Nocover-blank-133x176
Saint V. Scotland Yard

Leslie Charteris

Saint V. Scotland Yard (Simon Templar 'The Saint' #9)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Published 1974 by Coronet Books (first published 1932)

Adam Graham
The Saint, a character who remained popular for decades and has been portrayed by everyone from George Sanders and Vincent Price to Roger Moore and Val Kilmer got his start in literature.

This is book is from 1932 and each story features the Saint working outside or even against Scotland Yard, near the start of the character's run and collects three short stories. "The Inland Revenue" sees Simon trying to shut down a blackmailer. "The Million Pound Day" pits the Saint against a ruthless gang of k...more
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in December 1999.

By mid 1932, Charteris must have been tired; and The Saint Versus Scotland Yard (aka The Holy Terror) was only in the middle of an amazing burst of work which produced most of the early Saint stories in just a couple of years. The strain shows here, slightly, in the way that some of the originality of earlier stories is missing. While he cannot be said to be just going through the motions, there is little in the three stories in this book tha...more
George
A series of three short stories featuring Charteris' character "The Saint." Each is a mystery of sorts featuring The Saint accomplishing whatever he has set himself out to do and evading the efforts of Scotland Yard Chief Inspector of C.I.D. Teal's efforts to find something criminal to arrest The Saint for. Each finds The Saint matching wits and strength with various villains and coming out on top.
Martyn
Feb 05, 2011 Martyn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Spy story fans
Recommended to Martyn by: My brain
Shelves: fiction, 2011
I enjoyed this collection a lot but I definitely prefer the later Charteris Saint stories - his prose calms down in the later years and the action is a little more gritty and (realistically) witty.

The plots in these early short stories are a bit jumpy and the dialog very dated (I couldn't work out whether The Saint reminded me of Raffles, Wooster or Bond in character until I realized that he's reminiscent of all three!) Some of Simon's jokes and revelations come off as corny to the modern ear.

T...more
Uma
Uma marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2014
Geert
Geert marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2013
Nobody
Nobody marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2013
Marie Santsingh
Marie Santsingh marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2013
John Harper
John Harper marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2013
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2013
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
"The Saint&q...: Holy Terror (aka The Saint V. Scotland Yard) 1 2 Nov 29, 2012 05:10PM
Born Leslie Charles Bowyer-Yin, Leslie Charteris was a half-Chinese, half English author of primarily mystery fiction, as well as a screenwriter. He was best known for his many books chronicling the adventures of Simon Templar, alias "The Saint."
More about Leslie Charteris...
Enter The Saint The Saint In New York The Saint and Mr. Teal (The Saint) The Saint Meets the Tiger The Saint: The Last Hero