The Blood Ballad (Torie O'Shea, #11)

The Blood Ballad (Torie O'Shea #11)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  258 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Genealogist and mother of three Torie O’Shea is out birding on the cliffs of the Mississippi River as part of New Kassell, Missouri’s first ever bird-watching Olympics, when someone starts shooting at her and her partner. Disoriented and running for their lives, they stumble over an antique trunk and discover a badly beaten dead body stuffed inside.

Soon after this disturb...more
Published February 19th 2008 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about The Blood Ballad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blood Ballad

In the Blood by Steve  RobinsonOnly You by Lorna PeelThe Last Queen of England by Steve  RobinsonTo the Grave by Steve  RobinsonWhere's Merrill? a genealogical thriller by Gearoid O'Neary
Stories for Genealogists/Family Historians
15th out of 40 books — 27 voters
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark TwainThe Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark TwainThe Glass Menagerie by Tennessee WilliamsEnemy Women by Paulette JilesA Good American by Alex George
Set in Missouri
38th out of 71 books — 33 voters

More lists with this book...

Mel
Blood Ballad is the last book (so far) in the Torie O'Shea Mystery series. I've read them all, though not in order. With each book the series has improved. Each mystery topping the last one.

Torie gets mixed up in the mystery involving her own family. The discovery could change her entire family tree. While trying to piece together these new stories, she gets involved in another murder case. But the current mystery isn't as fascinating as the case of a famous singer who missing in the 1930s. Som...more
Nikki
I had lost touch with local historian and genealogist Torie O'Shea in recent years, as well as her little town of New Kassel, Missouri. I'll certainly have to go back and pick up the volumes I've missed after reading THE BLOOD BALLAD.

In this one, Torie deals with every genealogist's nightmare -- the possibility of what is euphemistically termed "a non-paternity event." In other words, a man shows up claiming to have evidence that her grandfather was actually the son of a well-known local musici...more
Patty
This cozy series just keeps getting better and better.

Torie starts out the book by attending a Bird Olympics with Eleanor as her partner! If you've read any of the earlier books you would know that this is not going to turn out well. Once dusk sets in Torie is writing down birds for Eleanor and Eleanor is sitting in a tree when they hear gunfire. Two or three sharp reports. Then bullets start flying toward them and they run to get away. They make it down to the river and then the dead body is in...more
Patricia
The Blood Ballad
Rett MacPherson
St. Martin’s Minotaur, 2008, 228 pps.
ISBN No. 978-0-312-36222-5

Bird watching can be dangerous. Just ask Torie O’Shea. Torie reluctantly agreed to compete in the First Annual Bird Olympics of New Kassel, Missouri. Torie and her partner Eleanore Murdoch end up ducking bullets and running for their lives.

This is the beginning of a mystery surrounding Torie’s family and the famous Morgan Family singers. Glen Morgan shows up at the Kendall House, Torie’s new textile m...more
Mary
Yes, I went back to New Kassel, Missouri and my grown up Nancy Drew books. I have one more from the library then I am starting Glenn Iles I have 2 of his from the library.

Genealogist Torie O'Shea is out birding as part of New Kassel Missouri's first ever bird-watching Olympics, when someone starts shooting at her and her partner. Running for her life, she stmbles over an antique trunk and discovers a badly beaten dead body stuffed inside. So starts another Mystery that leads Torie to investigate...more
Ann
I enjoyed this book. Tori O'Shea is an average woman. She is married, a mother, genealogist, and snoop. This is the first one of this series I have read and I will definitely read more. In this book, Tori takes part in a birding competition. She is in the woods with her partner when someone starts shooting at them and then a body in a trunk gets dumped right next to them. She is then contacted by a stranger who informs her that her family tree is incorrect and that her grandfather is not the man...more
Busymom999
I like Torie O'Shea, partially because she's a genealogist and partially because she's funny. I like the author's technique of talking to the reader directly, especially when Torie has just said something "questionable". I don't know that area of the country so I like learning a bit about life on the Mississippi. MacPherson brings this small town to life with the recurring characters and keeps me coming back to visit!

The Blood Ballad was typical of the series, a quick read with interesting char...more
Mindy
A friend of mind put me on to the Torie O'Shea Mysteries last fall, and I quickly read through every single book in the series. The Blood Ballad is the newest in the series, just out a few weeks ago. I enjoy the main character, who is a genealogist who solves mysteries. I like the author's points that knowing about the past is important to us in the present, and the interaction of characters in a small town. The teenage daughters who fought all the time was a good subplot--particularly the young...more
Pat
Another new mystery writer for me. This is a pretty well-written book. The "detective" is an everyday wife and mother in a suburb of St. Louis - much like the author - who is responsible for her local historical society and museum. From that comes a book based around the old time bluegrass music of the early 1900s in Missouri and the folks involved in making it. The story itself is set in modern times, but the roots go back to the 1930s. It was a well-written puzzle. I'll be looking for more of...more
Michele
Another great entry in this series about genealogist Torie O'Shea. I like all of these books tremendously & have only one criticism of the characters & setting in general. It bothers me tremendously how Torie's mother treats her. I don't care how saintly she is in her wheelchair, there is no reason for her to be so consistently harsh, judgmental & unloving to her daughter as she is. This is bad enough that it's hard for me to get beyond & appreciate the rest of each story, &...more
Susan
This is the first Torie O'Shea mystery I have read, and I did enjoy it. I picked it up because I was interested in the idea of a local historian/genealogist sleuth. Easy to read with humor throughout, although toward the end I did have a little trouble following who was who -- I could have used an actual genealogy chart to make sense of everything! Overall a good read, I'll probably check out the other books in the Torie O'Shea series.
Linda
The Torie O'Shea stories by Rett McPherson combine two of my favorite elements: mystery and genealogy. I love this series! In this one Torie is out birding when someone starts shooting at her and her birding partner. In the dark they stumble over a trunk and find a badly beaten body stuffed inside. This leads Torie into another genealogy mystery that could involve her own family tree.
Myriam
Jul 10, 2008 Myriam rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: genealogy fans
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
I am very fond of this series. Torie O'Shea is a lovable character very well developed by the author. While some of the books are a tad predictable (but still very enjoyable), the mystery in this one was very well set up.

