Start by marking “The Glass Flame” as Want to Read:
The Glass Flame

The Glass Flame

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  460 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
"If anything happens to me down here, don't let it pass as an accident. You owe me that, Karen..." David Hallam had written those words in his last letter to his wife from a small villiage in the Tennessee Smoky Mountains. (inside flap.).
Published September 12th 1981 by Fawcett (first published January 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Glass Flame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Glass Flame

Stacy
Jun 14, 2013 Stacy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought the mystery was good. It was creepy and there were just enough people involved that you got to know them but not too many that you got confused. I liked getting to know more about architecture and photography. The book is dated, but not in a bad way.

I will say that the characters didn’t really behave in a way I expected, so I didn’t really connect with them, but I still enjoyed the mystery. The only thing that seemed over the top was Karen’s love for Trevor. For some reason it annoyed
Jesse
Jun 07, 2015 Jesse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Riveting and edgy, with lush - and usually creepy - settings just waiting to be explored. I thoroughly enjoyed The Glass Flame and it is the first book of Phyllis A. Whitney's that I've read, but it won't be the last!

Right from the beginning, I was drawn in. There are lots of little mysteries, nagging questions, to chew on...a cast of extremely colorful and memorable characters...and as with any really good mystery book, though at the end you can look back and see how it all fit together, when y
Stephanie
Feb 21, 2013 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a suspenseful, fun mystery. I was not expecting the twist at the end, so that made it especially fun!
Diana Long
Jan 11, 2015 Diana Long rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
My hardcover copy is from the Double Day Book Club and published in 1978. At first I was doubtful if I would enjoy this book. I felt that I was reading Architectural Digest instead of a romance mystery thriller. About three quarters the book became very intriguing and carried my interest through until the end. I was blind sided and thought the ending was made this book a good read. I tend to enjoy more of the conversations and thoughts between the characters and not so much all the details of th ...more
Arthur
Jan 27, 2008 Arthur rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Karen Hallam receives her pointless but last letter from her supportive husband who unexpectingly died in a strange string of fires of which taking place in Belle Isle is where she intents to investigate meanwhile she forces her husband’s family to come good on her trip to Belle Isle, which once there learns that her husband may have had an affair with his sister-in-law that doesn’t do much more than not help this investigation because it looks like a good reason for murder, but Trevor didn’t se ...more
ティフ
Mar 01, 2015 ティフ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good mystery! Some of the characters were a bit creepy. A good mystery.
Arlene
May 27, 2010 Arlene rated it really liked it
Karen travels to the Smokies in Tennessee to bury her husband who has died in an explosion while investigating a series of fires. In a letter a few weeks earlier, he had told her that if anything happens to him, it won't be an accident. She stays with his half-brother's family while there and gets caught up in a web of strange happenings. It kept me guessing till the end.
Kelley
Oct 20, 2012 Kelley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that uses "shan't" and "mustn't" so very much a departure for me.

I didn't like single character in this book. I did like the twist at the end. I must say, I didn't see that coming, but then I didn't really care all that much either. This book felt more like a chore to me, but someone I knew loved it so I persevered.
Jenny
Aug 17, 2009 Jenny rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was in the mood for a mysterious gothic novel...... sadly this was not one of them. She has written a lot of books so maybe I happened upon one of the dumb ones. I love the mystery, suspense, damsel in distress, mysterious hunky man, second guessing and so on that the gothic genre serves up, so give me some suggestions!!!!
Rhonda
May 21, 2013 Rhonda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Phyllis Whitney, lives happily ever after book. Always similar themes with similar outcomes but you also ALWAYS have to finish to see if you are right (and sometimes you are not)! Have two more of hers on my to read list.
Lauren
Jul 11, 2015 Lauren rated it really liked it
Shelves: gothic, romance
I absolutely love gothic romances with all of the mystery and the strong female characters. Phyllis A. Whitney is an amazing author incorporating an unforgettable story with amazing characters.
Lisa Greer
Jan 11, 2008 Lisa Greer rated it really liked it
I like some of Whitney's books; others I have begun and put down. She is sort of like Barbara Michaels but not nearly as good. If you like mystery and suspense, you will enjoy these.
Agnes Fells
Aug 22, 2013 Agnes Fells rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the story and I like the authors style. it's a short read that moves right along.
Chioma Uzoma
Jul 21, 2009 Chioma Uzoma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
PHILLIS KNOWS HOW TO CREATE A WEB.....EXCELLENT BOOK...ENOYED IT A LOT!
Eva
Oct 29, 2012 Eva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another very suspenseful novel with a good twist at the end.
Joy
Nov 11, 2009 Joy rated it liked it
I used to read her books in high school.
JG
Aug 08, 2013 JG rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't put the book down.
Shanna
Cathy
Cathy rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Kayleen
Kayleen marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Jessie Lange
Jessie Lange rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2016
Jude
Jude added it
Mar 25, 2016
Sonia Horst
Sonia Horst rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2016
Jane T.
Jane T. marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Christina LeCocq
Christina LeCocq rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2016
DaLara Lamb
DaLara Lamb marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Lisa Ingleton
Lisa Ingleton rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2016
  • Secret for a Nightingale
  • Darkwater
  • Chameleon
151920
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -
Phyllis Ayame Whitney (September 9, 1903 – February 8, 2008) was an American mystery writer. Rare for her genre, she wrote mysteries for both the juvenile and the adult markets, many of which feature exotic locations. A review in The New York Times once dubbed her "The Queen of the American Gothics".

She was born in Japan to American parents and spent her ear
More about Phyllis A. Whitney...