Start by marking “Pascual and the Kitchen Angels” as Want to Read:
Pascual and the Kitchen Angels

Pascual and the Kitchen Angels

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  14 reviews
When Pascual is born, angels fly down and sing to him from the trees. When he sings to the sheep as a little boy, they sing back to him. But when Pascual joins the Franciscans, they send him to the kitchen. Pascual doesn’t know how to cook even a cup of beans! That’s when the kitchen angels fly down, and delicious dinners appear on the friars’ table night after night. Fina ...more
Published January 5th 2004 by Putnam Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Pascual and the Kitchen Angels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pascual and the Kitchen Angels

Patricia
This is the story of Pascual, the good and pious Spanish shepherd who joins the Franciscan monastery in Loreto. There he becomes the friars' cook. The only problem is that Pascual doesn't know how to cook. His solution? He prays, and while he prays, angels come and cook for him. Finally, the monks learn his secret and allow Pascual to go with them to feed the hungry.

This is a sweet retelling of the story of St. Pascual in true TdP style, and a good book to share with the young children in your l
Josiah
The pictures in this book represent, to me, some of the finest artwork that Tomie dePaola has created in any of his famous picture books. The book jacket says that the illustrations are closely reminiscent of the old style of Italian frescoes, and I most definitely agree with that statement. The subdued drawings in Pascual and the Kitchen Angles do have an unmistakable old Italian charm about them, and this reverently antiquated feel perfectly captures the thrust of Pascual's story.

Pascual is
Jean-Marie
I read this one to my 7- and 11-year old to complement our middle ages history lesson about monks of the Christian Church. This picture book biography tells the legend behind the kitchen angels of Saint Pascual Bailon, the shepherd boy turned friar, who is the patron saint of cooks and the kitchen.
Ruhama
Pascual is born with a flock of angels flying outside his house. His parents determine that God must love their little boy very much, and watch him grow up to be first a shepherd, and later a friar. All he wanted to do in life is feed the hungry, but the friars make him their cook, so he didn’t have time to go out with them. Unfortunately, another fly in the soup is Pascual doesn’t know how to cook! But he gets on his knees and prays, and while he is praying, angels come and cook for him. Eventu ...more
Skylar Burris
My daughter loves these legends by Tomie dePaola. We've mostly been reading the Indian ones. Although she was better able to relate to this one because it is closer to our own (Christian) tradition, I think it was a little too light to really captivate her. (She likes stories with a little darkness.) Nevertheless, she and I both enjoyed it, and she could relate to the child Pascual singing and praying with the lambs, since she does the same by "playing church" with her stuffed animals. I may cha ...more
Leslie
Found this second hand in mint condition. We inscribed it and gave it to one of the girls for Christmas without reading it. I was so happy when I read the story. . . .a child born to a faith filled couple who is simple and decides to give himself to God as a brother. When he is assigned as the kitchen cook, the angels come to his aid. Of course, it is based on a true story which makes it even more charming. It wasn't until I had read it a few more times that I realized that the book was SIGNED b ...more
Anna
Ages 4-8

A beautiful story about the patron saint of cooks and the kitchen. This is a good book to edcuate about Spainish and Latin cultures. The book does have religious basis, so one might want to double check with his or her administration before it is used in the classroom. However, it would be perfect for a Christian school or to recommend to a student with Mexican heritage.

Uses: service, faith, giving, helping the needy, feeding the poor.
Jenn
I am already a huge fan of Tomie dePaola's writing and his artwork, so of course I love this book. It is a sweet story/legend of Saint Pascual. I also like how dePaola adds the real story of the saint on the last page.

It is a brightly colored book with a nice stroy about a boy who sees angels and wants to help the poor. Excellent story for children and enjoyable for adults.
Lesley
I was totally charmed by this book! Love the illustrations, and the story of the boy who tends the sheep and then goes to the monastery to feed the poor, but ends up "cooking" for the monks--cute! I got a big kick out of the whole "kitchen angel" thing, and the explanation in the back of the book says Pascuel actually is the patron saint of the kitchen and cooks! Who knew?! (Not me!)
Leigh
Who knew good food is cooked by angels? I didn't know that and neither does the hero of this picture book, Pascual. He wants to be a monk, but the monks want him as their cook, never mind that he can't boil water. So, angels help him out. A cute story and great illustrations.
Mrs Bond
Pascual has been blessed by God. His family sends him to a monastery where the monks ask him to prepare dinner. Pascual doesn't know how to boil water. He prays and angels prepare the meal. Author's note includes biography on Pascual, the patron saint of cooks and the kitchen.
Rebecca
Pasqual is a monk who lives in the kitchen, but he doesn't cook. He prays and the kitchen angels prepare the food. The other monks see the angels and so they olet Pascual go feed the poor with them.
Victoria Binkerd
Who doesn't love Tomie DePaola?! The story is so lovely. dePaola's style is so distinctive and he never disappoints. I sure wish I had a kitchen angel!
Kristin
Totally cute book about the patron saint of cooks. He can't cook--so angels cook for him. Just cute.
Marlena
Marlena marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Rachael Teel
Rachael Teel marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Alex
Alex added it
Nov 04, 2014
Carli
Carli added it
Sep 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Tomie dePaola (pronounced Tommy da-POW-la) is best known for his books for children.
He's been published for 40 years and has written and/or illustrated over 200 books, including 26 Fairmount Avenue, Strega Nona, and Meet the Barkers.
Tomie dePaola and his work have been recognized with the Caldecott Honor Award, the Newbery Honor Award and the New Hampshire Governor's Arts Award of Living Treasure.
More about Tomie dePaola...
Strega Nona The Legend of the Bluebonnet The Legend of the Indian Paintbrush The Art Lesson Nana Upstairs and Nana Downstairs