Start by marking “Castles: Kingdom Divided / Alas My Love / If Only / Five Geese Flying” as Want to Read:
Castles: Kingdom Divided / Alas My Love / If Only / Five Geese Flying

Castles: Kingdom Divided / Alas My Love / If Only / Five Geese Flying (Castles #1-4)

Murder ... kidnapping...revenge. The "merrie old days" of the Middle Ages leave much to be desired for four women in England and France. None of them ever believed they'd be embroiled in such plots of devastation and danger. Can God rescue them from the emotional dungeons they face--and lower the drawbridges into the hearts of the men they love? Will the men seeking to con ...more
Published February 1st 2004 by Barbour Publishing, Incorporated

To ask other readers questions about Castles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Castles

May 19, 2007 Nikki rated it really liked it
rianne:She finds love in an arranged marriage made by her cruel father, but her new husband's past may cause some trouble.
Helena:Runs away from her cruel family and finds love in and safety in the arms of her knight.
Mary:She watches her father die, and continues on with the hard life she feels she has been given. Will love work out amidst all the sickness?
Jeanine:She is being forced to marry a cruel man to save her family from ruin when her life is in danger sill her knight rescue her in time?
Oct 23, 2014 Ruth rated it did not like it
I picked up this book because I really like almost all of Tracie's stuff. This collection of novellas is some of her early work, and her writing has definitely improved since then, since I was not very impressed with this book. It's a collection of 4 novellas, and the only thing that super interested me were women characters who practiced medicine even though it was against the law (in England in the 14th century). Not a recommended book.
Jun 26, 2008 Arya rated it really liked it
My personal favorite in this novella was the second novel. I loved Helena and Tancred (after the first story in which I was right there with Richard in hating him)! Of course how could I not also fall in love with the poor girl accused of witchcraft and Mary the physicians daughter! I loved every one of these enchanting and enthralling reads do not miss Tracie Peterson's best novella collection yet!
Jul 02, 2008 Kati rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Shannon, Mom
This book of 4 short novels was excellent -- I liked the first 3 the best. In the information about Tracie Peterson in the front of the book it mentions that she wrote her first novel under the pen name of Janelle Jamison ... I'll have to see if I can track that one down!
Carre Gardner
Sep 22, 2009 Carre Gardner rated it it was ok
Christian fiction disappoints again. The women in these 4 novellas are embarassing stereotypes of the 1970's Mills and Boone (Harlequin Romance) stripe: dainty and beautiful and helpless, they have a knack for keeling over in dead faints from shock or missed suppers. Their steely-chested knights are--in spite of what 14th-century history tells us to the contrary--always bathing and keeping themselves smelling delicious for those moments when they might need to catch a maiden in mid-swoon.

Two of
Kate Hummer
Kate Hummer rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2009
Jun 11, 2010 AlixJamie rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
Sep 24, 2010 Diane rated it liked it
These were great, quick stories for entertainment only. I really could get lost in the make-believe world.
Aug 03, 2011 Grace rated it really liked it
Liked being thrown back to the medieval times with knights and castles and damsels in distress who needed rescuing.
Mari rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2011
Aug 23, 2011 Lauren rated it it was amazing
A great book to read when you want to be uplifted and escape reality for a bit. I normally read really dark books, so this was quite a refreshing read. Will continue to fit some of her books in whenever I need a little lift.
This book consists of a collection of 4 short novellas set in Medieval England and 'France' (or more correctly Belgium/Holland under French control.

