Start by marking “B.P.R.D., Vol. 7: Garden of Souls (B.P.R.D., #7)” as Want to Read:
B.P.R.D., Vol. 7: Garden of Souls (B.P.R.D., #7)

B.P.R.D., Vol. 7: Garden of Souls (B.P.R.D. #7)

4.19  ·  Rating Details ·  1,084 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Abe Sapien follows a strange clue to the jungles of Indonesia and a secret society with connections to his past life during the American Civil War. Meanwhile, Liz's apocalyptic visions have begun to escalate, and Johann makes a startling discovery about a member of the Bureau.

Written by John Arcudi and Hellboy and B.P.R.D. creator Mike Mignola, and drawn by Guy Davis, Gard
Paperback, First Edition, 152 pages
Published January 30th 2008 by Dark Horse (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about B.P.R.D., Vol. 7, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about B.P.R.D., Vol. 7

Sam Quixote
Jan 09, 2016 Sam Quixote rated it it was amazing
Abe discovers just how insane his past was when he’s drawn to a remote Indonesian island with Daimio in tow. Victorian England, living Egyptian mummies, steampunk robots, a monster island, and a fiendish and utterly deranged plot to save the world through destruction and living Hyperborean vessels - oy, what an awesome comic!

Garden of Souls is right up there with The Universal Machine and 1946 as among the finest books in the BPRD series. The storyline begins in 1859 England where a mummy from
Sesana
Dec 28, 2013 Sesana rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, comics
Garden of Souls offers a little more insight into Abe's life before he was Abe. I didn't expect steampunky robots and a telekinetic mummy. I can't help but feel that there's still more in Abe's past, that we may or may not get to. Either way, I think I'll be happy. I've been fascinated with the little bits that have been slowly revealed, and while I'd like to see more, I don't feel like information is being withheld in a haphazard way.
Spencer
Oct 19, 2016 Spencer rated it liked it
This was good but after the previous collection (The Universal Machine) which was amazing, the writing seems quite inferior in comparison.
Wing Kee
Jul 20, 2015 Wing Kee rated it it was amazing
Oh Caul, your story be so good!

After over 30 issues of teasing Abe and his origins, getting glimpses of it at Rhode Island and flashbacks, we finally get the biggest chunk of Abe/Caul story since he arrived on the scene in Seed of Destruction. Man the wait was worth it!

World: Guy Davis art, perfect and gorgeous in every way. The world building this time around takes a huge chunk of the story, this is the story of Abe/Caul and we finally see his transformation and what happened to him. There is l
Karly Noelle Noelle
Mar 24, 2011 Karly Noelle Noelle rated it really liked it
This is probably my very favorite installment (so far) in the B.P.R.D. series. The focus is entirely on Abe Sapien (with Captain Daimio getting a little bit of peripheral action) and making peace with the discovery of his past life as Victorian era gentleman. While set in the present era, the overall feeling of this piece is saturated with steampunk overtones, with strange little diving bell robot bodies, mutant (but mostly harmless) animals, jungles, a kind psychic mummy woman, and of course a ...more
Craig
Feb 09, 2011 Craig rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This featured a story that hits all the right notes for me: a further investigation of Abe's past, a mysterious island hiding a Victorian secret, secret maps tucked into cigar cases, and a living mummy telepathically projecting into the real world.

