D Is for Drum: A Native American Alphabet

D Is for Drum: A Native American Alphabet

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Most primary schools mandate daily reading time. Is your classroom or media center equipped to handle the varied and growing needs of students from kindergarten through fifth grade?
Sleeping Bear Press titles deliver a variety of two-tiered text and grade-appropriate titles covering a wide array of cross-curricular and specialized subjects:
- Books covering animals, holiday...more
Published May 31st 2006 by Sleeping Bear Press

George's Secret Key to the Universe by Lucy HawkingIf You Lived Here by Giles LarocheBalloons Over Broadway by Melissa SweetChemistry by April Chloe TerrazasSnowflake Bentley by Jacqueline Briggs Martin
Best Children's Nonfiction
17th out of 165 books — 43 voters
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakMadeline by Ludwig BemelmansTurtle Wish by Murielle CyrThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Stinky Cheese Man by Jon Scieszka
Favorite picture books
43rd out of 209 books — 135 voters

More lists with this book...

Aimee
A respectfully-done, well-written, thoroughly vetted book about various tribes throughout North America.
Danielle Witter
This is one of my favorite books I've read this year! Although it is meant for K-5, it is still a great way to learn a few things about Native Americans.

Summary: This book talks about different things that start with each letter of the alphabet (A-Z), like a particular group of Natives or an animal. It also has some letters representing music, transportation, food or objects. For example, in the book the letter “N” was for names, and it had native names and what they translate to in English. So...more
Karissa
This alphabet book contains four line poems for each letter as well as a few paragraphs of detailed informational text on the side of the page. Each letter discusses an aspect of Native American culture. Oyate (a Native organization) put this book on their “Books to Avoid” list for containing a “mishmash of Indian cultural snippets” and “boring yet confusing ‘informational’ text” (www.oyate.com). I found this book intriguing and on the contrary, thought it did a good job of discussing different...more
ReadingWench
This book was lurking in the non-fiction shelved of the children's section. I feel however that a copy should be put in the young adult area as well.

I call this a combination book. It has short poems for a 2nd or 3rd grader but has great history on native american tribes for the older child. This book would be a great asset for a kid doing a report on such a subject.

AR 7.1
Debbie
As a Pueblo Indian woman, I immediately recognized that the people on the cover of this book are meant to be Pueblo Indians. The illustration, however, is an incorrect portrayal of how we do that particular dance. There are additional problems with this book...

Details here:
Keli Wright
Mar 09, 2008 Keli Wright rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyon
Recommended to Keli by: saw it at the thrift store.
I found this book at the thrift store. I love it, It has beautiful illustrations and goes through the alphabet in short poems then more informative longer but still concise explanations.
Leah
Used this book around Thanksgiving to teach my kids about Native American culture. Illustrations help with the understanding. Better for older kids.
Loren Toddy
Awesome illustrations by a great illustrator! Great for kids.
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Christie
Christie marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Trish
Trish marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Laura Moore
Laura Moore marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Chrissy
Chrissy marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2013
Nicki Marek
Nicki Marek marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2013
Shana
Shana added it
Nov 04, 2013
Margaret Lund
Margaret Lund marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2013
Candice Wilds
Candice Wilds marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2013
Ashanta
Ashanta marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2013
Debbie Sulaiman
Debbie Sulaiman marked it as to-read
May 29, 2013
Sara Walsh
Sara Walsh marked it as to-read
May 14, 2013
Ludy Rivera
Ludy Rivera marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2013
Sandra Edon
Sandra Edon marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Say Daddy! V is for Volunteer: A Tennessee Alphabet (Discover America State by State) Goodnight Baby Bear N Is for Natural State: An Ark M Is For Magnolia: A Mississippi Alphabet Book (Discover America State by State)