Start by marking “Drawing lessons from the great masters” as Want to Read:
Drawing lessons from the great masters

Drawing lessons from the great masters

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  4,814 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A book whose sales have not diminished but rather increased dramatically since its publication 45 years ago, this bestselling classic is the ultimate manual of drawing taught by the late Robert Beverly Hale, whoâs famed lectures and classes at New York Cityâs Art Student League captivated artists and art educators from around the world.

Faithfully producing and methodically
Published June 1st 1964 by Pitman

Parka

(More pictures at parkablogs.com)

Drawing Lessons From the Great Masters is an art book that teaches by looking at the art fundamentals used by great art masters themselves — Michelangelo, Leonardo Da Vinci, Rodin, Goya, Rembrandt, among others.

There are 100 master drawings analysed by Robert Beverly Hale on the fundamentals such as line, light and planes, mass, position and thrust, and anatomy. These are all figure drawings. Each illustration is printed full on one page with a certain section s
Martha Smith
As a student of art and art history, I was disappointed in how few photographs and drawings the book contained. There were a few illustrations. The title of the book was misleading. I would have like to have seen multiple drawings in color by the masters. As a student it helps to see examples of art principles clearly demonstrated. I feel this book missed the mark. I have read numerous books that did a better job of illustrating the principals in art. Therefore, this book was not that helpful to ...more
Rachel Ramm
This was a very helpful guide on drawing and I learned much about how to approach my own drawing studies. It includes drawings in various stages of finish from a wide variety of Greats such as da Vinci, Durer, Titian, Rembrandt, Degas, and many more. Full page illustrations were each followed with an analysis by Robert Beverly Hale complete with a smaller version of the artwork, labeled for easy reference.

The forward is by Jacob Collins, one of the leading realist artists working today. He foun
Kevin de Ataíde
A very basic primer in drawing based on classical techniques and the work of the great masters, usually the post-Renaissance Italian masters. The material is very basic, going through the primaries of line, form, shade and structures, but the real gold is the simplified analysis of master drawings. An interesting book and worth a look through. Four stars, not five.
Michelle
I am still going through this book, but I absolutely love the in-depth analysis and tips and advice for the artists. Ever since I got a glimpse of Robert Beverly Hale's lectures, I knew he was a gold mind of information. A pity that he passed away.
Jessica
I love this book. Mine copy is worn and loved. Even if you have been doing art for quite some time, there is so much to learn by studying the works in this book. I think ever visual artist should keep a copy and experiment with it.
Annie
It has a good basic over view of everything ones needs to know for the basics of drawing. But I dont think it breaks the steps down well enough or analyze each area but it also does give good examples of artwork.
Makingamark
Sep 19, 2011 Makingamark rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those wanting to develop advanced drawing skills
One of the standard "must have" books for people wanting to understand more about classical drawing and what the drawings of the great artists looked like
HELLO
must read for artists and aspiring artists alike. contained within is a lifetime's worth of artistic wisdom and 100 plates to copy and practice from
Luc
Aug 18, 2013 Luc added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: likes
If you're going to explore all the possibilities, I recommend that you learn from the best.
Michael Mentler
Classic... Read it a least 6 times! Reading it again now... New meaning with each reading
Apryl Anderson
I'm not keen on the text, but the reproductions are excellent.
RLance Garcia
One of my favorite books of all time. Brilliant.
Jedkimball
Great introduction to figure drawing concepts
Georgia Gayle
Georgia Gayle marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Rasheda E
Rasheda E marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Tara Inman
Tara Inman marked it as to-read
Butte
Butte added it
Karen Sliwinski
Karen Sliwinski marked it as to-read
Lorena
Lorena marked it as to-read
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
  • The Practice and Science of Drawing
  • Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing From Life: Over 1,000 Illustrations
  • Figure Drawing: Design And Invention
  • Drawing Dynamic Hands
  • Drawing the Head and Hands
  • How to Draw What You See
  • Drawing Realistic Textures in Pencil
  • The Artist's Complete Guide to Figure Drawing: A Contemporary Master Reveals the Secrets of Drawing the Human Form
  • Keys to Drawing with Imagination: Strategies and Exercises for Gaining Confidence and Enhancing Creativity
  • The Artist's Complete Guide to Facial Expression
  • Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist
  • Drawing the Head and Figure
  • The Artist's Handbook of Materials and Techniques
  • Classical Drawing Atelier: A Contemporary Guide to Traditional Studio Practice
  • Alla Prima: Everything I Know about Painting
  • Sketch Book for the Artist
  • Perspective! for Comic Book Artists: How to Achieve a Professional Look in your Artwork
Anatomy Lessons From the Great Masters The ELM at the Edge of the Earth Master Class in Figure Drawing: 25th Anniversary Edition Albinus on Anatomy Love on the Mountain: The Chronicle Journal of a Camaldolese Monk