Start by marking “Ben Hogan's Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf” as Want to Read:
Ben Hogan's Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf

Ben Hogan's Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf

4.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,939 Ratings  ·  103 Reviews
A timeless classic with nearly one million copies in print, Ben Hogan’s Five Lessons outlines the building blocks of winning golf from one of the all-time masters of the sport—fully illustrated with drawings and diagrams to improve your game instantly.

Ben Hogan, one of the greatest golfers in the history of the sport, believed that any golfer with average coordination can
Published January 1st 1990 by Pocket Books (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Ben Hogan's Five Lessons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ben Hogan's Five Lessons

My First Fun Golf Steps by Anna OthitisBen Hogan's Five Lessons by Ben HoganHarvey Penick's Little Red Book by Harvey PenickGolf Mind Play;outsmarting Your Brain to Play Your Best Golf by Tracy TresidderThe Match by Mark Frost
Great golf books
2nd out of 108 books — 55 voters
Ben Hogan's Five Lessons by Ben HoganGolf Mind Play;outsmarting Your Brain to Play Your Best Golf by Tracy TresidderDave Pelz's Short Game Bible by Dave PelzThe Plane Truth for Golfers by Jim HardyThe Laws of the Golf Swing by Mike Adams
Best Golf Instruction Books
1st out of 58 books — 25 voters

More lists with this book...

Eric
Nov 04, 2015 Eric rated it it was amazing
The best golf advice I've ever received was, "read this book." Hogan's lessons are timeless. They are delivered easily enough for any rookie or old-timer to utilize on every stroke. Each lesson builds on the previous one so that on each approach, you'll find yourself quickly going through each one. Read this book...it's way better than listening to "you lifted your head" for the rest of your life.
Mike
Aug 13, 2010 Mike rated it it was amazing
The techniques used in this book are almost universal. The first half to 2/3's of this 1957 book are in every golf instruction book. I've been playing golf for 30 years and I've been doing, or trying to do, almost everything is this book. Consequently, I easily adapted to a couple of Ben's moves and now I am ready for the Senior Tour.
Jim
Feb 19, 2011 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
In my list of gurus, Ben Hogan appears this year for the thoughts he has captured in this book. This book is a collection of five articles Hogan wrote on the "modern fundamentals" of golf for Sports Illustrated in the Fifties. In a way, you're glad he wrote it down, because you'd hate him to be a personal teacher. He comes across as not only a purist, but an absolute obsessive over the game. Control freak? Absolutely. Suffer (golf) fools gladly? Not for a second. Hogan admits this often as he wr ...more
Lisa
Mar 17, 2010 Lisa rated it it was amazing
This book helped me a LOT in learning to swing correctly. A perfect supplement to having a lesson from a golf pro (well, a few lessons!). Even helped my husband who has been golfing for years. There's always room for improvement.
Jared
Dec 25, 2015 Jared rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a terrible golfer, but this book made me feel like I don't have to be terrible. It turns out that I didn't know the fundamentals of the sport. I took a class in high school where we went to the driving range a couple times and got some instruction, I thought that was enough and all I needed to do now was practice. Turns out that was wrong. This book tells you how to golf. It's not going to tell you everything but it will get you started in a direction where you can get better.
Joseph Naus
Nov 27, 2014 Joseph Naus rated it it was amazing
Shelves: golf
listen to me and hear me now!

this is not just any golf book. this is THE golf book. ben hogan dedicated his life to golf and so this is as much a memoir as a mini-treaty on the swing. the artwork is masterful. the analysis of the golf swing is what the science of the full swing is based on sixty years later. it's a must have for so many reasons! it's short, concise and hogan writes the way he swings ... with absolute clarity and purpose.

