Start by marking “Guys (Cerebus, #11)” as Want to Read:
Guys (Cerebus, #11)

Guys (Cerebus #11)

Reprinting Cerebus Issues 201-219

Dave Sim looks at life in a pub as the male patrons interact. Lots of guest stars from previous Cerebus books appear: Mick & Keef, Bear, and others. This book will make you think about platonic friendships between males and their relationships with women. Shows some insight into the Cirinist regime that has been set up and how Cerebus d
Published October 1st 1997 by Aardvark-Vanheim (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Guys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guys

Kathryn
Apr 09, 2009 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Fair warning, this is a long review here...

I was so disappointed to read “The Male Light and the Female Void” and “Tangents” in earlier books in the Cerebus series (plus a lot of what Sim has written to back up these “truths”). Partly because it’s a little disconcerting to be told that as a female my sole purpose is to drain the spark of life from men, and partly because it’s not very likely that re-reading the more confusing parts of the series will produce that Alan-Moore-type “ah HA” moment w
Raymond
Jun 21, 2017 Raymond rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1990s
It's just boring. Basically, a parade of copies and parodies of various comic booky people meander in and out of the bar while Cerebus has abstract drunken interludes. And manly men grouse about womanly women. The drunk bits aren't nearly weird enough to be interesting and the stereotypes are so removed from reality that it kills the humor. So, we're left with 400 pages of comic book industry in-jokes. Meh.
Dan
Sep 25, 2016 Dan rated it really liked it
There's a job. It's a big job. You've had it planned for years, decades. You've been labouring at it day in day out for all that time, patiently putting one brick on top of another, building bit by bit, always keeping the end goal in mind. What do you do when you've finished? I reckon you'd fancy a drink. That's what Dave does here, as Cerebus' wish from the end of Minds is granted and he finds himself back in that near tavern near the wall of Tsi.

We saw these taverns back in Women, places wher
Luc
Oct 15, 2016 Luc rated it did not like it
After being a mercenary, a prime minister, a pope and ascending to the heavens, Cerebus is back in Estarcion. After all these adventures, one might wonder what Dave "Asshat" Sim has in mind for our hero's next epic journey.

Well, turns out Cerebus will spend the whole book hangin' with his buds in a bar. He will get drunk and spend some time with friends until their wives come and fuck it all up, of course.

Dave Sim has gone on record again and again about how women are basically "homosexualizing"
The_Mad_Swede
Nov 22, 2009 The_Mad_Swede rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, sim-dave, 2009
Collecting issues # 201–219 of Dave Sim's 300 issues limited series Cerebus the Aardvark, this volume follows the events of the four volume story arc Mothers & Daughters ( Flight , Women , Reads , Minds ) and we find Cerebus at a bar in Estarcion. This is after his cataclysmic meeting with Dave (the Writer) and Estarcion is under Cirinist rule. Unwedded men are kept in bars until such a time as they would marry. While sexual activities involving women (for other purposes than the making o ...more
Emiliano Carrasco
Jan 18, 2010 Emiliano Carrasco rated it really liked it
Cerebus ha sido una de las series que más me ha influenciado en mi decisión por dedicarme al dibujo. No es que haya sido la primera que leí (ni mucho menos), pero el estilo en que estaba narrado y la manera de representar personajes e historia a través de arte secuencial en la manera en que lo hace Dave Sim (al menos hasta este libro) es inspiradora. Empezando a leer Cerebus el año pasado hizo que decidiera que, sin importar si me dedicaba a la animación o a cualquier otra cosa, haría historieta ...more
Sean Samonas
Mar 03, 2013 Sean Samonas rated it did not like it
YOU FOOLS! You had to do it, didn't you? You kept reading! Well, here we are and I bet you wish you had listened to me, didn't you?

If you are the particular brand of crazy that enjoyed Guys, I really wish I could view the world through your eyes. Cause man, this is some of the most boring crap I've ever seen. I can't...I can't even begin to describe why this fails on so many levels.

One, the written dialect. It is incredibly difficult and hard to decipher written dialect. It is even harder in com
Christian Lipski
Jun 14, 2008 Christian Lipski rated it liked it
Some interesting ideas about the "free alcohol/free food" taverns, and about the social structure created by the Cirinists. Looks at the way "guys" talk with each other. And about how Dave Sim seems to love to draw his men with buff bodies, even when they spend years hanging out drinking free booze and not working. Cameos by other comic characters, including Too Much Coffee Man and plenty that I didn't recognize.

