Start by marking “The Mission of Addition” as Want to Read:
The Mission of Addition

The Mission of Addition (Math is CATegorical)

New from the author of the best-selling Words Are Categorical series, this is the first title in a new series that introduces basic math concepts to young readers with fun, rhyming texts; bright, humorous illustrations; and many examples. This book helps kids become familiar with terms they'll encounter when learning to add, gives fun examples of adding, and includes pract ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by First Avenue Editions (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Mission of Addition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mission of Addition

Nancy Kotkin
Text: 3 stars
Illustrations: 3 stars

Part of Brian Cleary's Math is CATegorical series. This one doesn't work as well with the rhyming text format of the series, because the examples are wordy. Rather than using numerical numbers, the numbers are written out as words. It takes a lot of words to explain an addition problem, that could be depicted more succinctly and clearly with numerical numbers. Therefore, less examples are given.
Annikka
Dec 08, 2015 Annikka rated it it was amazing
Summarize the book:

The Mission of Addition is about these little creatures, some of them look like cats, that tell you what addition is and what it is all about. In the book you go from adding school buses, to birthday candles, and finally to the pieces of a marching band, with the numbers getting bigger each time. It is told in a fun way, and is part of a series that includes fractions, subtraction, and scales and weights.

Identify the characteristics from the text that support the specific genr
Rachel Boatright
Nov 20, 2015 Rachel Boatright rated it it was amazing
The Mission of Addition is a book that has addition on every page. The book uses colors as well as objects to help illustrate the addition problem it is solving on each page. Also, in the book they sneak little sayings to help understand addition. The illustrations in this book encourage kids to count in order to solve their math problems by using the pictures of groups of objects and adding them together. The little phrases they use give simple facts about addition to help the reader develop an ...more
Melanie, Aaron, Annie, and Mary Project
The Mission Of Addition
By Brian P. Cleary
Illustrations By Brian Gable
Grade Levels: 1-2
DRA/Lexile Measure/GLE: n/a
Reviewed By Aaron Carter

If you're doing a lesson plan or unit covering addition, this book is a perfect choice for a read aloud. After a brief explanation of terms addition and equals (also totals and makes), the book delves into numerous scenarios in which the former concept is applied, all while incorporating rhyme--the basis of phonological awareness. The illustrations nicely compl
Angela
Mar 12, 2012 Angela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math
Part of series by: Brian P. Cleary.

The book begins with the definition of addition as combining two or more numbers to come up with their total. Addition problems deal with student activities at school, such as 6 yellow buses parked in a line. 3 pulled behind them and then there were 9. It provides the reader with an interpretation of the word problem to allow the reader to physically count 6 buses plus the other 3 buses parked behind them for a total count of buses parked to be 9. It reiterates
Hailey Dellinger
I discovered this book in my 1st grade placement and used this to review math concepts with rhyming, fun illustrations, and examples. I used this in an addition small group activity to practice addition word problems on their white boards. This was a fun interactive way to get students excited about addition. This book gave the definition of addition and relatable word problems for the students. I like how it reiterates that the item always grows in the word problems.
Rachel Escobar
Mar 17, 2015 Rachel Escobar rated it did not like it
I did not really like this book too much for a number of different reasons. I found it to be very confusing to me a college student who has taken numerous college level math classes so I can only imagine how confusing it would be to a young child. I think all the different numbers were confusing because there was no logical pattern. I think this book would better if it tried to explain addition in a chronological sequence instead of a bunch of random numbers.
Julian Franklin
Apr 03, 2014 Julian Franklin added it
Shelves: math
The Mission of Addition is a story that explores how adding works. The story explores different scenarios where adding must take place.
This story is a rhyming story that teaches what it means to add. Children can create their own word problems similar to the ones in the story. By creating word problems about the story, children will increase their written knowledge and understanding of word problems.
Dolly
Feb 26, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We have enjoyed a few of the books by this author/illustrator team. The rhyming narrative, funny cartoon illustrations and practical way of discussing addition makes this book an educational book in disguise. It's fun to read, keeps children engaged, and teaches them something too. What more can a parent ask for? Our girls had a lot of fun counting the items in this story and we enjoyed practicing our addition. Much more fun than homework!
Jennifer Rampton

