Start by marking “The Borrowers Afloat (The Borrowers #3)” as Want to Read:
The Borrowers Afloat (The Borrowers #3)

The Borrowers Afloat (The Borrowers #3)

4.04  ·  Rating Details ·  5,442 Ratings  ·  91 Reviews
Uprooted once again, the little people journey down a drain, live briefly in a teakettle, and are swept away in a flood. “As irresistible as its predecessors.”--Booklist
Published March 15th 1990 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about The Borrowers Afloat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Borrowers Afloat

Rainbow
Jun 02, 2011 Rainbow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So the Borrowers continue to dominate our bedtime routine. And I continue to be shocked by how much my kids get out of these books, despite the antiquated language and bizarre plots. They're transfixed by the very idea of the Borrowers, and I have to think that they're appreciating Mary Norton's writing, which occasionally verges on poetry.

In this installment, the Borrowers move in with relatives who don't want them, move on when there isn't enough food, and spend much of the book floating down
Melody
Aug 11, 2009 Melody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Installment #3 of the Borrowers saga was, for my money, the strongest. Spiller comes into his own here, and he's quite the taciturn but romantic hero. Arrietty may possibly learn a thing or two in this novel,though it's arguable, as she continues with the talking to humans at every opportunity. Pod's a resourceful if staid old gentleman. Homily drives me mad with her panics and her flighty girly taking on.
Jo Woolfardis
The third in The Borrowers series of books, The Borrowers Afloat sees Pod, Homily and Arrietty living in blighted conditions with their relatives in a run-down cottage that is soon to be left empty because Tom, Arrietty's Human friend, is going to live with his uncle. The Borrower family then make the decision to set out for the much-spoken of Little Fordham, a model village that lies at the end of a dangerous river. With the help of Spiller and his broken kettle, the Borrowers flee their weasel ...more
Judy
Oct 29, 2011 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

In the third book of The Borrowers series, the family takes to the water. At the end of The Borrowers Afield, Pod, Homily, and their daughter Arrietty finally arrived at the cottage where Uncle Hendreary and his family lived. Their dwelling was between the walls behind the fireplace in the cottage of the gamekeeper for the Big House.

Initially they were all relieved to have found shelter and safety, but in this story it soon became apparent that being dependent on relatives and in very cramped qu
Dusty
And now -- my annual relaxing dip into The Borrowers series. Rereading the books now, as an adult living with an infant to whom I may someday read them, I do understand why they're no longer popular with youthful folk. For one, compared to your best-selling teenage fantasy series about wizards, vampire lovers, and the zombie apocalypse, they're rather boring. I mean, the book is essentially a comedy of the manners of the pint-sized bourgeoisie. For another, the characters are so fussy. Fortunate ...more
Lauraloves
I am currently working my way through the whole series of The Borrowers and this is the third out of five books. In this book Arrietty and her family are living with Aunt Lupy and her family in a gamekeepers cottage. However the family dont really like this arrangement and then the humans decide to move out so it could be fatal for all the borrowers with all those mouths to feed. So the three borrowers leave in the middle of the night with there friend Spiller who always turns up at the right mo ...more
Nikki
Aug 26, 2010 Nikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing much really happens in this instalment: having found the Hendrearies, they more or less have to turn around and leave again. Having done that, they decide to go to a mythical (to Borrowers) model village, where they'll be safe. A sort of paradise, for them. And while they wait for Spiller to take them there, they get carried off in the current, in his kettle-home, and have a run in with an old enemy.

Definitely not my favourite of the series. Arriety doesn't do much, and we see little of
Hailey Bug
Nov 06, 2013 Hailey Bug rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The borrowers Afloat is a book written by, Mary Norton. This book is about a family that that is little. Each person in this family is smaller than your pinky. They set off on a journey to find a new home. After being seen by humans they had to find a new home. Many adventurous things happened as they were traveling.

I liked this book because it was interesting. You should read this book because it is exciting and adventurous. It takes your mind to new places. If you were one of the borrowers yo
Indah W
Okayy.. waktunya membaca buku ke-3 dari seri The Borrowers, sebenernya udah rada2 lupa sih, haha.. karena gua bacanya seri ke-2 dulu terus buku pertama baru sekarang baca yang ke-3.

