Start by marking “The Saint In New York” as Want to Read:
The Saint In New York

The Saint In New York (Simon Templar 'The Saint' #15)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  206 ratings  ·  18 reviews
How Simon Templar cleans up corruption in Manhattan and brings the mob along with its mysterious leader to justice all in the space of forty-eight hours.

Another long weekend - for the Saint.

Published 1984 by Dent (first published 1934)

To ask other readers questions about The Saint In New York, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Saint In New York

Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in July 2000.

This novel, the first Saint story to be conceived as a novel rather than expanded to that length from work which had already appeared in magazines, established Leslie Charteris as an international bestseller. This is a new Saint, rather more in the line of an American thriller character than he was originally, though still maintaining a trademark line of banter perplexing to his opponents.

The three days covered in the novel's plot do require a pa
Mike Jensen
The first SAINT book I read and a huge improvement over those written earlier. Charteris was not a BLACK MASK writer, but mastered that very readable style early. He was too prone to remind readers how fabulous Simon Templar was every three pages, which is tedious. His plots were absurd. By the time he wrote THE SAINT IN NEW YORK, he still had his pulpy style but had reduced the number of fabulous reminders to a bearable level, and his plotting had improved. I won’t kid anyone and claim this is ...more
David Cranmer
The plot has Simon Templar befriending a wealthy American, William Valcross, whose son was murdered. He’s given a generous proposal that’s right up his alley: a million dollars to go to NYC and bring the killer to justice. But it’s no easy task with the deep rooted corruption that pervades the city’s judicial system. He cleans up the graft by eliminating men from the Mafioso’s hierarchy, meticulously working his way to the top to find out the identity of the “The Big Fellow” who is controlling t ...more
Randy
From 1933, a harder edged Saint than the later books, Simon Templar is in New York earning $1,000,000 by tracking down and killing underworld figures that killed his employer's son a few years before.

Along the way, he rescues a six year old girl kidnapped because her millionaire father had refused to pay protection, prevents her from being killed, and tracks down the "big Guy" behind it all.
HBalikov
The Saint was the most popular character in British thrillers before James Bond. Like Fleming's protagonist, he enjoys the good things in life while showing his dark side. And, like Bond, The Saint has been portrayed on film, radio and television by a gaggle of actors including: George Sanders, Vincent Price, Roger Moore and Val Kilmer. Unlike Bond, The Saint (Simon Templar)has no "license to kill," but he does so while following his own "code."

Charteris, who began writing about him in the 1920
Mark
Oct 15, 2012 Mark rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Folks who like their pulphero's
One of the early Saint novels not written in three novellas. ANd it is a nice take upon the sole adventurer who is up against the whole of New Yorks gangsterdom.
The Saint gets asked to help out in order to break the back of organised crime in a pre-WOII New York. He comes to town and gets to work with a list of people that are big boys in the crime world and pretty quick people start dying. The Saint meets Henry Fernack a police-officer he likes (and will continue to do so in future books and mo
Wolf
Thoroughly Entertaining Saint Story.

Set in the days just after prohibition as criminal gangs look to switch their activities from bootlegging to kidnapping, 'The Saint in New York' puts Simon Templar up against New York's worst. The Saint books always offer breezy wit and charm - this is no exception. There is also a certain element of grit here too though: a police detective offers a justification for brutality in a corrupt system. When first published it must have had an element of reportage
Jeff Pfaller
This series was my grampa's favorite. Found a few copies in basement at his cottage. I've loved this series ever since.
Kenneth
I think this is the best of the Saint books. The Saint is a modern day Robin Hood type character who steals from crooks, rights wrongs and saves endangered maidens (mostly for himself). They are humorous and exciting at the same time. The best Saint books were all written prior to WWII. I read a lot of them in my teenage years before I discovered James Bond. None of the films or TV programmes ever did the books justice.

The author, Leslie Charteris was half English and half Chinese and his early
Alissa Hankinson
I recently ordered this book after seeing it read by the character Shosanna Dreyfus in Quentin Tarantino's Inglorious Basterds. The copy I have has a different cover than the one shown in the movie. The book was originally published in 1935, my copy is a 1944 edition. The back cover of my copy states: "Because the New Avon Books are easy to open, light to hold, thrilling to read, and compact to carry or store in clothing or bags, they are ideal as gifts to the Armed Forces".
Alex Howard
This was my second outing with The Saint, and I'm very fast getting another series to read. This is great writing, and despite the fact it is set and written in the 1930s, wouldn't look too far out of place today. I got thoroughly swept up in the plot, and didn't even have the chance of guessing ahead - for all the good it would have done. Throw yourself into a Leslie Charteris book - you won't be disappointed.
Dennis
This was my very first Saint book. Very good story and character in that old school way from the 1930's. I find The Saint to be almost a English super hero out to rid the world of crime and evil his way. I think I will read the very first Saint book and learn the history of Simon Templar.
Michele bookloverforever
much darker than the previous books. sad and twisted ending
the saint got tricked...
Linda
Worth more than a look. No swearing, no 'scenes', historical relevance about the problems of graft and corruption...and how to clean it up.
Elaine
very dated, but still fun. Although I did figure out who the real bad guy had to be before Simon...
Rita
Forgot how much I enjoy the story lines of the Saint! So glad I picked it up again by chance
Munteeomibe
Jan 04, 2012 Munteeomibe added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Munteeomibe by: munteeomibe
colleen
read 06.17.84
read 10.18.84
Nuno Marques
Nuno Marques marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Roger Johnson
Roger Johnson marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Gonia
Gonia marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Kerenza
Kerenza marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
"The Saint" books...: The Saint In New York 1 2 Nov 30, 2012 08:24AM
Goodreads Librari...: ISBN 321??? 14 53 Oct 31, 2011 02:30PM
  • The Hall of the Mountain King (Avaryan Rising, #1)
  • A Whiff of Death
  • Pennington's Last Term
  • The Man Who Could Not Shudder (Dr. Gideon Fell, #12)
  • The Garden of the Stone (The Stone Duology, #2)
  • The Case of the Beautiful Beggar
  • The Edogawa Rampo Reader
  • Maigret Bides His Time
  • Bridle the Wind (Felix Brooke, #2)
  • The Importance of Turning Around Three Times Before Lying Down
  • The Black Lizard Anthology of Crime Fiction
  • Mammoth Book Of Pulp Fiction
  • Burn Me Deadly (Eddie LaCrosse, #2)
  • The Snatch (Nameless Detective, #1)
  • Rorschach Blots
  • Fog
Born Leslie Charles Bowyer-Yin, Leslie Charteris was a half-Chinese, half English author of primarily mystery fiction, as well as a screenwriter. He was best known for his many books chronicling the adventures of Simon Templar, alias "The Saint."
More about Leslie Charteris...

Simon Templar 'The Saint' (1 - 10 of 53 books)
  • The Saint Meets the Tiger
  • The Saint Closes the Case
  • Enter the Saint
  • The Avenging Saint
  • Featuring the Saint
  • Alias the Saint
  • Saint Meets His Match
  • Saint V. Scotland Yard
  • The Saint's Getaway (The Saint #9)
  • The Saint and Mr. Teal (The Saint)
Enter the Saint The Saint and Mr. Teal (The Saint) The Saint Meets the Tiger The Avenging Saint Saint V. Scotland Yard