Start by marking “The Painted Alphabet” as Want to Read:
The Painted Alphabet

The Painted Alphabet

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Appalled with the coruption of his daily life, Siladri decides to live the life of an ascetic with his wife and niece, but arch-witch Daya Datu and her protegee conspire to kill Siladri and kidnap his niece.
Published October 1st 1994 by Graywolf Press (first published March 25th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Painted Alphabet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Painted Alphabet

The Year of Living Dangerously by Christopher J. KochPlanet Graxpiex by Rudi HilmantoThe Painted Alphabet by Diana DarlingCatatan Seorang Demonstran by Soe Hok GieTiger Stone by Deryn Mansell
Best Books About Indonesia
3rd out of 36 books — 11 voters
The Jack Tales by Richard ChaseMomotaro (the Peach Boy) by J. YorkThe Painted Alphabet by Diana DarlingRed Earth and Pouring Rain by Vikram ChandraGrandfather Tales by Richard Chase
Folktales
1st out of 61 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Marie
I picked up this book because it was so small and sweet-looking and the blurb said it was based on a Balinese epic poem. I devoured it in a matter of hours. It was epic and familiar in its tropical setting, something which reminded me of the Caribbean...but to me, the Caribbean feels so young in comparison to the Indonesian/South-east Asia/Oceanic culture.

However, around the twelfth chapter I turned to the back of the book to look at the author and this is where I regret my habit of not paying
SmokingMirror
4.5
At first I drew back for fear that the funny parts were a Western writer making fun of a quaint little culture, but when I recognized that the funny parts were really just an enjoyment of human goofiness, I started to love the book. The story veers from earthy to sublime without juddering. I will certainly reread this book, I hope in one sitting rather than piecemeal as I had to the first time, and it may even become a five star, i.e. book I intend to treasure always.
bookinglibrarian
I wish I could locate the one sentence review I wrote for this book in 1998, when I was assigned to read and review it for a library school class I took from Nancy Pearl. This sensuously mystical tale set in Bali unfolds with magic, humor and humanity.
Cathie
Loosely based on a folk tale from Bali, by an American who lived there for over 10 years and spoke the language fluently. Definitely a non-American perspective!

I loved the language and the descriptions, especially since I have been to Bali.
Alissa Mccarthy
It's a loosely woven Balinese fable and while certainly not written with the greatest skill, it none the less, really captured my attention. I enjoyed it for just the piece of delight I believe it was intended to be.
Andrei
What did I get from this novel?

Soft lines around my eyes from too much cringing over the bad writing and cliche plot (which almost felt like it was 'stolen' from some Indonesian horror movies from the 70s/80s).
Sita
Based on Balinese tale, Diana Darling tells such an enchanting story of the island of God around 1900s. She's been living there for more than 10 years now, and also speaks the language.
Hope
Darling has taken an old Balinese epic poem(?) and re-created it as a truly engaging magical novel. I loved this book!
Ann
Going to Bali? Read this fairy-tale/epic for insight into the Balinese worldview.
Agus Ari
one of a novel i didn't read complete. it is so boring (for a balinese).
Claire
one of my favorite (literary) books. so beautiful.
Effie
A lovely story based on a traditional Balinese tale.
ben
My first book from Bali, and probably not my last.
Julie
Best assigned reading of my schooling career.
Art
Love the weaving of the magic and realism.
Lena
Lena marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Thomas Slayton
Thomas Slayton marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Rena Hunt
Rena Hunt marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Julia
Julia is currently reading it
Sep 10, 2014
Laura (ME)
Laura (ME) marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Davidtank
Davidtank marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Zanna
Zanna marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Joy
Joy marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
500 Great Books B...: The Painted Alphabet - Diana Darling 1 2 Jul 20, 2014 05:52PM
Bali Sketchbook: Watercolours Marc Jurt, Anatomies of the Invisible