Start by marking “The Alpine Path: The Story of My Career” as Want to Read:
The Alpine Path: The Story of My Career

The Alpine Path: The Story of My Career

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  397 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Lucy Maud Montgomery, the creator of Anne of Green Gables, wrote this charming autobiographical memoir in mid-career. It is the most complete account she published of her childhood and early years as a writer. It originally appeared as a series of magazine articles in 1917.

"The Alpine Path" refers to her long climb to success. She began in childhood and never wavered in he

Published February 1st 1984 by Fitzhenry & Whiteside (first published 1917)

To ask other readers questions about The Alpine Path, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Alpine Path

Kathryn
Jan 02, 2008 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: aspiring writers, fans of LM Montgomery books
I finished this sweet little biography this morning and absolutely adored it! Each paragraph was such a treat. I truly find a "kindred spirit" in L. M. Montgomery--I sensed through her stories and characters that our souls were made of similar stuff--and so it was a great pleasure and delight to read through these tidbits of her own life (though it's easy to see how much of it was already reflected in her fictional literary creations.) It was charming to read about her girlhood and all her dream ...more
Beccie
May 18, 2016 Beccie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This didn't have as much information as I would have liked, but it was still fun to read it. Through a lot of the book she would mention things from real life that she had put in Anne of Green Gables and The Story Girl , but I would recognize stories from her own life that were in the Emily of New Moon books. Even the name of the book is a big part of the Emily books, so I wondered why she never said anything about Emily. Then I realized she hadn't written the Emily books at the time this w ...more
Rachel
Jun 22, 2014 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Montgomery begins the book by staying that she was asked to write it for her fans, generally meaning Anne's fans. It serves its purpose: Montgomery shares what details of her life she feels are relative to her career, providing several anecdotes and sources for her inspiration. She paints a pleasant picture for her audience, rarely mentioning any emotion other than happiness or wonder.

It is measured and careful but straight from the author's pen. It was written to be shared and to maintain her i
Chelsey Quack
Feb 15, 2016 Chelsey Quack rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
This kind of thing is always hard to review; how do you critique the way someone remembers their life? It's very personal. Thankfully ol' Luce will never read this.

Anyway, I was really looking forward to this book after a trip to Cavendish over the summer, visiting Green Gables and making the walk over to where L. M. Montgomery's house originally stood. The guides there are awesome and extremely knowledgeable, being relations to the author (great great great nephew or something?) and told her st
Dawn
Apr 23, 2011 Dawn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: authors-i-love
I love her books, so I thought I would loving reading her autobiography. The descriptions of her girlhood were sweet and read very much like her novels. The book, however, lacked introspection. I don't feel as if I know her any better after reading this book than I already knew her. Perhaps I need a biography . . . ?
Carol
I've been on a Lucy Maud binge this year. After reading the Anne books, the Emily books, Story Girl, the short stories, I was eager to read a non-fictional account of Maud's life.

My complaint, like a host of other readers, is that the book answered few questions. In 96 pages, Montgomery gives the facts and focuses on her writing and publishing schedule. For example, we read nothing about her courtship or the man she married, but she gives the itinerary of her honeymoon tour. This was a special b
Briana
Jul 23, 2012 Briana rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
The Alpine Path, though autobiographical, is just as charming a story as Montgomery’s novels. She writes in a confidential tone, sharing her secrets, struggles, and dreams with her readers as though they are her friends. Peeping through her words is a little of Anne Shirley, clear in the way Montgomery thinks and enjoys life. She admits that she loved to name places as much as her most-famous character, such as the “Lake of Shining Waters.”

