The Twelve Gifts Of Birth

The Twelve Gifts Of Birth

4.47 of 5 stars 4.47  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  25 reviews
This heart-warming book reveals what the fairy godmothers of long ago yearned to proclaim to all children, not just to the royal princes and princesses".
Published September 1st 1998 by Featherfew (first published January 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The Twelve Gifts Of Birth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twelve Gifts Of Birth

Adriana
My mom got this for me when I was 12. At the time I was lonely, my one and only best friend had transferred schools and I could only see her on weekends. The peers at school weren't exactly mean, but I felt alienated nonetheless and with that feeling came a lack of self-worth. It was not a pleasant time for me and I experienced bouts of depression from time to time, especially when my differences seemed rather great from my classmates.

I didn't get this book fully at the time, but the more I read...more
Kimberly
This book was given to me as a gift by Vicki when my daughter Lauren was born. I love this book! I used it for many projects with kids while I was running The Magic Wand, I have used it with my own kids creating Christmas gifts, and I have used it for many school projects. Every page in this book is a gift.
Lori
This is one of my favorite baby shower gifts to send.
Each page has a special message for the child. When Lainey was a baby I read this to her every night before bed and it has her little hand prints on it still.
Jill
My baby girl just turned one, and it's only going to be a matter of time when she's not a baby but a little girl. I don't think I'm alone when I say that as a parent, I often wonder how I'm going to raise a strong, self-assured, and happy child. It's a daunting and sometimes frightening task to achieve what with bullying, poor body image, young children developing eating disorders, and so much more I read about in the news. I also know that however hard I may try, I can't shield her from everyth...more
Carole Bartholomeaux
Oct 02, 2007 Carole Bartholomeaux rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone of all ages
When I first read this book, it had not yet been published. I laughed, I cried; I could not wait to give it to family and friends, men and women. It is so life affirming. One business acquaintance I showed it to, dismissed it but her husband picked it up and his eyes filled with tears. She smiled and said, "No one ever told him that they loved him when he was a child..." So here was this man in his 60's tearing up in his jewelry store because Charlene Costanzo told him through her wonderful litt...more
Katy
I first read this book aloud to a classroom of kids. A not-so-particularly-nice boy said, "It shows how special all of us are." He was the only child in the classroom who realized the theme, a child whose home was a car. I realized then I actually liked him, even when he was not so particularly nice.

Now I've reread the book as the birth of my first grandchild nears. I'm touched again by the dignity and the specialness of all children, and the fearsome responsibility of parents and the adults in...more
Kl
This is one of my favorite books. Great inspiration for remembering to look at our gifts as well as those in others!
Chelsea Christophel
I would recommend this book to all parents and teachers. It is a beautiful story that can be read to children of any age and appreciated by all. The message of 12 gifts being given to every child when they are born shows the value of life and how special we all truly are. I think that this would be a great book to read to also speak out against bullying and promote self respect.
Esther Gomez
Mar 19, 2008 Esther Gomez rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Age Groups
Like a fingerprint etched upon my mind, each simply-stated gift, with its accompanying photo and illustration, inspires and reminds me to honor the human spirit. When I read The Twelve Gifts of Birth to our granddaughters, ages 6 and 11, they told me, in unison, “I loved it!” Thank you, Charlene Costanzo for your quiet guidance and for granting me the power to be…just me.
Becky
I got this book as a graduation gift for the teacher that taught me to read when I was falling so very far behind from all my classmates... I was in Grade 5 when I came to her and she changed my life... this book is perfect and I love the gifts it talks about and the gift it is to me!
Nojood Alsudairi
Oct 17, 2008 Nojood Alsudairi rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nojood by: Deb
Shelves: picture-books
A wondeful gift that was given to me by a dear friend (Deb) when my little one was born. "At the wonderous moment you were born, as you took your first breath, a great celebration was held in the heavens and twelve magnificent gifts were granted to you." The first of which was strngth.
Jade Ortiz
I adore this book and even as an adult it made me feel so special! I will admit it hit a tender part of my heart and I teared up! I can't wait to read it to my kiddos one day.
Gerry Wyatt
This is a beautiful "gift book" that teaches children and reminds adults what is important in life. Its objective is to instill a sense of worth and dignity in all children.
Patricia Brooks
Charlene has done it again with another beautiful gift book - and although I am not a mother I will surely pass this on as it is just as beautiful as her healing book.
Melissa
This is a must read for children and adults! It just sends a good message about the virtues we are all given when we are born.
Amy
I bought this for Willow and her mom. The pictures are lovely and the text is touching.
Gina
Thank you Lori for this wonderful book. A true treasure of simple truth.
Sydney Walker
Beautiful message. Enjoyed reading with children about the 12 gifts!
Darla
Nov 02, 2008 Darla rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Darla by: Christmas present from mom
Shelves: i-own-this
Simply a very beautifully illustrated and written children's book.
Holly
Looking for a great baby shower gift? This is it.
Zuzana
Jul 22, 2008 Zuzana rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Zuzana by: Dara
A-mazing!! Everyone should read this. :)
Sara
children young and old deserve this book
Lauren
So simple and loving.
Andrea
Andrea added it
Aug 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Charlene Gorda Costanzo is an award-winning author, workshop facilitator, wife, mother of two adult daughters, and grandmother of twins. She holds a B.A. in Philosophy from St. Bonaventure University and an M.A. in Spiritual Psychology from the University of Santa Monica.

Originally from New Jersey, she has resided in New York, Texas, Arizona, and Florida. During a one-year book tour to launch The...more
More about Charlene Costanzo...
The Thirteenth Gift The Twelve Gifts for Healing The Twelve Gifts in Marriage Touchstones: Stories for Living the Twelve Gifts The Twelve Gifts of Birth

“The first gift is Strength. May you remember to call upon it whenever you need it.” 6 likes
“The ninth gift is Reverence. May you appreciate the wonder that you are and the miracle of all creation.” 4 likes