Start by marking “Expert C Programming: Deep C Secrets” as Want to Read:
Expert C Programming: Deep C Secrets

Expert C Programming: Deep C Secrets

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  348 ratings  ·  21 reviews
This book is for the knowledgeable C programmer, this is a second book that gives the C programmers advanced tips and tricks. This book will help the C programmer reach new heights as a professional. Organized to make it easy for the reader to scan to sections that are relevant to their immediate needs.
Published June 24th 1994 by Prentice Hall

To ask other readers questions about Expert C Programming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Expert C Programming

Barry
When you've read K&R and start to ask /why/ C is written the way it is, it's time to graduate to _Expert C Programming: Deep C Secrets_. As much as K&R is the touchstone for all things C, there comes a point fairly soon in your career where you won't need to refer to it any longer. C in indeed a small language, and it's possible to keep all of it in your head.

Van Der Linden has created a collection of things that you won't necessarily need to know until /after/ you've learned C. What's a
Archit Taneja
The funniest tech book I've read until now. I was all aaargc aaarghv when it got over.
David
Provides a lot of good foundation for writing good systems code, especially in C. As usual, some of the information is dated, and I can't say I agree with all of the suggestions, but it covers a lot of useful ground. I had mostly absorbed much of this information already just from the culture at Sun (and the book is a bit Unix/Sun-centric).
Brennan Moore
"deep c secrets" is the sub-title -- amazing! -- nuf said.
Josh Davis
This was a great little refresher on C. I first learned C by going through the classic K&R book back in high school. As Expert C Programming is quick to point out, C has changed quite a bit from then.

As far as information goes, it covered some really great topics and explained things really well. I definitely feel that I have a better understanding not only of the C language, but of how the C code actually translates into assembly/machine code, which is ultimately what inspires some of how C
Daniel
Wow, what an amazing book!

Truth to be told, I read the last 100 pages today and maybe I am more excited than what I should be.

Amazing "deep secrets" of the C programming language, with incredible background stories related to the topics explained in each chapter. Very useful exercises that lead you to think and learn what has been explained.

Lot of low-level programming and also technical stuff (related to hardware) that might get you to become an expert C programmer and let you think and investi
Cristian
Good book, explains several details about the language, many times introducing the historical background behind them, and keeping it fun with stories and anecdotes related to the chapter's subject.
It has its years though and is outdated in some respects, an example is the blind insistence in dynamically linked code and how you should not statically link.
Irfin
Oct 05, 2008 Irfin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: C Programmer
damn, what a nice book.

Buku ini saya temukan di antara buku-buku lama/tua tentang pemrograman di perpustakaan kampus S-1 saya yaitu Univ. Kristen Duta Wacana, Yogykarta. Saya bangga (bukan sombong loh hehe..) telah membaca buku ini, karena beberapa hal krusial yang sering menjadi momok dalam pemrograman C, dibahas dengan cukup tuntas oleh si penulis, Peter van der Linden. Btw saya gak punya buku aslinya, saya fotokopi (bajak) dari perpus. Belakangan sekitar tahun 2005, buku ini saya wariskan kep
Antony Deepak Thomas
Very funny and a good one..
Vince
This book fills a serious gap in computer programming books: expert level texts. This is not a book to teach you C. This is a book for experienced C programmers who want to kick it up a few notches. No, I don't think I ever directly used the things I learned from this book in any development project, but I got a deeper understanding and appreciation of the language. Take that, K&R!
Nick Black
Eh, more valuable for the fun sidebars offering insight into Sun development processes than any other content -- the comp.lang.c FAQ covers most of what van der Linden covers here. I borrowed this from a coworker back in my short stint as a systems programmer for CNN, while I was a sophomore, and never owned it.
Studentgu
contents are broad, and language is humor.
overview of c++ and introduction to job interview are both good.
Steve
Essential reading from one of the authors of the Sun ProC compiler. It also walks you through writing a simple BASIC interpreter. What I mostly remember is gaining a rock-solid knowledge of how to read and write complex C declarations.
Jeff Ober
This book was written by one of the developers on the Sun compiler team. It is an excellent insight into some of the darker corners of C. I think I learned more about C from this book than from any other.
Prats
May 29, 2010 Prats added it
You will learn a lot about better programing styles. You would also be able to relate many of the OS related concepts ans how they are used. You would get to learn how memory management is done efficiently.
Zeng
Great Book on C programming, especially about pointer and array, and linker/compiler. I also like the hacker stories at the end of each chapter.
Cameron Sung
One of the best books on the language of "C". A must-have for expert programmers and advanced coders around the world.
Dean Jones
This book explained pointers very well. It furthered my knowledge on C
Ankit Kumar
Expert will also find Something out of it that would amaze them.
Krish
Fringes of C with a touch of humor = Win.
Brian
This book is awesome simply for the subtitle.
K. Isom
K. Isom marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Laoonatic
Laoonatic is currently reading it
Jun 27, 2015
Alexei Averchenko
Alexei Averchenko is currently reading it
Jun 27, 2015
Michał F
Michał F is currently reading it
Jun 22, 2015
Marinus Tahu
Marinus Tahu marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
  • On Lisp: Advanced Techniques for Common Lisp
  • Programming Perl
  • Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming: Case Studies in Common LISP
  • The Art of UNIX Programming
  • The Implementation (TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 2)
  • C++ Standard Library: A Tutorial and Reference

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Just Java 2 [With CDROM] Just Java 2 Not Just Java Official Handbook of Practical Jokes Second Official Handbook of Practical Jokes

“Never forget that when you point the finger at someone, three of your own fingers are pointing back at you...” 0 likes
“Abstraction is the notion of looking at a group of “somethings” (such as cars, invoices, or executing computer programs) and realizing that they have common themes. You can then ignore the unimportant differences and just record the key data items that characterize the thing (e.g., license number, amount due, or address space boundaries). When you do this, it is called “abstraction”, and the types of data that you store are “abstract data types”. Abstraction sounds like a tough mathematical concept, but don’t be fooled—it’s actually a simplification.” 0 likes