Montgomery reveals that many of events in her books were
Malinda
This short little autobiography was fun to read but I wish she had more to say about her many trials. She did a great job sharing about the rosier memories from her childhood (many of which are woven into her works) but then skims over her love-life and spends far too much time writing excerpts from journal entries written on her honeymoon that read as travel logs. But that being said, I did enjoy it and am as obsessed with this dear author as much as ever!
Glenna
Jul 14, 2015 Glenna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I grew up on the "Anne" and "Emily" stories. Their romantic flights of fancy always mirrored my own. This book, first published as a serial is L.M. Montgomery's telling of how she came to be a successful author. I found it very refreshing to hear her literary voice take on her own life. It was like coming back to a part of my childhood I feared I had lost.
Rebecca
Feb 24, 2015 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For fans of L.M. Montgomery's work, this short memoir is a joy to read. It was so fascinating to get a small glimpse of her childhood and early writing career and especially to see how many things from her own life and relatives' lives she wove into her work. I highly recommend it for anyone wanting to get a small picture of an extraordinary woman's life.
Julie
Jan 24, 2016 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a super-informative autobiography, but short, sweet, and makes me want to head off to PEIsland! You can tell this was the author that created Anne with an "e". :) From naming places and trees to feeling joys and sorrows so keenly, my favorite literary characters were born from this woman that practically WAS Anne!
Bethany
I wish I could rate this 3.5.

The author's charm is inescapable, her love of poetry inspiring. For an autobiography, it skips a lot, with one section entirely journal entries.

I want more, and I want it to be broader and deeper. This whet my appetite enough that I may need to go in search of a biography.
Cindy
Dec 28, 2015 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an interesting short autobiography of/by LM Montgomery. It is easy while reading it to see that while the idea of the wrong orphan being brought might have been something she'd heard about, much of Anne is taken from Montgomery's own life.
Diane
May 25, 2016 Diane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book pairs with other sources on LM Montgomery. It is a must-read if one wishes to obtain a thorough overview of Montgomery's life, but it leaves unanswered more questions than it answers. Nicely written and brief.
Katy Beaumont
Sep 06, 2014 Katy Beaumont rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first time I had read anything written by my favourite author in her own voice. It was lovely to understand a bit about her character. What a funny, warm and clever lady she was.
Belinda Bertrand
I thought this book would detail more of her history to become a writer so I was a bit disappointed. It was more about her childhood and contained diary excerpts.
Rebecca Rash
Aug 19, 2013 Rebecca Rash rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very interesting little book! It didn't make me feel as close to Lucy as I hoped it might, but I did learn a lot about her. In reading the snippets of her childhood and chunks of her journals, I am more certain of the likeness between her character Emily Starr and herself.
There seemed to be less about her career than one would expect, and the entries of her honeymoon got a little long and seemed out of place.
Still, a good book; Lucy writes just as beautifully about herself as she di
Tristi
Jul 05, 2009 Tristi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
The Alpine Path is a short look at the life of the author L.M. Montgomery, in her own words. I found it to be rather heavy on the first part of her life and very scanty on the latter part, and would have liked to see it more balanced, but I understand that she was trying to protect her troubled marriage from scrutiny. I found "Kindred Spirit" by Catherine M. Andronik a little more complete along those lines, without being an expose. At any rate, I enjoyed this book as I have everything else this ...more
Emily
Aug 16, 2009 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very light, enjoyable read that sheds insight into the Anne, or shall we say "Lucy", character? I found it interesting that LM spent time as an editor in a newspaper office for some time while working on several manuscripts.

I especially delighted in the fact that Lucy Maud shared hopeful excerpts from her diaries from the times when she was sending off her short stories to magazines in hopes of publication. This book is great fuel for anyone with latent dreams of doing anything seemingly diff
Naomi Sarah
If you love L.M.Montgomery, HIGHLY recommended!
Kayla
Oct 18, 2014 Kayla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
"It has always seemed to me, ever since early childhood, that, amid all the commonplaces of life, I was very near to a kingdom of ideal beauty. Between it and me hung only a thin veil. I could never draw it quite aside, but sometimes a wind fluttered it and I caught a glimpse of the enchanting realm beyond -- only a glimpse -- but those glimpses have always made life worth while."
This is a lovely collection of stories of the author's early life, including accounts of the many places and people
Maria Elmvang
L.M. Montgomery is an excellent writer, one of the few who's able to make both fiction and non-fiction interesting, and I would probably have rated this a lot higher, if it wasn't for the fact that I've read all her journals more than once, and therefore got absolutely nothing new out of this book. I hadn't realized it was more or less just a direct copy of select entries. So good enough for what it is, but unnecessary reading for anybody who's read the first two journals and/or "The LMM Album".
Rebekah
May 03, 2010 Rebekah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I enjoyed reading more about Montgomery. Many biographies have been written about her, but this one is an autobiography Her childhood on Prince Edward Island sounds idyllic. I didn't realize how much her life is reflected in her books, although I did think Emily of New Moon was the most autobiographical. I'm looking forwarding to rereading The Story Girl since she stated that was her favorite.

