Start by marking “Dead in the West” as Want to Read:
Dead in the West

Dead in the West (Dead in the West)

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  589 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
A zombie western by Joe R. Lansdale. Dead In The West is the story of Mud Creek, Texas, a town overshadowed by a terrible evil. An Indian medicine man, unjustly lynched by the people of Mud Creek, has put a curse on the town. As the sun sets, he will have his revenge. For when darkness falls, the dead will walk in Mud Creek and they will be hungry for human flesh. The only ...more
Published May 28th 1986 by Space & Time (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Dead in the West, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead in the West

Dan Schwent
Reverend Jebediah Mercer, Lansdale's alcoholic gun-toting preacher, comes to town. Too bad a dying Indian medicine man put a curse on the town and it's crawling with zombies...

If you're a zombie fan or a Joe R. Lansdale fan, this slim volume is more than worth the cash. It's got everything you love about zombie stories, set in a western town, and written by the Master of Mojo hisownself, Joe Lansdale.
⊱ Irena ⊰
'Hallowed be thy name, oh Lord—and shotgun do your stuff.'
The fun I had with this book!

Mud Creek, Texas.
Jebediah Mercer, a gunslinger preacher, feels drawn to this horrible little town. His dreams are terrifying. When the evil finally comes to Mud Creek, he is the only one who is standing in its way.

The Reverend is a true anti-hero. He has some real sins behind him, not just imaginary ones. And, yet, you'll root for him. And you'll probably like him. I know I do.

Now, as for the evil and what
Mark
Apr 21, 2013 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not much time. Say something. Write something. Think, think, think. Nothing doing, nothing coming.

Zombies. Yes, good. Zombies. This book has zombies. Fearful, frightful, bodaciously hideous, skin-falling-off-them zombies.

And a preacher. And the preacher's an alcoholic. And he has a big secret. And he comes into a town that's a lot like my hometown, but displaced to east Texas (East Texas?). Lots of creeps with lots of secrets. Sex secrets, violent secrets, tight-lipped secrets.

And there's a d
Quentin Wallace
Mar 09, 2015 Quentin Wallace rated it it was amazing
Once again, Lansdale proves he's the master of the Weird Western. Really enjoyable here. It's an old west zombie tale with a twist. Nothing incredibly ground breaking, but Lansdale puts so much into his characters it still seems fresh and new. He always manages to add just enough to make it seem fresh. The ending wasn't my favorite, but really fit the western mold.

If you like Weird Westerns, or really horror in general, you'll like this one.
Riju Ganguly
Nov 26, 2015 Riju Ganguly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What are the things that you love in Lansdale? Let's count, and then find out how many of them are present in this novella.

1. Weird West Setting: It's not only there, but acts as a template for all the new-Pulp and new-Western writers.
2. Dark Humour: Definitely there, and in such a manner that enriches the characters rather than diminishing them, despite the entire novella belonging to the horror genre.
3. Profanity: Accept it or not, it's the lurid & colourful language leaping out of the lin
Nick Cato
Nov 15, 2008 Nick Cato rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: zombie story completists
I waited a long time to get my hands on this one, and thanks to a sale at one of my favorite online booksellers I finally managed to snag a copy of this gorgeous limited edition hardcover version of Lansdale's classic zombie western (the story originally appeared in 1986 as a 3-part series in Eldritch Tales Magazine then later as a softcover trade paperback). This is also the first time I've read Lansdale (don't shoot me--full pun intended), although I did see the film version of his book BUBBA ...more
Daniel
Oct 13, 2012 Daniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally, I got the chance to read Lansdale's zombie western without throwing down a big chunk of change. Thank you eBooks!

I love Lansdale's prose. He writes in concise sentences that build up the story detail by detail. Some authors labor to describe a setting, and the resulting prose is an equal labor to digest; not Lansdale. I felt like I was walking through Mud Creek myself, taking in the storefronts and the people.

