Taps:  A Novel

Taps: A Novel

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  181 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The final work by one of America’s most beloved authors, TAPS returns to the stretch of southern delta that Willie Morris made famous with his award-winning classic NORTH TOWARD HOME and the enormously popular tales of his inimitable dog Skip. Morris said he put everything he knew into this novel, and the result is the crowning achievement of his career -- a tender, powerf...more
Published April 16th 2001 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Taps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taps

Jabbott
I don't usually cry when I finish a book. Indeed, there are just a few books that made me misty-eyed; All Quiet on the Western comes to mind immediately. But Taps was different. Literally, I have never finished a book with tears streaming down my face.

Not that weeping automatically indicates a great book, but Taps is one of a kind. A true coming of age story. It's a powerful narrative of how a young boy comes to life not because of its joys and wonders, but through its heartaches, quirks, and t...more
Dana
A fantastic Southern novel. The characters in this book stayed with me long after I finished it. You just can't beat a coming of age story about a boy and his dog, set against the backdrop of the South. Willie Morris is a wonderful story teller and does his home state of Mississippi proud.
Ashley
This is the first Willie Morris book I've read (in which I seem to be an oddity) and it is a beautifully written book. I haven't read a book that develops such a nice male (non-sexual) friendship in a while. The vocabulary left me speechless (ha!) and I enjoyed the slow development of the plot. Very laidback, but I kept turning pages. My big problem with it (only 3 stars) is really just a personal issue, (mild spoiler here!) but I hate tragedy, especially as an ending. That's it. When I read tra...more
Melissa
I think this book would have been really interesting, it just didn't fit my life right now. I couldn't get into it. I picked it off the shelf because there was a dog on the cover. When i read about the author I found out he wrote My Dog Skip, a cute dog movie I had seen. The story follows a teenage boy growing up during the Korean war. He plays his trumpet at the funerals of fallen soldiers in his neighborhood. Intriguing... i just wasnt ready to read it. Maybe sometime i will try again.
Judy
Sometimes hard to get into. The author's last book, actually finished by his wife. An interesting look at growing up in the 50's in the south and events surrounding the Korean Conflict. Kind of relate to today and the differences and similarities between the people of that time and people now and their attitudes towards life.
I did like when he expressed his feelings about the echo taps at the end of the book. A sad ending in a way.
Susan
I'm not a huge "coming of age" fan, but Willie Morris's final work transcends the genre with his melancholy and compelling tale of Swayze, Georgia, and Arch and one long sad year in the small town of Fisk's Landing during the Korean War. Elegiac is not a strong enough word.
R.J.
This book joins a short, short list of others that I would term life-altering. Brought clarity to a lot of thoughts on childhood, life and love that have been rattling around in my head for a while. Beautiful prose.
Sherry Cooke
Somehow I missed Willie Morris's books until now. This is a great coming of age novel set in a time I remember in the south as I remember it. Felt like a visit back in time to my own home town. Great book!
Jackie
This was a sweet coming of age book. Willie Morris talked about writing this book for years and had started it just before he died. His wife and editor finished it. It's a wholesome, 1950's sort of book.
Cathy
Molly
This was a really lovely book about an adolescent in small town mississippi during the korean war. I loved it. I want to read all of his books now.
Beckita
slow reading, or maybe it was me, but a good tale. And I know one of the people in the afterward/acknowlegments!
Karla Kitalong
I'd never heard of Willie Morris, but he tells a good coming of age story, set in the South in the 1950s.
Nancy
really enjoyed it--be prepared for numerous big words--they don't interfere with the story line though
Ross
Easy to get into, classic Morris fiction set in small town Mississippi
Janet
Only book I've ever read that made me cry!
Elizabeth
I'm never going to finish this.
Jody
One of my all time favorites.
Lewanda Morse
Lewanda Morse marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Lindsey Jones
Lindsey Jones marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Lana Hasper
Lana Hasper marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Jayne
Jayne marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Marty Elrod
Marty Elrod marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Joy
Joy marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
MissMerryRed
MissMerryRed marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
William Weaks "Willie" Morris (November 29, 1934 — August 2, 1999), was an American writer and editor born in Jackson, Mississippi, though his family later moved to Yazoo City, Mississippi, which he immortalized in his works of prose. Morris' trademark was his lyrical prose style and reflections on the American South, particularly the Mississippi Delta. In 1967 he became the youngest editor of Har...more
More about Willie Morris...
My Dog Skip My Cat Spit McGee North Toward Home Good Old Boy: A Delta Boyhood The Courting of Marcus Dupree