and, if you think it's out of date .... google mr. jason
Jerry Gause
Jan 31, 2016 Jerry Gause rated it it was amazing
Excellent book on fundamentals of finding the ever allusive perfect golf swing (a new project for 2016). Details on the "Hogan" grip, stance and posture and the swing itself with over 50 well crafted drawings and diagrams. I expected instant gratification but now realize I will need time to fully incorporate this into my game (or not). So I've set some goals for this year - even if I fail I will be enjoy being outdoors. It's like learning to play the piano - takes dedication and regular practice ...more
Cody Powell
A book that teaches basic fundamentals for golf (results may vary). If you're looking for some different things to try with your golf swing this book is a good place to start, but I would advise that you don't live and die by these "rules". I've heard it said, and I would agree, this book can teach you about more than just golf. Almost everything that is written here can be extrapolated into a conversation about life. Some of the same fundamental principles Hogan talks about with golf can be app ...more
Abdelhamid Abdou
The golf swing broken into 4 fundamentals

This is an awesome book. Golf legend Ben Hogan covers the golf swing and break it down into 4 fundamentals: the grip, the stance, the backswing and the downswing. Each fundamental is discussed in good details in one chapter along with plenty of illustrations to make the steps easy to follow.

This is the book for every beginner who wants to learn the swing and every seasoned player whose wants to improve his game.
Clinton
Jan 10, 2014 Clinton rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports
Ben Hogan’s Five Lessons is an illustrative book that teaches the fundamentals of the golf swing including: the waggle, the address position, the grip, the stance, the backswing and forward swing, and the position of the ball at address. Although many philosophies of the golf swing exist, Ben Hogan’s swing is still praised as the most elegant and aesthetically perfect and copied still today by tour players. Ben Hogan is considered the father of the modern golf swing. Hogan’s Five Lessons is an e ...more
Adam Kadane
Oct 25, 2014 Adam Kadane rated it it was amazing
There is a sea of books out there about golf, but this one is unique because it was written by the great Hogan and is among the easiest to read and understand. If you are interested in learning how to play the game of golf or looking to improve, this is your book. When I can't seem to correct my swing, I always go back to the fundamentals in this book. I find my issue every time!
Ryan Gallagher
Feb 16, 2015 Ryan Gallagher rated it really liked it
Great instructional book on golf. Only loses a star due to writing style (too much emphasis using all caps, etc.) but still an easy read and very informative. I've previously read several golf books by famous players and coaches but recommend this as the first book to pick up when learning golf as it clearly lays out many important fundamentals. That said, I've been working on breaking 80 for the last few months and have found a solid fix for my falling towards the target line after my swing in ...more
David Ferrers
Jun 20, 2014 David Ferrers rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sport, influences
This book can make you a good golfer. Ben Hogan spent years on the practice ground learning how to hot good golf shots and studying how his body needed to move in order to hit long and straight. His successes as a player are testament to his mastery of the golf swing. The pictures and dialogue in this book are outstanding.
Evan
Jul 11, 2015 Evan rated it it was amazing
A top 5 all time. Beyond the classic character of the writing style, the ahead of its time illustrations, and the 1950s post-WW2 feel of the book (rugged individualism reborn), this is the greatest golf instruction book ever. If anyone wants to learn how to play, read this book. Highly recommended.
Dcnewman
May 15, 2015 Dcnewman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Straightforward and practical

Concise with appropriate repetition to reinforce the fundamentals of a repeatable golf swing. I stills hope and support for the average golfer. Need to follow the practice guidelines. Illustrations were very helpful. Clearly a keeper!
Dan Charnas
Feb 17, 2015 Dan Charnas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be extremely helpful. His approach to golf is logical, physiological, and at times technical, but his writing style is clear and concise.
I'd recommend it for beginners like myself and for advanced players who might benefit from a refresher on the basics.
Eric Villiers
Mar 23, 2016 Eric Villiers rated it really liked it
Extremely important and concise information on the perfect golf swing.