Mudah2an ceritanya masih bagus ;) I'll update later when I have finished reading the book :D
Filippa
I didn't enjoy The Borrowers Afloat as much as the earlier two, probably because Arrietty wasn't as active and creative as in the two first parts. I still enjoy Mary Nortons writing a lot though and I'm looking forward to part four.
Shala Howell
What the Five-Year-Old thought: "I liked that they were floating in a kettle for a little bit, and that the gypsy got caught."
Weston
Jun 09, 2015 Weston rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Caterpickles
What The Five-Year-Old Thought:
“I liked that they were floating in a kettle for a little bit, and that the gypsy got caught.”
Jami
Feb 24, 2017 Jami rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
The third installment in the Borrowers is a travel novel, following as they search for a new home. The adventures are too few and far between. My kids got bored with it.
Valerie
The summary for this book is inaccurate (for one thing, the 'Gypsy' villain is named MILD Eye, not 'Milk Eye'.

It is, however, correct to identify this as the third book in the Borrowers series (First was The Borrowers, second The Borrowers Afield. Then this book, and next The Borrowers Aloft.)

This is the Odyssey/Harcourt Young Readers version, a trade paperback, first published in 1998. The first edition of the title was published in 1959. This edition is illustrated by Beth and Joe Krush.

This
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
I was right...Ms Norton fell into the trap of old-fashioned "serial fiction" when she wrote The Borrowers. This third volume is very much a transitional episode, which begins with a rehash of the last chapter of Volume Two...well I say "rehash"--today we would call it "cut and paste." Which profoundly annoyed me! It's bad enough to consistently leave the readers hanging at the end of every volume (I cannot say "book"), but to start by filling a few pages with the previous "ending" is just poor w ...more
Karen Field
Jan 28, 2013 Karen Field rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book in the series. The biggest let down was that the beginning of the second chapter was almost word for word of the last chapter of the previous book. I found it distracting and a bit annoying...and even alarming, to some degree, as I don’t agree that an author should do this. It’s fine to ‘remind’ the reader of what’s gone before, but to literally copy and paste such a large section of text is not acceptable (in my opinion). However, once I got passed that bit I was happy to ...more
Ann Moody
Jul 25, 2014 Ann Moody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ar-tests-done
We were introduced to Arrietty several years ago through the exceptional anime film, so when I happened upon an old copy of this third book in the series, we decided to give it a try.

My ten year old "readee" enjoyed hearing this as a bedtime story over a couple of weeks, staying engaged, relating to the characters, asking questions about their circumstances. The idea of these Barbie-sized people trying to live secretly off of our discards is sheer brilliance and irresistible to a child.

As anoth
Phillip
Mar 02, 2012 Phillip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's no place like home, unless it is someone else's home. Of course, other people's homes are a borrower’s normal habitat, but when it is necessary to move in with other borrowers, though they be relatives, even the most congenial of situations can lead to strained relations.