And then a whole hell of a lot about how women are devious controlling creatures wh
Joseph
Feb 18, 2008 Joseph rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: comic fans and drunks
Shelves: graphic-novels
Mercenary, Prime Minister, Pope, zonked out doll holding cafe patron, Cerebus has done it all. In "Guys", the 11th book in the series, Cerebus goes back to the Wall of Tsi and hangs out in a bar where he becomes the de facto bartender. Ruminating over things, serving (and drinking) ale, and just being his cheery self; I found this book to be one of the strongest in the series. Many people find this one (along with "Rick's Story") too long and pointless, but sit down and think of the times you sp ...more
Robert
Jul 26, 2011 Robert rated it liked it
After the first two Cerebus volumes, the quality starts to dip but there are some volumes which are interesting. Guys is one of the better ones. The whole comic takes place in a bar and Cerebus starts to reflect on his behaviour. The celebrity cameos are great - three stooges, Marty Feldman, the Beatles and even Margaret Thatcher make an appearance. It's also quite funny. But again Sims has a habit of over philosophising until the message becomes muddled and it happens here. But compared to prev ...more
Jesse
Jun 26, 2007 Jesse rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
When I embarked through the Cerebus series I had no idea what sort of ups and downs I was in store for. Just when the series had me believing that the world was a horrible place, this chapter came along and restored my faith in my fellow guys. Also, since I sort of have my own neighborhood bar, I recognize a lot of things from this book in the real world.
Dr. Barrett  Dylan Brown, Phd
Nov 29, 2008 Dr. Barrett Dylan Brown, Phd rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comix
This graphic novel has moved me to tears so many times. I have given it as a gift more times than one. This story is meant for Guys, hence the title, and has something for every man to sypathise with.
Nfpendleton
Jul 09, 2011 Nfpendleton rated it did not like it
Practically unreadable. Sim, a master cartoonist, uses all of his well-honed techniques but in the most annoying ways possible. Is he daring the reader to finish this volume? While not the lowest point in the Cerebus saga, it's pretty well down there in the muck.
Chris
Mar 22, 2007 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Still no plot, but Cerebus is back from the abstract nether-world and once again surrounded by Sims fantastic characters. People talk, relationships form and are broken off, and its a good read.
Mark
Jan 31, 2015 Mark rated it liked it
Simple, effective story with fantastic art. The accents and cameos get tiring.
Michael
Aug 17, 2010 Michael rated it it was ok
This book contains a lot of drunken dialect and is therefore quite hard to read, also the subject matter throughout was rather uninteresting.
Ben Schaffer
Nov 30, 2014 Ben Schaffer rated it liked it
False
Brendan
Jul 30, 2011 Brendan rated it it was amazing
a welcome return to the older, funnier cerebus. i hope to waste a couple two three years of my life in a bar like this someday.
Ron
Aug 02, 2011 Ron rated it it was amazing
The plot doesn't advance much and the tone is fairly light for a set piece involving guys doing alot of drinking and brooding, but it is a welcome return to form after a few disappointing years.
Matt
Sep 27, 2016 Matt rated it liked it
Back to form I guess?
Robert Hudder
Nov 26, 2013 Robert Hudder rated it really liked it
For some odd reason, I liked this episode. Not much else to say right now.
Douglas Koehne
Douglas Koehne rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2011
Debbie
Debbie rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2014
Jason Stewart
Jason Stewart rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2015
Isaac
Isaac rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2012
John Pacer
John Pacer rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2014
katherine drake
katherine drake rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2012
Andrés
Andrés rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2016
Justin
Justin rated it did not like it
Jun 19, 2014
Milton
Milton rated it it was ok
Apr 21, 2016
  • Bacchus, Vol. 1: Immortality Isn't Forever
  • Nothing Nice to Say
  • Four Women
  • Hard Boiled
David Victor Sim is a Canadian comic book writer and artist, best known as the creator of Cerebus the Aardvark.
More about Dave Sim...

Cerebus (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Cerebus (Cerebus, #1)
  • High Society (Cerebus, #2)
  • Church and State I (Cerebus, #3)
  • Church and State II (Cerebus, #4)
  • Jaka's Story (Cerebus, #5)
  • Melmoth (Cerebus, #6)