Start by marking “Suicide and Attempted Suicide: Methods and Consequences” as Want to Read:
Suicide and Attempted Suicide: Methods and Consequences

Suicide and Attempted Suicide: Methods and Consequences

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Too often attempted suicide leads to unintended consequences, because ignorance is deadly and desperation can be fatal. In this morally courageous book, Geo Stone sets out to diminish the lack of awareness about suicide, from the tragedy of teenage suicide to the debate over assisted suicide.
Published August 12th 2001 by Da Capo Press (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Suicide and Attempted Suicide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suicide and Attempted Suicide

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsTwilight by Stephenie MeyerEclipse by Stephenie MeyerNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerBreaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer
Great Books with BLACK covers
207th out of 1,197 books — 678 voters
Stiff by Mary RoachHamlet by William ShakespeareThe Bell Jar by Sylvia PlathThe Lovely Bones by Alice SeboldThe Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom
Thanatopsis: Death, Dying, and Mortality
94th out of 236 books — 135 voters

More lists with this book...

Natalie
In a few words, this is a how-to manual on suicide. More interestingly, the author also indicates what methods are best for suicidal gestures - the infamous "cries for help." The reader of this book will learn what to expect when hanging one's self, setting one's self on fire, jumping from a bridge, slitting one's wrists, inhaling carbon monoxide, shooting one's self, eating pills, and several other methods of suicide I hadn't even considered particularly valid. More importantly, the reader will ...more
Marie
Sep 13, 2007 Marie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who want to safely kill themselves
It's really not fair to give this book a 4 star rating indicating that "I really liked it." My 4 star rating is more in terms of how well written this book is. Seriously, if one is interested in ending one's life via suicide, this book is the resource needed. It details exactly what is needed for a variety of suicide methods and outlines the risks of each method. Very informative. Scarily informative.
Carlos Vazquez

Un libro extraño que me parece no se ha vuelto a editar y que compré hace mucho por curiosidad morbosa.
Pues trata ni más ni menos de las técnicas para suicidarse, sin apenas consideraciones filosóficas o morales de calado. El autor dice que es un experto en farmacología y modestamente, creo que lo que dice puede funcionar, pero ¿es lógico que se publique tal libro?
Opino que estamos en vísperas de una revolución médica colosal debido a la genética y bioquímíca, farmacología y otras ciencias, pe
Tony Perry
Essential for anyone that wants clear choices. One of the most important books I've ever read.
Bill H.
Dec 21, 2011 Bill H. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Callers to the suicide hotline I work at.
Shelves: suicide, favorites
A highly entertaining read. Aside from a detailed accounting of suicide methods, Stone outlines how to effectively stage a suicide gesture. Most reviews tend to overlook the harm reduction contained here and focus on the methods themselves, arguing that the book encourages suicide. It does nothing of the kind.
This book tackles suicide more honestly than any other I've come across. It actually discouraged me from killing myself, I'm not sure if this was the author's intent, but that's the effect it had on me. It's chock full of statistics/info. Very informative.
Krysten
This book is arguably more about assisted suicide than suicide in general.

When I first flipped through it I saw a lot of charts and statistics, which made me think/hope the book would have some insight as to who commits suicide and how and why, etc. I was hoping for case studies, but I got anecdotes instead. I was a bit shocked that so much of the book was devoted to comparing various suicide methods and the best ways to carry them out if one intends to die or to make a suicidal gesture/cry for
Ummia Gina
Most of the other books I have read on the topic of suicide discuss behavior and causes with the emphasis on statistics and studies about suicidal behavior. The emphasis of this book is method of suicide. It goes into the details of how individuals have commuted suicide, what it takes to be successful in commuting suicide and what could happen if you fail. The book has a strong focus on assisted suicide.
Hari
In a few words, this is a how-to manual on suicide,More interestingly....
Very informative
Lauren Tessin
Lauren Tessin marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
William Aars
William Aars marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Rongrong Gao
Rongrong Gao marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Taylor Pluntz
Taylor Pluntz marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Ribquah Andreescu
Ribquah Andreescu marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
yes books
yes books marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Kiara Kamara
Kiara Kamara marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Lizi Prandle
Lizi Prandle marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Skylar
Skylar marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Imogen Roberts
Imogen Roberts marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
audrey puckett
audrey puckett marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Kate Pilgrim
Kate Pilgrim marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Tejas
Tejas added it
Apr 02, 2015
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Just wondering......? 6 72 Sep 22, 2013 04:20PM
  • November of the Soul: The Enigma of Suicide
  • ...Or Not to Be: A Collection of Suicide Notes
  • Why People Die by Suicide
  • The Suicidal Mind
  • The Final Leap: Suicide on the Golden Gate Bridge
  • Final Exit: The Practicalities of Self-deliverance & Assisted Suicide for the Dying
  • Feeling Unreal: Depersonalization Disorder and the Loss of the Self
  • After the Funeral: The Posthumous Adventures of Famous Corpses
  • Speaking of Sadness: Depression, Disconnection, and the Meanings of Illness
  • Whispers: The Voices of Paranoia
  • A Mood Apart: The Thinker's Guide to Emotion and Its Disorders
  • Bodies Under Siege: Self-mutilation and Body Modification in Culture and Psychiatry
  • On Suicide: A Study in Sociology