What is remarkable about the borrower books is how true Mary Norton keeps to her characters whether she they are in the midst of socially awkward situations, or are caught up in the ferocity of nature, or are in danger
Yellowoasis
Nov 27, 2010 Yellowoasis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I bought this and Aloft in an op shop in Opunake, Taranaki. When you're on holiday, and away from the things that comfort you, finding an old friend like a favourite book can be very satisfying. We went back to the motel and I had a bubble bath and a good read, listening to the blackbird next door singing out the day. I wouldn't swap that sort of experience with all the money in the world.
What a lovely book, I'd forgotten how much I love The Borrowers. The language is just delightful. There's a
Sahil Qaiser
Dec 15, 2012 Sahil Qaiser rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Was A Little Bit Dull In Comparison To Other Borrowers Books (1, 2).
But still Imagination Of Mary Norton Is Very Much Praisable... I Think ""She Herself Becomes A Borrower When It Comes To Write The Series""..
Well, There Wasn't Much Of Arriety's role In This Part. But Spiller Is Showing Some Progress.. Homily, Pod And Arriety are Now Liking Spiller Very Much .. And They Feel Much Secure When He's Around.. Spiller Is Helping Them.. He Gave Them The Kettle to live in after they left Heandrie
Kelsey Lane
I read the first book of this series as a child and watched the movie. The movie is a completely different from the movie, but understanbly because the movie is all the books summarized. I found the box set in my old belongings at my grandma's and thought I'd give them another read as an easy read in between rereading GOT, but I was pleasantly surprised. Although a children's book, it is a good, enjoyable read! :)
Julianna
Mar 25, 2013 Julianna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I've loved The Borrowers books since I was little, but I'd put off reading past the first two books in the series in case the later books lacked the magic of the earlier ones. It turns out that was a wise decision after all. Things happen in this book that are just too silly and Too Much. It totally lacks the slight darkness of the first book. I'm going to go back to pretending the series ends after The Borrowers Afield.
Shaalini
I read a book called the borrowers afloat by Mary by Norton. This book is about borrowers are tiny people who borrow from human beans to survive. The clock family of Pod homily and Arrietty want to find an mythical tiny villiage place where they could live. Suddenly, there was a flood pass by and wash them away. I've really like this book because its fun entertaining to read this book and I recommend to 6th and 7th graders who like to read this book.
Chris
Jan 08, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was very enjoyable, very fast-paced and very easy to read children's fantasy novel sequel. It had really well-drawn illustrations, great characters, really exciting adventure, and a really fast-paced story. This is the most exciting "The Borrowers" book I've ever read in my whole life. I'm looking forward to read "The Borrowers Aloft" and "The Borrowers Avenged." I really recommend this book to both children and adults.
Janeen-san
Very cute. I liked what I read in the beginning; it was unclear whether Mrs. May (I think that was her name) completely believed in the Borrowers or not, and that was part of the mystery of the beginning. I got to the part when Arriety, Pod and Homily move in with their cousins (?). I was surprised that the point of view character was Homily, I was expecting Arriety to be the main character. This book would have surly delighted every bone in my body, had I been younger.
Moop
Jan 04, 2013 Moop rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
Interesting book written in 1955 so some very old words that I'm not sure my third graders would understand. The story is about some very tiny people ( mouse like) live in people's homes and borrow different items to survive. In this story they had to leave their current home and left via the sewer us a knife box as a boat. Maybe some kids woul like it but I Found it very slow. It's creative in the things the little people use for their daily life but that was about it for me!
Jael
I always thought it was a tad bizarre that this book basically repeated so much of the end of the second book. All of them repeat information, so that anyone picking up any of the books can easily follow the story - but practically word-for-word reusing a chapter from the last book? Bizarre.

This book always seemed really short to me, perhaps because of the repetition. It is amazing how she made a whole book out of so few events and yet managed to keep it moving and interesting.
Morgan
Jun 26, 2013 Morgan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This book is a little slower then the first two books. Like other have said, this one doesn't have much going on. It gets better in my opinion towards the end. However, I still love the fact that the Clock family is the main character rather then the daughter alone. Makes these stories worth the read. Also wondering if these books have anything to do with the elements. The first being fire, second earth, third water, forth air, and last not sure yet. That only my guess though.
Christy Reed
Dec 07, 2014 Christy Reed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with the first two, this book was again very light-hearted, very easy to read, and yet still interesting. This book talks about their lives in the game warden's house living with Homily's brother's family, and the difficulties they run into there as they keep searching for a new home. Another story I'd recommend if you want to do some light reading.
  • Mary Poppins Opens the Door (Mary Poppins, #3)
  • The Rescuers (The Rescuers, #1)
  • Paddington at Large (Paddington, #5)
  • Pippi Goes on Board
  • Magic by the Lake (Tales of Magic, #3)
  • The Wouldbegoods (Bastable Children, #2)
  • Tree House Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #14)
  • The Return of the Twelves
  • Henry and the Clubhouse (Henry, #5)
  • Missee Lee (Swallows and Amazons, #10)
  • The Dolls' House
  • Mr. Funny (Mr. Men, #18)
  • Treasure of Green Knowe (Green Knowe, #2)
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Farm (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #3)
Mary Norton (née Pearson) was an English children's author. She was the daughter of a physician, and was raised in a Georgian house at the end of the High Street in Leighton Buzzard. The house now consists of part of Leighton Middle School, known within the school as The Old House, and was reportedly the setting of her novel The Borrowers. She married Robert C. Norton in 1927 and had four children ...more
More about Mary Norton...

The Borrowers (6 books)
  • The Borrowers (The Borrowers, #1)
  • The Borrowers Afield (The Borrowers #2)
  • The Borrowers Aloft (The Borrowers #4)
  • The Borrowers Aloft: With the Short Tale Poor Stainless
  • The Borrowers Avenged (The Borrowers #5)