Start by marking “D Is for Drum: A Native American Alphabet” as Want to Read:
D Is for Drum: A Native American Alphabet

D Is for Drum: A Native American Alphabet

Most primary schools mandate daily reading time. Is your classroom or media center equipped to handle the varied and growing needs of students from kindergarten through fifth grade?
Sleeping Bear Press titles deliver a variety of two-tiered text and grade-appropriate titles covering a wide array of cross-curricular and specialized subjects:
- Books covering animals, holiday
Published May 31st 2006 by Sleeping Bear Press

To ask other readers questions about D Is for Drum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about D Is for Drum

George's Secret Key to the Universe by Lucy HawkingThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankIf You Lived Here by Giles LarocheBalloons Over Broadway by Melissa SweetCastle by David Macaulay
Best Children's Nonfiction
27th out of 219 books — 84 voters
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakMadeline by Ludwig BemelmansThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales by Jon ScieszkaThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Favorite picture books
60th out of 340 books — 212 voters

More lists with this book...

Aimee
Nov 18, 2011 Aimee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A respectfully-done, well-written, thoroughly vetted book about various tribes throughout North America.
Danielle Witter
Dec 06, 2012 Danielle Witter rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books I've read this year! Although it is meant for K-5, it is still a great way to learn a few things about Native Americans.

Summary: This book talks about different things that start with each letter of the alphabet (A-Z), like a particular group of Natives or an animal. It also has some letters representing music, transportation, food or objects. For example, in the book the letter “N” was for names, and it had native names and what they translate to in English. So
Karissa
This alphabet book contains four line poems for each letter as well as a few paragraphs of detailed informational text on the side of the page. Each letter discusses an aspect of Native American culture. Oyate (a Native organization) put this book on their “Books to Avoid” list for containing a “mishmash of Indian cultural snippets” and “boring yet confusing ‘informational’ text” (www.oyate.com). I found this book intriguing and on the contrary, thought it did a good job of discussing different ...more
Falan Miller
This book was okay. It was about the native Americans and their life styles. The book went through the whole alphabet and describe different things that the indians did or used.

I was very creative and the pictures were very pretty. My favorite picture was the painting of the heard of stallions. The horses looked like they were jumping off the page.

YOu could use this book to help teach you class about the alphabet.
Monique
Jun 03, 2016 Monique rated it it was amazing
Outstanding illustrations
ReadingWench
This book was lurking in the non-fiction shelved of the children's section. I feel however that a copy should be put in the young adult area as well.

I call this a combination book. It has short poems for a 2nd or 3rd grader but has great history on native american tribes for the older child. This book would be a great asset for a kid doing a report on such a subject.

AR 7.1
Debbie
Feb 04, 2013 Debbie rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-recommended
As a Pueblo Indian woman, I immediately recognized that the people on the cover of this book are meant to be Pueblo Indians. The illustration, however, is an incorrect portrayal of how we do that particular dance. There are additional problems with this book...

Details here:
Keli Wright
Mar 09, 2008 Keli Wright rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyon
Recommended to Keli by: saw it at the thrift store.
I found this book at the thrift store. I love it, It has beautiful illustrations and goes through the alphabet in short poems then more informative longer but still concise explanations.
Leah
Jun 14, 2012 Leah rated it liked it
Used this book around Thanksgiving to teach my kids about Native American culture. Illustrations help with the understanding. Better for older kids.
Loren Toddy
Feb 24, 2009 Loren Toddy rated it really liked it
Awesome illustrations by a great illustrator! Great for kids.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Lang
Lang marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Manybooks
Manybooks marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Kadon Captain
Kadon Captain marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Teri
Teri rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2016
Liz Romanek
Liz Romanek rated it really liked it
May 19, 2016
Lindy-Lane
Lindy-Lane rated it liked it
May 22, 2016
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Sarah rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2016
Kaihiola
Kaihiola marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Megan
Megan rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2016
Raquel
Raquel added it
Jan 17, 2016
Robert Ellington
Robert Ellington marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Tobias
Tobias marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015