Start by marking “The Red Cardigan” as Want to Read:
The Red Cardigan

The Red Cardigan (Evie #1)

Who is the girl in the red cardigan?

Sometimes Evie sees things that other people don't. She's wary of the other kids at school, of what they might see in her drawings, or of what they would say if they knew she was different. So most of the time she blocks it all out and pretends she's just like everyone else.

But a missing girl is trying to tell Evie something. A girl wh
Published July 2nd 2004 by Random

To ask other readers questions about The Red Cardigan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Red Cardigan

On the Jellicoe Road by Melina MarchettaThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakSaving Francesca by Melina MarchettaGraffiti Moon by Cath CrowleyTomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden
Favourite Aussie YA books
89th out of 314 books — 875 voters
Tomorrow, When the War Began by John MarsdenOn the Jellicoe Road by Melina MarchettaThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakLooking for Alibrandi by Melina MarchettaSaving Francesca by Melina Marchetta
Best Australian Young Adult Books
76th out of 132 books — 130 voters

More lists with this book...

I love stumbling across books in unexpected ways. This author attended my daughter’s high school to talk with the senior students. I looked her up here on GR and one of her books were on my list. I ordered it and she signed it for me. ‘For Suzanne. Second hands clothes bring second hand woes x’. Rylee's friends were quite impressed she got a copy. 'How did you get one? I want one?!' Her mum is just crazy about books and has a TBR of 1400+!

I'm glad an Australian Woman Writer (one of my favourite
☼♄Jülie 

Sixteen year old Evie is struggling with her school assignments and personal popularity after a strange and unexplainable "episode" with a fellow Art student, leaves everyone talking...and Evie in an extremely shaken and vulnerable condition which sees her falling behind after having to take time off school as a result.
She is at a loss to explain her sudden and irrational outburst in the Art class that day and is now suffering, not only the persecution from the pupils and teachers at her school,
Sep 29, 2014 Elaine rated it really liked it
Evie is special. She has a gift that she doesn't completely understand. Will she be able to deal with the ramifications and consequences of this? I thoroughly enjoyed this YA novel that was part thriller, part paranormal. It had been sitting on my daughter's bookshelf for years and the only reason I picked it up was that it fit comfortably into a challenge. I'm so glad I did. The story is riveting and so gripping that I got to a point where I couldn't put it down until I'd finished.
Venus Hou
Nov 18, 2014 Venus Hou rated it liked it
"Who is this girl in the red cardigan?"

This book is about a girl named Evie with "special gifts", that likes vintage clothes. Her dad has recently bought her a second hand red cardigan. However, ever since she received the cardigan things unexplainable starts to happen to her. Whenever she tries to draw a portrait of her friend Alex, it always turns out into a girl she has never met. The girl in her portrait tries to tell her things, and she's not willing to give up until she's found. The same g
May 01, 2013 Paige rated it it was amazing
I read this book in year 7 or 8, so back in 2005 or 2006. I absolutely loved it. After a few years I remembered the book, just not the title or author. So ever since then I have been trying to find it and failed until tonight. I could only remember the story outline and what the cover looked like. It was so frustrating not finding it, so I am over the moon right now. And I am so looking forward to reading this again and again.
Kyeong Jin
Oct 04, 2014 Kyeong Jin rated it really liked it
The book called “The Red Cardigan” id written by J. C. Burke. This story is a series, it has the next part of the story in the book called “Nine Letter Long”. J. C. Burke was born in Sydney and she grew up in a world full of noise, drama and books. The different characters made her have a lot of idea to write the book. Actually she was not a writer at first, she was a nurse. She wanted to be a nurse because she has saw her mother dealing with cancer. In Sydney University, there was a creative wr ...more
Rhondda Powling
Feb 19, 2015 Rhondda Powling rated it really liked it
A paranormal thriller that keeps you reading to the end.
People are wary of 16 year old Evie. Something happened previously that the students and teachers at her school and even her mother are afraid of. Evie herself doesn't fully understand what is happening to her. Evie however does start to realise that she has supernormal abilities and that they are part of her (and perhaps were also experienced by her grandmother). Evie's "gift" is that she can see someone else's life through their eyes when
Katherine Wine
Dec 23, 2010 Katherine Wine rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this. I find anything that surrounds the theme of psychics and what's beyond the grave to be quite an intriguing topic. This story was very fluent and the style in which it is written is very new to me but still quite readable.
Dec 04, 2011 Kirsti rated it really liked it
This story was interesting, and I say that lightly. Without knowing it, Evie has spent most of her life with a 'gift', seeing dead people, communicating with people she has a link to without knowing. When she picks up a pencil, sometimes the dead faces come through, but it's only recently that she has connected that idea to her gift, because her mother is determined to protect her.

I liked how this was Australian, but not over the top. I liked the characters, and Evie's weird little habits like c
"Who is the girl in the red cardigan?" It all started when Evie's dad bought her a second hand red cardigan from a vintage store.Things got unusual and uncanny ever since she wore the jacket.She sees spiritual things that others don't,drawing a caricature of an unknown person,words escape from her mouth without her being able to control them.”Is someone trying to trying to her something?”

