Start by marking “By Searching: My Journey Through Doubt Into Faith” as Want to Read:
By Searching: My Journey Through Doubt Into Faith

By Searching: My Journey Through Doubt Into Faith

4.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  633 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Isobel Miller gave up God for worldly pursuits. But as graduation approached and her engagement was broken, she questioned that decision. ‘If You will prove to me that You are, and if You will give me peace, I will give You my whole life.’ God heard Isobel's prayers and responded. He reached out to her, ending years of searching, and building her up for decades of fruitful ...more
Published October 20th 1959 by Moody Publishers (first published January 1st 1959)

To ask other readers questions about By Searching, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By Searching

The Hiding Place by Corrie ten BoomGod's Smuggler by Brother AndrewBruchko by Bruce OlsonSon of Hamas by Mosab Hassan YousefLiving on the Devil's Doorstep by Floyd McClung
Salvation Biographies
51st out of 112 books — 20 voters
Do Hard Things by Alex  HarrisI Kissed Dating Goodbye by Joshua HarrisBefore You Meet Prince Charming by Sarah MallyRedeeming Love by Francine RiversEdna in the Desert by Maddy Lederman
YA Female Christian
83rd out of 95 books — 50 voters

More lists with this book...

Go2therock
Jan 04, 2010 Go2therock rated it it was amazing
It is amazing how the Lord intersects various conversations, events, radio programs, thoughts, and books, like puzzle pieces to speak into my life. Over and over again, He shows His intimate care and concern for my heart and its affairs, those things close to me.

This book is for college students, their parents, and anyone who can relate to a struggle to live without submission and a walk of consecration to Christ. Although written in the setting of the 1920's, most of what is found here is of a
Kerry Nietz
Feb 07, 2010 Kerry Nietz rated it really liked it
Though this book is sub-titled "My Journey Through Doubt Into Faith" only a small portion of the book deals with Isobel's time as a doubter. What this book chiefly illustrates is Isobel's growing faith--the small tests and experiences that led her from an infant faith to a steady faith. The kind of faith necessary to move her from the comforts of America to the mission field in China. Today's readers might find some of the subjects discussed quaint--the length of hemlines, for instance--but ther ...more
Lydia
Feb 16, 2016 Lydia rated it it was amazing
I loved the gentle conversational style of this book. It made me feel like I was sitting at my Grandma's feet hearing her testimony. This book had some really good and really unusual points. Definitely a keeper! I'd highly recommend it to anyone.
Melissa
Peyton
Jan 08, 2016 Peyton rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book!!!! I could not put it down!
Joan
Nov 27, 2007 Joan rated it it was amazing
I have read several books about missionaries who have devoted their lives to spreading the message of Jesus Christ in China. This book deals with Isobel Kuhn "pre-China" years. I found it very interesting and I personally loved it. It might not appeal to everyone but I gleaned a lot from it. It is set in the early 1920's. Some things have changed, but other things, such as the power of God in transforming lives, have not.
Brian Williams
Aug 21, 2013 Brian Williams rated it it was amazing
Another classic by Isobel Kuhn. God did miracle after miracle in her life as a missionary in China. Before her time as a missionary though, God had to show young Isobel that He is real and desires to use willing vessels who are fully yielded to Him. He removed all doubt from her mind through numerous manifestations in her life. Read this book and be encouraged to trust God for miracles. He delights in removing all your doubt.
Lydia
May 06, 2009 Lydia rated it it was amazing
Mrs. Kuhn's simple and friendly style carries some massive truths. Her journey from a Christian home to university agnosticism to faith in Christ to the mission field is very encouraging.
Stephanie Ou
Jan 24, 2016 Stephanie Ou rated it really liked it
A book clearly written in the 1950s, but nonetheless still relevant to the present. This book follows Isobel Kuhn's walk, search, and struggle with God. At distinct instances of her life, she relies on God's grace to get by, live, and grow.

What particularly touched me was the end of the book about a woman she grew to know who underwent living in an asylum. This part of the book also alludes to the idea that those in the mental health system are demon-possessed. This thought troubles me, and mak
Robin
Jun 02, 2009 Robin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, religious
I find myself coming back to this book time and again as I reach a different level of maturity -- this, and Kuhn's In the Arena.
Lisa Jacobson
Feb 05, 2013 Lisa Jacobson rated it really liked it
I'm going to recommend this one to my daughters...who are growing up quickly. Inspiring for all, but maybe particularly for young women?
Noai Leidenfrost
Mar 02, 2011 Noai Leidenfrost rated it it was amazing
Great book! Isobel Kuhn is an astounding woman of faith. encouraging to see how God works through prayer
Victoria
Oct 15, 2014 Victoria rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, book-list-2014
Darlene suggested this little book to me last week at Music Camp. I'm adding it to my fall reading list! //

Well...It's October now and I've just finished reading it! I expected this to be a book about missionary life in China, but it turns out it was about the years that led up to Kuhn's missionary days. It's set in the 1920's. We follow Kuhn through her late teens and into her 20's as she finds herself searching. I loved the perspective that she had to offer. This is the second book that I've r
Heather
Jun 01, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it
One of my favorite missionary biographies!
Ashley
Jun 29, 2014 Ashley rated it liked it
Although I enjoyed this book, being a young person of today I could barely relate to Kuhn when she talked about returning to her faith. What I could relate to were her distractions from God (a previous boyfriend, her love of romance fiction). However, I wished for a little more exploration of her doubts, particularly being a university student, but this section of the book was read and gone in a few short chapters. Perhaps because of the time period, returning to faith was easier for her then, t ...more
Christa Harrison
Mar 02, 2014 Christa Harrison rated it really liked it
This book was such an encouragement. Given to me by a woman in my church, I am so thankful to have read it. An amazing look at the life of Isobel Kuhn and how By Searching she found her Savior even when she was so far away from him. After choosing Christ, you see the amazing transformation and the amazing ways God proved faithful as she shared the gospel.
Lynnda Ell
Mar 02, 2010 Lynnda Ell rated it it was amazing
Isobel Miller Kuhn was born about the turn of the last century. By Searching recounts the first steps of her adult life in college from the "faith of her fathers" through the "Misty Flats" of doubt. Her struggles and wanderings were constrained by the prayers of family members and friends until she could be led by God to walk on the High Way.

