Start by marking “In the Womb: Witness the Journey from Conception to Birth through Astonishing 3D Images” as Want to Read:

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  55 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Imagine being able to observe with astonishing clarity a child's delicate features as they evolve over the course of a pregnancy, or witness the complex behavior of new human life in utero. Now we can, thanks to the advent of innovative 3D and 4D imaging technologies that provide a powerful diagnostic tool for doctors and cast vivid light on our earliest development—and a ...more
Published September 26th 2006 by National Geographic

To ask other readers questions about In the Womb, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Womb

Liss
Jun 18, 2010 Liss rated it liked it
Of the books I've come across this is best at giving a week-by-week look at what is happening in utero without all of the heart-stopping "what could go wrong" twaddle.

Actually it's second best on the explanation and best on pictures. The best on at-a-glance week-by-week explanations is chapter 3 of Dad's Pregnant Too by Harlan Cohen.
Kellie
Nov 03, 2013 Kellie rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

An interesting overview of fetal development accompanied with realistic images. I preferred The Pregnant Body Book (more detailed) but loved the further reading section with recommendations on other books. Great to see the list recommended Making Babies: The Science of Pregnancy.
Agnes
Jul 10, 2010 Agnes rated it really liked it
Shelves: pregnancy
This is a really fascinating companion book to the National Geographic documentary of the same title. My parents sent me this book, and Claire brought the DVD with her a week later. I especially recommend the DVD to really see the images clearly, but the book is also interesting. It chooses certain milestones during the embryo/fetus's development and describes what is happening in the images.
Rita
Jul 02, 2009 Rita rated it it was amazing
OK I actually watched the movie so my rating refers to the movie!! I know I know this is a book review but I couldn't help myself. When I watched this while pregnant with my 1st baby I balled my eyes out at the absolute miracle it is to carry a child, truly a gift only God gives. It took us 5 years to have our 1st so we are that much more thankful.
Leslie
Aug 10, 2007 Leslie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: pregnant women
I wish this book had been out when I was pregnant. It gives amazing photos of a baby in utero week by week. While I was pregnant, I would read up on what was happening to my baby that week. I would have loved having these pictures to go along with it. This would be a good book to give as a gift to any pregnant woman.
Anna
May 23, 2012 Anna rated it really liked it
This book combines scientific explanations of what happens in utero with stunning photographs. It is fantastic. In terms of understanding the miracle of life, we found it an engaging and awe-inspiring companion to all the pregnancy "guidebooks."
Kristin
Apr 13, 2008 Kristin rated it really liked it
I randomly found this book on the "new" shelf at the library, and was fascinated! My many pregnant friends might be interested as well ... detailed descriptions and images of a baby as it grows from conception to birth. God is so great!
Dabeyta
Dec 21, 2015 Dabeyta rated it it was amazing
If you want to marvel at the journey from egg to child in 38 weeks, read this book. Oh Heavenly Father, your Word says that we are fearfully and wonderfully made. Thank you for using science to magnify the work of your hands.
Julia
Jul 02, 2007 Julia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone pregnant or planning to be, anyone interested in life
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is so cool! I can't wait to get pregnant again so I can use it as a reference of what is going on inside week by week. The photographs are awesome and the science is really interesting.
Amanda
Aug 31, 2009 Amanda rated it it was amazing
This book was very informative and I learned quite a bit of interesting information. I would recommend it to anyone that is trying to get pregnant, that is pregnant, or that has a child.
Wendy
Oct 18, 2008 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Very good details of embryology. It goes through every month of the baby's development.
Ronni
Jun 08, 2012 Ronni rated it it was amazing
"Astonishing 3D Images" It's true!
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2016
Joanna
Joanna rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2016
Jenn Chordas
Jenn Chordas marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
Ümit
Ümit rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2015
Juje
Juje marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Linda Donalds
Linda Donalds rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2015
Marvin Madalan
Marvin Madalan marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Zabrina
Zabrina marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2015
Bonnie Gruenberg
Bonnie Gruenberg rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2015
Ioanna
Ioanna rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2015
Mollie Player
Mollie Player rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2015
V
V rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2014
Liselotte
Liselotte rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2014
Vartika
Vartika marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014