This book is a story of psychological.The details in the book were described vividly which created a spooky a
Sep 20, 2014 Sharon rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
Read upto 125 but just couldn't bring myself to read anymore. Not to my liking. Not really bad but not good either. So disappointed as have been wanting to read this for a long while now.
Jul 20, 2014 Sue rated it really liked it
The Red Cardigan was an interesting take on the psychic type novel. It is about a girl Evie, who is discovering she has a special gift and how she can use it. It is like a murder mystery.
Apr 02, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable YA page turner. A great thriller, that got me in and had me hooked. I found the story a little confusing at first, but very quickly became used to the writers style. I found The Red Cardigan to be a gripping story.
Joelle Wells
Oct 20, 2014 Joelle Wells rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing. Such a great mystery to it, and I can imagine it all happening whilst reading it.
May 09, 2016 M rated it really liked it
Evie's a memorable character with an intriguing story. A great father/daughter relationship story. Year 7+
Jul 04, 2016 Heather rated it really liked it
A terrific psychological thriller that will hold the reader captivated to the last page.
Claire Taylor
Jan 18, 2016 Claire Taylor rated it really liked it
Haunting and unique story. It was short and to the point but also mysterious
Mar 17, 2011 Lore rated it liked it
Shelves: supernatural, ghostly
This was a pretty decent Paranormal book.
Sure it was written kind of wierdly, but it's good none the less.
Evie's awesome(hehe, just noticed, it's the same name as the herion of Paranormalcy. lol, must a thing with the names) and a great character, not the fantastabestestly(I just made that up) one, but good enough.
It was creepy and strange and ulimently differnt from Faking Sweet, anoth Burke book, but it was good.
So yeah go read it.
Apr 20, 2015 Liz rated it liked it
It's so Australian! I don't remember ever speaking like that in high school though...
Oct 15, 2015 Meryl marked it as to-read
Jo 2012
Oct 01, 2007 Sylvia rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
A mystery novel. Evie sees things that other people don't. One day she receives a red cardigan bought by her father. After that Evie has dreams about a girl. A missing girl who is trying to tell Evie something, and she is very persistent to be found.

Finally, Evie can no longer ignore the question that needs an answer. Who is the girl who once wore the red cardigan Evie now wears.

Really like it!
Mar 25, 2015 Courtney rated it really liked it
Reading this again after years of not reading it have shown that whilst I still enjoy the story, I'm very much aware in the simplistic writing. I'm not saying that that's a bad thing, it's just that I don't remembering the font being quite so large, or the plot happening so quickly. I still enjoy it, just not as much.
Feb 15, 2015 Grace rated it it was amazing
THIS IS ONE OF MY FAVOURITE BOOKS! I have read this book twice now and could read it over and over! its a easy read and i book i have always found hard to put down! I constantly recommend this to friends! Worth the read!
Feb 11, 2015 Ann rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Uiteindelijk wel een redelijk goed boek. Maar het duurde een hele tijd voor er vaart in kwam en het irritante is dat de dader niet gevonden werd. Het lijkt een intro op nog meer, maar dat is het niet.
Mar 21, 2013 Emma rated it really liked it
I thought this book was a thrilling and exciting read. I liked how the reader got to see the story through the eyes of the protagonist (Evie) and gets to figure out the mystery as the story progresses.
Feb 08, 2012 Jes rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, bought-in-2012
I don't normally really enjoy supernatural themed books but this one was very different. It captures you on the first page and keeps you until the last.
Jan 22, 2012 Emma rated it liked it
This story just went on and on. It was good but not great. Fantastic idea & concept and I liked how it unfolded, just needed some work.
Jul 09, 2011 Georgie rated it it was amazing
a little creepy (especially as i read it while staying in adelaide near the wheat silos) but i loved it. awesome book! :)
Jan 17, 2013 Ki rated it really liked it
This book will make your spine tingle and your body shiver. It was a good read and I couldn't put it down.
Jul 27, 2011 Jess rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own
kind of spooky and nightmare worthy in a wierd way. but ultimately its a good book
  • Burnt Snow
  • Leaving Jetty Road
  • Little Bird (Girlfriend Fiction, #13)
  • Gift (The Circle, #2)
  • Borrowed Light
  • Secret Scribbled Notebooks
  • Touching Earth Lightly
  • Walking Naked
  • Dreamrider
  • Who Am I? The Diary Of Mary Talence, Sydney 1937
  • Dragonlinks (The Jelindel Chronicles #1)
  • Five Parts Dead
  • Solace and Grief (The Rare, #1)
  • When You Wake and Find Me Gone
  • Hating Alison Ashley
  • Lost property
  • Jarvis 24
.J.C Burke was born in Sydney in 1965, the fourth of five sisters. With writers for parents, she grew up in a world of noise, drama and books, but she decided to become a nurse after her mother lost a long battle with cancer. Since Burke started writing in 1999, she has published a number of acclaimed books for teenagers and young adults, including Chi
More about J.C. Burke...