Wisdom of Florence Scovel Shinn

Wisdom of Florence Scovel Shinn

4.58 of 5 stars 4.58  ·  rating details  ·  161 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Here in one volume are the four collected works of one of America's most beloved and best-selling inspirational authors.
In her classic best-seller The Game of Life, Florence Scovel Shinn reveals the timeless message that has helped thousands to solve their problems. You can create anything you want simply by aligning your thoughts and words with the perfect good that res...more
Published May 15th 1989 by Touchstone

Dakota Lane
it's on my bed and in the morning i talk to it:

florence--can you speak the word for me?

and then i open it and she says something like:

on this wonderful day wonderful joy is with me in wonderful ways and it's here to stay!!!!
but much better. and then i realize, oh, right, i forgot, i AM having a wonderful joy and then i get out of bed and make 2 cups of coffee, one for me and one for florence.
Hans
If my collection of books where to be burnt and I was just to keep a couple of importen books from being burnt, besides books of Ralph Waldo Emerson and a few others, THIS BOOK would absolutely be one of the books I had to save from the flamnes of the fire!!!

(I'm now looking for a wife. I would very much like her to be able to 'grasp' the content of this book (four books altogether). I think that it would make it much easier to understand each other – foremost I am thinking that it would be easi...more
Anna
I met two sisters on a trip to Italy over 10 years ago when I was on a tour and travelling by myself. They were the nicest woman you ever want to have met. They were reading this book and highly recommended it to me. I had a lot of issues going on at the time. I must say 10 years later and I STILL go back and read this book. It is EXCELLENT. This is way before that silly book (which in my opinion is a rip of this) "The Secret." Florence's book is 10 times better a must have. I have even download...more
Originally I gave this 4 stars. However after some consideration I realized this is a 5 star book, especially in the affirmation/spiritual realm. This masterpiece is broken into 4 short books, The Game of Life and How it is Played, The Spoken Word, Your Word is Your Wand and The Secret of Success. When you are reading these short stories you feel like you are transported back in time to the early 1920's. I absolutely love Florence and I still use my favorite affirmations from one of her short st...more
Tamara
This book made the Bible and its stories more real and attainable for me. I believe that the Bible is a great book, but is even better when you know how to apply it's lessons to your life so that you can conquer any obstacle that comes your way. Ms. Shinn dedicated her life to teaching the world how to understand the Bible in a practical and easy-to-understand manner. I never realized how powerful affirmations are until I read this book. It has also taught me how to take my power and harness it...more
Niko
first of all i have to say that i don't like "self help" books at all...and i especially don't like preachy books, but even though this book has both of those elements i read it when i'm troubled and it helps to get me back on my feet. corny? yes. true? yes. it's basically the common sense that you need your friends to tell you, but sometimes they're too involved to be unbiased. that's all.
Tljenkins36
This is a must have for anyone who feels lost and wishes to find their own way. I read this book over a decade ago and am rereading it again. I am still gaining new insight from this book. I plan to reread every decade to insure that I stay focused and on my right path.
Katie Q
If you don't have this book get it! This is one book that I treat like a bible - it is one of the most important books to help you in whatever situation you are in, wherever you are in life.

Don't think about it - just get it. The book has helped millions of people.
Keri
So far I am learning some of the most valuable lessons in life...Its really teaches that whatever you put into your life is what you will get out of your life...This is one that I will continue to refer back to for the rest of my life...A MUST BUY!!!!
Mary
A good book to read cover-to-cover, and even better to keep by the nightstand to randomly read a passage for inspiration. I recommend that everyone own a copy.
Cristina
Recommended to me years ago by a psychic, i still pick it up from time to time. Positive read, Scovel Shinn just about has all the answers.
Nancy
you can create anything you want simply by aligning your thoughts and words with the perfect good that resides divinely within you
Shirma
I always return here and it always leads me to comfort, hope, faith and the source of my strength.
Vicki
I read this at least once a year to remind myself to keep moving forward!
Jef
few books change the way you think forever, this, for me, is one of them.
Cheryl
Just pulled it from the shelf to reread - again.
Tony DeLiso
Read this wonderful "Must Read" book many times
Diana Bogan
This book was given to me by a good friend several years ago. I tried to read it then, respecting her opinion that I would find value between the covers. But, I didn't get very far. I think it was the reference to God and Bible passages that turned me off and I missed the general, underlying message of faith and positive thinking.

This time around I found great comfort in reading the book. It really did help me maintain a positive outlook through some difficult times. I didn't enjoy all of the bo...more
Casey
Nov 18, 2007 Casey rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a way to deal with life
Ok. So I finished this book and my take on it is this. There are a lot of Affirmations, but over all it was very helpful to me in re centering my thoughts. She simplifies life, and how look at life without over analyzing it and getting depressed. She is big on manifesting your reality (sometimes to an extent that I couldn't relate to), but overall offers a really optimistic view of what we all have to look forward to if we are able to maintain faith in a positive destiny.
EMP
4.5 stars. I can't believe knowing/reading The Secret and Abraham Hicks for years that it took me this long to find her. I am not religious and she references God, Jesus and quotes the Bible frequently. Normally, this would not appeal to me, but the way she writes, I don't find it off-putting at all. In fact, as another reviewer mentioned, it seems to clarify Bible verses that made no sense to me in the past. I also like having 4 books all in one. What a deal!
Jacqueline Genetti
This is an amazing book. It can seem preachy and mentions "god" a lot, but if you can look past the religious part, you find some really great advice for being selfless and the power of positive thinking. This is "the Secret" before it was famous or popular.

Of course, this book also came to me in a time when I needed it. Highly recommended if you are going through some hard times. Stay posi. :)
Donna Gregory
Shannon was an evangelist in the early 20th century. The wisdom found in her writing is incredible. It is extremely applicable for every time period. What I like about Shinm is that she is extremely readable. She is also very blunt. She uses the power of the word to help us understand spiritual situations. A must read for anyone on a spiritual journey.
Jeanie
I don't generally like these sort of books, but I liked her spiritual principals. Chris gave me the book to read.
Cary Lindsey
My copy is threadbare I reach for it so often. A great go to when you forget that you get what you put out there.
Tania McCartney
Life-changingly beautiful, open, honest and grounded. Insight after insight from a woman of incredible wisdom.
Ninio Stefanac
good ideas and thoughts always open to another persons views and thoughts about the law of attraction
Chris
Nov 08, 2013 Chris added it
The book that introduced me to God!!! Next? The Bible!! Can't wait!!!
Traci
I'm straight up buying this book. Must own.
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
The Game of Life and How to Play It (Prosperity Classic) Writings of Florence Scovel Shinn: "Game of Life and How to Play It", "Your Word Is Your Wand", "Power of the Spoken Word" & ... of the Spoken Word, Secret Door to Success Your Word is Your Wand: A Sequel to the Game of Life and How to Play It The Secret Door to Success Power of the Spoken Word