Admittedly, a lot of the secondary characters here are being moved into place as set up for future volumes. I am still mystified by the character of Ben Daimio -- I don't think I like him very much. Liz and Kate don't have much to do here, but fortunat
Charles
Nov 30, 2008 Charles rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Mike Mignola is somehow able to tell a dark story with occult rituals and limb-severing violence but give it the innocent charm of a TinTin comic. He doesn't usually let us in to the minds of the primary characters in Garden of Souls, but he endears us to them by portraying with no grandiosity whatsoever - just a self-destructive dedication to ridding the world of evil. The story is well paced, and gave me the same quality of pleasure as watching an episode of a good television series.
Jason
Apr 02, 2008 Jason rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I like BPRD, I like Mignola, I like Davis, I like telepathic mummies bent on revenge, I like Victorian whithered husks in steampunk robot suits, this collection is pure awesome.
Ramón Nogueras Pérez
Nov 03, 2016 Ramón Nogueras Pérez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic
El origen de Abe Sapiens es desvelado finalmente, en un número que es completa y totalmente exquisito. No deja de sorprender, y siempre para bien.
Jonathan Briggs
Apr 18, 2012 Jonathan Briggs rated it really liked it
Although it's all "very friggin' scenic" around the docks of Balikpapan, Ben Daimio wants to know why Abe Sapien dragged him all the way to Indonesia and what they're looking for. Abe reluctantly shows Daimio an antique cigar case that was anonymously mailed to him. It's engraved with the initials L.E.C. -- Langdon Everett Caul, the person Abe was before his mutation into a fishman more than a century ago. Neither member of the Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense seems to realize they're ...more
Benjamin
Mar 02, 2008 Benjamin rated it liked it
This is the 1st comic book I've read in several years. Mike recommended it to me, loaning his copy. It's not bad; I liked it. It was nice to revisit some of my old friends from the Hellboy book.

Those of you curious about the plot, the origins of Abe Sapien are revealed, involving a mummy, Victorian exo-suits, mutant animals, and harvesting half of the souls on the earth.

Guy Davis does the art, and his style (one I've always liked, and something that's tempted me to read this series before) rea
Matthew Brady
Mar 21, 2014 Matthew Brady rated it really liked it
Another really good volume of the series that contains some cool action, neat, scary ideas, revelations about characters' pasts, and gruesome imagery, all while furthering the continuing plot. I love the crazy Victorian technology that the bad guys use, and their plot is fascinatingly scary, giving Abe some great character moments as he continues to struggle with his unremembered former life and fights against who he was. There's more surprising violence, which seems to be a feature of the ...more
Julian
Mar 29, 2014 Julian rated it really liked it
This was a really great story with a fascinating cast of villains in diving suits who know more about Abe's past than first meets the eye. The villains in these collections are becoming better and better as the story continues and they are quickly rivaling those found in the Hellboy series (if not eclipsing them in some areas). Abe takes center stage in this collection in a way that he hasn't in awhile, which I enjoyed. A strong entry overall, but not as deep and focused as the last two ...more
Orrin Grey
Jun 16, 2010 Orrin Grey rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, re-read, mignola
I believe this catches me up to where I left off in reviewing the B.P.R.D. series, though I plan to keep re-reading as well.

There's a lot of great stuff in Garden of Souls, and the major ramp up toward the Scorched Earth trilogy that's going on right now begins here, though really it's been building pretty much since Plague of Frogs.
Paul
Feb 15, 2008 Paul rated it it was amazing
Another excellent foray into adventure horror. Among the regrets in my life, along with probably (that's probably) never having a chimpanzee friend, is that I'll probably (again---probably) never end up in an exotic locale with a half-fish friend, the two of us on an adventure where I crack a whiskey bottle over the head of some ancient god. That's the life for me, Jim. But---until then, I like reading these volumes of BPRD.
Kevin Mann
Nov 12, 2012 Kevin Mann rated it really liked it
Abe is the character i really enjoy, the others are marginal for me.....i bought this as goodreads reviews helped me isolate this vol. as an Abe starring vehicle. I enjoyed this compilation. Read other reviews for plot summations! If Abe is your guy, this is the one to get. It was much better than the later more recent BPRD volumes i read prior. In fact,they were pretty bad! This is a good one!
Matthew
Jul 05, 2013 Matthew rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
This was a great storyline. The history/mystery behind Abe's "creation" is one of the best parts of the BPRD series and this does a great job of giving more of that backstory. You could read this stand-alone, they fill in the absolute info you'd need to enjoy it.

Recommended to anyone that likes Hellboy/BPRD.
Steven Ackerley
Jul 30, 2011 Steven Ackerley rated it it was amazing
John Arcudi has really made this series his own now, it is consistently excellent and always improving. Abe's back story features heavily again here and it's as heart-breaking as ever and we even get to learn a little more about Benjamin Daimio.

