Start by marking “Jane's Warlord (Warlord #1)” as Want to Read:
Jane's Warlord (Warlord #1)

Jane's Warlord (Warlord #1)

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  2,434 Ratings  ·  85 Reviews
The next target of a time traveling killer, crime reporter Jane Colby finds herself in the hands of a warlord from the future sent to protect her--and in his hands is just where she wants to be.
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published June 1st 2004 by Berkley Sensation

To ask other readers questions about Jane's Warlord, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jane's Warlord

Ral's Woman by Laurann DohnerClaimed by Evangeline AndersonDemon Possession by Kiersten FayHunted by Evangeline AndersonBurning Up Flint by Laurann Dohner
Best Erotic Scifi Romance
34th out of 784 books — 1,108 voters
Twilight by Stephenie MeyerDark Lover by J.R. WardCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareThe Host by Stephenie MeyerVampire Academy by Richelle Mead
Best Paranormal & Fantasy Romances
239th out of 4,073 books — 8,169 voters

More lists with this book...

Dina
Dec 03, 2013 Dina rated it really liked it
Recommended to Dina by: MelissaB
Based on the premise and some reviews I've read, I knew this book had a bit of "everything": romance, sci-fi, time travel, suspense and, of course, sizzling love scenes. With a combo like that, I was sure this would be at least a fun read - and I was right. :D

Baran Arvid is a 24th century Warlord(*) who's sent back to the 21st century in order to kill the time-traveling Jumpkiller Kalig Druas before he murders his next victim Jane Colby, the owner of a small town local newspaper and crime report
Karen
Dec 03, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010-reads
Jane's Warlord was my first Angela Knight novel, and I will be reading more from this author. The characters were great, especially Frieka, Baran's talking sidekick timberwolf. Freika spent most of the book trying to eat Jane's cat Octopussy, but by the end, I think he had a secret crush on her even though he called Jane sick and twisted for suggesting such an unnatural thing. (lol)

Baran Arvid is a genetically engineered Viking Class Warlord sent from the future to save the life of Jane Colby, t
Tonya
Aug 06, 2015 Tonya rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011-reads
Jane's Warlord is a sci-fi/futuristic time-travel romance novel with a whole lot of sex mixed in.

Warlord Baran Arvid and his talking timber wolf partner Frieka are sent to earth from 300 years in the future to save newspaper owner/reporter Jane Colby from a horrific murder at the hands of a Jumpkiller named Druas. The warlord and his partner are dropped on earth with very little detail of their mission. They must save Jane and kill Druas. That's where the story begins.

It is a very fast paced st
Mojca
This was the first book by Angela Knight I read and I was immediately hooked. Equal parts erotica, suspense, and sci-fi, combined with a time-travel element this was a real pleasure to read.

The two main characters, Baran *pant pant* Arvid and Jane "one-of-the-non-annoying-heroines-I-like" Colby had some major chemistry going on, both in (hence the panting) and out of the bedroom, the villain was sickeningly twisted (just how I like 'em), the pacing was good, the story well-thought out and plotte
Linda
JANE'S WARLORD is about an uber-alpha male from another planet sent to Earth to find a serial killer. He manages to fall in lust with a human woman and eventually learns about love. It contains suspense, action, sexual tension and funny comments by his sidekick, the wolf. It was a fast read. This is one of the few times I can live with the slang used throughout the book because of the type of story it is.

I initially got it from the library, read it...time went by...took it out again and reread
Minuska
May 21, 2016 Minuska rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-shelf-bingo
I enjoyed this book a lot, it was funny, entertaining read. I loved the interactions between animal characters and yay for the time traveling :) in addition lots of action and erotica..so 4 stars from me
Hazel
This was horrendous! I should have known from the title.

I should start a new bookshelf: Regrets, I've had a few.
Holly
Jun 11, 2009 Holly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: angela-knight
Jane Colby has just come home from reporting about a particularly grisly murder in her small town, and all she wants to do is slip back into bed and finish reading her steamy romance novel. Unfortunately, or fortunately, she finds an enormous, muscle bound Warlord comfortably ensconced in her home whose telling her that she's in danger from a killer from the future, whose killing in the past. She's understandably suspicious of this man whose claiming to be some time traveler and she hasn't even ...more
Niina
Dec 03, 2013 Niina rated it liked it
Recommends it for: friend of sci-fi and romance
Recommended to Niina by: found it in the library

And here I was afraid it was gonna be cheesy!
Tells you not to judge a book by its cover or erm, name.
I did make new cover for it though, just for kicks and giggles, I just felt it needed that something extra.

