Start by marking “The Twelve Gifts Of Birth” as Want to Read:
The Twelve Gifts Of Birth

The Twelve Gifts Of Birth

This heart-warming book reveals what the fairy godmothers of long ago yearned to proclaim to all children, not just to the royal princes and princesses".
Published September 1st 1998 by Featherfew (first published January 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The Twelve Gifts Of Birth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twelve Gifts Of Birth

Adriana
Oct 25, 2012 Adriana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My mom got this for me when I was 12. At the time I was lonely, my one and only best friend had transferred schools and I could only see her on weekends. The peers at school weren't exactly mean, but I felt alienated nonetheless and with that feeling came a lack of self-worth. It was not a pleasant time for me and I experienced bouts of depression from time to time, especially when my differences seemed rather great from my classmates.

I didn't get this book fully at the time, but the more I read
Kimberly
Mar 06, 2010 Kimberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was given to me as a gift by Vicki when my daughter Lauren was born. I love this book! I used it for many projects with kids while I was running The Magic Wand, I have used it with my own kids creating Christmas gifts, and I have used it for many school projects. Every page in this book is a gift.
Lori
May 08, 2008 Lori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite baby shower gifts to send.
Each page has a special message for the child. When Lainey was a baby I read this to her every night before bed and it has her little hand prints on it still.
Jill
Mar 25, 2008 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My baby girl just turned one, and it's only going to be a matter of time when she's not a baby but a little girl. I don't think I'm alone when I say that as a parent, I often wonder how I'm going to raise a strong, self-assured, and happy child. It's a daunting and sometimes frightening task to achieve what with bullying, poor body image, young children developing eating disorders, and so much more I read about in the news. I also know that however hard I may try, I can't shield her from everyth ...more
Marissa
Sep 07, 2014 Marissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing book. Whether it's read by adults or read to children, it has the same powerful message. This book tell you about the 12 gifts everyone is given when they are born--strength, beauty, courage, compassion, hope, joy, talent, imagination, reverence, wisdom, love, and faith. The book emphasizes the importance of all of these gifts and why you should use them in your life. I like this book, because each age group with interpret it differently. To a new parent--it's about being the ...more
Katy
Dec 11, 2011 Katy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book aloud to a classroom of kids. A not-so-particularly-nice boy said, "It shows how special all of us are." He was the only child in the classroom who realized the theme, a child whose home was a car. I realized then I actually liked him, even when he was not so particularly nice.

Now I've reread the book as the birth of my first grandchild nears. I'm touched again by the dignity and the specialness of all children, and the fearsome responsibility of parents and the adults in
Carole Bartholomeaux
Oct 02, 2007 Carole Bartholomeaux rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone of all ages
When I first read this book, it had not yet been published. I laughed, I cried; I could not wait to give it to family and friends, men and women. It is so life affirming. One business acquaintance I showed it to, dismissed it but her husband picked it up and his eyes filled with tears. She smiled and said, "No one ever told him that they loved him when he was a child..." So here was this man in his 60's tearing up in his jewelry store because Charlene Costanzo told him through her wonderful litt ...more
Esther Gomez
Mar 18, 2008 Esther Gomez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Age Groups
Like a fingerprint etched upon my mind, each simply-stated gift, with its accompanying photo and illustration, inspires and reminds me to honor the human spirit. When I read The Twelve Gifts of Birth to our granddaughters, ages 6 and 11, they told me, in unison, “I loved it!” Thank you, Charlene Costanzo for your quiet guidance and for granting me the power to be…just me.
Chelsea Christophel
I would recommend this book to all parents and teachers. It is a beautiful story that can be read to children of any age and appreciated by all. The message of 12 gifts being given to every child when they are born shows the value of life and how special we all truly are. I think that this would be a great book to read to also speak out against bullying and promote self respect.
Nojood Alsudairi
Oct 17, 2008 Nojood Alsudairi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nojood by: Deb
Shelves: picture-books
A wondeful gift that was given to me by a dear friend (Deb) when my little one was born. "At the wonderous moment you were born, as you took your first breath, a great celebration was held in the heavens and twelve magnificent gifts were granted to you." The first of which was strngth.
Becky
May 13, 2011 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this book as a graduation gift for the teacher that taught me to read when I was falling so very far behind from all my classmates... I was in Grade 5 when I came to her and she changed my life... this book is perfect and I love the gifts it talks about and the gift it is to me!
Jade Ortiz
Jul 11, 2012 Jade Ortiz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adore this book and even as an adult it made me feel so special! I will admit it hit a tender part of my heart and I teared up! I can't wait to read it to my kiddos one day.
Patricia Brooks
Jan 11, 2011 Patricia Brooks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charlene has done it again with another beautiful gift book - and although I am not a mother I will surely pass this on as it is just as beautiful as her healing book.
Lauren
Feb 09, 2012 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So simple and loving.
Zuzana
Jul 22, 2008 Zuzana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Zuzana by: Dara
A-mazing!! Everyone should read this. :)
Melissa
Feb 14, 2008 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a must read for children and adults! It just sends a good message about the virtues we are all given when we are born.
Holly
Aug 28, 2007 Holly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Looking for a great baby shower gift? This is it.
Tawny
May 14, 2016 Tawny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
So sweet. A reminder to children of how precious they are.
Sara
Dec 29, 2008 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
children young and old deserve this book
Amy
I bought this for Willow and her mom. The pictures are lovely and the text is touching.
Marjorie Elwood
Illustrated such that a child can understand each gift and how it pertains to his/her life.
Kl
Jan 28, 2014 Kl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite books. Great inspiration for remembering to look at our gifts as well as those in others!
Lee
Jun 20, 2015 Lee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kind of a religious slant. Hence the name I guess, dur.
Darla
Nov 02, 2008 Darla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Darla by: Christmas present from mom
Shelves: i-own-this
Simply a very beautifully illustrated and written children's book.
Gerry
Sep 07, 2013 Gerry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful "gift book" that teaches children and reminds adults what is important in life. Its objective is to instill a sense of worth and dignity in all children.
Elaine J Taylor
Elaine J Taylor rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2014
Cathi
Cathi rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2017
Chrisann Justice
Chrisann Justice rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2014
Olivia
Olivia rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Rediscovering Birth
  • Brother Eagle, Sister Sky
  • Sleep, Baby, Sleep
  • Glasses for D.W. (Step-Into-Reading, Step 3)
  • Winter's Gift
  • What Do You Do With a Kangaroo?
  • Percy's Chocolate Crunch and Other Thomas the Tank Engine Stories (Thomas & Friends)
  • A First Book of Fairy Tales
  • Adventures in Natural Childbirth: Tales from Women on the Joys, Fears, Pleasures, and Pains of Giving Birth Naturally
  • Just in Case You Ever Wonder
  • The Night Before Easter
  • 10 Secrets Of Abundant Happiness
  • Old Turtle And The Broken Truth
  • Fancy Nancy and the Delectable Cupcakes
  • Welcome with Love
  • Peek-a-Zoo!
  • From Tadpole to Frog
  • How Do You Lift a Lion?
Charlene Gorda Costanzo is an award-winning author, workshop facilitator, wife, mother of two adult daughters, and grandmother of twins. She holds a B.A. in Philosophy from St. Bonaventure University and an M.A. in Spiritual Psychology from the University of Santa Monica.

Originally from New Jersey, she has resided in New York, Texas, Arizona, and Florida. During a one-year book tour to launch The
More about Charlene Costanzo...

“The first gift is Strength. May you remember to call upon it whenever you need it.” 16 likes
“The third gift is Courage. May you speak and act with confidence and use courage to follow your own path.” 6 likes