Start by marking “Baby-Sitting Is a Dangerous Job” as Want to Read:
Baby-Sitting Is a Dangerous Job

Baby-Sitting Is a Dangerous Job

From the moment she set eyes on the three Foster kids, Darcy knew being their baby-sitter would be no picnic. But the pay was twice her usual rate, and the job was only for a few hours a day - surely an experienced baby-sitter like her could handle it.

But Darcy hadn't counted on the mysterious things that started happening at the Fosters' home after she took the job. She d
Published February 1st 1996 by Aladdin Paperbacks (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Baby-Sitting Is a Dangerous Job, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baby-Sitting Is a Dangerous Job

Michelle
Mar 11, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it
I loved this book so. very. much when I was in late elementary school. I was obsessed with babysitting at that age (blame Ann M. Martin) and with child oriented kidnapping stories, so of course this was a perfect match for me. I haven't read it in perhaps ten years, but I'm thinking about tracking it down and reliving the nostalgia. To this day I can remember seemingly random portions of the book with much more detail than I can of things I read a year ago.
Emily
Sep 17, 2008 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
I still remember this book in detail even though I read it about 12 years ago! It's very suspenseful without being scary and the story is gripping.

Though written for children- teachers and parents certainly won't fall asleep while reading this one aloud.
Ashley
Jun 24, 2008 Ashley rated it liked it
I went through a phase where I loved all things Willo Davis Roberts, and this was one of my favorites! I spent so much time planning what I would do if I was ever kidnapped while baby sitting! I was totally prepared!
Tiff
This was a FAVORITE book of mine back in the day. I read it so many times (I tended to do that back then). I must find a copy and read it now, and probably laugh at it's 80tastic vibe.
Kelly
Aug 02, 2012 Kelly rated it really liked it
This was one of the books I read over and over again as a child. It holds up surprisingly well!
Mar 24, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it
When I was in the fourth and fifth grades, Willo Davis Roberts was the author, probably even more so than Judy Blume. The school librarian could not keep her books on the shelf. As a young baby-sitter myself this was the one I was most eager to read. Deliciously creepy and suspenseful, I found it great fun to read this in bed, throwing the covers over my head, heart pounding at the particularly thrilling parts. I am so pleased her books are back in print. Pick up this spine-tingling thriller if ...more
Foggygirl
Mar 23, 2011 Foggygirl rated it it was amazing
I still have this book on my bookshelf.
Feb 22, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
My favorite pre-teen suspense book. I imagined myself as this character and fantasized about escaping from being kidnapped!
Ash
Oct 02, 2009 Ash added it
Shelves: childrens-and-ya
Read a long time ago, I think in Middle School.
Katelin
Aug 20, 2011 Katelin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this in the elementary school library, and I think I read it twice. I really enjoyed it.
Melissa
Jun 14, 2007 Melissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-adult
Another book I probably shouldn't have read. It's not a preparatory manual on how to escape a kidnapping, yet I treated it as such.
Feb 02, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite books as a child and my students seem to enjoy it too!
Randy
Mar 31, 2014 Randy rated it really liked it
Baby-Sitting Is a Dangerous Job is a great suspenseful story about 14 year old or 13 1/2 baby sitter named Darcy who wanted a babysitting job and ended up baby sitting the Foster kids who were named, Jeremy, Melissa and Shana. After the second day of sitting they all end up getting kidnapped by three men. The men take them to a cabin miles away from any neighbors, and in the cabin there were two Doberman dogs watching the kids making sure they did not escape. The kidnappers wanted a ransom from ...more
Aurora
Aug 03, 2014 Aurora rated it really liked it
Check out my blog at www.buzzonbooks.com

I remember finding this book at a school book fair years ago and it caught my attention the moment I saw it. I was so excited to start this book (it was the first book I had ever picked out on my own)! I wanted to be responsible and get treated like an adult (who would have thought now I’d be wanting to go back) and babysitting was the first step to that process. However, what happens in this book I would never be prepared for even now as an adult.
Darcy is
Duffy Pratt
Feb 26, 2013 Duffy Pratt rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens, mystery
This is a very slight book about a baby-sitter who gets kidnapped along with her charges. The premise could be terrifying, but the execution comes off as a bit bland. The villains are a father and his two sons. The father is mean, and a child beater. One of his sons is cruel and greedy. The other is kind-hearted and dim. They are hapless kidnappers, and the wonder of the book is that they managed to keep the kids imprisoned long enough to collect the ransom.

The babysitter is also a bit dim-witte
Laina SpareTime
Jul 03, 2015 Laina SpareTime rated it liked it
Shelves: own
I recently talked about a Willo Davis Roberts book I reread and really enjoyed, and I don't think this one has aged quite as well. Like, Darcy's family doesn't have a microwave, and there's no particular reason for that. That made me giggle a little. One thing that didn't have me laughing was the child abuse plotline. Not of Darcy's charges, but of another girl. Darcy mentions that Dr. Foster, the childrens' mother, doesn't believe in corporal punishment, preferring psychology. She then says, "M ...more
Roslyn
May 12, 2014 Roslyn rated it really liked it
This book is about a girl who got a job as a baby-sitter. She has to take care of three bratty kids , but that is the least of her problems. She finds out that people are trying to get into the house. When the burglars get in the house they rob them and kidnap them. The get locked into a room and try to come up with a way that they can escape. Will they get out on there own? Will the a parents of the three kids find them, and save them? Read this book to find out.

