Start by marking “Robbers” as Want to Read:
Robbers

Robbers

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  68 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Two Texan ex-cons, Ray Bob and Eddie, have just killed a convenience store clerk over a penny. Now, with a pack of cigarettes, a stolen Caddy, and no plan, the two must think fast-and move faster, in this novel with "a lyric voice that sings itself raw."(New York Times Book Review)

"My kind of book." (James Ellroy)

"Cook's plot tumbles from scene to scene with jarring br
Published April 2nd 2002 by Berkley Trade (first published November 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Robbers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Robbers

Kip
Jan 25, 2016 Kip rated it really liked it
Robbers is a highly enjoyable read that wears its influences on its sleeve. Talking only about the story itself, it’s a wild and woolly white-trash wet dream of a road-trippin’ deep-fried nightmare. I’d give it five stars just for its pure sleazoid glee. But when the buzz wears off and you look at the actual writing of it, you can easily see Christopher Cook mining the best tricks of some of his (and our) favorite crime writers.

So yeah, the story: Our two hapless drifters, Eddie and Ray Bob, cut
Tim Niland
Nov 05, 2012 Tim Niland rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads
Robbers is the story of a couple of low down Texas desperados going on a wild crime spree, robbing convenience stores, killing proprietors and generally running amok in East Texas. But Eddie and Ray Bob are not as similar as they may seem. Ray Bob is hard core, hiding some decent education behind a front of massive rage he scours a path across Texas. Eddie on the other hand is a drifter, a talented blues musician who has fallen into a life of crime and killing with Ray Bob and looking for any ch ...more
Jean
Sep 24, 2009 Jean rated it really liked it
This one really surprised me! I really don't go for the popular, graphic, mindless killing novels like Cromwells and Patersons but this one grabbed me (not that it's mindless)! The guy was a socio-path but he sure had an appreciation for nature, and Cook writes well enough to get the message across. While killer Ray Bob is off in the woods tracking the Texas Ranger:

"A yellowbellied sapsucker swept through the clearing, lit on a honey locust, began its rat-tat-tat forage in the bark. The sharp i
David Melamed
May 11, 2015 David Melamed rated it it was amazing
Christopher cook is by far the best author ever. I could not put this book down. The entire book is filled with action and suspense, with a little bit of humor. If I find another Christopher Cook book, I will definitely pick it up
Jake
Jan 01, 2016 Jake rated it really liked it
James Ellroy meets Elmore Leonard, but without both sets of annoying tics.
David Odeen
Oct 19, 2015 David Odeen rated it really liked it
Violence abounds!
Jasmin
Mar 28, 2015 Jasmin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolut lesenswert und wortgewaltig!
Mark
May 07, 2008 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, first-novels
The blurb on the back of this advance compared Cook to James Lee Burke and Elmore Leonard. That's pretty high praise for a first novel. It was a pretty good first novel (that's my blurb.) The line between "good guys" and "bad guys" was pretty much indistinguishable. There was a couple of pretty good twists near the end, but I got anxious to finish the book, because so many people were being killed off.
Decy
Sep 14, 2013 Decy rated it really liked it
A complete and awesome work of pure pulp fiction. Robbers tells the tale of two outlaws running from the law and leaving a trail of death and destruction in their rearview mirror.

It's a lovely mix of violence and superb dialogue. It flows beautifully and you won't stop rooting for the bad guys.

It's like a Quentin Tarantino film, in a book. Read it.
Vi
Feb 07, 2009 Vi marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed in American Libraries 12.2008 "Rousing Reads" by Bill Ott.
Ghost Walker
May 25, 2009 Ghost Walker rated it really liked it
traditional wild west outlaws still roam through texas
Maddy
May 19, 2010 Maddy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2007-reads
RATING: 3.75
Daniel
Daniel is currently reading it
Jun 18, 2016
Twistedtexas
Twistedtexas marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Aimee Shaffer
Aimee Shaffer marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Anna
Anna rated it liked it
May 19, 2016
Flippo
Flippo added it
Jan 29, 2016
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Andrew Moreno
Andrew Moreno marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Quinn
Quinn marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Michael Satcher
Michael Satcher rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2015
Sidney
Sidney added it
Oct 08, 2015
Terry Renee
Terry Renee marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
David
David added it
Aug 24, 2015
Ashley Craver
Ashley Craver marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Neil Campbell
Neil Campbell rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2015
Matt Ingwalson
Matt Ingwalson marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015