By Searching: My Journey Through Doubt Into Faith

By Searching: My Journey Through Doubt Into Faith

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  382 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Isobel Miller gave up God for worldly pursuits. But as graduation approached and her engagement was broken, she questioned that decision. "If You will prove to me that You are, and if You will give me peace, I will give You my whole life." God heard Isobel's prayers and responded. He reached out to her, ending years of searching, and building her up for decades of fruitful...more
Published October 20th 1959 by Moody Publishers (first published January 1st 1959)

To ask other readers questions about By Searching, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By Searching

Captivating by John EldredgeUnconditional by Tanya EavensonGet Out of That Pit! by Beth MooreMy Utmost for His Highest by Oswald ChambersA Melody for James by Hallee Bridgeman
Best Christian Women's Books
183rd out of 198 books — 187 voters
Do Hard Things by Alex  HarrisI Kissed Dating Goodbye by Joshua HarrisRedeeming Love by Francine RiversGod's Favor - Breath Of Heaven by Michele WoolleyDark Passage by M.L. Woolley
YA Female Christian
66th out of 79 books — 39 voters

More lists with this book...

Kerry Nietz
Though this book is sub-titled "My Journey Through Doubt Into Faith" only a small portion of the book deals with Isobel's time as a doubter. What this book chiefly illustrates is Isobel's growing faith--the small tests and experiences that led her from an infant faith to a steady faith. The kind of faith necessary to move her from the comforts of America to the mission field in China. Today's readers might find some of the subjects discussed quaint--the length of hemlines, for instance--but ther...more
Go2therock
It is amazing how the Lord intersects various conversations, events, radio programs, thoughts, and books, like puzzle pieces to speak into my life. Over and over again, He shows His intimate care and concern for my heart and its affairs, those things close to me.

This book is for college students, their parents, and anyone who can relate to a struggle to live without submission and a walk of consecration to Christ. Although written in the setting of the 1920's, most of what is found here is of a...more
Melissa
Joan
I have read several books about missionaries who have devoted their lives to spreading the message of Jesus Christ in China. This book deals with Isobel Kuhn "pre-China" years. I found it very interesting and I personally loved it. It might not appeal to everyone but I gleaned a lot from it. It is set in the early 1920's. Some things have changed, but other things, such as the power of God in transforming lives, have not.
Brian Williams
Another classic by Isobel Kuhn. God did miracle after miracle in her life as a missionary in China. Before her time as a missionary though, God had to show young Isobel that He is real and desires to use willing vessels who are fully yielded to Him. He removed all doubt from her mind through numerous manifestations in her life. Read this book and be encouraged to trust God for miracles. He delights in removing all your doubt.
Lydia
Mrs. Kuhn's simple and friendly style carries some massive truths. Her journey from a Christian home to university agnosticism to faith in Christ to the mission field is very encouraging.
Robin
I find myself coming back to this book time and again as I reach a different level of maturity -- this, and Kuhn's In the Arena.
Lisa Jacobson
I'm going to recommend this one to my daughters...who are growing up quickly. Inspiring for all, but maybe particularly for young women?
Noai Leidenfrost
Great book! Isobel Kuhn is an astounding woman of faith. encouraging to see how God works through prayer
Heather
One of my favorite missionary biographies!
Ashley
Although I enjoyed this book, being a young person of today I could barely relate to Kuhn when she talked about returning to her faith. What I could relate to were her distractions from God (a previous boyfriend, her love of romance fiction). However, I wished for a little more exploration of her doubts, particularly being a university student, but this section of the book was read and gone in a few short chapters. Perhaps because of the time period, returning to faith was easier for her then, t...more
Christa Pratt
This book was such an encouragement. Given to me by a woman in my church, I am so thankful to have read it. An amazing look at the life of Isobel Kuhn and how By Searching she found her Savior even when she was so far away from him. After choosing Christ, you see the amazing transformation and the amazing ways God proved faithful as she shared the gospel.
Lynnda Ell
Isobel Miller Kuhn was born about the turn of the last century. By Searching recounts the first steps of her adult life in college from the "faith of her fathers" through the "Misty Flats" of doubt. Her struggles and wanderings were constrained by the prayers of family members and friends until she could be led by God to walk on the High Way.

