Start by marking “Qu'Appelle” as Want to Read:
Qu'Appelle

Qu'Appelle

For generations, the Native people of the Northern Plains have told the legend of Qu'Appelle. In this famous love story, a young brave must leave his betrothed to lead a war party against the Blackfoot. Heartbroken by his absence, she falls sick, calls out for her love, and dies. Cree elders say that if you go out onto the prairies and listen, you can still hear the brave ...more
Published June 24th 2002 by Raincoast Books

To ask other readers questions about Qu'Appelle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Qu'Appelle

Manybooks
Jul 05, 2010 Manybooks rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in North American Folklore
If I could give this superb picture book retelling of the Cree folktale of Qu'appelle more than five stars, I would. A famous First Nations love story, a young warrior must leave his betrothed to go to war, and heartbroken by his absence, she dies, calling out his name. According to Cree elders, if you go out on the Saskatchewan prairies, you can still hear the young warrior searching for his lost love, calling out "Qui appelle" (who is calling).

Although the text of Qu'appelle is emotional and
Carolynne
Oct 14, 2015 Carolynne rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Malinda Maynor Lowery
Recommended to Carolynne by: Manybooks
Childhood friends growing up in the same Cree home become so close that when they are young adults and Ikvic leaves for war against other Indians, Witonia is so lonely and desolated that she cannot bear their separation. She gives up and dies while her love is rushing to be at her side. Alas he arrives too late. But on his journey he hears her call his name and replies, "Qui appelle?" (Who is calling?). And travelers who walk through the Qu'Appelle Valley in Manitoba and Saskatchewan can sometim ...more
Lisa Vegan
Aug 11, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Lisa by: Manybooks
Thank you, Gundula for alerting me to this book!

I wasn’t in the mood for either a love story or a war story, and this is both, but I’d just returned from an evening at the opera so it seemed fitting to read this, and I’m trying to finish my at home library borrowed picture books before I pick up my copy of Mockingjay Tuesday morning. Another book with love & war elements, actually.

The illustrations are absolutely stunning. Many of the pictures would be welcomed as paintings on my walls. They
Eden
A young warrior must leave his wife for war. But she loves him so much that she cannot live without him. Upon returning home, the young warrior discovers his wife passed away while calling out his name.

This is a retelling of a Cree folktale. David Bouchard tells this beautifully sad tale with poetry and he does it quite well. It is a tale of love, loss and rememberance.

I recommend this book to those who like poetry, folktales and Native American/First Nations stories.
LauraW
Jul 06, 2011 LauraW rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Beautiful rendering of a Cree Indian legend. It is almost too sad for me, though.
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2017
MWL
MWL rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2017
Dawn
Dawn rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2016
Caroline Mcphail-Lambert
Caroline Mcphail-Lambert rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2012
Jacob.K
Jacob.K rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2017
Sara K
Sara K rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2014
Liam Short
Liam Short rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2017
Annette
Annette rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2009
Cheryl Didur
Cheryl Didur rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2012
Puddles Smith
Puddles Smith rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2013
Nicholle
Nicholle rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2012
Mmetevans
Mmetevans rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2016
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
Miriam
Miriam marked it as to-read
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Crystal Marcos
Crystal Marcos marked it as to-read
Ronyell
Ronyell marked it as to-read
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2010
Dolly
Dolly marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2011
Ellie
Ellie added it
Feb 16, 2011
Ellie
Ellie added it
Jul 23, 2011
Lee-Anne
Lee-Anne marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2012
Shadene Edwards
Shadene Edwards marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2012
Jbondandrews
Jbondandrews marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2013
Dita
Dita marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2013
Alex
Alex added it
May 08, 2013
Corinne
Corinne marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2013
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Karly
Karly marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Anne Marie
Anne Marie marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2016
Racine
Racine marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2017
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2017
Jessica Griffin
Jessica Griffin marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2017
Duck
Duck marked it as to-read
May 22, 2017
Canadian Métis author and literacy advocate David Bouchard has produced more than fifty books for readers of all ages, including two guides on reading for parents and educators.

An erstwhile teacher and school principal, he is particularly concerned with Aboriginal-related issues and is a sought-after speaker for conference keynotes and school presentations and on topics of reading, literacy and ab
More about David Bouchard...