5) Title: The Mission of Addition
Bibliographic Reference: Cleary, B. (2007). The mission of addition. Minneapolis, MN: Millbrook Press
Illustrator: Brian Gable
Summary: This is a book that helps students learn about addition. It has simple sayings that are clever and rhyming to help the students catch on to the rules and ways of addition. I would use this book when teaching my students about addition.
Isabel Hernandez
Jun 23, 2011 Isabel Hernandez rated it liked it
Shelves: math-class
Although i liked the way in which this book explained the math facts in a fun and engaging way, i didn't like the fact that they did not say that equal means the same as. Instead they said totals or makes. I still see the value of using this book when talking about math facts, however i would also say it's the same as when reading the book to my students. I could use this book during small group work, specially to reinforce math facts for those students that struggle the most.
Lbrown107
Apr 19, 2012 Lbrown107 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mathematics
This is a really good addition book which could be used for kindergarten through second grade. It has a very simple definition of addition and provides clarification of word problems. I think it would be fun to provide students with manipulatives that they may use while reading the book to solve the problems presented.
Joanie
Oct 14, 2011 Joanie rated it liked it
Shelves: math
I like that this book uses math key terms such as "totals" "makes"; it's a great book to use when introducing math word problems. During small group, the teacher can read this book and have students write the addition sentences while using a white board.
Vanessa Grubbs
Jun 22, 2012 Vanessa Grubbs rated it it was amazing
A really fun book with little monsters that add numbers together. It is set in a school setting a has a fun rhyming scheme. Would work well in K-2, and could be fun to incorporate into work centers.
Angela
Best for kids ages 6 and up.
Early Literacy Skills: Print Motivation, Vocabulary, Narrative Skills

Join the crazy CATegoricals as they explain addition with kid friendly examples. Wild and crazy illustrations help to further the concept.
Krupal Morjaria
The Mission of Addition is a cute book that helps students with math, specifically addition problems. There are terms in the book that will help the students solve addition problems. Math books can help students better understand something they may need more assistance with.
Inna Nako
Mar 19, 2012 Inna Nako rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math, rhyming
-wonderful book explaining what addition is
-introduces new vocabulary such as "plus and equal"
-very colorful pictures
-items added in the story are easily relatable to the children
-each page has rhyming words as well, which makes it more fun to read
Shelleyburns
Information book. Grades k-2. Theme - math, addition. Cleary has created a math series to introduce and reinforce basic math concepts. This cute story goes over what addition is, vocabulary we use with addition and ways we use addition everyday.
Shunta
Sep 12, 2012 Shunta rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math
Placement order 1st, 2nd, 3rd... it is an easy book to count because the numbers are highlighted. It also gives pretty good definitions to help children's understanding. I can see myself having students create their own math story books.
Julianna
Mar 30, 2014 Julianna rated it really liked it
Shelves: march
This book was also very cute and fun, but I just don't know if it is age-appropriate and it it will help the kids understand math better or make it harder to understand. It was really cute and funny though and I enjoyed it (7 eggs + 3 eggs + 4 eggs + 10 eggs = 24 eggs, and 1 exhausted hen)
Helen Kumpel
Who this book would be for: 2-5
Activity: Addition; Have students use manipulatives to do the addition problems as you read
Reflection:
This book has very cute illustrations and great math vocabulary. I enjoy how this books use real life examples.
Melissa Nastja
Mar 21, 2010 Melissa Nastja rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math
This book is a great way to introduce writing addition problems to kindergarten students. The book explains what addition is and when you need it. Students can explore by making up their own problems.
Ashlee
Nov 05, 2012 Ashlee rated it really liked it
Shelves: math-bookshelf
This is the sister book to the action of subtraction. A fun way to introduce addition to your students! This is appropriate for kindergarten and first grade.
Melinda Garman
Mar 27, 2012 Melinda Garman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math, poetry
Fun addition and rhyming book. "6 yellow buses were parked in a line, 3 pulled behind them and then there was nine." Great for Kindergarten through 1st grade.
Judy
Jan 22, 2011 Judy rated it really liked it
I bought a whole group of books by this author. I like how they use rhyming and little examples to illustrate the concept being taught/ introduced in the books.
Katlyne Zarkowski
Mar 17, 2015 Katlyne Zarkowski rated it it was ok
Shelves: mathematics
This was a fun book, but the age audience was confusing because it taught basic counting and adding, but the pages are hard to follow because they are full of text.
Saima Pradhan
Sep 09, 2009 Saima Pradhan rated it it was amazing
Great way to teach math and different ways to say addition problems!
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2015
Sheryl Fredricks
Sheryl Fredricks rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2013
Cami
Cami rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

Math is CATegorical (9 books)
  • The Action of Subtraction (Math Is CATegorical)
  • How Long or How Wide?: A Measuring Guide
  • On the Scale, a Weighty Tale
  • Windows, Rings, and Grapes—a Look at Different Shapes (Math Is Categorical)
  • A-B-A-B-A- A Book of Pattern Play
  • A Fraction's Goal: Parts of a Whole
  • A Second, a Minute, a Week with Days in It: A Book about Time
  • A Dollar, a Penny, How Much and How Many?