The story of her trip of preparation to be a missionary, wife, and mother in China for the next quarter of a century is amazing. Take a trip on a time mach
Denise Meyer
Jun 30, 2014 Denise Meyer rated it really liked it
Fairly fast-paced. Focusing on her pursuit of Christ. Inspiring to see & act on the fact that "this world has nothing for me...all that I could want and nothing that I need." Christ fills us.
Joshua Wong
Nov 16, 2014 Joshua Wong rated it it was amazing
Positive and full of wonderful spiritual lessons. Isobel Kuhn's writing style flows spontaneously and it was an easy read. Definitely uplifting testimony!
Dee
Apr 23, 2014 Dee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two-haiku review:

She's searching for God
College age, loses her faith
Then finds it again

Missionary goal
Autobiographical
Interesting book
Kevin
Apr 22, 2014 Kevin rated it it was ok
Read for school. I remember not liking it. I'm thinking about trying it again, though, after reading the description.
Teresa Rust
Apr 29, 2014 Teresa Rust rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this years ago when I was obsessed with missionary stories and biographies.
Jaysah
Mar 23, 2014 Jaysah rated it it was amazing
it is very inspiring :)
Mar 13, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend this book.

Told through the eyes as a nonbeliever, doubter, and finally a faithful servant, this book is relatable and an encouraging book that helps us remember we're never alone and God has our back.

A true story, this book was hard to put down, was thought-provoking and incredibly amazing. A hint of romance (and when I say a hint, I mean it) and christian genre, this book is my cup of tea.

Really helpful book that will always be a favourite of mine.
Yibbie
Feb 07, 2016 Yibbie rated it really liked it
Isobel Kuhn has the wonderful story of a life finally yielded to God. Not that she was perfect, but she found that for a Christian submission to God is the only way to have peace. God never quit calling her to himself.
Do you double God or His existence? So did she, and after a period of rebellion found that He was true and caring.
It is an excellent read.Light, encouraging, it is a very personal narrative.
Emily Good
This is now one of my favourite autobiographies. In a honest yet humble way, Isobel Kuhn shares some of her struggles as a young adult and how she came to know the Lord as her Saviour. It was a really marvelous yet challenging testimony of how the Lord can help us to come to know and love Him if we will only search for Him. This is one that I will certianly be recommending to any friends!
Dani
Sep 24, 2013 Dani rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Isobel's books were recommended to me by a dear older saint and I have not been disappointed! This book was an easy read, that was also challenging and convicting. Even though I am not in agreement with everything that she writes, each of her books that I have read so far I have left me with at least one solid nugget of truth that I have held onto and that has transformed my life!
Natalie Wickham
Oct 29, 2009 Natalie Wickham rated it it was amazing
A first-hand account of her own life, from a state of unbelief and worldly living to a life whole-heartedly committed to God. I was inspired by Isobel’s disciplined living. She shares of how she made a commitment to spend one hour in quite time with the Lord daily and willingly sacrificed sleep or food or other enjoyments to fulfill this commitment.
Alaina Mills
Apr 23, 2016 Alaina Mills rated it really liked it
Deeply inspiring, encouraging and challenging to read about the early life of a as soon-to-be-missionary through the eyes of the missionary herself. She shares age old lessons of faith and trials, and I have already applied some of her words to my life.
Lauren
Dec 08, 2015 Lauren rated it it was amazing
To be honest this was a book I had to read for school. At first i didn't think I would like it. But as I started reading it I really liked it. It is a real look at a like of faith , as well as doubt. It was beautifully written. The author also offers insight in to coming back to Christ after a season of doubt.
  • C. T. Studd, Cricketer and Pioneer
  • Mimosa: A True Story
  • Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret
  • Secret Believers: What Happens When Muslims Believe in Christ
  • Meeting God at Every Turn
  • The God I Love: A Lifetime of Walking with Jesus
  • Oswald Chambers Abandoned to God: The Life Story of the Author of My Utmost for His Highest
  • Lords of the Earth
  • Gladys Aylward: The Little Woman
  • If I Perish
  • Dorie: The Girl Nobody Loved
  • A Passion for the Impossible: The Life of Lilias Trotter
  • And The Word Came With Power
  • The Savage My Kinsman
  • Give Me This Mountain
  • Chasing the Dragon: One Woman's Struggle Against the Darkness of Hong Kong's Drug Den
  • Mountain Rain: A Biography of James O. Fraser: Pioneer Missionary to China
  • David Livingstone: Africa's Trailblazer (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)

“Yes, my Master is thorough. He wounds, but He binds up, and His balm of Gilead heals without stinging; it cools, refreshes, and restores in every part. He gives the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness, and brings beauty out of our ashes.” 2 likes
“One symptom of being on that path is loneliness." He continues:
Nothing strengthens us so much as isolation and transplantation ... under the wholesome demand his soul will put forth all her native vigor . . . it may not be necessary for us to withdraw from home and friends; but we shall have to withdraw our heart's deepest dependence from all earthly props and supports, if ever we are to learn what it is to trust simply and absolutely on the eternal God.”
0 likes