Now to the book!

The story begins with Baran making a time travel jump to Jane's 2005 to make sure serial killer who's stolen a jumpsuit is stopped from killing Jane Colby.

Baran is teamed with a giant wolf with voice manipulator allowing it the ability to speak, which is probably the best com
Jane Stewart
3.5 stars. Interesting read.

I can't put my finger on it, but I would have liked something a little more creative or different about the plot and storyline. I didn't like that the warlord was not given enough tools by his superiors to properly fight Druas. They had an explanation for this in the end, but I didn't like it. Other parts of the ending were interesting and good. Although it is not a favorite, I did enjoy the book and plan to try another from this author.

DATA:
Sexual content: strong. Se
glitrbug
Mar 06, 2011 glitrbug rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Submissives
Recommended to glitrbug by: Smut club
Shelves: kindle
This sounded like the perfect book for me; time travel, warlord, computer enhanced wolf and it was, right up until the warlord muses about f##k7#@* the woman senseless until she is submissive and obedient to his every command. Really??? Now if she had taken out her tazer and zapped that smug look off his face, she would have been my kind of gal.
The story is well written, the characters were well-defined, I liked the way the the bad guy was handled, but I probably would have gotten rid of the
~Megan~
Mar 09, 2011 ~Megan~ rated it liked it
Hmmm, well this book was....interesting. Not at all what I was expecting really. I really enjoyed the plot of Baran coming from the future to protect Jane from the evil time-jumping serial killer (AKA Jack the Ripper). There was tons of lovin' in this book and some of it was over the top, but I can skim over those and still be okay if the plot's good. Thankfully, that was the case here. I'm not sure if I'd read another Angela Knight book, but this one was entertaining.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I like this new series! Time travelers is a new world by Ms. Knight and I like it. Ms. Knight writes such hot alpha males who are sensitive too. In this new series, Jane is being targeted to be killed. The futuristic enforcing team is there to prevent her death. Erotic and sexy, Ms. Knight is the first one who led me down to the path of lovely smutty books.
Cupcakencorset
Sep 29, 2010 Cupcakencorset rated it it was ok
This time-travel suspense and romance novel was a fun read, with some steamy sex (which did start to sound familiar after the second round or so, so Knight could introduce a little variety there) to take it out of the PG13-rating category. Don’t look for deep insights into the human condition here and you won’t be disappointed when you don’t find them.

Jen
Jul 18, 2008 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: other-romance
Good book by Angela Knight. The sex was hot and that is always a plus. Barak has come back from the future to protect Jane from a serial killer that was also from the future. He is a Warlord or a genetically engineered warrior. This is a fun, fast read if you are looking for one.
Jane (PS)
Jan 08, 2011 Jane (PS) rated it liked it
3.5 stars: I liked this read - I'm not sure why I didn't really like it. It had all the ingredients complete with a HEA, but I just didn't really get 'into' it. Hmmm.
Charity
Jan 29, 2016 Charity rated it really liked it
Angela Knight never fails to disappoint if steamy romance with an unusual plotline is what you are looking for. The small town reporter, fighting against the ghost of her abusive father meets the superhuman from the future, sent back in time to catch a time traveling wacko who was also responsible for the Jack the Ripper murders, and begins doing them all over again in present day America. I thought this was a great read, and can't wait to see more from the warlord universe, as well as more from ...more
Erica Anderson
Though billed as a paranormal, JW is actually SFR with time travel. The hero (pause to press hand to rapidly beating heart) is Baran Arvid, a very alpha male from the future, who is nevertheless gentle and protective with the heroine. Jane, our heroine, is in danger from a nasty man and Baran's purpose is to keep her alive.

Baran arrives somewhat unexpectedly on Jane's doorstep, along with a giant, talking wolf. (Okay--if I were reading this review, I'd stop at this point, sigh, and say "Great.
Donna Campbell
Jul 17, 2016 Donna Campbell rated it it was amazing
Pretty much the best Angela Wright book I have read especially the comment in the first part of the book where Baran imagines Jane who "scented" her arousal through her negligee---he thinks "better not. Jerking off in her negligee would send a worse message than eating the cat." It is probably first & last time those both are mentioned in one sentence.
Pam Koenig
Liked Mageverse better

I love Angela Knight's books, but felt something missing in this one. Too many things were left hanging. What really happened to Jane's mother, how was Jane's disappearance explained, what happened to employees at the newspaper? All through the story they worried about causing paradoxes, but wouldn't some of these happenings cause exactly that. Will try the other books to see if any answers occur.
Holli
One of my favorite romances, despite the problems I have with some issues in it (mentioned in a previous review). I'll probably read it again, and again, until I burn a hole into my ereader where it exists.
Angie Sy
Jul 15, 2015 Angie Sy rated it it was amazing
This is the first Angela Knight book I've read and after that I was hooked. I really love how she is able to balance between action and erotica. The characters are so awesome!

