Start by marking “Expert C Programming: Deep C Secrets” as Want to Read:
Expert C Programming: Deep C Secrets

Expert C Programming: Deep C Secrets

4.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  461 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
This book is for the knowledgeable C programmer, this is a second book that gives the C programmers advanced tips and tricks. This book will help the C programmer reach new heights as a professional. Organized to make it easy for the reader to scan to sections that are relevant to their immediate needs.
Published June 24th 1994 by Prentice Hall

To ask other readers questions about Expert C Programming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Expert C Programming

The Pragmatic Programmer by Andrew HuntThe C Programming Language by Brian W. KernighanDesign Patterns by Erich GammaClean Code by Robert C. MartinCode Complete by Steve McConnell
Essential Programming Books
75th out of 123 books — 327 voters
The New Turing Omnibus by A.K. DewdneyThe Little Book of Semaphores by Allen B. DowneyProgramming Pearls by Jon L. BentleyMore Programming Pearls by Jon L. BentleyThe Little Schemer by Daniel P. Friedman
Peteris Krumins' Top 100 List
11th out of 23 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Barry
Aug 13, 2008 Barry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computer-science
When you've read K&R and start to ask /why/ C is written the way it is, it's time to graduate to _Expert C Programming: Deep C Secrets_. As much as K&R is the touchstone for all things C, there comes a point fairly soon in your career where you won't need to refer to it any longer. C in indeed a small language, and it's possible to keep all of it in your head.

Van Der Linden has created a collection of things that you won't necessarily need to know until /after/ you've learned C. What's a
Archit Taneja
Jan 28, 2015 Archit Taneja rated it really liked it
The funniest tech book I've read until now. I was all aaargc aaarghv when it got over.
David
Nov 20, 2010 David rated it really liked it
Provides a lot of good foundation for writing good systems code, especially in C. As usual, some of the information is dated, and I can't say I agree with all of the suggestions, but it covers a lot of useful ground. I had mostly absorbed much of this information already just from the culture at Sun (and the book is a bit Unix/Sun-centric).
Brennan Moore
Jan 27, 2010 Brennan Moore rated it it was amazing
"deep c secrets" is the sub-title -- amazing! -- nuf said.
Josh Davis
This was a great little refresher on C. I first learned C by going through the classic K&R book back in high school. As Expert C Programming is quick to point out, C has changed quite a bit from then.

As far as information goes, it covered some really great topics and explained things really well. I definitely feel that I have a better understanding not only of the C language, but of how the C code actually translates into assembly/machine code, which is ultimately what inspires some of how C
Michael Bond
Jul 28, 2015 Michael Bond rated it really liked it
Indeed it is a good second book on C. The coverage of pointers and arrays was excellent. I cannot blame the book for being outdated a couple of decades later; I just read quickly through those sections. I would not use the chapter on C++ to actually learn it.
Daniel
Feb 12, 2012 Daniel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computer-science
Wow, what an amazing book!

Truth to be told, I read the last 100 pages today and maybe I am more excited than what I should be.

Amazing "deep secrets" of the C programming language, with incredible background stories related to the topics explained in each chapter. Very useful exercises that lead you to think and learn what has been explained.

Lot of low-level programming and also technical stuff (related to hardware) that might get you to become an expert C programmer and let you think and investi
Cristian
Mar 26, 2015 Cristian rated it really liked it
Shelves: computer-science
Good book, explains several details about the language, many times introducing the historical background behind them, and keeping it fun with stories and anecdotes related to the chapter's subject.
It has its years though and is outdated in some respects, an example is the blind insistence in dynamically linked code and how you should not statically link.
Panos Krimas
Feb 01, 2016 Panos Krimas rated it it was amazing
Most valuable and enjoyable book for C and security. And it's 2016...
Is it heretical to say that it beats K&R ?
Irfin
Oct 05, 2008 Irfin rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: C Programmer
damn, what a nice book.

Buku ini saya temukan di antara buku-buku lama/tua tentang pemrograman di perpustakaan kampus S-1 saya yaitu Univ. Kristen Duta Wacana, Yogykarta. Saya bangga (bukan sombong loh hehe..) telah membaca buku ini, karena beberapa hal krusial yang sering menjadi momok dalam pemrograman C, dibahas dengan cukup tuntas oleh si penulis, Peter van der Linden. Btw saya gak punya buku aslinya, saya fotokopi (bajak) dari perpus. Belakangan sekitar tahun 2005, buku ini saya wariskan kep
Russell Branca
Dec 21, 2015 Russell Branca rated it it was amazing
A great and entertaining book on the nuances of the C programming language.
Antony Thomas
May 30, 2015 Antony Thomas rated it it was amazing
Very funny and a good one..
Vince
Jan 30, 2008 Vince rated it it was amazing
This book fills a serious gap in computer programming books: expert level texts. This is not a book to teach you C. This is a book for experienced C programmers who want to kick it up a few notches. No, I don't think I ever directly used the things I learned from this book in any development project, but I got a deeper understanding and appreciation of the language. Take that, K&R!
Nick Black
Nov 27, 2008 Nick Black rated it it was ok
Eh, more valuable for the fun sidebars offering insight into Sun development processes than any other content -- the comp.lang.c FAQ covers most of what van der Linden covers here. I borrowed this from a coworker back in my short stint as a systems programmer for CNN, while I was a sophomore, and never owned it.
Studentgu
Jan 13, 2014 Studentgu rated it really liked it
contents are broad, and language is humor.
overview of c++ and introduction to job interview are both good.
Steve
Aug 04, 2007 Steve rated it really liked it
Essential reading from one of the authors of the Sun ProC compiler. It also walks you through writing a simple BASIC interpreter. What I mostly remember is gaining a rock-solid knowledge of how to read and write complex C declarations.
Prats
May 29, 2010 Prats added it
You will learn a lot about better programing styles. You would also be able to relate many of the OS related concepts ans how they are used. You would get to learn how memory management is done efficiently.
Zeng
Dec 23, 2013 Zeng rated it it was amazing
Great Book on C programming, especially about pointer and array, and linker/compiler. I also like the hacker stories at the end of each chapter.
Cameron Sung
Mar 28, 2012 Cameron Sung rated it it was amazing
One of the best books on the language of "C". A must-have for expert programmers and advanced coders around the world.
Dean Jones
Jan 12, 2009 Dean Jones rated it it was amazing
This book explained pointers very well. It furthered my knowledge on C
Ankit Kumar
Aug 13, 2013 Ankit Kumar rated it it was amazing
Expert will also find Something out of it that would amaze them.
Krish
Dec 24, 2008 Krish rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Fringes of C with a touch of humor = Win.
Brian
Feb 21, 2008 Brian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comp-sci
This book is awesome simply for the subtitle.
Ashley : )
Ashley : ) marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Safarione95
Safarione95 marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Sven
Sven marked it as to-read
Britt Freeman
Britt Freeman marked it as to-read
Rohit
Rohit rated it it was amazing
Simon Vindum
Simon Vindum rated it really liked it
May 28, 2016
  • Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming: Case Studies in Common LISP
  • On Lisp: Advanced Techniques for Common Lisp
  • Mastering Algorithms with C

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

“Never forget that when you point the finger at someone, three of your own fingers are pointing back at you...” 0 likes
“The keyword const doesn’t turn a variable into a constant! A symbol with the const qualifier merely means that the symbol cannot be used for assignment. This makes the value read-only through that symbol ; it does not prevent the value from being modified through some other means internal (or even external) to the program.” 0 likes