Start by marking “The Writer's Digest Handbook of Novel Writing” as Want to Read:
The Writer's Digest Handbook of Novel Writing

The Writer's Digest Handbook of Novel Writing

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  67 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
There is not one single publisher that has produced more books on the art and craft of the written word -- and so anything with "The Writer's Digest" moniker on it should be on your essential bookshelf. The Writer's Digest Handbook of Novel Writing is a writing coach in and of itself.
Published February 1st 1998 by Writer's Digest Books (first published March 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Writer's Digest Handbook of Novel Writing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Writer's Digest Handbook of Novel Writing

Aubrey
Nov 10, 2008 Aubrey rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing, own, inspiration
A good collection of essays about various aspects of novel writing from start to publication. I found a couple particularly helpful for where I'm at right now, and I know that as I write I'll find others helpful too. Lawrence Block's essay was particularly funny.
Beth Hill
Apr 03, 2016 Beth Hill rated it it was amazing
I have the 1992 edition, and as some other reviewers have pointed out, a few of the references are outdated. Yet this book is worth reading--if you can find it. The book is a collection of reprints of articles about writing, some dating to the 1980s. While the references in some chapters are old and some of the advice is no longer typically given, the book as a whole will encourage beginning writers to jump in and write or encourage active writers to keep writing and stay the course. Consider th ...more
Charles
Aug 20, 2008 Charles rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who fancies him or her self as a writer
Recommended to Charles by: Writer's Digest Novel Writing workshop
If you're writing a novel, then this one is a MUST have/read! LOTS of superb advice and direction from well-seasoned writers. Each chapter is a mini "how-to" on a certain subject.
Lily
Aug 24, 2009 Lily marked it as to-read
I found this book the bookshelf, (my real one at home)and it looked interesting, plus I've always wanted to be a writer.
Denyse Loeb
May 14, 2012 Denyse Loeb rated it it was ok
With articles from the likes of Orson Scott Card, Mary Kittredge, and Dean Koontz, this book covers everything from planning and plotting to marketing. Most of the various topics only have one chapter, therefore only one viewpoint, but the chapters are arranged in a working order - that is, they are arranged in an order that is similar to a writer's work on the novels.

Impressions: Though there is some very good information presented, I actually found this to be a somewhat mediocre book. For one,
CaliGirlRae
Oct 08, 2009 CaliGirlRae rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Aspiring Novel Writers & Writers looking for a refresher
This is a definitely favorite of mine that sits right on my writing bookshelf. I always recommend this to my students learning to write novels and it's great for current writers looking to jumpstart their writing juices.

A wonderful how-to book that doesn't talk down to you or use big complex explanations. It goes step by step explaining the structure of a novel via essays by a variety of authors so the advice is always from a fresh perspective. Everything from plot structure, characterization, t
Jessica
Nov 09, 2014 Jessica rated it liked it
Parts were excellent and very helpful; other sections were outdated or kinda boring.
Seth
Mar 24, 2014 Seth rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Interesting, and not without helpful tidbits. However, the handbook has become so outdated as to be near obsolete.

Edgey Flowers
Oct 16, 2009 Edgey Flowers is currently reading it
It's very interesting. I've learned that different novels have different characterization, how to plot a novel, and how novel writing and short story writing are different.
Leonard Pierce
May 16, 2008 Leonard Pierce rated it it was ok
Shelves: writing
For a book I don't actually like very much, I have owned two copies of this thing. Does that say something good about it, or something bad about me? I'm sure I don't know.
Gwen Burrow
Jan 30, 2013 Gwen Burrow rated it it was ok
Shelves: writing
Not really helpful. Didn't finish it. Lots of better books out there.
Frybri81
Oct 09, 2010 Frybri81 rated it liked it
A little out dated, but excellent info.
Richard Treat
Richard Treat is currently reading it
Jun 16, 2016
Lindsay Wyse
Lindsay Wyse is currently reading it
May 03, 2016
Hanna
Hanna marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Harsha Sinha
Harsha Sinha marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Mahdi
Mahdi marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Weradi
Weradi added it
Mar 22, 2016
123theone
123theone rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2016
Alex
Alex is currently reading it
Jan 14, 2016
Jennifer Levac
Jennifer Levac marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Tracy Cooper-Posey
Tracy Cooper-Posey marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
Steph  Wenburg
Steph Wenburg marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Ed
Ed marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015