I LOVE IT!
Nisha
There are some books that you add to your To-read shelf and never touch for years, until you finally read it and think, how could I have ignored this book for so long. Well, this is one of those books. It was not a perfect book, but it does time-travel right. The whole Viking class Warlord part was sorta dumb, but having a genetically perfected being sent back into the past to save a small town reporter is a surprisingly titillating read. Adding Jack the Ripper as the main villain...priceless.

I
Bookfanatic
Dec 25, 2013 Bookfanatic rated it it was ok
I really couldn't get into this book. I was skimming sections just to finish it. There is the handsome alpha male hero with his funny sidekick and of course the beautiful heroine who is in grave danger. This is the classic plot for so many books in this genre, but something was missing here. The story got bogged down with too many science fiction, futuristic information that wasn't helpful or interesting. I also didn't believe the hero and heroine had good chemistry. The best part of this book i ...more
Rose
May 20, 2011 Rose rated it it was amazing
OH MY GOD this was awesome!!!! jane is in most sex scenes (trust me there were alot) "eroticly helpless" although she does take the lead two times. origanly my first reason to reading this novel was that it sounded like there were going to be lots of detailed, hot, and heavy sex (which there was) but as i got reading i was also interseted in the plot. theres this serial killer makeing theses like prono killing things and is now after jane and her protecter dude from the future, baran is so insan ...more
mlady_rebecca
This, I believe, was my first Angela Knight. I was pleasantly surprised how good it was. It was a nice foil to the last sf/futuristic romance I read. The other one made the futuristic touches awkward, with this, they flowed. They both did the alpha male thing, and again, here it was more effective. Like night and day. Just stylistically so much better.

Compelling characters, interesting world-building, and a decent story line. Basically a light read, heavy on the sex. I'd consider picking up ano
Domino (aka Meme)
this was my first read by Angela Knight. It entertaining. I liked the characters and really loved Freika, the talking wolf. It's a comtemporary/sci-fi/time-travel book. The sex scenes were great. The plot was good, but i thought the ending was pretty quick considering the plot. Sometimes in the story i felt Baran (Time-traveler) seemed more modern time guy rather than future guy. Also the connection with the main characters could've been more developed. Definitely wasn't my favorite read but i'l ...more
Diamond
2.5 ...more
Feb 20, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
This book ended up being a whole lot more then I thought it would be. It ended up being a mystery, with bring in a being that was from the future, ideas of alien races co-existing with others, trying to keep peace with speacilized humans known as warlords and warfems. But not only that, but having the future warlord come back to the past to save a lovely reporter, as well as anyone else if he could from a past murder. That just so happened to of been from the future as well...
Chelsey
Jan 27, 2012 Chelsey rated it it was ok
There was nothing fundamentally wrong with this book...but it just didn't interest me. I found the plot to be quite shallow and took forever for anything OUTSIDE of the bedroom to happen. A bit disappointed because I thought it would be similar to Warprize by Elizabeth Vaughn, but with a time travelling warlord..not so :(
  • Breeding Ground
  • The Price of Pleasure (Saurellian Federation, #1)
  • Legion
  • When Night Falls (Satrins, #2)
  • Kick Ass (Warlord, #2)
  • Beyond The Shadows (Realms Beyond, #2)
  • Knight of a Trillion Stars (Matrix of Destiny #1)
  • Daring Time
  • Calder (Tales of the Shareem, #4)
  • A Love Beyond Time
  • The Star King (Star, #1)
  • Victorious Star (Interstellar Service & Discipline, #1)
  • For Her Pleasure
  • Freed (Vampire King, #3)
  • Enemy Within (Enemy, #1)
  • Rough and Ready (Viking II, #6)
Angela Knight is an American author of mostly erotic fantasy. She was a reporter for ten years and a comic book author. She lives in South Carolina. First published under Red Sage, she was able to write romantic fiction for the first time in 1996. She published several short stories in their Secrets anthologies. Editor Cindy Hwang brought her to Berkley Publishing and has helped her become a best ...more
More about Angela Knight...

Warlord (2 books)