Maximum Impact

Maximum Impact

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  25 reviews
In 1993, a legendary hacker brainstorms the ultimate terrorist attack in a members-only online chat room. On September 11, 2001, he sees his dark vision materializing into a murderous reality. Jeannie Reese, lead designer in the US government's Total Information Awareness program, begins a high-tech pursuit of this mythical figure.
Published June 2nd 2008 by Sphere (first published January 1st 2007)

Alex Murphy
Is the sexy/super-genius early twenties that is super tough yet virginal/sexually naive a trope? Because I've read examples of this character in at least three books other than this one. And did she have to become attracted to an overweight nerd old enough to be here dad? Especially less than 3 days after her boyfriend was killed, in a suicide mission to rescue said nerd. Its just that you wouldn't have it the other way round would you. Either a handsome fit young man attracted to a fat 50-ish w...more
Terence
I listened to it as an audio book while driving interstate (my business), so I had no problem with continuity as I usually listen to 2 books per average trip. I am a bit "techie", just a "bit", so I related to the high-tech stuff reasonably well, nonetheless, it all became too much. I persevered, I really did, but gave it away by chapter 11 or so out of 15. If I had been actually reading this book it would not have survived beyond three or four chapters.

I thought the story line was simply not cr...more
Kieran Delaney
Jack Henderson wrote a book, about one of the most iconic terrorist attacks in history, and bastardised it into fiction whilst shoe-horning liberal doses of paranoia and conspiracy into a tight plot and slightly obscured attack on American foreign policy. Probably not surprising then that no publisher would touch it, even in a country that prides itself on freedom of speech.

So Henderson self published it - on the internet. Long story short, the book was so phenomenally successful in its relative

Heather
Jul 07, 2008 Heather rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: armchair conspiracy theorists
Suleman Ali
Maximum Impact is a great thriller built around the 9/11 attacks.

Henderson present a thriller which weaves an interesting conspiracy around the events of September 11 with enough twists to keep the reader interested.

The book is split into 3 parts of which I enjoyed the first part the most with the introduction of the characters and the hints of the greater conspiracy about to unfold. The middle part was a little slow for my liking.
I actually liked the last part too where most of the action took...more
Peter
Really exciting book, centred on a couple of super-brainy geeks, some crazy computer programs, lots of action, and a plot for overthrowing the government. What's not to like? :)

There are various techie references thrown into the narrative which I appreciated, although I did note a few minor mistakes. (How many compilers create a Windows executable which contain the text of source code comments, for example?) The mistakes were not a big deal at all though.

For me, Henderson's writing style is easy...more
Ruth Ann
Conspiracy theory plot - I liked how he weaved a wild scenario around 9/11 and it's (heretofore unknown) aftermath.
Tech jargon - Of course it's all computer/internet/AI programs and the jargon gets a little overwhelming sometimes.
Character development - The main two characters I liked, but the development was somewhat forced and awkward. Romance was awkward, but that kind of fit their personalities...
Continuity - abrupt leaps in POV and time that were confusing
Overall - for a debut novel, this w...more
Douglas Brown
This book really entertained for two thirds of the way, then got a bit jumbled up. A little old in the techie parts, but all one had to do was go back in time. There were so many times during the book when I thought this author wrote this book just for my liking.
I was in the thriller section of the library and almost gave up searching for a book, and for some reason the jacket caught my attention, so I took it out on a whim. Glad for it.
Dj
Mar 02, 2010 Dj rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who love fast moving action thrillers
An excellent read.very fast moving and great for a techie like me :)
Slightly dated in a few technical details but fun nevertheless.
The ending feels a bit contrived but the overall plot is superb.
Best part was that I had mailed Jack about a quote he used in the book and he actually mailed me back in a day. Now that's taking care of your fans :)
highly recommended if you love fast moving action thrillers
DJ
Sandra
A great first novel by Jack Henderson that was full of action, surprises and romance. There were a lot of details in the book that probably took the author a lot of time to research and figure out. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys thrillers with twists and turns, a book that you cannot put down until you are finished with it.
Patrick Ellard
A gripping book for two thirds of it's length, it loses focus near the end ad the author makes the plot far too complicated. If the last third was as good as the first two this really would have been a book of pure brilliance. In the end it's a good thriller which was obviously painstakingly researched by the author. Worth the read.
Normalene
Shades of "Wag the Dog"! I loved the characters and the plot in this story. Home-grown terrorists are just as crazy as foreign-born terrorists and just as dangerous. I loved the computer interaction and Kate's persona was spot on for an AI. There is room for more in this world so I hope I get to read them.
Carl
Apr 06, 2008 Carl rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chris, Ellen Auer
Shelves: techno-thriller
Gripping thriller. I loved the tie-ins with computer technology and the mad rants of the ultra right religious fanatic.I remember Clancy's scenario where a plane hits the Pentagon and takes out enough people to wherein his protagonist becomes Prez.
This book also stirs memories of De Mille's Wildfire.
Dahye
It was pretty good!!! I loved this book. I gave it four stars because it is hard for me to understand. And with the swear words, it seemed like the story was more realistic with people swearing all the time when bad things happen XD Thats what I thought!! Anyway, it was a good book
Bookworm(Jack)
If you like "24", you will definitely like this quick,explosive reading. There is no dull moment in this suspenseful book. Hope you all like it. Personal suggestion, read it at the cold miserable rainy night so you will be wrapped in a heat of the greatest adventure.
Dignan107
Great read this. Like others who have reviewed this book, some of the technical details went way over my head but didn't detract from what is a great fast paced story. Really enjoyed reading this, the authors debut novel & will now hunt down other titles.
Jo
Exciting thriller, rather reminiscent of a season of 24, and it was nice to have a hero who's a geek. I'm not techy enough to understand all of it, but it didn't matter. I just wish he told us what happened to the dog!
Erwin Maulana
This is a book about a smart woman, skilled hacker, and some evil people that give you many actions and the next thing you know it is over. It is over soon because it's exciting to follow the action.

Judy
Lots of action in this thriller. Found myself skipping the occasional paragraph where there was a lot of technical data but the story was quite gripping. Cleverly written!
Joe
Aug 11, 2009 Joe rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Tom Clancy Fans
Not a bad novel, very high tech with some funny dialoge & characters. Some of the technological aspects lost me, but overall the book did enough to hold my interest..
Serenitydots
This was a good read, very creative. Maybe a bit cliched in some aspects, but the rest of the book more than made up for it.
Megan Dooley
Amazing book. Could not put it down. I recommend it for people who have some spare time and enjoy reading.
Zuki
Jul 12, 2007 Zuki rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nerds
good fast nerdy book to read. couldnt put it down.
Keith
brilliant thriller
Mark Snow
Mark Snow marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Karin
Karin marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Archoboy
Archoboy marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Same book as Maximum Impact? 2 7 Feb 16, 2012 04:33PM
Seven Seconds Jack Draws Anything Reloaded: Roman (German Edition) Reloaded Roman The Journey of Life