Start by marking “Flight (Cerebus, #7)” as Want to Read:
Flight (Cerebus, #7)

Flight (Cerebus #7)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  554 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Reprinting Cerebus Issues 151-162

The counterpoint to the impressive foundation of the two-volume, 1,200-page Church & State is the equally impressive, equally complex Mothers & Daughters, the first volume of which is Flight. This graphic novel concerns the fight between the newly established matriarchy and the opposing "daughterarchy." Cerebus, trying to regain the
Published January 1st 1993 by Aardvark-Vanheim

To ask other readers questions about Flight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flight

I decided to give Cerebus a re-read, but rather than start from the beginning I thought I'd start at volume 7. I've read the first 6 volumes several times, but I always stop at Melmoth. The ensuing volumes become increasingly challenging in a variety of ways.
I recall thinking I was really lost at some point in the latter stories and carried on due in most part to inertia and determination.

Someday I would really like to do an extended analysis of the themes and symbolism in these works. Mostly
Part 1 of the Mothers & Daughters story (Flight, Women, Reads and Minds make up the whole thing). This was supposed to be the big one that tied up all the loose ends and mysteries in the series (spoiler: it doesn't) and paved the way for the final 100 issues.

This particular volume in of itself is quite good, it's just hard re-reading it, knowing that it's all going to crash and burn in the next three volumes. Dave Sim said in an interview that each volume of this story should clear up the my
Sean Samonas
Here we start to see the plot re-emerge from the brief biography of Oscar Wilde. There isn't a whole lot to say about this one...things start to get interesting again because things are happening with Cerebus.

It's a pretty simple formula, but one that seems to elude Dave Sims throughout the series. I bought the book because the title was "Cerebus". If you show me Cerebus doing things, I will be happy. Because that is why I bought the book.

However, Dave seems more and more obsessed with making su
Starts a four-book arc that is in many ways the best and the worst of Cerebus. I'm a completist, so I can't help but read the text portions along with the comics. The latter are among the best in the thirty-year, three hundred issue series. The former are distinctly uncomfortable. This is where Dave Sim starts to lay out the misogynist philosophy that eventually took over the later parts of Cerebus. It's ugly, and written with enough coherence to be particularly unsettling.

What's bizarre is that
After an initial Cerebus-gone-berserk-on-Cirinists bloodbath, which constitutes a welcome fast-paced straightforward action sequence after the excruciatingly slow-motion of "Melmoth", the plot fragments into many alternating threads that don't connect very well. There is Cerbus ascending through several spheres and playing chess with what I believe is supposed to be Tarim; there's comic-relief in the panels concerned with a sexually repressed Punisher-Roach and Elrod, there's a religious conflic ...more
this was going well until the central character sort of wandered off into a black screen for too long. i dunno.
Collecting issues # 151–162 of Dave Sim's 300 issues limited series Cerebus the Aardvark and being the first part of four in the Mothers & Daughters story arc, this volume returns to main action once more. The political intrigues in the Cirinist state and the opposition brewing under the surface all come back to the foreground. Cerebus' himself returns as does a lot of the supporting cast of recurrent characters, including the Cockroach. All in all, a very promising opening to this four part ...more
Gordon McAlpin
At some point here or shortly thereafter, Dave Sim basically lost his shit. He lost a lot of interest in drawing comics, too, judging from the interminable, self-indulgent prose pieces that he began to increasingly overuse in his books.

I kept hoping the series would return to the glory of High Society and Church & State. It never did.
The begining of the end - oh, Sims still had thousands of pages left to write, but Cerebus was wandering as Sims became - how should I put it lightly? - a wack job. The plot wobbles, Cerebus somehow ends up in outer-space, and things get weird. Really, really weird.
Garrick Dietze
A distinct tonal shift from "Melmoth" A lot of characters are moved around the board here to allow for more commentary from Sim. Still tackling issues but not with nearly enough humour as was evident in High Society and Church and State.
Robert Hudder
This first episode in the Women arc doesn't seem too vitriolic but the roach bit did seem a little misogynistic. Have to see the rest of the arc to see just how bad this gets.
i don't necessarily agree with a lot of the viewpoints behind "mothers and daughters," but this is a damn fine storyline, and "flight" is a great first volume of it.
Christian Lipski
He's back, and in full barbarian mode. Also included are a ton of schizophrenic symbols and abstruse happenings. Many old characters return.
After spinning his wheels unpleasantly during Melmoth, Sim seems reinvigorated during this period of his story.
Mike Horne
This one was super weird. I am probably going to have to read the whole series. I really don't get it.
Excellent collection
Andrew Williams
Andrew Williams marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Josh marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
  • Zot!: The Complete Black-and-White Collection: 1987-1991
  • McSweeney's #13
  • Miracleman, Vol. 3: Olympus
  • Dreams of the Rarebit Fiend
  • Mage: The Hero Discovered (Mage: The Hero Discovered #1-15)
  • Weathercraft
  • The Absolute Authority, Vol. 1
  • The Fate of the Artist
  • The Adventures of Barry Ween, Boy Genius 4: Gorilla Warfare
David Victor Sim is a Canadian comic book writer and artist, best known as the creator of Cerebus the Aardvark.
More about Dave Sim...

Cerebus (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Cerebus (Cerebus, #1)
  • High Society (Cerebus, #2)
  • Church and State I (Cerebus, #3)
  • Church and State II (Cerebus, #4)
  • Jaka's Story (Cerebus, #5)
  • Melmoth (Cerebus, #6)