Lansdale also establishes a small universe of characters in a short amount of
Raegan Butcher
Mar 15, 2016 Raegan Butcher rated it really liked it
Excellent horror pulp. An Indian curse turns a town of rednecks harboring a guilty secret into flesh-eating zombies. Very surprising that this hasn't been made into a movie...( i found Lansdale on Twitter & he told me a French company owns the rights & won't come off them. Shame, as it would make a fun little fright flick)
Marvin
Apr 09, 2009 Marvin rated it really liked it
Shelves: autographed, horror
Best zombie western ever...admittedly not a big category. Joe R. Lansdale is the writer I turn to when I want my horror fix delivered with sardonic wit and drenched in buckets of blood. He doesn't disappoint in this hearty tribute to the pulps. Why this book has never been made into a movie bewilders me.
Donald Armfield
Dec 05, 2013 Donald Armfield rated it it was amazing
Lansdale takes a huge bite with this kick ass zombie novella. B-rated zombie the way it should be.
Jon
May 24, 2011 Jon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leslee
This is a novella more than a novel, clocking in at only 97 pages on my ereader. Pretty much your typical western with zombies thrown in for good measure, it has all the usual culprits, the drunken buffoon, corrupt Sherriff, plucky young sidekick, and of course a badass gunslinger in the form of a Reverend that's lost his faith.

I enjoyed this for what it was but honestly it was too short for me to really care about the characters much. Zombie action doesn't really start until about halfway thro
Trevor
Feb 19, 2009 Trevor rated it it was amazing
Shelves: zombies
Wow - this is a rootin' tootin' cussin' fabulous zombie western! I've been wanting to read this weird little book for quite some time and thank god for interlibrary loan - got a copy from the Library of Congress! Of course, I had to read it in the library, but that's no problem since I work there. It's quick - 3 lunch breaks and I was done. I'm sad it's over because it was just so much fun. Dead in the West is packed with quirky, wild, and funny one-liners. It's worth reading again just to pull ...more
Audrey
Chompa
Mar 27, 2012 Chompa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Drunken preachers, zombies, dark powers, and a western all in one. Magnificent!

Lansdale's one of my favorites and he did a magnificent job with this story. The preacher is a fantastic character and Lansdale's hints of future adventures with him make me very happy.
Melissa
May 16, 2009 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I told you the words "zombie western", anything you could possibly think of would have to be this book. Crusty town doctor, hard-bitten alcoholic reverend struggling with his faith, random boy who stature rises in the plot, pretty woman, zombies. This book is cool.
Robert
Jan 19, 2012 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun, pulpy read. Maybe too generous giving it three stars, though, but it is Lansdale, so there.
Rick
Oct 12, 2007 Rick rated it really liked it
Shelves: westerns, horror
Zombies, gun-totin' preachers, and Joe R. Lansdale. Need I say more?
Brandon James
Feb 21, 2014 Brandon James rated it liked it
This was a fun, quick read. Short and to the point. Nothing outside the box (well, there is, but you'll have to read it). Didn't have to think.

Bad things happen. Preacher shows up. Oops, something happened and the town is cursed. All hell breaks loose. That's all crammed into 119 pages (the version I read) and it's easy to digest in one evening over a couple of hours. Fairly cinematic with some good gory action and I'm wondering why this hasn't been made into a movie yet.

Not as good as other Lan
Tarl
Feb 02, 2013 Tarl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was listed as one of the books one should read if you wanted to become a horror writer. After reading it, I can understand why. Time and time again I come across this book being mentioned by writers in the horror and weird west genre as the inspiration behind their writing. It's not hard to see why after I set this book down.

Lansdale's writing is wonderfully done. The details flow yet not to the point where you get bogged down in it. The characters are handled well and they behave generally
Patrick D'Orazio
Nov 05, 2010 Patrick D'Orazio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dead in the West is a yarn about Reverend Jebediah Mercer, a preacher who has lost his faith and has come to Mud Creek, an east Texas town that has a curse on it. Not so long ago the townsfolk unjustly lynched an Indian Medicine man and butchered his mixed race wife. Before he died, the Medicine man cursed the town and now the dead have come back to life to extract revenge on Mud Creek's citizens, whether they were involved with the lynching or not.

Overall, the story is a very fast read and fai
Donald
May 14, 2016 Donald rated it really liked it
One of my favorite authors with one of his best characters, the Rev! I think I just have a "thing" for a man of the cloth with an itchy trigger finger! Reverend Jebidiah Mercer pulls into the town of Mud Creek just in time to be on the receiving end of an unjustly hanged Indian's curse! Nice, eh? Well, he and a couple of others get to do battle with the living dead, ol' west style! Definitely my cup of tea! And it's a quick read, so yum!
Xavi Reixach
Llegué a este libro porque leí un relato del autor en una antología de terror donde aparecía el reverendo protagonista de la novela, en una historia corta en la que se mezclaba el western con los muertos vivientes. A partir de ahí, y como me gustó el relato, supe de la existencia de este libro, así como de la participación de Joe R. Landsdale en el guion de una película de serie B llamada Bubba Ho-Tep, con la que me divertí mucho y de la que guardo un gran recuerdo.