It tries to be instructional but it really won't cover most foibles a beginner will have, I see it more as a reference rather than a guide. Unfortunately, an incredibly boring read.
Phil Parker
Jan 27, 2016 Phil Parker rated it it was amazing
Great read for any golfer. I read this 25 years ago and didn't apply any of the principles after a multi year layoff from the game I am incorporating every lesson and it is making a tremendous difference in my game. This is the golfer's bible.
Sumiko
Aug 07, 2015 Sumiko rated it it was amazing
I'm a beginning golfer and I was getting frustrated because despite lessons, I was getting worse, not better. My swing felt unnatural and awkward. Reading Ben Hogan's book gave me the "a-ha" moment to turn it around. He explains the fundamentals in a way that is easy to understand and implement. The diagrams are well drawn and helpful.
William shi
Jan 27, 2015 William shi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
reading it! repeating again and again!

The spirit of golf! 2 things you need to do: 1. Reading the book as much as you can and as often as you can. 2. Practice again and again! You will enjoy it!
Brad Barkel
Mar 17, 2016 Brad Barkel rated it it was amazing
This is by far the best book on golf instruction out there. It's clearly written and the diagrams are a superb teaching aid. Practice these techniques and you will be way ahead of most people on the course.
Greg
Jan 05, 2015 Greg rated it it was amazing
Very good explanation of golfing basics. It was easy reading and provided good description (plus drawings) of the 5 lessons that Mr. Hogan provided. We will see how it works for me in the Spring.
Brandy
Jun 09, 2015 Brandy rated it it was amazing
Very instructive book. Along with illustrations demonstrating proper body alignment, Hogan ephasises why its important to learn proper muscle memory and tactile pressure.
Josh
Apr 19, 2015 Josh rated it really liked it
Haven't played a round since reading it, but I've been to the range a couple of times, and my control is MUCH improved. I'm excited to try it out with real golf.
Ruthye Kaplan
Jun 13, 2016 Ruthye Kaplan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Helped me!!

Hogan's simple approach changed my game. Only wish I read it when I first started playing! index now on its way down!!
Michael Roberts
May 20, 2016 Michael Roberts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

I started by following his instructions on a good grip and it has already changed my game. This is an excellent book.
Jamie Gulick
Sep 16, 2014 Jamie Gulick rated it it was amazing
I am a beginner, and this book improved my game. I learned very well through reading, and have tried several instructors and had less luck with lessons. This book will continue to be a great reference for me if I lose my way; and all for $10!
Brian
Aug 03, 2015 Brian added it
A true classic. The writing is so filled with heritage and class. And the instruction is simple and applicable.
T.J. Beitelman
Dec 19, 2011 T.J. Beitelman rated it it was amazing
The normal human body — e.g., Ben Hogan, arguably the most consistently pure striker of a golf ball who ever picked up sticks, was no taller than 5’9” and weighed 150 pounds soaking wet — can be trained with utter precision to perform a series of intricate, interconnected movements time and time again, under enormous pressure. How? The big muscles lead the small ones. It’s easier to coordinate the movements of your hips, back, and shoulders in a consistent, repeatable motion than it is to do the ...more
David
Oct 15, 2014 David rated it it was amazing
The standard for modern golf instruction books. this should
Be the first book in anyone's golf library.
Covers all of the Fundamentals of the Golf Swing 1 3 Jan 05, 2012 10:48AM
  • Harvey Penick's Little Red Book: Lessons and Teachings From a Lifetime of Golf
  • Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible: Master the Finesse Swing and Lower Your Score
  • Golf for Dummies
  • The Masters: Golf, Money, and Power in Augusta, Georgia
  • Dead Solid Perfect
  • Ben Hogan: An American Life
  • A Course Called Ireland: A Long Walk in Search of a Country, a Pint, and the Next Tee

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

“Up to a considerable point, as I see it, there’s nothing difficult about golf, nothing. I see no reason, truly, why the average golfer, if he goes about it intelligently, shouldn’t play in the 70s” 0 likes
“When a golfer has completed his left-hand grip, the V formed by the thumb and forefinger should point to his right eye.” 0 likes