I really liked this book. I li
Raven
Aug 09, 2012 Raven rated it it was amazing
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS BOOK!!! I was going through a tough time and poured myself into books and this one helped me escape from reality for a little while...to this day I remember bits and pieces of it, I could have sworn there were two books that I read with similar situations and one of them had to do with a runaway girl who's family kidnapped the girl and the kids she was babysitting but then I came across a quiz based on the book and found out it was all in one book. So gonna buy the book. ( ...more
Elise Wyma
Jan 14, 2015 Elise Wyma rated it it was amazing
Baby-sitting is a dangerous job is by Will Davis Roberts. Its about a girl named Darcy who starts baby-sitting for this rich family. The kids are total brats, but she really wants the money. As she wanders around town, she is constantly seeing this black car thats following her. One day when she is baby-sitting, the four of them get kidnapped, and taken to a big house in the middle of the woods. Will they escape? I give the book five stars. I read it, and I couldn't put the book down. Its a leve ...more
Jocelyn Gelabert
May 20, 2016 Jocelyn Gelabert rated it it was amazing
Ahh another one of my favorites! I'm lucky to own this book! I never realized that will Davis Roberts wrote some of my favorite books until goodreads. Just saying.
This book is just fantastic! All I have ever done is babysit and this highlights my fear as a child but it is so fantastically written that it always made me feel better haha. Weird?
A super great young adult book that shows so many different issues with society. I love to and would recommend this to the fullest! Worth the hunt for su
Ali
Jan 29, 2013 Ali rated it really liked it
I remember finding this book at a book fair in school and being so excited to start reading it. This book was the inspiration for me to start baby-sitting. I wanted to be responsible and get treated like an adult (who would have thought now I'd be wanting to go back). This poor girl is put through a nightmare and when you add the responsibility of children it can only make things worse. An easy but addicting read for sure.
Christian Singer
Dec 09, 2013 Christian Singer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the kind of story that scares parents. Have they done enough to teach their children how to protect themselves in dangerous situations? Though Darcy is scared, she makes some level-headed decisions in a dangerous situation. This is a good learning tool for kids in case they ever find themselves in a scary situation. This is a must-read for all ages.
Selah (abibliophilesstyle)
I first read this book after seeing it on Books From Cover to Cover (does anyone else remember that show?). It's not a great book but it was fun to revisit a book from my childhood. I had forgotten a lot of the plot but I remembered some of the details, like Irene's yellow shirt and the melted plastic plate.
Pedro Perez
May 13, 2011 Pedro Perez rated it liked it
A babysitter is hired to babysit 3 children she finds out later that someone is trying to break in. The get taken hostage and are in a house locked in a room. They make a plan to escape and they successfully make it out alive.
Kalyn Lafrance
Sep 16, 2010 Kalyn Lafrance rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it was a really good interesting book. i really liked it. and i also love mysterys.
Reese Lee
Dec 12, 2015 Reese Lee rated it it was amazing
I love Love love love love this book I have probably read it like 12 times! soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good
Brittany
Everytime you turn around something exciting happens!

Smudge
Jul 14, 2008 Smudge rated it liked it
Good book. Bit freaky.
Stephanie
Mar 27, 2011 Stephanie rated it really liked it
I read this to my class of 3rd grade students and they enjoyed it. I read this book when I was young and liked it, and it remains a decent read as an adult.
Logan Lee
May 29, 2016 Logan Lee rated it it was amazing
I read this book in third grade,then fourth,then fifth,and so on.It's captivating and I 10/10 recommend it.
  • The Against Taffy Sinclair Club (Taffy Sinclair, #1)
  • The Haunting of Grade Three
  • The Facts and Fictions of Minna Pratt
  • Curtains
  • Taking Terri Mueller
  • The Seventh Princess
  • Something Queer is Going On (Something Queer Mysteries, #1)
  • Who Really Killed Cock Robin? (Eco Mysteries)
  • The Hot and Cold Summer
  • Snow (Losing Christina, #2)
  • Long Live the Queen (The President's Daughter, #3)
  • Striped Ice Cream
  • The Kid in the Red Jacket
  • Blackwater
Willo Davis Roberts was an American writer chiefly known for her mystery novels for children and young adults. She won Edgar Allan Poe awards in 1989, 1995, and 1997 for best juvenile and best young adult mysteries. Her books included The View from the Cherry Tree, Twisted Summer, Don't Hurt Laurie, Megan's Island, Baby-sitting is a Dangerous Job, Hostage, The Girl with Silver Eyes, The One Left B ...more
More about Willo Davis Roberts...