Start by marking “Flight (Cerebus, #7)” as Want to Read:
Flight (Cerebus, #7)

Flight (Cerebus #7)

Reprinting Cerebus Issues 151-162

The counterpoint to the impressive foundation of the two-volume, 1,200-page Church & State is the equally impressive, equally complex Mothers & Daughters, the first volume of which is Flight. This graphic novel concerns the fight between the newly established matriarchy and the opposing "daughterarchy." Cerebus, trying to regain the
Published January 1st 1993 by Aardvark-Vanheim

To ask other readers questions about Flight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flight

Jason
Mar 02, 2008 Jason rated it it was amazing
I decided to give Cerebus a re-read, but rather than start from the beginning I thought I'd start at volume 7. I've read the first 6 volumes several times, but I always stop at Melmoth. The ensuing volumes become increasingly challenging in a variety of ways.
I recall thinking I was really lost at some point in the latter stories and carried on due in most part to inertia and determination.

Someday I would really like to do an extended analysis of the themes and symbolism in these works. Mostly
Hamish
Aug 27, 2011 Hamish rated it really liked it
Part 1 of the Mothers & Daughters story (Flight, Women, Reads and Minds make up the whole thing). This was supposed to be the big one that tied up all the loose ends and mysteries in the series (spoiler: it doesn't) and paved the way for the final 100 issues.

This particular volume in of itself is quite good, it's just hard re-reading it, knowing that it's all going to crash and burn in the next three volumes. Dave Sim said in an interview that each volume of this story should clear up the my
Ratiocination
Aug 01, 2007 Ratiocination rated it really liked it
Starts a four-book arc that is in many ways the best and the worst of Cerebus. I'm a completist, so I can't help but read the text portions along with the comics. The latter are among the best in the thirty-year, three hundred issue series. The former are distinctly uncomfortable. This is where Dave Sim starts to lay out the misogynist philosophy that eventually took over the later parts of Cerebus. It's ugly, and written with enough coherence to be particularly unsettling.

What's bizarre is that
Luc
Sep 13, 2015 Luc rated it really liked it
Much better than Melmoth, this book unfortunatelly ushers in golden age of Sim's asshatery. In the foreword, Sim claims that his views on feminism means that his average relationships only last 3 months. I'm sure it's just his views an not being a bordeline schizophrenic.

So Sim "enlightens" us with his views on feminism. Basically, a feminist is big telepathic bull dyke that thinks "penis" is a curse word and OR is a parody of a living politician (Thatcher and Copps). Men don't get it much bette
The_Mad_Swede
Feb 17, 2008 The_Mad_Swede rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, sim-dave, 2008
Collecting issues # 151–162 of Dave Sim's 300 issues limited series Cerebus the Aardvark and being the first part of four in the Mothers & Daughters story arc, this volume returns to main action once more. The political intrigues in the Cirinist state and the opposition brewing under the surface all come back to the foreground. Cerebus' himself returns as does a lot of the supporting cast of recurrent characters, including the Cockroach. All in all, a very promising opening to this four part ...more
Sean Samonas
Mar 03, 2013 Sean Samonas rated it liked it
Here we start to see the plot re-emerge from the brief biography of Oscar Wilde. There isn't a whole lot to say about this one...things start to get interesting again because things are happening with Cerebus.

It's a pretty simple formula, but one that seems to elude Dave Sims throughout the series. I bought the book because the title was "Cerebus". If you show me Cerebus doing things, I will be happy. Because that is why I bought the book.

However, Dave seems more and more obsessed with making su
Felix
Feb 16, 2009 Felix rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
After an initial Cerebus-gone-berserk-on-Cirinists bloodbath, which constitutes a welcome fast-paced straightforward action sequence after the excruciatingly slow-motion of "Melmoth", the plot fragments into many alternating threads that don't connect very well. There is Cerbus ascending through several spheres and playing chess with what I believe is supposed to be Tarim; there's comic-relief in the panels concerned with a sexually repressed Punisher-Roach and Elrod, there's a religious conflic ...more
John
Jan 29, 2017 John rated it really liked it
As others have said, this volume brings mixed feelings for those of us who have read all the way to the end.
Reading it month on month ( when the release schedule allowed) this felt like a return to form, much more like C & S than the previous two volumes.
it is pacy, exciting and witty in ways that gave me great hope for the later volumes.