I'd recommend starting the series before getting to this one as there are many references made to some ancestors that are introduced prior to this book.
Mickie
A fun, quick read. Torie O'Shea stumbles onto another murder that she helps solve by delving into the past, using her genealogy skills. Small town living and quirky characters just add to the interest. This is book 11, written in 2008. There's some talk on the author's Facebook page that she's working on another. I hope it comes to fruition.
Meg
This makes me sad because this is the last book in this series and I've loved reading about the protagonist. A big reason I've enjoyed this series so much is because she has the life I hope to have when I'm older, working at a local historical society as a genealogist, and she's feisty and assertive. A kind of Jessica Fletcher type character.
Ann Busbey
Rett MacPherson never disappoints. I love the historical aspects she blends into her mysteries. Although I'm not into geneology, I feel like I'm missing something when I read how interesting it can be. I inevitably have the urge to spend some time in a small town wrought with history when I read the Torie O'Shea series.
Grey853
I was disappointed in the latest book of the Torie O'Shea series. It spent way too much time talking about the bratty, incredibly unlikeable teen daughters and not enough about the mystery.

It's a shame, too, because overall it's one of my favorite cozy mysteries series. However, this one missed the mark for me.
Christine
I enjoyed this book, my first of the Torie O'Shea mysteries. I found Torie a little high-strung, but once I got used to her character I also found her endearing. Since I have read from other reviews that this book was one of her lesser works, I am looking forward to reading others.
Debra
This time, Torie solves the mystery of a singer's disappearance some 50 years earlier--and the recent murder of a man with some important eveidence in that disappearance. I really enjoy these mysteries with a genealogical twist!
Kitty Tomlinson
Torie stumbles upon a dead body in a trunk while birding with Eleanor. This ties in with her grandfather's musical heritage and finding out that he had written quite a few songs attributed to someone else. Fun read.
Debra
I love this series -- the characters just ring completely true to me and my experience. The bratty sibling teenagers, I hate to say it, brought back memories....

The mystery here, though, seemed somewhat thin.
Em7ar7
really good! the reason for the recent murder seemed a little farfetched but a lot of interesting background on oldtime country music. I enjoy the protagonists interactions with members of her family.
Kristen
This is another great cozy series, leftover from last year's TBR pile, about a family secret dealing with murder. It had drama, suspense and intrigue all throughout the book. Happy reading.

Peg
The last in the series that I know of. A bit of a let down after the previous one. Repeated things along, wandered a bit, just not the same quality as many of the others.
Lesley
I bought this book at a used bookstore, so the price was right, and it was a nice, quick read. Since I like mysteries and genealogy, it was a good fit during busy times.
Chris
Okay, it wasn't that well written, but its a murder mystery solved by a genealogist, so I really enjoyed it and love the character!
Mandy Sherman
3 and 1/2 stars. This book was ok. Not the type of book I usually read. But I can't say there was anything wrong with the book.
Andrea
Excellent series; great mysteries solved by Torie while she juggles family life, town characters and her museums.
Rebecca
i enjoy these mystery books. they are about a geneologist who uses her knowledge of families to solve murder.

Carrie
This was the 11th in the Torie O'Shea mystery series and I really enjoyed it. It was a fun fluffy genealogist mystery.
Cozy Chair Book Club: The Blood Ballad - Oct/Nov 2013 2 4 Dec 13, 2013 06:37AM
Series of books 2 3 Aug 04, 2013 06:43AM
  • Death on the Family Tree (Family Tree, #1)
  • The Alpine Traitor (Emma Lord Mystery, #20)
  • The Body in the Bouillon (Faith Fairchild, #3)
  • Aunt Dimity, Vampire Hunter (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #13)
  • Gilt By Association (Den of Antiquity, #2)
  • Death Come Quickly (China Bayles, #22)
  • Shadow of an Angel (An Augusta Goodnight Mystery)
  • Ghost at Work (Bailey Ruth, #1)
  • Death at Buckingham Palace (Her Majesty Investigates #1)
  • High Heels are Murder (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #2)
  • Wedding Cake Killer (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #7)
  • Dead Men Don't Lye (A Soapmaking Mystery, #1)
  • Pure Temptation
  • St. Patrick's Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery #14)
  • A Murderous Yarn (A Needlecraft Mystery, #5)
  • Murder in Volume (Megan Clark, #1)
  • Death by the Light of the Moon (Claire Malloy, #7)
  • The Apostate's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #17)
Rett MacPherson was born in Saint Louis, Missouri, as Lauretta Allen. She is divorced with two daughters, and two cats, and is planing a May wedding to Joe Lange, an artist and musician, and her soul mate. She presently works as a customer service representative at a book wholesaler in Saint Louis.
More about Rett MacPherson...
Family Skeletons (Torie O'Shea, #1) A Comedy of Heirs (Torie O'Shea, #3) A Veiled Antiquity (Torie O'Shea, #2) A Misty Mourning (Torie O'Shea, #4) Died in the Wool (Torie O'Shea, #10)