Start by marking “Sea Star, Orphan of Chincoteague” as Want to Read:
Sea Star, Orphan of Chincoteague

Sea Star, Orphan of Chincoteague (Misty #2)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  4,899 Ratings  ·  91 Reviews
Movie men have come to Chincoteague to film the annual Pony Penning, and Paul and Maureen are thrilled -- until they learn that the producers want to buy their beloved Misty. Reluctantly, they agree to sell in order to send their uncle to college. But how will they ever fill the lonely place that Misty

leaves behind?

Finding an orphaned colt helps Paul and Maureen deal with

Published April 1st 1991 by MacMillan Publishing Company (first published January 1st 1920)

To ask other readers questions about Sea Star, Orphan of Chincoteague, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sea Star, Orphan of Chincoteague

Gina
Mar 10, 2016 Gina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horse lovers
Sandy
Apr 25, 2009 Sandy rated it it was amazing
what was I, 8? 10? 12? .......I read this dozens of times..... an older edition with a different picture on the front but same story. Wonderful. I went back to Chincoteague in March and saw the wild horses out on Assateague Island, and walked on the beach and felt the wind in my hair and book postcards of the horses in the surf and bought Misty Of Chincoteague for my niece. It was wonderful to be back there again (last time was in 1963 and I was 6).... I really enjoyed myself.
Melissa
Jan 26, 2011 Melissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
After reading Misty of Chincoteague, anyone could become enamoured with the ponies of Assateague island. That being said, this book is kind of a let down after that. While it was still well written for children and does envelop the horse culture that is Chincoteague, the story almost seems incomplete and not very fleshed out.

Its the next Pony Penning day at Chinconteague and before all the wild ponies of Assateague can be driven over to the island, Paul and Maureen are approached by some movie m
April Brown
Sep 06, 2011 April Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, pre-teen
A childhood favorite re-visited.

Is the story as good as I remember? – Yes

What ages would I recommend it too? – All ages. Children will enjoy the single storyline; while adults enjoy an easy afternoon read (especially while waiting on a bus, show, doctor, or other appointments).

Length? – Reasonable for an afternoon.

Characters? – Memorable, several characters, though a bit confusing in the beginning.

Setting? – Real world, Recent times (1940′s).

Written approximately? – 1949.

Does the story leave que
Theresa
When I was younger a friend of mine had the first book in this series, and I had always wanted to read them. So when I saw book 2 and 3 at a yard sale I grabbed them up with a skip in my step. I didn't for one moment wonder if I wouldn't enjoy them as much now.

I loved every page of this story. I loved Misty's personality and how the children loved her. I loved the grandparents. Reading about the roundup made me want to research it or read a non fiction book about it. I was so proud of Paul and M
Marissa Hughes
Sep 29, 2016 Marissa Hughes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
wonderful book. this is second book of the four book series. I enjoyed it. if you like history and/or animals you'll most likely like this seires about a an orphaned colt who had a star on her forehead.
Rena Sherwood
Sea Star has become one of those books that I absolutely adored when I was a kid and now can barely tolerate now that I'm 47. Then again, when I was 4 I liked peanut butter and mustard sandwiches, but this difference isn't so extreme.

Let me explain.

As a story, it's really sweet without being disgustingly so. An orphan foal is discovered by the Beebe kids and they work like heck to save.

And the art is FAB. If you are going to buy this book, make sure you get one with all of the full-color and b
Molly Cline
4 star

This was a wonderful continuation of Misty and her human family. Even if you haven't read book 1 you could still understand this one, but reading these in order you get to understand and know the situations and characters well.

This one the children have to make an adult decision and later are rewarded with saving a newborn baby colt! They care for him as much as they can until they find a mama horse that they put him with to nurse.

This is a wonderful story of children working together as
Andi Marks
Gale
THE MYRTLE CURE

Although author Marguerite Henry had not envisioned a sequel to MISTY, she found herself touched by the real plight of a tiny orphan colt whose mother had died at Tom's Cove. Those plucky youngsters, Paul and Maureen Beebe, make the ultimate sacrifice: they decide to sell their beloved Misty in order to finance their uncle's education at Seminary. But when the Lord cloes one door, he often opens a window somewhere else. In this case the starving little type whickers his way into
Lars Guthrie
Nov 01, 2008 Lars Guthrie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first sequel of "Misty of Chincoteague." If someone you know likes books about horses and has little trouble adjusting to a different period and style of writing, steer them to Marguerite Henry. In "Misty" and "Sea Star," the siblings Paul and Maureen often fall into stereotyped gender behavior (Maureen does the dishes while Paul helps with a loud speaker system), but their relationship with their grandparents (the mysterious parents are in China) is loving and charming, and Maureen is a pre ...more
Rachel Jackson
This is a good book for kids to read, no doubt about it, but it has lost some of its magic for me in the past decade. After the lovely story that was Misty of Chincoteague, this "sequel" doesn't dazzle me nearly quite as much. I felt quite disconnected from everything that was happening — I felt like everything happened too fast for me to develop an opinion on the action itself and what the Beebes did. The characters were less developed, which was a bit sad to see, given that this book has more ...more
Sara Elisabetha
Jan 16, 2013 Sara Elisabetha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sea Star: Orphan of Chincoteague
Author: Marguerite Henry

This book is a sequel to Marguerite Henry's first book, Misty of Chincoteague. In this book brother and sister Paul and Maureen Beebe have sold Misty to Some "movie men" from New York to make a movie about her, and to make children on the main land happy. When Paul and Maureen are digging for oysters for their grandmothers Pony Penning Day dinner, they find an orphaned colt with his mother laying "dead on her broadside."
This book had to be
Rosa Cline

