Start by marking “Nell” as Want to Read:

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  177 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Now available for the first time as an eBook, this beloved novel by "New York Times "bestselling author Nancy Thayer tells the uplifting story of a single mom seeking independence and struggling to find her way.
Nell St. John is not living the life she imagined for herself--not by a long shot. She was once a glamorous young actress married to influential director, Marlow
Published May 1st 1985 by William Morrow & Company

To ask other readers questions about Nell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nell

Jun 12, 2014 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
Nell St. John is not happy with the way her life is going - not by a long shot. She was once a glamorous young actress, married to an influential director, Marlow St. John. Together, they were the toast of the town, an A-list couple destined for fame.

But then Marlow's star fades and tensions at home begin to skyrocket. He soon takes up with another woman and abandons Nell, leaving her to pay the bills and raise their two boisterous young children by herself. Even a string of attractive suitors i
Nell and Marlow St. John had been a golden couple: he, a famous director, and she, a talented actress. Could their life get any better? But then the children came along. First, Jeremy, and two years later, Hannah.

Life gradually changed for them, and then, unexpectedly, Marlow left Nell for her best friend Charlotte. In some ways, she felt more betrayed by Charlotte than she did by Marlow.

Five years later, Nell is still alone, struggling financially, working in a high end boutique in Cambridge, a
Holly Ollivander
I was living in North London, down to my last shilling and a week to go before my visa ran out when I discovered this book. Not my usual style, I was still immediately captivated — Nancy Thayer is that good a writer.

If you ever really want to understand the way a woman’s mind works, read this. Nell is like source code. It will change everything.
Carol Nummy
A major disappointment

I usually love Nancy, but this one was tedious and endlessly repetitious. Being her first book, thank goodness she has grown and improved. Don't bother.
This book could of ended in a variety of different the end I enjoyed the outcome. Dived into Nell's story straight from page one and kept me entertained page after page.
My favorite book of all times. I read it at least once a year.
Julie Barrett
nell by nancy thayer, woman lives on nantucket island, after college she marries a leading man
and raises her children. he leaves her for another and she continues with dinner parties on the island
and contemplates with her panic attacks selling the house, taking the old trees down, and just being able to live there still.
life on the island, the nursery day care she starts up to survive and all her love interests over the years.
Tedious read, missing her usual humour.
Feb 24, 2010 Christine rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everybody who loves a good Nantucket novel
Recommended to Christine by: I check once a year for her new book
This was the 2nd book by Nancy Thayer that I read in the mid eighties and the first one taking place on Nantucket, my favorite place on earth.
Beautiful love story and description of Nantucket.
Sue Wilber
Ending left an opening for another book!!
A divorcee, looking for a new husband.
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Angelalyn marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2015
April Vaughn
April Vaughn marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2015
April marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Aneil added it
Sep 15, 2015
Emily marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Debbie marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Aimee marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Michelle Hinrichsen
Michelle Hinrichsen marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Rose marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Louise marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Ellen Craft
Ellen Craft marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
  • Random Hearts
  • The Doctor's Wife
  • The Friends
  • Gone to Her Death (Lloyd & Hill, #3)
  • Falling Angels
  • A Rose for Virtue
  • Ruin Creek
  • Trust
  • First Things First
Nancy Thayer has a B.A. and M.A. in English literature from the University of Missouri at Kansas City. Before settling down to write and have children she taught English at various colleges and traveled, living in Paris, Amsterdam and Helsinki. In 1981 she was a Fellow at the Breadloaf Writers Conference. She has lived on Nantucket Island year round for twenty-five years with her husband Charley W ...more
More about Nancy Thayer...
Beachcombers Summer House Heat Wave Island Girls Moon Shell Beach