The first two are and best, though they are not entirely two 'separate' stories as the second is really the sequel to the first, which continues and wraps up much of what was left unresolved in it.
The plotline for these stories (especially the first) is more compelling and plausible, and some of the charcters are excellent. In an interesting twist
Hayley rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2012
Becky rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2012
Jun 07, 2013 Leah rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing book, all four of the stories were about maidens that even now, I could completely relate to!!
Oct 04, 2013 Robyn rated it really liked it
well written, it had a great storyline with strong, brave, and sacrificial woman characters. some people complained it was too happy and unlikly but I found these true love happy ending stories quite refreshing to reality
Alannie Marshall
Alannie Marshall rated it it was ok
Oct 09, 2013
Alyssa Dekleine
Alyssa Dekleine rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2014
Kristin rated it it was ok
Aug 04, 2014
Gwen Moeller
Gwen Moeller rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2014
Donna Bailey
Donna Bailey rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2014
Elizabeth Kargel
Elizabeth Kargel rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2014
Cherie Kasper
This book actually contains 4 different Novels, the first two have some of the same characters but all the stories stand alone. I have enjoyed reading Tracie Peterson for some time now and really enjoyed reading these 4 stories.
I felt like all the characters in each story were well rounded, exciting and very romantic. I always enjoy when a writer describes all the surrounding so well, it helps me to really get into the story and this book was no exception to that.
The romance in each story was gr
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2015
Apr 23, 2015 Judith rated it liked it
Tracie Peterson will never be my favorite author.While I was reading these books I felt like I was reading short stories. I did like some of the characters, but I did not especially like Mrs. Peterson's writing style. I also found the excessive Christian propaganda offensive.
Aug 04, 2015 Ellen rated it liked it
The one story I say avoid is Kingdom Divided. Its full of poor romance lacking character developing, and the antagonist is more like the VILLIAN
Kristine Morgan
Jul 21, 2015 Kristine Morgan rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading Castles by Tracie Peterson very much.Although it is a collection of some of her first novels, the stories were strong and I really liked the characters. I thought she did a very good job with the medieval time period and I would definitely enjoy reading more tales of this type.
Nov 25, 2015 Carol rated it it was amazing
These 4 stories of medieval England give a glimpse of what life was like for women at that time. It seems somewhat similar to the way women are treated in some Muslim countries today.
Taylor Bundren
Jun 17, 2016 Taylor Bundren rated it really liked it
This book is the PERFECT feel-good Christian romance for all you medieval historical fiction nerds like me. Granted, the last two books were less "medieval" regarding the knowledge of anatomy and the practice of surgery, but I will read nearly any European historical fiction book I can get my hands on.
As a Christian, I appreciate a book that slowly draws you in, where you can feel God's grace and mercy at full force along with the characters. Because these four books are so short, that doesn't n
Loved it. About "maidens that meet their knights". 4 short novels, first two are continued, which was great, next two are about women who are doctors one in England in 1349 whose father is doing autopsies to find out how to help the bubonic plague but he gets burned as it is against the church to cut into bodies. Next one is about a woman in 1390 France who does surgery which is against the church as well as a doctor as a woman is also against the rules. So interesting to also learn history and ...more
  • Brides O' the Emerald Isle
  • Nebraska Legacy: Four Men Become Husbands of Convenience in the Old West
  • Highland Legacy: Four Generations of Love Are Rooted in Scotland
  • Virginia
  • Kansas Brides: Stranger's Bride/Never a Bride/Bittersweet Bride/His Brother's Bride
  • Arkansas: Four Brothers Risk Their Hearts for Love in the Ozarks
  • From Italy with Love: Motivated by Letters, Four Women Travel to Italian Cities and Find Love (From Italy with Love #1)
  • A Promise for Tomorrow (Ribbons of Steel, #3)
  • Kansas Home: Hearts Adrift Find a Place to Dwell in Four Romantic Stories
  • Sonnet to a Dead Contessa (Lady Trent Mystery #3)
  • Colorado
  • Schoolhouse Brides: Teachers of Yesteryear Fulfill Dreams of Love in Four Novellas
  • New Hampshire Weddings (New Hampshire Wedding #1-3)
  • Alabama
  • The Pirate and His Lady (Buccaneers #2)
  • The Restitution (Legacy of the King's Pirates, #3)
  • Three Weddings and a Giggle
  • A Stitch in Time: Basket Stitch/Double Cross/Spider Web Rose/Double Running
Tracie Peterson is a bestselling author who writes in both historical and contemporary genres. Her novels reveal her love for research as well as her strong desire to develop emotionally meaningful characters and stories for her readers. Tracie and her family live in Montana.

pen name: Janelle Jamison
More about Tracie Peterson...

Castles (4 books)