Start by marking “The Tombs of Anak (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Tombs of Anak (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #3)

The Tombs of Anak (The Cooper Kids Adventures #3)

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,285 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
When Jay and Lila Cooper enter the cave-tombs of Anak with their archaeologist father, they hope to find a co-worker who has unaccountably disappeared. Instead, they stumble onto a frightening religion and new mysteries that soon put them all in incredible danger. The third book of the Cooper Kids Adventures.
Published July 14th 2004 by Crossway (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Tombs of Anak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tombs of Anak

Ed
Nov 19, 2015 Ed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, teens, childrens
I do really enjoy reading this fantasy series and how well Peretti uses Scripture to explain Salvation to the lost people they happen upon. Good book for teens.
Heather
Oct 12, 2014 Heather rated it liked it
I liked this one and it didn't scare me too bad, maybe because the demon-creatures in it seemed pretty bug-like and not too deeply dark and evil. Still, as an adult I have a little bit of w problem with the genre. Probably an unnecessary qualm, but the use of spiritual warfare and demons in fantastic fiction seems like it confused and unsettled me as a kid more than it should have. It seems too much a part of that branch of evangelicalism that focuses way too much on spiritual warfare and the pr ...more
Desiree
It doesn't touch This Present Darkness or Piercing the Darkness which I just finished reading before The Tombs of Anak. (Perhaps I should have waited a bit longer?) It was pretty decent, but what really ruins it for me is the idea that a descendant of the giants, one of the Nephilim, can be saved. This is Scripturally inaccurate. The See of the Serpent (Nephilim) are without redemption; it's not possible for them to be saved because they are the product of the unholy union between fallen angels ...more
Laura Verret
When the Coopers agreed to conduct an archaeological excavation in the tombs of Anak, they expected it to be exciting and unusual… but not deadly. But when a member of their team disappears after descending into the tombs, and the surrounding villagers warn them of the menacing power of their god, Ha-Raphah, the Coopers begin to sense that dark powers are at work amongst the tombs and townsfolk.

Can the Coopers work out just who or what this Ha-Raphah is before they too fall before its power?

Disc
Carissa
Feb 05, 2015 Carissa rated it it was amazing
I've read Peretti's books since I was twelve or so, meaning quite a few years. But some of my favorites remain his Cooper Kids adventures and at the top of that list is The Tombs of Anak. Supernaturally moving and extremely creepy, this book doses you with adrenaline as the Cooper family runs from peril to peril all while in search of the truth, a constant theme in all of Peretti's work. The audiobook was published a few years ago, read by Peretti himself, and is superb. Get your hands on a copy ...more
April Nichole
Dec 28, 2009 April Nichole rated it really liked it
Between this one and the first two books of this series the second is still my favorite. This one was still able to pull me in at times though.

The Coopers meet who was known as The High Priestess of Ha-Raphah, Mara the Sorceress. She challenged Dr. Cooper to two riddles. If he got them right she would spare his children’s lives. Of course because it was only a couple of chapters into the book he was able to answer them but if it had been me I wouldn’t have been able to. I stink at riddles. I tho
Emma Filbrun
Sep 20, 2015 Emma Filbrun rated it liked it

I’ve been seeing The Cooper Kids Adventure Series come up frequently lately, so when I saw The Tombs of Anak on a friend’s bookshelf, I decided to borrow it to see what these books are like. I wasn’t real surprised. I read a few of Frank Peretti’s books some 20-25 years ago, so I knew what his writing style is like. If you are looking for a page-turner that will get the adrenaline going, this is definitely one of those!

Read my full review here.

Jennifer Robb
This is book 3 in the series and so far, each one has taken on a local legend with a magical connotation and related it back to a Biblical principle.

I wish the author had not made Lila, the only Christian female, so scared much of the time compared to the other characters in the series, if only so little girls would have a character to relate to in the series.
Wes
Nov 03, 2014 Wes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a claustrophobic young-adult thriller that I mostly remember for being terrifying at the time because the monsters/demons in this one turned out to *gulp* be real. Anyhow Peretti is actually a completely competent writer of thrillers and his characters are actually not one-dimensional though he always throws in his preferred Christian message.
Sus
Apr 18, 2016 Sus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frank Peretti is a very good author. This teen adventure series has supernatural elements.
Kristine Mcginnis
Jan 20, 2015 Kristine Mcginnis rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite children's books. It is also one of the scariest books I have ever read.
E. Writes
Oct 20, 2014 E. Writes rated it really liked it
Fast paced, thriller type subject, the take on Biblical history was fun and entertaining.
Moriah
Feb 28, 2014 Moriah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
LOVED IT!!! super suspenseful and well written :D
Gerald
Sep 30, 2015 Gerald rated it liked it
Honestly I couldn't get into this one. It was all too fluffy and superficial. It felt rushed and most of the characters were not well developed. I enjoyed the first two installments more than this one. Dunno if I should go further or not with this series. We will see...
Kelly José
Oct 22, 2008 Kelly José rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Being the third book in the Cooper Kids Adventure Series, I remember that this was my favorite. I literally had nightmares about this book, despite the fact that it has a very Christian theme for it. I couldn't help it, I was only in fourth grade!