Con estos precedentes, me he l
Ricardo Fleshman
Jan 12, 2015 Ricardo Fleshman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well- obviously I am a fan of short well written fiction. Joe Lansdale combines the old west and the supernatural to create a tale that is both dark and well...dark. I read one of his stories in a collection about zombies and decided to seek out his books and man I was not disappointed. Joe was writing zombie stories long before world war z or the walking dead made them popular again! The Reverend is the kind of main character I look for, anti-hero...bruised and scarred, wounded (a hardened man ...more
Jordan
Apr 26, 2015 Jordan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lansdale writes snappy, savage, pulpy prose that compels this simple story forward like a steam engine. His Reverend, Jebediah Mercer, is a wonder of contradictions: a gun fighter and a man of God. Lansdale dips into Mercer's just enough to round out the character, but not enough to slow his story. The action is brutal and fast, as all great "final showdowns" should be. It's only 148 pages: give it a whirl.

5/5 stars
Jason
Oct 20, 2013 Jason rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Early Lansdale, not as good as he'd later get, yet still entertaining. This is pure pulp and it doesn't pretend to be anything else, so you can't hold its thin story against it too much. The lazily written romance (didn't buy it for a second) is distracting, but this is still a zippy little read full of characteristically crass Lansdale wit, gore and uncomfortable details. The plot is straight-up dog-simple. It's your basic zombie attack brought about by your basic revenge curse from a dead myst ...more
Kelly
Jul 20, 2010 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-end-is-nigh
I first discovered the Reverend Jebediah Mercer in Lansdale's short story "Deadman's Road" which was included in the zombie anthology The Living Dead . He reminded me a lot of Roland from Stephen King's Dark Tower series and as I have a fan girl crush on Roland, I decided to explore this character a bit further. After enjoying "Deadman's Road" so much, I had high expectations for Dead in the West but was ultimately let down. The writing was a bit clunky and, truth be told, there was a bit t ...more
Lyndi Hardman
The book was ok. The story was actually good. I normally don't read westerns, but how could I resist a zombie western. What a neat concept! However, the whole incest with the brother and sister thing that had absolutely nothing to do with the storyline was pretty weird. If that part would have been left out I would have rated it much higher. And its not because I am a prude because I loved Flowers in the Attic but the incest actually had something to do with the story line. Ok end of rant. I don ...more
Callie S.
La morte ci sfida è un atto d'amore nei confronti di quella cinematografia (di serie Z) da drive-in cui tanto deve l'immaginario dell'Autore. Lansdale orchestra, infatti, un riuscito crossover di zombie e vecchio West, senza rinunciare agli archetipi del genere: dal Reverendo tormentato e ramingo allo sceriffo pusillanime; dal fanatico del villaggio al buon dottore.
Dico 'archetipi' e non 'stereotipi', perché è la qualità della scrittura a fare la differenza e a conferire tridimensionalità a pe
Matteo Pellegrini
Jan 22, 2014 Matteo Pellegrini rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, fantastico

Un guaritore indiano lancia la sua maledizione per vendicare l'assassinio della moglie: un'epidemia semina la morte tra gli abitanti di Mud Creek, facendoli diventare degli zombi. A risolvere la situazione ci penserà il reverendo Jebidiah Mercer, armato di fede e di un revolver calibro .36.

• Skin Medicine
  • Dead Man's Hand: Five Tales of the Weird West
  • The Book of All Flesh
  • Westward Weird
  • Merkabah Rider: Tales of a High Planes Drifter (Merkabah Rider, #1)
  • The Undead: Zombie Anthology
  • Clickers VS. Zombies
  • Down the Road: On the Last Day
  • The Kill Riff
  • The Last Zombie: Dead New World (The Last Zombie, #1)
  • Rot
  • Hissers
  • Every Sigh, the End
  • The Mammoth Book of Zombies
  • After Twilight: Walking with the Dead
  • Shadow on the Sun
  • Coffin County
  • Jack and Mr. Grin
Joe R. Lansdale is the winner of the British Fantasy Award, the American Horror Award, the Edgar Award, and six Bram Stoker Awards. He lives in Nacogdoches, Texas.
More about Joe R. Lansdale...