Start by marking “The Beaded Moccasins: The Story of Mary Campbell” as Want to Read:
The Beaded Moccasins: The Story of Mary Campbell
Preview

The Beaded Moccasins: The Story of Mary Campbell

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  225 ratings  ·  25 reviews
On the morning of her twelfth birthday, Mary Campbell gets angry with her mother and storms out of the cabin-never to return. As she picks wild strawberries and plans her apology, Mary is captured by Delaware Indians and plunged into a life that is fearsome, strenuous, and utterly unlike the one she knows, beginning with the journey on foot from Pennsylvania to the Delawar ...more
Published March 23rd 1998 by Clarion Books (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Beaded Moccasins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beaded Moccasins

Karen
Interesting book about my great, great, great, great grandmother.
Miss Amanda
Sierra
An excellent book! Read in first person, it is extremely well done and cuts right to your heart. In this story, Mary, at first, is very young and foolish. But when she is captured by the Indians, she learns about courage, love, strength. She learns great lessons and the ways of the Indians and that they aren't as wicked as many people think. Such an extremely good book that I will never get rid of it! Lynda Durrant surely knows how to capture her readers and send them back in time!
Rileigh C
The Beaded moccasins is a great book. Mary Campbell is stolen by Indians to be a granddaughter for their chief. Mary doesn't know untill they tell her in the middle of their trip. She is worried because if she doesn't behave they might scalp her like they did to little Sammy. Marry is also worried because Ms.Stewart has been put with a different family, yet their treating her poorly. Will Mary, and Ms.Stewart ever get out of it? Your going to have to read the book to find out.

A lesson this book
LeeAnn
Disclaimer: I read the story of a young girl kidnapped by the Indians who I believe was Mary Campbell. I will have to retread this to be sure this was the same story.

This is based on the true story of Mary Campbell. I read this some years ago and enjoyed it because it was such a thought-provoking story. The distress caused Mary by the Indians who kidnapped her was horrific and made me wonder why she would ever want to stay. Then, as I considered the relative freedoms and respect she had with the
Dave Moore
Beth
This is a historical fiction novel based on a true story. It's a great novel for anyone, but especially elementary and middle school kids. Mary Campbell is kidnapped by Indians at a young age making it more exciting and relate-able for kids. Besides, what kid hasn't dreamed about being kidnapped by Indians and living in the forest while learning to use a bow and arrows? Or was that just me and my sibs? This is one of the best Indian captive middle grade novels I've read. I've read it at least a ...more
Madeline Henricksen
"The Beaded Moccasins" is about a girl named Mary Campbell who, on her twelfth birthday, gets kidnapped by Delaware Indians. She becomes a replacement granddaughter to Netawatwees Sachem (chief of the tribe) and "tonn"(daughter) to Hepte (daughter of the chief). She has lots of adventures along the way. Mary has her real mother's rose bowl, but somebody takes it. She soon becomes a woman named Woman-Who-Saved-The-Corn because she helped saved the tribes garden from a flash flood.
Donna
This was a juvenile novel about a young girl who was taken by the indians in the late 1700's at the age of 12 on her birthday. It is true story about Mary Campbell who lived with the indians in Ohio for 6 years, determined to get back to her family, but eventually becoming part of the family of that had taken her.

I always enjoy reading historical fiction and even though this was a juvenile novel, I have enjoyed all of Lynda Durrant's books.
Betty
Sep 11, 2007 Betty rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adults and older children
This is a juvenile book of only 175 pages but is a story based on the life of Mary Campbell who was kidnapped by the Delaware Indians on the eve of her 12th birthday and taken west to Ohio where she lived for about five years. Though the book is short and an easy read, it is interesting because of the wealth of historical detail.
Kris Irvin
Not nearly as good as Echohawk. I didn't like Mary much, but I did feel bad for her mother. I'm glad the author included the notes at the end about Mary's real life - it added some much needed closure for me.

I'm glad I read it, but yeah, not as good as Durrant's other books.
Renee Sustarich
a simple and short story of a young girls times during and after being abducted by the Delware Indians. Part fact an part fiction it brings to life the tiem and era that these actions took place. Makes you wonder if th Natives really had it right compared to society, then and now.
This book is the story of my Great, Great, Great, Great Grandma. I thought this was an amazing tell of that part of her life. I myself would have loved to have read more about her life after all she went through. I would like to thank everyone for reading...
Julie
I LOVE to read books based on true accounts of Indian captives, but i just felt this one was lacking something...i'm not sure what though. It DID make me want to research the life of Mary Campbell further, especially since this story takes place in Ohio.
Alice
Another in the genre of "white child captured by Indians and experiences identity problems." Of interest mostly because it is based on the true story of Mary Campbell who was taken to the Cuyahoga River with her Indian tribe.
Jennifer Litchfield
I had to read this book for a class i was taking and thought that i would just skim it, however before i knew it i was so caught up in this story even though it is a book for younger students i enjoyed it very much!
Audree
My 5th grade teacher read this to us. Although I hated her, I liked this book :) Shows what a good story it was. Yup, I hadn't heard a story like that since the Dan Storm Testaments, which are also good books.
Jenny
After being captured by Deleware Indians to replace the chief's granddaughter, Mary Campbell is forced to march to Ohio. She must learn how to survive among her captors, and she must choose whether to escape or not.
Shannon
I read this because my 4th grade son loved it and kept suggesting I read it. Why not? Great book! Couldn't put it down, and it's honestly the most interesting book I've read in a while.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Based on a true account. A girl is taken captive by the Indians and transported from Pennsylvania to Ohio in 1759.
Rosemary Bruner
This a superb possibility for any school library. Strong female lead in this story with historical basis.
Lily
this was a great book i loved it and it was kind of sad
Ashley
Beaded moccasins was pretty good but it wasn't my favorite
Jessy
this book was really and even a little sad
Stephanie
I loved this book as a kid. It was a great story
Jasmine Schoonover
Jasmine Schoonover marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
What's The Name o...: Girl gets kidnapped by native americans. [s] 5 123 Jul 14, 2012 08:12AM
  • Trouble's Daughter: The Story of Susanna Hutchinson, Indian Captive
  • Hope's Crossing
  • I Am Regina
  • The Ransom of Mercy Carter
  • The Legend of Jimmy Spoon
  • Women's Indian Captivity Narratives
  • Brown Sunshine of Sawdust Valley
  • The Girl Who Chased Away Sorrow: The Diary of Sarah Nita, a Navajo Girl (Dear America)
  • There Will Be Wolves
  • Charlotte's Rose
  • The Apprenticeship of Lucas Whitaker
  • Enemy in the Fort (American Girl History Mysteries, #13)
  • Greater Than Angels
  • Storm Warriors
  • Pandora of Athens, 399 B.C.  (The Life and Times Series)
  • Trouble at Fort Lapointe (American Girl History Mysteries, #7)
  • Titanic Crossing
  • My Heart is on the Ground: the Diary of Nannie Little Rose, a Sioux Girl, Carlisle Indian School, Pennsylvania, 1880 (Dear America)
My Last Skirt: The Story of Jennie Hodgers, Union Soldier Imperfections Echohawk Ariel Bradley, Spy for General Washington Betsy Zane, The Rose of Fort Henry