Lorren
Apr 15, 2010 Lorren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book - it was interesting to hear about the author of so many of my favorite books in her own voice. Many of the things she writes about in her books and short stories are based on her own life. Her voice was friendly and comfortable to read. The end got a little boring as she described her travels in Scotland because she referenced a lot of literature that I was not familiar with.
S
Feb 06, 2011 S rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. This didn't go very deep and wasn't really the autobiography I was hoping for. Also, the last 1/4 of the book was really just a travelogue. The book overall had too many references to Story Girl (which I only read once and don't remember liking a lot). That said, there is something comforting just in hearing her voice and it did have some interesting tidbits.
Cassie
Jan 14, 2013 Cassie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I read this as part of my research on L.M. Montgomery for an author presentation for a children's litereature class I was taking. I love her writing and this essay about her career is even more enjoyable to read. She shares her some of her own childhood experiences and she uses the same descriptive language as she does in her novels. A thuroughly enjoyable read.
Karen Sofarin
Jul 05, 2015 Karen Sofarin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this charming book written entirely in the true voice of one of my favorite authors. Explains so much and yet even in an autobiography leaves so much scope for the imagination. I love the passion for the art of writing.
Liz B
I listened to all of the Anne books in 2010 (minus Windy Poplars and Anne of Ingleside, which are not available as recorded books), which made me more interested in Montgomery's life & career. This was a very quick and fascinating read.
Misti
Aug 19, 2012 Misti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've had this book for many years but finally read it this last week. I loved how Maud wrote about the mundaneness of life and the woes of working for paper---the ups and downs of life. It made me love her even more!
Bruce Kissinger
May 02, 2008 Bruce Kissinger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent short book about the career of Lucy Maud Montgomery. Don't buy the book -- instead get it from any of the free electronic sources including

• Looking for Anne of Green Gables: The Story of L. M. Montgomery and Her Literary Classic
  • Lucy Maud Montgomery: The Gift of Wings
  • Maud: The Life of L.M. Montgomery
  • Kindred Spirit: A Biography of L. M. Montgomery, Creator of Anne of Green Gables
  • L.M. Montgomery
  • Beatrix Potter's Journal
  • Born Naked: The Early Adventures of the Author of Never Cry Wolf
  • All Will Be Well: A Memoir
  • Under the Black Umbrella: Voices from Colonial Korea, 1910-1945
  • The Story Girl Earns Her Name (Road to Avonlea, #2)
  • Village Of The Small Houses: A Memoir Of Sorts
  • The Prophet's Camel Bell
  • The Little House Guidebook
  • One Native Life
  • Reading Chekhov: A Critical Journey
  • Anne of Green Gables Treasury
  • Theodore Roosevelt's Letters to His Children
  • The Little Princesses
Lucy Maud Montgomery was a Canadian author, best known for a series of novels beginning with Anne of Green Gables, published in 1908.

The author of the famous Canadian novel Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery, was born at Clifton, Prince Edward Island, Nov. 30, 1874. She came to live at Leaskdale, north of Uxbridge Ontario, in 1911 after her wedding with Rev. Ewen Macdonald on July 11, 1911
More about L.M. Montgomery...

“I am grateful that my childhood was spent in a spot where there were many trees, trees of personality, planted and tended by hands long dead, bound up with everything of joy or sorrow that visited our lives. When I have "lived with" a tree for many years it seems to me like a beloved human companion.” 3 likes
“Yet he may have committed what might be considered far greater sins that yet would not inflict on any one a tithe of the humiliation which his teasing inflicted on a child's sensitive mind.” 2 likes