Start by marking “The Dowry of Miss Lydia Clark (The Gresham Chronicles, Book 3)” as Want to Read:
The Dowry of Miss Lydia Clark (The Gresham Chronicles, Book 3)

The Dowry of Miss Lydia Clark (Gresham Chronicles #3)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  877 ratings  ·  65 reviews
When spring arrives in full, the town of Gresham reawakens to life. Soon more than one unlikely romance blooms among her villagers and readers will be delighted as even a bruised and timid heart is made to feel young and renewed. Devoted fans' love for the town of Gresham and its charming inhabitants has helped this series become a deeply cherished bestseller!
Published January 1st 2008 by Bethany House Publishers (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Dowry of Miss Lydia Clark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dowry of Miss Lydia Clark

Redeeming Love by Francine RiversA Voice in the Wind by Francine RiversAn Echo in the Darkness by Francine RiversAs Sure as the Dawn by Francine RiversA Bride Most Begrudging by Deeanne Gist
Christian Historical Romance Favorites
312th out of 418 books — 345 voters
Until That Distant Day by Jill StenglThorn in My Heart by Liz Curtis HiggsA Love of Her Own by Maggie BrendanA Promise for Ellie by Lauraine SnellingSecret Place of Thunder by Lynn Morris
Great Christian Romances
35th out of 100 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Julie Klassen
I've enjoyed many of Lawana Blackwell's novels, but this was one of my favorites.
Rachel Crooks
I stumbled upon this Gresham series in the library one day, and after overcoming some conceited shame at actually reading a predictable Christian romance, I really began to enjoy the characters and their individual struggles! There are a few reasons this book is worth reading, and one reason it isn't:

+1) The characters are warm-hearted and loveable, as well as diverse. Blackwell possesses the ability to get into the hearts and souls of her characters, and the difficulties they encounter are real
Mary
I cannot get enough of the people in the village of Gresham. This book was as fun to read as the first two in the series. I'm looking forward to reading the fourth and last book in the series. I have to say, I have not always been impressed with "Christian" fiction. But this series wraps the Christian life into real situations and is quite inspiring. The characters are delightful and original. Good Read
Linnette
It's been quite some time since I read the first two books in this series, therefore it was a lot of work. I did enjoy the read, but I would have enjoyed more of Miss Lydia Clark's story and less of the side characters. While I understand the side characters are from previous books and I usually enjoy seeing how things transpire, I think there could have been a little less of the others and a little more of Miss Clark and her beau. The description on the back of the book didn't prepare for this. ...more
Loraine
I really love books like this. Clean, easy to follow, good living. Nothing really out of the ordinary happens, but it's so interesting to read about people's lives in another century. I want to LIVE in Gresham. At that time. It seems so innocent a time to live, when propriety was so important. It seems a much simpler life, too. Sometimes when I'm running hither and yon, I yearn for a slower pace. When I can disappear into a novel like this one, I get that slower pace fulfilled. I'm looking forwa ...more
Heather
Patti
I actually would boost this to 4 1/2 stars. Second time read for me again, and I must say I thoroughly enjoy invisibly roaming the village of Gresham!

The newest (and oldest) of Gresham's inhabitants are introduced and layer upon layer we get to know their characters and challenges. One writing detail I especially like is the way Lawana Blackwell puts the character's thoughts and reactions in italics so we know what they are REALLY thinking. Propriety dominants actions in 19th century England, b
Gail
As sappy Christian romance novels go, this is as good as it gets. An easy read, some nice historical detail (though occasionally inserted with an awkward hand), characters, plot, and less preachy than most.

None of it is /great/, but it is all competently rendered, and the characters grow in a consistent and believable way, learning lessons over time instead of merely having a Christian epiphany at the end which serves as a --forgive me-- deus ex machina.

I wish it were possible to find Christian
Mary
Lawana Blackwell has written wonderful Christian Historical Romances. This is the last in this series and I have enjoyed it a lot. A young woman whom was raised in a supposedly Christian home with a Vicar/ Father, received little attention and care. She got drawn into a seriously wicked relationship at a young age, but during the story is wooed by the Holy Spirit and has a new life. At the same time, an old maid school teacher thought she would probably never marry until a handsome archeologist ...more
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
Like the first two books in the series, The Widow of Larkspur Inn and The Courtship of the Vicar's Daughter, the story is about the quaint dairy village of Gresham and not just about the title character.

