Start by marking “Drawing lessons from the great masters” as Want to Read:
Drawing lessons from the great masters

Drawing lessons from the great masters

4.04  ·  Rating Details ·  6,730 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
A book whose sales have not diminished but rather increased dramatically since its publication 45 years ago, this bestselling classic is the ultimate manual of drawing taught by the late Robert Beverly Hale, who�s famed lectures and classes at New York City�s Art Student League captivated artists and art educators from around the world.

Faithfully producing and methodic
Published June 1st 1964 by Pitman

Parka

(More pictures at parkablogs.com)

Drawing Lessons From the Great Masters is an art book that teaches by looking at the art fundamentals used by great art masters themselves — Michelangelo, Leonardo Da Vinci, Rodin, Goya, Rembrandt, among others.

There are 100 master drawings analysed by Robert Beverly Hale on the fundamentals such as line, light and planes, mass, position and thrust, and anatomy. These are all figure drawings. Each illustration is printed full on one page with a certain section s
Martha Smith
Jul 04, 2014 Martha Smith rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
As a student of art and art history, I was disappointed in how few photographs and drawings the book contained. There were a few illustrations. The title of the book was misleading. I would have like to have seen multiple drawings in color by the masters. As a student it helps to see examples of art principles clearly demonstrated. I feel this book missed the mark. I have read numerous books that did a better job of illustrating the principals in art. Therefore, this book was not that helpful to ...more
Rachel Woodward
Sep 22, 2012 Rachel Woodward rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This was a very helpful guide on drawing and I learned much about how to approach my own drawing studies. It includes drawings in various stages of finish from a wide variety of Greats such as da Vinci, Durer, Titian, Rembrandt, Degas, and many more. Full page illustrations were each followed with an analysis by Robert Beverly Hale complete with a smaller version of the artwork, labeled for easy reference.

The forward is by Jacob Collins, one of the leading realist artists working today. He foun
Carol Tensen
Mar 18, 2017 Carol Tensen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
Drawing Lessons From the Great Masters has remained in print since the 1960s. Robert Gale came up with an ambitious goal for an art instruction book, using drawing from the old masters to illustrate various lessons about drawing. The book is divided into topics, such as line, mass, anatomy, and after each explanation he shows several examples. And what fine examples they are. I was particularly pleased to see so many drawings by Andrea Del Sarto.

Gale's concept and organization are far better th
Genesis.P.Gates
Jun 21, 2017 Genesis.P.Gates rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a little bit advanced.
It guides readers to analyze and appreciated masterpieces from artist and lessons reader why the drawings are good and how to learn.

It introduces concepts such as line, light and planes, mass, position, and directions. All these are extremely useful as a systematic way to understand drawings.
Dreams
Mar 21, 2017 Dreams rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eric Aguirre
Feb 05, 2017 Eric Aguirre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
Libro magistral sobre la figura humana. Analiza los dibujos y bocetos de maestros tales como Rembrandt, Da Vinci, Degas, Goya, Miguel Ángel, Durero, Cambiaso y Rafael entre otros.

Empieza con la primicia de que todos los grandes maestros utilizaban el cílindro, el cubo, el circulo y el triángulo para poder construir cualquier figura humana. La forma del huevo es la clave para poder hacer la caja torácica.

Todos los artistas tienen que tener un conocimiento minucioso sobre la estructura ósea del
Filomena
Although I am a beginner in drawing nude, I enjoyed this book very much and learnt from it.
It does not show how to study, practice drawing.
It analyzes drawings by great masters: how they shown proportion, head movement, volume, shadow, movement of a body, grace etc etc. Each page has one drawing, first page describes the drawing - where and what to look for in it, second page shows the drawing being analyzed.

