Start by marking “The Writer's Digest Handbook of Novel Writing” as Want to Read:
The Writer's Digest Handbook of Novel Writing

The Writer's Digest Handbook of Novel Writing

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  11 reviews
There is not one single publisher that has produced more books on the art and craft of the written word -- and so anything with "The Writer's Digest" moniker on it should be on your essential bookshelf. The Writer's Digest Handbook of Novel Writing is a writing coach in and of itself.
Published February 1st 1998 by Writer's Digest Books (first published March 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Writer's Digest Handbook of Novel Writing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Writer's Digest Handbook of Novel Writing

Katlet
A good collection of essays about various aspects of novel writing from start to publication. I found a couple particularly helpful for where I'm at right now, and I know that as I write I'll find others helpful too. Lawrence Block's essay was particularly funny.
Charles
Aug 20, 2008 Charles rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who fancies him or her self as a writer
Recommended to Charles by: Writer's Digest Novel Writing workshop
If you're writing a novel, then this one is a MUST have/read! LOTS of superb advice and direction from well-seasoned writers. Each chapter is a mini "how-to" on a certain subject.
Lily
Aug 24, 2009 Lily marked it as to-read
I found this book the bookshelf, (my real one at home)and it looked interesting, plus I've always wanted to be a writer.
Denyse Loeb
With articles from the likes of Orson Scott Card, Mary Kittredge, and Dean Koontz, this book covers everything from planning and plotting to marketing. Most of the various topics only have one chapter, therefore only one viewpoint, but the chapters are arranged in a working order - that is, they are arranged in an order that is similar to a writer's work on the novels.

Impressions: Though there is some very good information presented, I actually found this to be a somewhat mediocre book. For one,
CaliGirlRae
Oct 08, 2009 CaliGirlRae rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Aspiring Novel Writers & Writers looking for a refresher
This is a definitely favorite of mine that sits right on my writing bookshelf. I always recommend this to my students learning to write novels and it's great for current writers looking to jumpstart their writing juices.

A wonderful how-to book that doesn't talk down to you or use big complex explanations. It goes step by step explaining the structure of a novel via essays by a variety of authors so the advice is always from a fresh perspective. Everything from plot structure, characterization, t
Jessica
Parts were excellent and very helpful; other sections were outdated or kinda boring.
Seth
Mar 24, 2014 Seth rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
Interesting, and not without helpful tidbits. However, the handbook has become so outdated as to be near obsolete.

Edgey Flowers
Oct 16, 2009 Edgey Flowers is currently reading it
It's very interesting. I've learned that different novels have different characterization, how to plot a novel, and how novel writing and short story writing are different.
Leonard Pierce
For a book I don't actually like very much, I have owned two copies of this thing. Does that say something good about it, or something bad about me? I'm sure I don't know.
Gwen Burrow
Not really helpful. Didn't finish it. Lots of better books out there.
Frybri81
A little out dated, but excellent info.
Shellii Huff
Shellii Huff marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Ashley Reid
Ashley Reid marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Brandy
Brandy added it
Jul 30, 2014
Patricia  Pinckombe
Patricia Pinckombe marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
J Demedeiros
J Demedeiros marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Kathy Turcotte
Kathy Turcotte is currently reading it
Jul 22, 2014
Robert Wright
Robert Wright marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Selena
Selena marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Krysti
Krysti marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Writer's Complete Fantasy Reference: An Indispensable Compendium of Myth and Magic Crafting Novels & Short Stories: The Complete Guide to Writing Great Fiction The Craft and Business of Writing: Essential Tools for Writing Success Writer's Market Guide To Getting Published (Writers Market) 2009 Novel & Short Story Writer's Market