Lydia is courted by the rugged coarse Harold Sanders, but finds her heart stolen by archaeologist Jacob Pitney who is interested in the distant overly romantic Miss Rawlins. Pretending to be a widow, Noelle Somerville arrives in Gresham having been sent away by her married lover and finds hersel
Tiffany
So far this has been my favorite of the Gresham Chronicles. I love the two main characters in this story (the schoolmistress and the archeologist) and their developing relationship. It was a great story about friendship being the basis of a solid relationship and being our true selves. I love the subtle and witty humor. It was also a great story about the transformation from personal shallowness and dependence to spiritual depth and reconciliation.
Penny
After finishing this incredible book today, I went to my bookshelves to pick my next book to read and I was greatly disappointed. There will be no more Vicar and Mrs. Phelps, Mr. and Mrs. Clay, until I get the fourth and final book of this series. The characters in these books become your friends. You are left wanting to know what is happening to them. You are always yearning for more.
Belladora Ahumada
After reading the first two books in this series I had to grab the third. I have completely enjoyed it. Sometimes I find myself chuckling out loud. Other times I am lost in the beautiful detail the writer weaves into the settings. And often I find peace with the kindness she lays before the readers eyes. This has been a blessing to read and share. Bravo again!
Melissa
Plain schoolteacher, Miss Clark, is considered an old maid. But things get interesting when a country man decides to court her. When a lodger at the inn falls in love with a novelist who stays in the inn, he asks for Miss Clark's help in deciphering the symbolism in her books.
Daisy
I devoured this series, but must admit to a certain disappointment with regards to the overall ending. The wedding was sweet, but I wanted something more. Some sort of wrap up of the characters....how their lives may have continued....something.
joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire*
the plot of this series is definitely beginning to feel a little forced and rushed. odd, since there is plenty of room to spread out a bit, that too much seems to happen in the final 20 pages.
i'll still read book 4, with hopeful heart. ;)
Judith
Oct 21, 2008 Judith rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians
Recommended to Judith by: library
Continuing this Gresham series made interesting turns and twists. I'm looking forward to Book 4 that is just out but I'll wait until I can get it at the library.
A great christian book with many new lessons.
I learned never give up.
Mary
Finished the book today. A good one to curl up in a chair with a cup of hot tea and relax with all the good people in the town. Confession and redempsion is the focal point and well written. Last of a 3 book series.
Tara
Again Loved it! Blackwell has such a great style of storytelling. I love this time period too (late 1800's) and all of the rules of propriety and courtship.
Kati
Another in the Gresham series. I really feel as though I know these characters, and they are nice people to read about.
Crystal
I really liked this book. There were several plots going on, and each was done very well. The ending was extremely satisfying.
Lawana
Good book.....maybe not as good as Books 1 and 2 of the series but good. Now I want to read the 4th. book of the series.
Paula
Great clean book about relationships, spinsterhood, repentance, and forgiveness. I cried.
BlueJeansAndTeacups
ALL FOUR BOOKS IN THIS SERIES ARE REVIEWED HERE FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE

THE WIDOW OF LARKSPUR INN, The Gresham Chronicles Book #1
Lawana Blackwell
•°o•:*¨¨*:•. THESE PEOPLE BECAME FAMILY .•:*¨¨*:• o°•
Book one of The Gresham Chronicles is set in England/1860s. Julia Hollis has 3 children, servants and a grand home, and everything she needs until her husband suddenly passes away. She finds herself very suddenly deep in debt. She has days before the bank will throw her out and take everything. The only
Jan
Book 3 in the series, more characters introduced, more story lines to follow.

I like that the characters are imperfect and the message of understanding and forgiveness. It makes me smile when it is often stated that the lodging house is "non alcohol" but the cook uses lots of Marsla....do they not consider it wine?
Letia
I have fallen in love with the people of Gresham and have enjoyed being able to look into their lives. It was great to catch up with Mercy and Seth. I had loved everyone so much I was a bit reluctant to meet Lydia. However her story unfolded beautifully and culminated with a wonderful, touching conclusion of book 3. I have seen reviews of those not of faith criticizing these novels, however, as a Christian they resonate with my spirit and I appreciate Ms Blackwell letting us walk the faith journ ...more
L
Thoroughly enjoyed.

This is the third of 4 books in this series and they have all been a joy to read. The story line can be a bit predictable, however the story is entertaining. The writer makes you feel the story, as well as the period of time.
Carol
Once again a great book with fully developed characters and settings. Be sure to read the series from beginning as everything just works its way beautifully from one volume to the next.
I am definitely a Lawana Blackwell fan. Her books remind me of Julie Klassen's books. another great author.
Veronica
I would have liked this book better had it not been for a new character the author added, that although it showed how much a person can fall and grow, I hated this character's whole persona and what she brought to the book.
Still, we have an ending filled with hope and dreams and the story is still very light and lovely.
We learn about some of what happened to the minor characters of the other books, and other characters barely mentioned get more participation, so that was nice too.
This book has
Jenny Carr
Brilliant! I have been slowly savouring this series. I can get over the americanisms in the book, as the book is so captivating. She has introduced another new character here, and it adds to the interest of the book. OK, maybe some is a bit far fetched, but this is fiction, and I love the Christian vein throughout.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Dec 17, 2014 07:35AM
  • Whispers in the Wind (Wild West Wind #2)
  • Tomorrow's Treasure (East of the Sun #1)
  • In the Company of Secrets (Postcards from Pullman #1)
  • When Tomorrow Comes (Canadian West #6)
  • The Captive Heart (Daughters of Caleb Bender, #2)
  • Promised to Me (Coming to America #4)
  • The Solitary Envoy (Heirs of Acadia, #1)
  • A Hope Beyond (Ribbons of Steel, #2)
  • Song of My Heart (Heart of the Prairie #8)
  • Echoes (The Michelli Family Series #3)
  • The Hope Within (Heirs of Montana, #4)
Lawana Blackwell is a full-time writer with 10 published novels, including the bestselling Gresham Chronicles series. She and her husband have three grown sons and live in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
More about Lawana Blackwell...
The Widow of Larkspur Inn (Gresham Chronicles #1) The Courtship of the Vicar's Daughter (Gresham Chronicles #2) The Jewel of Gresham Green (Gresham Chronicles #4) The Maiden of Mayfair (Tales of London #1) Catherine's Heart (Tales of London #2)

“It was a family joke that Lydia's domestic tendencies were somehow misplaced when she was created.” 1 likes