Start by marking “The Time of the Hawklords” as Want to Read:
The Time of the Hawklords

The Time of the Hawklords (Time of the Hawklords #1)

Rocking On The Edge Of Time.Deep at the Earth's Centre lay the Death Generator. Buried there from time immemorial by a long-dead race of aliens, it had at last been triggered into action . . .For among the ruins of London, surrounded by the survivors of the recent holocaust, Hawkwind rock, their music catalysing the attacking Death Raythe only potential saviours of the hum ...more
Published 1977 by Warner Books (first published January 1st 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Time of the Hawklords, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Time of the Hawklords

Craig
Mar 12, 2010 Craig rated it really liked it
This is a weird and wild and literallly spaced-out gonzo novel written by Michael Butterworth from an outline by Michael Moorcock. It features the fictional stage personaes used by members and friends of the band Hawkwind, so it's for a very small niche audience, but for those who spent the '70s as space cadets in the Hawkfleet it's a warm and wonderful thing.
Bryan
Nov 05, 2009 Bryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, music, series-complete
I read this years ago and just finished rereading it. It's certainly not a great book, neither well-written nor well-plotted.

This novel is an overly-simplistic view of good vs evil with no shades of grey whatsoever. The Hawkwind crew are good in every way (even if a bit misunderstood by the "straights"). The evil Dark Lord is so bent on power that he seems to care nothing for the fact that he quite obviously will have to completely destroy the entire world to achieve his goals.

What makes it int
Andy
Feb 01, 2008 Andy rated it really liked it
Take it from me, this is great fun, like a really tripped-out B-Movie, starring legendary underground prog-psych band Hawkwind, no less, whose music, in this novel, is like manna from heaven. All other music? Death musik, my friend. This book RULES.
Otto Thebierdude
Sep 17, 2013 Otto Thebierdude rated it it was amazing
What a cracking read this is IMO
Most people do not like this book and the follow up was a long time coming and did not live up to the first book.
I may be a little biased as I'm a Hawkwind fan but I really got into the caractures who are all Hawkwind members/roadcrew.
Who save the world from the "normal's" deathray music.
I have read at least a half dozen times give it a try.
You never know?
Josh
Jan 22, 2011 Josh rated it really liked it
Shelves: music
This is a pretty spaced out book about a really spaced out band. It is certainly an unusual read and also one that comes off as very dated in the 2000s. Still, if you are a fan of Hawkwind it is an enjoyable read. If you're not a fan, go pick up the Space Ritual 2LP and you will be.
Connie Knoch
Apr 12, 2008 Connie Knoch rated it really liked it
i gave this 4 stars (I really liked it) because even though the uneveness of the writing throughout left me unsatisfied, and the way Moorcock starts using sentence fragments when the story gets exciting can be distracting the topic alone was interesting and the characters were Lemmy-era Hawkwind!
Lemec
May 13, 2015 Lemec rated it it was ok
The Time of the Hawklords was not written by Michael Moorcock.

This book is really weird, though, so it has extreme weirdness going for it.

Rock 'n' Roll strange times with a fun band.

Space Rock!
Stuart Lutzenhiser
I can't believe that I actually liked this book as a kid. No idea what was appealing to me. A bunch of heavy metal band members become the legendary Hawklords in an endless battle that takes place after the downfall of civilization ffrom a death generator.
Daniel
Feb 09, 2013 Daniel rated it did not like it
I couldn't even finish this.
Rob Wiltsher
Oct 19, 2011 Rob Wiltsher rated it it was amazing
One of my favourite bands, one of my favourite writers......what more could I want
Roy
Jul 19, 2016 Roy rated it liked it
Great stuff if you are a Hawkwind fan ,I got it at times of publication , wish I still had it .
Robert Boyd
Robert Boyd rated it it was ok
Jul 23, 2011
Roddy Williams
Roddy Williams rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2013
Dave
Dave rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2014
Liam
Liam rated it did not like it
Aug 13, 2012
Jon
Jon rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2012
Logan
Logan rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2016
Harly
Harly rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2010
Bill Benedict
Bill Benedict rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2014
Mel
Mel rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2012
Thomas
Thomas rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2009
Pat
Pat rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2015
Connie
Connie rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2011
Ethereal Nige
Ethereal Nige rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2013
Cal Desmond-Pearson
Cal Desmond-Pearson rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2009
Greyer
Greyer rated it it was ok
Feb 20, 2014
Jennifer Tait
Jennifer Tait rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2014
Steve
Steve rated it it was ok
Jul 31, 2013
Serrano Nouaille
Serrano Nouaille rated it did not like it
Dec 23, 2013
Bill Reynolds
Bill Reynolds rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Michael John Moorcock is an English writer primarily of science fiction and fantasy who has also published a number of literary novels.
Moorcock has mentioned The Gods of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs, The Apple Cart by George Bernard Shaw and The Constable of St. Nicholas by Edward Lester Arnold as the first three books which captured his imagination. He became editor of Tarzan Adventures in 1956,
More about Michael Moorcock...

Time of the Hawklords (3 books)
  • Queens of Deliria