Start by marking “Marauders of Gor (Gor, #9)” as Want to Read:
Marauders of Gor (Gor, #9)

Marauders of Gor (Gor #9)

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  617 ratings  ·  20 reviews
'Tarl Cabot has struggled to free himself from the control of Gor's powerful Priest-Kings, but to no avail. Now he finds that mission challenged by a threat emanating from the planets forbidding northern lands. There, a menacing alien force waits for Tarl, who faces an awesome choice: protect his own position as a rich merchant-slaver, or risk everything to defend the free ...more
346 pages
Published February 14th 1978 by Universal Books (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Marauders of Gor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marauders of Gor

Matt Sears
“Tarl Cabot's efforts to free himself from the directive of the mysterious priest-kings of Earth's orbital counterpart were confronted by frightening reality when horror from the northland finally struck directly at him.

Somewhere in the harsh lands of transplanted Norsemen was the first foothold of alien Others. Somewhere up there was one such who waited for Tarl. Somewhere up there was Tarl's confrontation with his real destiny- was he to remain a rich merchant-slaver of Port Kar or become agai
Christian West
Tarl (who has had many names, but is again called Tarl) travels to the Viking north to avenge his woman (well one of them). Along the way we get a lesson in being a Gorean Viking and many many lessons in how you should just rape your women until they start enjoying it.

At least a third of this book appears to just be about women aching to be slaves, but that could have just been my perception as I glossed over some of the rambling in the book. Other reviews seem to indicate that at least the figh
Charles
Just when I thought Norman had lost it, he came back with "Marauders," which is pretty much tied with "Raiders" as my second favorite of the series. At times it outranks "Raiders." In this one Tarl runs into counter-Earth Vikings and there are some great fight scenes, including one large scale one in particular that I thought was just about the best I'd ever read. I loved the characters here and the tie-in with the Beowulf legend. Norman was back on top.

Not sexist, at least not much.
J.L. Day
I have read the entire series, there simply isn't anything else like it; they are decadent and addictive, completely and wholly something everyone should have on their MUST READ list.

Edgar Rice Burroughs BARSOOM series would be a faint comparison, I suppose; but Norman carries his characters to a depth of depravity that is reminiscent of a D/s or BDSM fetish fanatics dream. At the same time, they are not written in a way as to be entirely sexual, he merely casts about components and subtle subt
Rick
I remember liking the Gor series well enough in junior high and high school when I read them but I don't think I would enjoy them as much 25+ years later so I will recuse myself from rating any in the series.
Brandi Hinson
Too bad he did not write anymore about the North.
Shane
40% in and I just can't do it any more. There's simply too much slave-girl description and not nearly enough story. Having got to book number 9 in this ongoing series I almost feel like I'm letting myself down by not ploughing on through these slave sections, but then I remind myself that they do tend to be taking up more and more of the novels, and so I'm learning to forgive myself.

I'll almost certainly read the odd one here and there, if only to reassure myself that I've made the right decisi
Butterflykatana
i found this volume to be a rather fun and refreshing Gor adventure. People tend to get all critical of the slave girl and the roles of women in it, but its a story of another culture with different views from our own and we all know this.
So I enjoyed the book and the battles that take place with in where written very well.
John
1976 grade B-

Series book G9
AmbushPredator
To avenge the supposed death of Telima, and to give the author another thinly-veiled Earth culture to write about, Tarl Cabot ventures to the lands of the Vikings, or the men of Torvarldsland, as they are known on Gor.

This book takes us back on form, with some wonderful examples of Norman's dry wit, and culminates in a spectacular battle scene that would film well, should any director ever take his life in his hands and defy the feminist lobby to commit it to film.

Next stop - the desert of the T
E.D. Martin
Wow, these just keep getting worse and worse. I think I skimmed at least half this book because I don't care about the description, or the philosophy.

Don't read this; it's a complete rip-off of Beowulf (he even makes a reference at the end to Grendel).

I did find it amusing, however, that once again Tarl is betrayed by some girl. Is it that everyone he loves is weak, or is it that he himself is the one with the flaws that makes him incapable of a relationship?
Christopher Walls
I read this whole series in a marathon session, while stationed in England. The depth and volume of the stories is humbling for any writer and I consider this series very influential in my own approach to writing and world building in general; generic post for all the books in this series as I am finally getting around to recording my reading list in Goodreads.
George David Moon
The return of Tarl

good addition to the saga of Tarl Cabot. a man battles hardship and his own demons and finds strength again. on to the next chapter
Dahlia
So far, this is my favorite of the Chronicles of Gor. Something about the setting of Torvarlsland just click all the right buttons.
Robert
Liked these books until the author's "women should be slaves" ramblings outweighed the adventure.
Keith
I think I liked this one because of the vking culture that is in the book.
Kione
In my opinion.
Norman's 2nd best Gor book after Nomads.
Kate
Utter crap, didn't finish it
Jack Teague
science fiction,gor
Steve
Jan 28, 2009 Steve added it
GOR
Jonathan Reiter
Jonathan Reiter marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Benjamin Thornton
Benjamin Thornton marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Dan J
Dan J added it
Jun 29, 2015
Fletcher Reed
Fletcher Reed marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Katelynd Archer
Katelynd Archer marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
  • The Witch Goddess (Horseclans, #9)
  • Garan the Eternal
  • The Thousand-Headed Man (Doc Savage #2)
  • The Cosmic Computer (aka Junkyard Planet)
  • The Demon Hand (Greyhawk Adventures, #5)
  • A Circus of Hells (Flandry)
  • The Green Millennium
  • Wizard Spawn (The Sword of Knowledge, #2)

John Norman, real name John Lange, was born in Chicago, Illinois in 1931. His best known works, the Gor novels, span 31 books written 1967 to 2012, plus three installments of the Telnarian Histories, two other fiction works and a non-fiction paperback. Mr. Norman is marrie
More about John Norman...

Gor (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • Tarnsman of Gor (Gor, #1)
  • Outlaw of Gor (Gor, #2)
  • Priest-Kings of Gor (Gor, #3)
  • Nomads of Gor (Gor, #4)
  • Assassin of Gor (Gor, #5)
  • Raiders of Gor (Gor, #6)
  • Captive of Gor (Gor, #7)
  • Hunters of Gor (Gor, #8)
  • Tribesmen of Gor (Gor, #10)
  • Slave Girl of Gor (Gor, #11)
Tarnsman of Gor (Gor, #1) Outlaw of Gor (Gor, #2) Priest-Kings of Gor (Gor, #3) Nomads of Gor (Gor, #4) Assassin of Gor (Gor, #5)