The Time of the Hawklords

The Time of the Hawklords (Time of the Hawklords #1)

3.19 of 5 stars 3.19  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Rocking On The Edge Of Time.Deep at the Earth's Centre lay the Death Generator. Buried there from time immemorial by a long-dead race of aliens, it had at last been triggered into action . . .For among the ruins of London, surrounded by the survivors of the recent holocaust, Hawkwind rock, their music catalysing the attacking Death Raythe only potential saviours of the hum...more
Published 1977 by Warner Books (first published January 1st 1976)

Craig
This is a weird and wild and literallly spaced-out gonzo novel written by Michael Butterworth from an outline by Michael Moorcock. It features the fictional stage personaes used by members and friends of the band Hawkwind, so it's for a very small niche audience, but for those who spent the '70s as space cadets in the Hawkfleet it's a warm and wonderful thing.
Bryan
I read this years ago and just finished rereading it. It's certainly not a great book, neither well-written nor well-plotted.

This novel is an overly-simplistic view of good vs evil with no shades of grey whatsoever. The Hawkwind crew are good in every way (even if a bit misunderstood by the "straights"). The evil Dark Lord is so bent on power that he seems to care nothing for the fact that he quite obviously will have to completely destroy the entire world to achieve his goals.

What makes it int...more
Andy
Take it from me, this is great fun, like a really tripped-out B-Movie, starring legendary underground prog-psych band Hawkwind, no less, whose music, in this novel, is like manna from heaven. All other music? Death musik, my friend. This book RULES.
Otto Thebierdude
What a cracking read this is IMO
Most people do not like this book and the follow up was a long time coming and did not live up to the first book.
I may be a little biased as I'm a Hawkwind fan but I really got into the caractures who are all Hawkwind members/roadcrew.
Who save the world from the "normal's" deathray music.
I have read at least a half dozen times give it a try.
You never know?
Connie Knoch
i gave this 4 stars (I really liked it) because even though the uneveness of the writing throughout left me unsatisfied, and the way Moorcock starts using sentence fragments when the story gets exciting can be distracting the topic alone was interesting and the characters were Lemmy-era Hawkwind!
Josh
Dec 06, 2011 Josh rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: music
This is a pretty spaced out book about a really spaced out band. It is certainly an unusual read and also one that comes off as very dated in the 2000s. Still, if you are a fan of Hawkwind it is an enjoyable read. If you're not a fan, go pick up the Space Ritual 2LP and you will be.
Stuart Lutzenhiser
I can't believe that I actually liked this book as a kid. No idea what was appealing to me. A bunch of heavy metal band members become the legendary Hawklords in an endless battle that takes place after the downfall of civilization ffrom a death generator.
Rob Wiltsher
One of my favourite bands, one of my favourite writers......what more could I want
Daniel
I couldn't even finish this.
Ivo
Ivo added it
Jul 04, 2014
Nancy
Nancy added it
May 27, 2014
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Martyn Lesbirel
Martyn Lesbirel marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Shathne Kelleth
Shathne Kelleth marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Ryan
Ryan added it
Dec 26, 2013
Jackinator
Jackinator marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2013
Inbees
Inbees marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2013
Didier
Didier added it
Jun 17, 2014
Derek
Derek added it
Sep 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Michael John Moorcock is an English writer primarily of science fiction and fantasy who has also published a number of literary novels.
Moorcock has mentioned The Gods of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs, The Apple Cart by George Bernard Shaw and The Constable of St. Nicholas by Edward Lester Arnold as the first three books which captured his imagination. He became editor of Tarzan Adventures in 1956,...more
More about Michael Moorcock...
Elric of Melniboné (Elric, #1) Stormbringer (Elric, #6) The Vanishing Tower (Elric, #4) The Weird of the White Wolf (The Elric Saga, #3) The Sailor on the Seas of Fate (Elric, #2)