The story of her trip of preparation to be a missionary, wife, and mother in China for the next quarter of a century is amazing. Take a trip on a time mach...more
Denise Meyer
Fairly fast-paced. Focusing on her pursuit of Christ. Inspiring to see & act on the fact that "this world has nothing for me...all that I could want and nothing that I need." Christ fills us.
Dee
Two-haiku review:

She's searching for God
College age, loses her faith
Then finds it again

Missionary goal
Autobiographical
Interesting book
Kevin
Read for school. I remember not liking it. I'm thinking about trying it again, though, after reading the description.
Victoria
Sep 03, 2014 Victoria marked it as to-read
Darlene suggested this little book to me last week at Music Camp. I'm adding it to my fall reading list!
Teresa Rust
I read this years ago when I was obsessed with missionary stories and biographies.
Jaysah
it is very inspiring :)
Emily Good
This is now one of my favourite autobiographies. In a honest yet humble way, Isobel Kuhn shares some of her struggles as a young adult and how she came to know the Lord as her Saviour. It was a really marvelous yet challenging testimony of how the Lord can help us to come to know and love Him if we will only search for Him. This is one that I will certianly be recommending to any friends!
Dani
Sep 24, 2013 Dani rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Isobel's books were recommended to me by a dear older saint and I have not been disappointed! This book was an easy read, that was also challenging and convicting. Even though I am not in agreement with everything that she writes, each of her books that I have read so far I have left me with at least one solid nugget of truth that I have held onto and that has transformed my life!
Natalie Wickham
A first-hand account of her own life, from a state of unbelief and worldly living to a life whole-heartedly committed to God. I was inspired by Isobel’s disciplined living. She shares of how she made a commitment to spend one hour in quite time with the Lord daily and willingly sacrificed sleep or food or other enjoyments to fulfill this commitment.
Michelle
Its good. Most Christian literature has this problem of being Bible bashing. This book is Isobels's story of her journey to God. It's full of her thoughts and moments that you can relate to. She has this way of making you feel like she's in the room talking to you. Read it.
Candace Phelps
Isobel gives a descriptive look into her struggles in her late teens and early twenties while attending UBC (1920s). She reveals struggles (including thoughts of suicide) but also triumphs (in her walk with God). Includes how she met her husband John.
Gillian
A good red, yes, but something she said bugged me. Something about how she didn't think God could trust her yet, as if God ''trusts'' any of us. We don't ever deserve it. Our God is self-sufficient and does not need to trust anyone but Himself for His work.
Rebecca
Wonderful book for anyone who feels the call of missions on their lives. This is the story of Isobel Kunh who became a missionary with her husband to China. This is the story of what God did in her life before she married her husband. Such a fantastic read!
Rachel
I first read this when I was 12 or 13 and have read it several times since then. It has been a number of years since my last re-read, though. A great and honest autobiography of one girl's journey through doubt to total commitment to Christ.
Nan
Jim
A great short autobiography of the missionary in southeast asia. Very wonderful spiritual encouragement, and sound advice on following hard after God. Highly recommended!
Hope
Isobel Kuhn's books always call you into a deeper walk with God. This book tells of her conversion. Her other books (detailing her years of missionary service) are just as good.
  • Rees Howells: Intercessor
  • Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret
  • Oswald Chambers Abandoned to God: The Life Story of the Author of My Utmost for His Highest
  • Mimosa: A True Story
  • And The Word Came With Power
  • Dorie: The Girl Nobody Loved
  • Secret Believers: What Happens When Muslims Believe in Christ
  • If I Perish
  • Chasing the Dragon: One Woman's Struggle Against the Darkness of Hong Kong's Drug Den
  • Torches of Joy: International Adventures
  • The Inn of the Sixth Happiness
  • Evidence Not Seen: A Woman's Miraculous Faith in the Jungles of World War II
  • Jungle Pilot: The Gripping Story of the Life and Witness of Nate Saint, Martyred Missionary to Ecuador
  • David Livingstone: Africa's Trailblazer (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
In The Arena Green Leaf In Drought Nests Above the Abyss Stones Of Fire Second Mile People