Big issue that I have with this book is, some of the small drawings on the first page s
Charlene
Jul 07, 2016 Charlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this unusual book and used it as the starting point for a course I taught in improving drawing by studying the masters. I like that the language and some of the ideas are a bit outdated as it underscores the evolution of ideas about art and technique. Overall it is interesting, insightful and a good book for any artist to study.
Kevin de Ataíde
Oct 31, 2012 Kevin de Ataíde rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
A very basic primer in drawing based on classical techniques and the work of the great masters, usually the post-Renaissance Italian masters. The material is very basic, going through the primaries of line, form, shade and structures, but the real gold is the simplified analysis of master drawings. An interesting book and worth a look through. Four stars, not five.
Marjorie Elwood
May 05, 2014 Marjorie Elwood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
Initially, this seemed like a basic "how to" drawing book, using solely lines, but Hale continued to develop the nuances of drawing through examination of drawings by masters. Eventually, he looks at all of the facets of a drawing and details what you can learn from the problems that the great artists resolved. A fascinating book.
Jessica
Sep 04, 2008 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. Mine copy is worn and loved. Even if you have been doing art for quite some time, there is so much to learn by studying the works in this book. I think ever visual artist should keep a copy and experiment with it.
Ray
Oct 02, 2015 Ray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author shows how the great artists created the illusion of three dimensions on a two dimensional surface with their drawings. This is a great book for not only art students but those who want to appreciate art more.
Annie
Mar 15, 2008 Annie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: artdrawing
It has a good basic over view of everything ones needs to know for the basics of drawing. But I dont think it breaks the steps down well enough or analyze each area but it also does give good examples of artwork.
Michelle
Jul 25, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-instruction
I am still going through this book, but I absolutely love the in-depth analysis and tips and advice for the artists. Ever since I got a glimpse of Robert Beverly Hale's lectures, I knew he was a gold mind of information. A pity that he passed away.
Justin
Wow, a master class in the fundamentals and application of drawing with examples from the World's great masters.

Learning to Draw, Line, Light and Planes, Mass, Position Thrust or Direction, Artistic Anatomy, and Driving all the Horses at Once.
Makingamark
Sep 19, 2011 Makingamark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those wanting to develop advanced drawing skills
One of the standard "must have" books for people wanting to understand more about classical drawing and what the drawings of the great artists looked like
Michael Mentler
Apr 13, 2013 Michael Mentler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic... Read it a least 6 times! Reading it again now... New meaning with each reading
Jedkimball
Great introduction to figure drawing concepts
RLance Garcia
Mar 21, 2010 RLance Garcia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books of all time. Brilliant.
HELLO
Jun 01, 2012 HELLO rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
must read for artists and aspiring artists alike. contained within is a lifetime's worth of artistic wisdom and 100 plates to copy and practice from
Apryl Anderson
I'm not keen on the text, but the reproductions are excellent.
Adhan Jorghi
Adhan Jorghi rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2013
Yacob
Yacob rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2016
Amine
Amine rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2016
Hentel
Hentel rated it liked it
May 19, 2014
Yvonne
Yvonne rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2014
Jackson Peter
Jackson Peter rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2017
Nehal Galal
Nehal Galal rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Manvitha Kolipaka
Manvitha Kolipaka rated it it was ok
Aug 02, 2014
  • The Practice and Science of Drawing
  • Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing From Life: Over 1,000 Illustrations
  • Figure Drawing: Design and Invention
  • Drawing and Painting Fantasy Landscapes and Cityscapes
  • Drawing Dynamic Hands
  • Lessons in Classical Drawing: Essential Techniques from Inside the Atelier
  • The Artist's Complete Guide to Facial Expression
  • Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist (Galaxy Books)
  • Keys to Drawing with Imagination: Strategies and Exercises for Gaining Confidence and Enhancing Creativity
  • The Artist's Complete Guide to Figure Drawing: A Contemporary Master Reveals the Secrets of Drawing the Human Form
  • Drawing the Head and Figure
  • Drawing Realistic Textures in Pencil
  • Sketch Book for the Artist
  • Drawing the Head and Hands
  • The Artist's Handbook of Materials and Techniques
  • How to Draw What You See (Practical Art Books)
  • Classic Human Anatomy: The Artist's Guide to Form, Function, and Movement