For younger students, probably no older than middle school, this book is one sure to leave readers on the edge of their seats, biting their nails to find out how things will unfold.

Frank E. Peretti is a fantastic author, and his works aimed for children
Jenn
Apr 01, 2009 Jenn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I've read about 4 or 5 books of the Cooper kids series and I loved it!
These are truly amazing with adventure at every corner. The father is a Archaeologist (might be Biblical) and the kids tag along on most of his adventures. It is almost like reading a version of Indiana Jones that is meant for kids to understand. What is great about the series is that the book relates to God and what God means to Mr. Cooper and his kids. If you love adventure and endless fun with good Christian morals the enti
Alex Stroshine
Jan 07, 2015 Alex Stroshine rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This was a fun childhood read.
Joshua Castillo
Oct 05, 2012 Joshua Castillo rated it it was amazing
It's a very good book! The parts that are cool are where Dr Cooper is able to answer all the riddles because he knew Jesus Christ, which kept his children safe and kept them from being killed. When the fight Anak, a giant, and is in his liar (where he keeps his treasure and eats and sleeps), they discover that he had stole the treasure and not inherit it like he said. Dr Cooper revealed the truth about Anak.
David Natiuk
Jul 15, 2012 David Natiuk rated it really liked it
The best of the Cooper Kids series so far, The Tombs of Anak is moody, mysterious and exciting. I recognized the name Anak from the Bible, but if you didn't... I won't spoil it for you. This book makes a feasible real-life tale out of a mysterious Bible account, with suspense, adventure, and great locations.

If you're wondering if you'll like the Cooper Kids books... this might be a great place to start.
Rachel
Jan 15, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
This book is part of a series for young readers (probably 10 to 15 in age). All of the books are really interesting. They are kind of like a Christian version of Indiana Jones. This particular book I own, but I would like to have the rest in the series. Great for young readers although can be a bit frightening at times.
Maria Elmvang
I wasn't too impressed by this one. The writing was too disjointed and the plot was more Indiana Jones like than all the other books put together. I found the informations about anakites very interesting though - I never realized until reading this book the first time that Goliat was an anakit, nor that anakits had 6 fingers!
Jason
Oct 05, 2012 Jason rated it really liked it
This book was freaky with the religion of the Yami. They believed in the pagan god, dragon (the Philistines god), then they were ruled by the princess sorcerous and Anak. Anak is a phantom giant, with yellow eyes. They control the people with fear. The Coopers are protected by God thru their journey.
King Haddock
This was the first of Peretti's books I ever read, back in the third or fourth grade or so, and it was definitely worth it. This was a very tense, exciting book that combined archaeological studies and Christianity. I have never found anything like this series before - a must read.
Jonathan
Sep 03, 2012 Jonathan rated it really liked it
I'm rating the Cooper kids series by when I first read them which was third grade. I don't know if I'd like them as much now, but I reread them throughout grade school, and honestly enjoyed them as much as Indiana Jones.
Meadow Frisbie
Jan 14, 2009 Meadow Frisbie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
This is proboly one of my favorites of the series when Jay and his sister learn of a man-eating creature known as Ha-Raphah, who terrorizes locals into worshiping him. They must find out what he is in the Tombs of Anak.
Jobe
Jun 14, 2014 Jobe rated it really liked it
I loved revisiting Peretti's old children's books! They may be for kids, but they are very well-written and there is a lot of action packed into a small space. This one will remain one of my faves!
Chris Slater
Five stars for nostalgia! I'll have to read these again soon.

I learned how to navigate a maze from this book! (I think it was this one) I have never needed it, but it's a good skill to possess.
Boqin Zhang
Apr 01, 2014 Boqin Zhang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the actions in this book and the way the characters were able to come up with a plan to escape a really powerful enemy.
Kipahni
Aug 07, 2007 Kipahni rated it really liked it
my favorite of the cooper kids series. as a young teen these books kept me quite entertained with there Indiana Jones'esc adventures.
Emily
Oct 29, 2013 Emily rated it liked it
Again, poor character development but what redeemed this story to a three-star was the interesting plot and villainess.
  • The Sword of Camelot (Seven Sleepers, #3)
  • Mandie and the Cherokee Legend (Mandie, #2)
  • Pursued (Jennie McGrady Mysteries, #3)
  • The Ancients (Forbidden Doors, #10)
  • Annison's Risk (Adventures in Odyssey: Passages, #3)
FROM HIS WEBSITE:
With more than 12 million novels in print, Frank Peretti is nothing short of a publishing phenomenon and has been called “America’s hottest Christian novelist.”

Peretti is a natural storyteller who, as a youngster in Seattle, regularly gathered the neighborhood children for animated storytelling sessions. After graduating from high school, he began playing banjo with a local blueg
More about Frank E. Peretti...

The Cooper Kids Adventures (8 books)
  • The Door in the Dragon's Throat (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #1)
  • Escape from the Island of Aquarius (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #2)
  • Trapped at the Bottom of the Sea (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #4)
  • The Secret of the Desert Stone (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #5)
  • The Deadly Curse of Toco-Rey (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #6)
  • The Legend of Annie Murphy (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #7)
  • Flying Blind (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #8)