interesting - you come up from scuba diving & the dive boat your twin sister was piloting is gone. You're left alone at sea with a storm coming up & sharks coming around. What'll happen next?

Good premise that was sadly poorly realized. I didn't much believe in the romance between our heroine & her knight in shining armor. I didn't much beli
Destiny
Just think of one of your worst nightmares and this book opens with it...a scuba diver surfaces from the ocean to discover she has been abandoned at sea. She's alone in shark infested waters... Got chill bumps yet?

The suspense is there, but the story definitely lost some of its momentum for me as I was reading. It was a great idea and great story.
Pamela
Nov 24, 2014 Pamela rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
This was just okay for me. I thought the writing was pedestrian and repetitive. The book did get a little better at the end but still just okay.
Melissa
Secrets below the surface, everyone has secrets but hopefully they don't kill us in real life :-)
Wendy Chaney
Thought it was pretty good. I was able to read through it not once but twice
Tracey
This book begins with a woman floating in the ocean, her ship having left her as she was scuba diving. Her twin sister who was manning the boat is nowhere to be seen and there's a terrible thunderstorm. She is saved (of course) by a handsome guy on a sailboat and than she begins to try to figure out the mystery of her sister's disappearance. Kind of predictable. The bad guys were too set up by the author.
Adina
This felt like a twisted Sweet Valley High book written for adults. I didn't hate reading it, but it all just seemed a bit too straight-line for me.

Also, I'm embarrassed to admit it but, I found this book in the Romance section at my local public library. I think it should be removed from that section because it placed hardly any emphasis on romance and/or sex at all.
Janet
This book was ok, I mean it wasn't horrible and it got me interested in the story line but the way this author portrayed a spanish accent was horrid....it was really very annoying. I also found some of the writings and grammar to be completely off and I am a stickler for good grammar in a published book. This was by far not my favorite book and I really would not recommend this to anyone.
Kin
Not bad. But if you don't have patience, you may put the book down immediately. Predictable. Really. Karen Harper tries to introduce new suspects but I stuck with my prediction. Apparently, I was right and the thrill was gone. So... not really exciting. Information overload about scuba diving which is good. If a book was amazing, I would surely re-read it. Sadly, this isn't one of those.
Leslie Callahan

Boring in the beginning, took a lot of force to continue it. Some of the repetition got old (ie: Sams hate & Bree knowing EVERYTHING about her sister etc). The blossoming romance didn't seem very realistic to me. Glad I finished it but probably won't recommend it. Love some of her other books though!
Dianna
More like 3 1/2 stars. Good story, but the writing is a little pedestrian. I think that's how I want to say it. I don't want to sound like a snot, my writing isn't that great either. LOL! But maybe as good as this. I should really get back to doing some writing instead of just reading.
Starla
This was a very good mystery. I never could decide who the murderer was. I kept guessing clear up to the point of discovery. I have twin daughters, so the storyline was difficult. But, all-in-all this was a very good read.
Lisa
This book didn't get as good reviews from other people....but I have loved other books from this author and I LOVED this one! I am a hopeless romantic and this includes suspense too. May be cheesy for some, but not me.
Carolyn
This book grabs you from the very first page! Abandoned on a dive, miles from shore, with a raging storm and sharks swimming around you. Oh my!

Edge of your seat kind of book. Never figured it out and I usually do!
Leslie
I have read a few of her other books and enjoyed them. This was a good read, a bit extra fluff to it than is necessary for the story line though. It could have easily ended about 100 pages sooner than it did.
Andrea
Sep 26, 2008 Andrea rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Insomniacs
Zzzzzzzzzzz. The auther felt the need to forcefully lead the reader - no, manhandle the reader as if we were dunces. I stopped at page 72 and decided to use the book as mulch for my lawn...I hate waste.
Jennifer Lowery
The romance between Briona and Cole wasn't that believable. Almsot too mushy gushy. The plot was good, but could have been re written for more edgier/suspense. But all in all, not a bad beach read.
Mitchie R
I loved it!! There are a few holes in the plot, but for the most part, it was highly entertaining. No really foul language, no sexual details, no crass looks and "sex" in their gaze.
Valoree
Not a book I usually choose , picked it up in the Twin Cities Airport , It was ok burned 4.5 hours of airtime
Stephanie Strausberger
Another good romantic suspense by Karen Harper. Always an unexpected twist. Again, I've found another author I love.
Michelle
I didn't enjoy this one as much as I enjoy her historical mysteries. It was a bit too sappy for me.
Katina
Up in the air between 3 stars and 4. It was a good murder mystery. A little predictable in places.
Idyllwilde
So bad. So unbelievably badly written. It was a throw-away book, and I don't throw away books lightly. Pukey.
Marissa
Quick and entertaining read! There is romance, an action-packed mystery, and plenty of engaging characters.
Michelle
Excellent book, so full of suspense. It kept you guessing to the end what actually happened.
Nancy
Story drew me in immediately--one of those books which you want to finish, but are sad when you do!
Hope McCormick
I mildly enjoyed the descriptions of Florida's environment. Otherwise, just blah.
Nancy
interesting-I have enjoyed some of her other books more, but a good read.
Lisa Renfro
I like it..kept you guessing..Good story
Melonie
Captivating from start to finish!
  • Last Girl Dancing
  • Sonnet to a Dead Contessa (Lady Trent Mystery #3)
  • Torn Apart
  • Night of the Creepy Things (Rotten School, #14)
  • A Cold Day in Hell
  • Dream Groom: Brides of Bradley House
  • Share No Secrets
  • Out of Time
  • Billionaire's Proposition (Silhouette Desire, #1699)
  • Vanishing Point (Inspector Jack Brady, #2)
  • Kiss of Death
  • Watching Amanda
  • The Assassin (Selena McCaffrey, #1)
  • The Ruby
  • The Great Alone
  • Dying Breath
A New York Times and USA Today bestselling author, Karen Harper is a former college English instructor (The Ohio State University) and high school literature and writing teacher. A lifelong Ohioan, Karen and her husband Don divide their time between the midwest and the southeast, both locations she has used in her books. Besides her American settings, Karen loves the British Isles, where her Scott ...more
More about Karen Harper...
The Last Boleyn The Queen's Governess The First Princess of Wales Mistress Shakespeare The Poyson Garden (Elizabeth I, #1)