The Lord's Service: The Grace of Covenant Renewal Worship

The Lord's Service: The Grace of Covenant Renewal Worship

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Begun as a practical pastoral guide to worship, this book balances theory and praxis to create a compelling case for a biblical, aesthetic, and covenantal worship service as the place where the Triune God and His people renew the bonds of love and loyalty. Jeffrey Meyers begins laying out a case for a covenant renewal service by means of Old Testament sacrificial liturgics...more
Published September 15th 2003 by Canon Press (first published February 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Lord's Service, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lord's Service

Tim Nichols
If you're ministering in a context where you will have to do some liturgical innovation or design, you need to read this book. Myers gives a good overview of the biblical imagery and theology behind Christian liturgy. This book will make you think, hard -- but the chapters are also relatively short, so it comes in digestible chunks. When my church plant was wrestling with what to do on Sunday mornings, this book was invaluable to me. Now that I'm ministering in a radically different context than...more
Suzannah
I enjoyed this book immensely! It was so interesting--with Scriptural backing and historical explanations for a lot of things I had observed without fully understanding, or had heard in part elsewhere, or even had never thought of. Don't be scared off by the length of the book--the print is big, the chapters are short, you'll get there.

The book is about form and ritual in worship, coming from a robust Presbyterian viewpoint. Some things I particularly liked:

* The chapter "Worship as Sacrifice" e...more
Gray
Excellent.

The silliness that permeates modern evangelical worship is mind numbing; it almost begs the question: is that the actual purpose.

The King of king's and Lord of lord's is deserving of all honor and glory, and the simpering childishness that passes for tribute is a sad commentary of the current state of the church in the U.S. The church militant is defintely not the image currently presented.

This book lays an excellent foundation to restore the honor that God deserves to be given. If, by...more
Ryan
Incredible. The juvenilization of current American Evangelicalism and the silly childishness that saturates its idea of sunday worship is wearisome. It is a movement that has neglected to go to the Word of God to pattern its Sunday worship. Instead it finds its pattern from a culture that is for the most part, completely against the God of the Bible. I wonder if there is a blinding to the times of the age going one. Never the less, this is an Incredible study on the Biblical/Historical covenanta...more
Lucas Dorminy
Changed the way I viewed worship and covenant. Long, but worth the time. One of my favorites.
Job Dalomba
This book is fantastic. I highly recommend it. The book biography is a key part.
Shep
Eye-opening, thorough, and well-written. Jeffrey Meyers connects the covenants to worship in a Scriptural manner that aids readers in understanding what the meaning of worship is and what the worship service is all about. Meyer's positions on certain elements of worship will be controversial to some, but his arguments are well-thought out and cannot be cheaply discarded. While I disagree with Meyers on a few points, overall I agree with and benefited greatly from this amazing book. This is one o...more
Kris
I read this in 2004, shortly after reading Jordan's Thesis on Worship. The Lord's Service serves as a pastoral out working of the ideas presented in brief by Jordan--though not central to them. I remember most clearly the essay on why the author wears a clerical collar when out in public. What used to be the norm for ordained ministers has now been abandoned by virtually all evangelical pastors. Meyers has found that wearing a collar opens up many ministry opportunities in public settings.
Luke
Thorough treatment of Biblical approach to worship. Makes a compelling argument for God's initiating action in worship (rather than the people doing all the work of worship). Not exactly a new conception for this reader, though I will admit that I didn't realize the vast implications that Meyers presents in regards to this approach.

Meyers is insightful throughout, though many times is long winded and likely to bog down the reader.
Megan
A very illustrative book on the importance of liturgical theology and liturgical practice in the modern Church. Written to be accessible to non-seminarians, Meyers explains liturgy as covenant renewal worship based on the pattern of Old Testament sacrifice. I found this book to be very helpful in providing a framework for thinking about liturgy and for understanding why we do what we do and when in worship.
Jon Sedlak
I've read it and re-read it. It's an excellent life changing book for those who worship in boring churches, but after using it over and over again, I think it could be organized a lot better. It's more like a collection of various liturgical essays than a book that has been outlined from A to Z. It is filled to the brim with great biblical and historical insights though.
J.E. Jr.
Nov 29, 2010 J.E. Jr. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: pastors, church leaders, worship leaders
Jeff's book gives a thorough and helpful discussion on the biblical and theological foundations for so much of the way we worship, both in the church in general and at HWPC. There's a lot of good meat here, and it's a valuable book; however, it's both thick and at times dense in content, and maybe wouldn't be the kind of thing I would give to just any church member.
Nicholas Rozier
Incredibly enlightening read. As opposed to most of the modern evangelical "worship" services, there are some who have searched out the scriptures for a model of how God engages and desires to be engaged, and have thought through why they do what they do and operate from biblical conviction rather than a cop-out under the phrase "Christian liberty".
Brittany Petruzzi
This book is awesome. Meyer's shows how beautifully New Covenant worship necessarily flows out of Old Covenant worship through it's fulfillment in Christ. Every time I need a reminder of why we do such-and-such a thing in worship, I refer back to this. Having read it in far too short a time in college, the re-read was well worth it.
Michael Jones
top of the priority list for pastors! Will forever impact the way you worship the Lord every Sunday!

I have indirectly benefited from this book and the movement which brought it on because our service now is in the general flow of this!

Jeff Meyers is a really good guy and I've enjoyed his thoughts on many things!
David
An excellent explanation and defense of covenant renewal worship. The chapter on paedocommunion is worth the price of the book.
Peter N.
A very good book on the nature of worship. A detail explanation of covenant renewal worship, as well as numerous extra chapters on liturgical matters, such as the Apostles'Creed, wearing robes and paedocommunion.
Jeremy
An excellent exposition on the beauty and theology of worship and the necessity of a Biblically-based liturgy. Also offers a great discussion of 1 Corinthians 11 and makes a great case for paedocommunion.
Grant
Hard for me to get through, yet a good look at why some things are done in a worship service. I don't agree with everything. Especially wearing vestments etc. But it's worth some spare time reading
James
I read the spiral bound version so I have not read the updated version by Canon Press. It is by far one of the best books on liturgical worship!
Samantha Ryan
Great, easy to understand book on the importance and value of including Old Testament scripture and worship patterns in modern day worship.
Bill
Great book for the explanation of Covenant renewal worship. It took me sometime to read because I did not want to just skim through it.
Michael
2nd read. Still thorough, foundational and necessary for Worship reformation. I recommend to anyone who worships God.
Steve Hemmeke
If you want to know my philosophy and understanding of worship, this is basically it.
Amy Ivey
Beautifully written. Another must-read for the biblical picture of worship.
Jesse Broussard
A staggering book. Reviews the modern worship services brutally and correctly.
Douglas Wilson
Outstanding. Also read in December of 2000.
Joe Stout

Really wonderful book.
Abe Goolsby
Stupendously insightful and thorough.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Jeff grew up in the Crestwood/Sappington area, graduated from Lindbergh High School ('75) and the University of Missouri at Columbia ('79). After serving as an officer in the U.S. Army for 4 years, Jeff attended Covenant Theological Seminary in St. Louis, but took three years off to teach at a Christian school in Texas. Upon graduation from Covenant Seminary ('88), he served three years as an Asso...more
More about Jeffrey J. Meyers...
Ecclesiastes Through New Eyes: A Table in the Mist Vere Homo The Case for Pictures of Jesus: A Critical Examination of Seeing Jesus