Start by marking “The Devil's Workshop” as Want to Read:
The Devil's Workshop

The Devil's Workshop

3.44  ·  Rating Details  ·  221 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Stacy Richardson is a feisty microbiology graduate student at the University of Southern California. In the middle of her final exams, she receives tragic news that her husband, who is also head of the microbiology department, has committed suicide while on sabbatical at a super-secret bio-weapons program in Fort Detrick, Maryland. Known by insiders as "The Devil's Worksho ...more
Published August 18th 1999 by William Morrow (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil's Workshop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil's Workshop

Space
Apr 10, 2013 Space rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel is one of my favorites by this author so far. You could tell he really did his research about train lines and hobos and their intricate system of communicating through symbols on bridges and whatnot. It poses a very interesting look into the life of a hobo riding the rails for a living.

The protag learns her father, who works at a secret bio-weapons site in Maryland, has committed suicide. She takes matters and the investigation into her own hands, and teams up with two hobos somehow -
Elias Zamarron
The Devil's Workshop consist of 3 main characters, Stacy Richardson the widow looking for evidence disproving her husbands suicide, Lucky a hobo with drinking problems and just barely making it by, and Dr. Dexter DeMille a suicidal confused scientist and one main protagonist the Admiral Zoll along with his Captains that follow his every order and although none of the main characters have met each other they have all had problems because of the protagonist's and his twisted plot. Conspiracy, secr ...more
Dianna
Feb 08, 2015 Dianna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
good but hard to follow and rambled a bit.
Collin Starks
Apr 17, 2009 Collin Starks is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
The Devil's Workshop is a book that I am currently reading at a snail's pace, in which a Mosquito carried pathogen escapes and threatens the world. And during all of this, a woman's husband (who was inadvertently helping to make the deadly prions), "kills himself," investigates his death and is convinced that it was not suicide. And there are crazy rebels in the mountains next to the testing site that want to have a revolution in the American government.
Ari
Jul 09, 2008 Ari rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
apart from the character of Stacy (mentioning another gender issues here :D ) that I like, this book was taking a long time to finish.. mainly because of the plot. Three stories intertwined to one. Though it must be noted that Cannel has assured that terrorism through religion does not happen only in Islam (big laugh.. that is). So that is one good point.
Davehk
Jan 18, 2009 Davehk rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Comparing this to "Three Shirt Deal" shows exactly how a person's writing skills can grow over a decade.

Like Vince Flynn in his most recent book, this guy is trying to exorcise some demons. Like Vince Flynn in his most recent book, this guy fails.

Good story but, ultimately, clumsy and unbalanced.
Katie
I love Stephen J. Cannell to pieces. But I just couldn't get into the story. The main character, Stacy, annoyed me, and all the sciencey stuff just went right over my head.
It's like Angels and Demons all over again -_-
And I feel so stupid for not understanding it. Blahh.
Alexis
Sep 05, 2013 Alexis rated it liked it
I thought it was a very good story from start to finish. I do wish the ending was somewhat different. I don't remember it that well cause I finished it a while back but I feel like thier could of been more.
Charles
Dec 11, 2012 Charles rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
It was pretty good. I'd say three and a half stars. Fast moving in general, although there were a few slow spots. Characters were pretty good, although none really stood out for you to get to know.
Karen Patin
Good action and I liked the science element. A good choice for some quick reading.
Julie
Jan 18, 2009 Julie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Devil's Workshop: A Novel by Stephen J. Cannell (2000)
Carol
Nov 16, 2013 Carol marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Read this years ago. Won't waste my time...
Kathryn
Jul 06, 2013 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
sort of a weak ending, but good
John
Nov 25, 2008 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody
Shelves: novels
Cannell is obviously a TV writer. The book starts out with a lot of promise. A deadly disease on the loose, a dead virologist, a grieving and very angry wife, evil army conspirators, and hobos on a mission, a selfish movie mogul seeking swalvation. Lots of different stories to tell, but as the book winds its way along, Cannell begins to let major plots and characters fall along the way.
The tie in between Max, the dead virologist and husband of Stacy and the bad guys drops away as does the tie
Vicki Robinson
Jan 09, 2008 Vicki Robinson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thought provoking!
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Linda
Linda added it
Jan 24, 2016
Martha
Martha added it
Jan 28, 2016
Peg Schoenfelder
Peg Schoenfelder marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
amfsp
amfsp added it
Jan 17, 2016
adunola henry
adunola henry marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Art
Art marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Vicki Hill
Vicki Hill rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2016
  • The Natanz Directive (Jake Conlan #1)
  • Hard Target (Gideon Davis, #2)
  • The Shadows of Power
  • The Omega Theory (Final Theory, #2)
  • Death Row (Ben Kincaid, #12)
  • Lords of Corruption
  • Die Twice (David Trevellyan, #2)
  • Ghost Dancer
  • Mixed Blood: A Thriller
  • Sentinel (Spycatcher, #2)
  • Tempting Fate
  • Jake Ransom and the Howling Sphinx
  • Performance Anomalies
  • Hardware (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #6)
  • Crashers
  • Black sand
  • Agent X (Steve Vail, #2)
  • The Shadow Patrol (John Wells, #6)
Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievment award) in 1994.

An Emmy award-winning writer/producer and Chairman of Cannell Studios, Cannell overcame severe dyslexia to become one of television's most prolific writers. In a highly successful career that spans three decades, he created or co-created more than 40 shows, of which he has scripted more than 450 episodes and produced or execu
More about Stephen J. Cannell...