Sadly however it also contains the seeds of weaknesses that mar the later books.
Sim still writes interesting stories about women and creates great female ch
Ed Erwin
Oct 03, 2016 Ed Erwin rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
The story begins to pick up again after the very static previous volume. Some of the many loose ends from earlier volumes begin to come together, but many more mysteries remain. (From what I've heard, most never will be really resolved.) Some parts leave me scratching my head too much, but the parts that take place down in the city states (rather than in some heavenly realm) are still quite interesting.
Gordon McAlpin
Sep 01, 2010 Gordon McAlpin rated it liked it
At some point here or shortly thereafter, Dave Sim basically lost his shit. He lost a lot of interest in drawing comics, too, judging from the interminable, self-indulgent prose pieces that he began to increasingly overuse in his books.

I kept hoping the series would return to the glory of High Society and Church & State. It never did.
Garrick Dietze
Nov 08, 2013 Garrick Dietze rated it really liked it
A distinct tonal shift from "Melmoth" A lot of characters are moved around the board here to allow for more commentary from Sim. Still tackling issues but not with nearly enough humour as was evident in High Society and Church and State.
Chris
Mar 22, 2007 Chris rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
The begining of the end - oh, Sims still had thousands of pages left to write, but Cerebus was wandering as Sims became - how should I put it lightly? - a wack job. The plot wobbles, Cerebus somehow ends up in outer-space, and things get weird. Really, really weird.
Ben Schaffer
Nov 30, 2014 Ben Schaffer rated it liked it
False
Robert
Jul 26, 2011 Robert rated it liked it
The first part of the Mothers and Daughters arc. Cerebus tries to stage a revolution then fails. Not the best of the series.
Christian Lipski
Jun 01, 2008 Christian Lipski rated it really liked it
He's back, and in full barbarian mode. Also included are a ton of schizophrenic symbols and abstruse happenings. Many old characters return.
Brendan
Jul 30, 2011 Brendan rated it really liked it
i don't necessarily agree with a lot of the viewpoints behind "mothers and daughters," but this is a damn fine storyline, and "flight" is a great first volume of it.
Robert Hudder
Sep 27, 2013 Robert Hudder rated it it was ok
This first episode in the Women arc doesn't seem too vitriolic but the roach bit did seem a little misogynistic. Have to see the rest of the arc to see just how bad this gets.
Mike Horne
Oct 13, 2012 Mike Horne rated it it was ok
This one was super weird. I am probably going to have to read the whole series. I really don't get it.
Robert
Jan 04, 2009 Robert rated it really liked it
Excellent collection
bluetyson
isbn,original
Ron
Aug 02, 2011 Ron rated it it was amazing
After spinning his wheels unpleasantly during Melmoth, Sim seems reinvigorated during this period of his story.
Mark
Jan 31, 2015 Mark rated it it was ok
this was going well until the central character sort of wandered off into a black screen for too long. i dunno.
Mobaltz
Mobaltz rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2013
Anasia
Anasia rated it did not like it
Nov 24, 2016
Nick
Nick rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2011
Ed
Ed rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2012
Whit Compton
Whit Compton rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2012
Andrew Boscardin
Andrew Boscardin rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2009
Shadowdenizen
Shadowdenizen rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2015
Mike Battaglia
Mike Battaglia rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2015
  • Miracleman, Book Three: Olympus
  • The Fate of the Artist
  • Epicurus: The Sage
  • The Adventures of Barry Ween, Boy Genius 4: Gorilla Warfare
David Victor Sim is a Canadian comic book writer and artist, best known as the creator of Cerebus the Aardvark.
More about Dave Sim...

Cerebus (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Cerebus (Cerebus, #1)
  • High Society (Cerebus, #2)
  • Church and State I (Cerebus, #3)
  • Church and State II (Cerebus, #4)
  • Jaka's Story (Cerebus, #5)
  • Melmoth (Cerebus, #6)