This is a wonderful story of children working together as sibli
Adaline Griffiths
Nov 17, 2015 Adaline Griffiths rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sea Star starts out sad. Paul and Maureen decide they have to sell Misty, who they bought the year before, in order to send their uncle to college. The parting is very sad, as Misty is family to them, but they decide other children should be able to experience Misty. Later, Maureen and Paul find a young colt, whom they name Sea Star. Her mother has died and the children take her under their wing. But Sea Star is not eating-will Maureen and Paul be able to save Sea Star? I rate this book 4 out of ...more
Rosa Cline
4 star

This is a wonderful story of children working together as
Marci Christensen
We started this one tonight. I read it when I was younger, along with every other horse book I could find. Marissa really likes it so far. It is a higher reading level then previous books we have read aloud, so I'm curious to see how long it keeps their attention (and mine).

Well, we finished a few days ago. It was a slow read, but Marissa liked the characters and, of course, all the horses, err ponies rather. There were not enough pictures, though, to make it a great read for young kids. We like
Rachael
Oct 09, 2011 Rachael rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chioce-books
In this book Sea Star, by Maruerite Henry, Paul and Maureen Beebee think it is great that their current pony Misty is going to be filmed in a movie except for the idea of having to sell her. soon, their decidion comes to an end as they sell their beloved pony in order to send their uncle to college. Even so, there s an empty feeling left from selling Misty, so when they find a starving, orphan colt on the beach, it turns out they needed it as much as it needed them.
Twyla
My favorite part was when sea star got a foster mom, a mom got a foster child horse, and paul and maureen got them both. The worst part was when paul and maureen had to sell misty. my favorite character were paul and maureen. There was no worst character. This book was about paul and maureen selling misty and finding an orphan cot and keeping her and also getting a mare who lost her child. auryn 10 yesrs old, 2014
Caticorn
This book was not a book I would read again. It was not exciting and it was a bit confusing. There was a few parts I really didn't like. I think this would be more for girls but some boys I don't think wouldn't mind reading it but they would have to like horses. I read the first book and liked it but this one didn't seem anything like the first at all. I didn't like how the grandpa's name was Clarence and how someone else had the exact same name. It made it very confusing.
Dark-Draco
A lovely story! The pictures are wonderful and the story was sweet. I wish I'd read these when I was younger, they would have gone alongside My Friend Flicka and The Jackie books! I still wouldn't have given up my pony just because someone wanted to put her in a film, especially if she was going to be petted by lots of 'orrible kids!!!!!
April Helms
Jan 16, 2008 April Helms rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children
Shelves: childrens, fiction
I recently re-read this story. I enjoy all of Henry's books; I guess my one nit though was the grandfather's insistance of not bottle feeding the young orphan and trying to give Sea Star mash. It struck me as odd since the foal was obviously too young for anything other *than* milk. Grandpa Beebe is supposed to be a horse expert, and his reasoning just struck me as hollow.
Mr. Graham
Sea Star was a feel-good children's story. It was mildly entertaining, and had some cool wisdom from the grandparents, along with some valuable horse stuff. However, the absence of a strong central plot made me glad this book was over. Setting was cool. Character development was not great. Plot development was poor.
Heather
Sea Star is a Star

As with all of the Books about Misty and the BeeBees, this book is filled with charm, excitement, authentic emotion and beauty. We have so loved reading about the BeeBees and Pony Ranch, and we are so sorry that we have now read all of the stories about Misty of Chincoteague. Now I guess we will reread them!
Nancy St. Clair
Jul 08, 2011 Nancy St. Clair rated it really liked it
The story of Paul and Maureen, siblings and owners of Misty, is continued in this book, and once again they are called upon to sacrifice their desires for another. Ms. Henry does a fantastic job of offering the reader important life-lessons by having her characters demonstrate the necessity of cooperation and the blessing in sacrifice. Wholesome reading for any age!
Chelsea
Jun 12, 2010 Chelsea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children under the age of 12
there were two diffrent plots here. i am not sure why the two diffrent plots needed to be in the same peice. the charecters were hummeous but i find that there was more of a focus on the grandparents charectezatoin than the two cilren, maureen and paul.
Morgan
Dec 29, 2011 Morgan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked it because Maureen and Paul saved Sea Star. He was alone at the beach and they rounded him up; Paul told them how. They got him into the beach and then Paul and Maureen swam him through, just like the round-up.
Serena
Sep 22, 2015 Serena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals

My Rating System:
Diane
I enjoyed reading this with my daughter. It makes you wish you could take a trip to Chincoteague to see the horses and to visit with the Beebe family. Would recommend to others that like to read historical fiction or just love reading about horses.
Karina
Aug 12, 2009 Karina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember my mom reading these to me before I could even read. This one in particular, while we were staying at an aunt and uncle's house in Germany. This was actually the first chapter book I read.
  • The Island Stallion's Fury (The Black Stallion, #7)
  • Green Grass of Wyoming (Flicka, #3)
  • Wonder's Yearling (Thoroughbred, #6)
  • The Blind Colt
Marguerite Henry (April 13, 1902-November 26, 1997) was an American writer. The author of fifty-nine books based on true stories of horses and other animals, her work has captivated entire generations of children and young adults and won several Newbery Awards and Honors. Among the more famous of her works was Misty of Chincoteague, which was the basis for the 1961 movie Misty, and several sequel ...more
More about Marguerite Henry...

Misty (4 books)
  • Misty of Chincoteague (Misty, #1)
  • Stormy, Misty's Foal (Misty, #3)
  • Misty's Twilight (Misty, #4)