This book also features some of my favourite 'rough' sketches in this series so far.
Madkropotkin
Oct 18, 2011 Madkropotkin rated it it was amazing
This has been one of my favorite installments of the Hellboy mythos. This graphic novel was amazing. It had everything you could ask for in it. Monsters, robots, ghosts and old lady mummies. I was very impressed by the story, as I usually feel a bit underwhelmed by this series. But this collection is superb.
Adam
Apr 11, 2009 Adam rated it really liked it

I lost interest in this series when Mignola stopped writing it. Though that may have only been one issue, my loss, but now I’m back on board. Fantastic entertainment seemingly tailor for me alone, psychic mummies, a cabal of mad scientists, Victorian cyborgs, a plot of terrorism to save souls (hmmm?) makes this a mix of b-movie pulp and H.G. Wells.
James
Jun 05, 2013 James rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Another great offering for the BPRD crew, filled with character development (and character designs). The main storyline spurs a welcome change of location, complete with Victorian cyborgs with genocidal designs, but the crew back at HQ does some learning about one of their own. Excellent art, evocative storytelling.
Jeane
Aug 02, 2011 Jeane rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I know that by vol. 7 I should, by now, be okay that there is no Hellboy in the B.P.R.D. but still I wish he was. Despite that, this was a good graphic novel. I loved watching Abe kicking ass, and I really liked the mix of Abe's ass kicking story line and the casual B.P.RD. life with Liz, Johanne and Kate
Fraser Sherman
May 26, 2014 Fraser Sherman rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Having learned of his previous life as Langdon Caul, Abe Sapiens goes in search of his roots and discovers the Oannes Society's sinister plan for saving (so they say) humanity. Good, though I don't believe they ever followed up on the revelation about Capt. Daimio's secret history.
Angela
Aug 01, 2014 Angela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2014
Dalek-like diving men looking creepos, creepy girl with cats, living mummies, lobster-pig cow, and tortured Abe leaves little to not like in this volume. I love the continued focus on individual back stories.
K T
Oct 15, 2008 K T rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I got way more into this than the first BPRD collection. Having just one artist/storyline probably helped. I thought the design of the villains was really good. And it's good to spend some time on a very Abe-centric story.

Read this without reading vol 2&3 with no problems.
pierlapo  quimby
Disegni, colori e sceneggiatura ottimi, come sempre. E' il soggetto in sè che..., ecco, diciamo che la società Oannes è interessante, ma i suoi propositi e la faccenda del giardino delle anime mi sono parse proprio una stronzata galattica!
Alicia
Abe Sapien is back in action! And maybe there's a relationship of some sort budding between Liz and Kate...?
Petabyte
Jun 07, 2008 Petabyte rated it really liked it
Shelves: kmks
Genetic experiments, mad scientists. Mummies? This book's quite the enjoyable read, and would be an excellent movie, if done by the right people. :) Paging del Toro y Gaiman!
Dave
Dec 01, 2012 Dave rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Victorian cyborg suits set in Indonesia with hints of Dr. Moreau? Yes, please. Pity that not enough done with the ideas, though.
Timothy Boyd
Jan 25, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it really liked it
If you want to know more about the support characters or the agency in the Hellboy storyline here is where to start. Great reads, Very recommended
  • Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser
  • Hellboy: Odder Jobs
  • Aetheric Mechanics
  • Hellboy Animated Volume 1: The Black Wedding
  • Hellboy: The Companion
  • Sir Edward Grey, Witchfinder, Vol. 3: The Mysteries of Unland
  • Conan, Vol. 4: The Halls of the Dead and Other Stories
  • The Goon, Volume 3: Heaps of Ruination
  • Atomic Robo and the Dogs of War (Atomic Robo, #2)
  • Hellboy: The All-Seeing Eye
  • Lobster Johnson: The Satan Factory
  • The Fugue (Fall of Cthulhu, #1)
  • The Sixth Gun, Vol. 4: A Town Called Penance
  • The Astounding Wolf-Man, Volume 1 (The Astounding Wolf-Man, #1)
  • The Marquis Volume 1: Inferno
  • The Unwritten, Volume 8: Orpheus in the Underworld
  • Beasts of Burden: Animal Rites
Mike Mignola was born September 16, 1960 in Berkeley, California and grew up in nearby Oakland. His fascination with ghosts and monsters began at an early age (he doesn't remember why) and reading Dracula at age 13 introduced him to Victorian literature and folklore from which he has never recovered.

In 1982, hoping to find a way to draw monsters for a living, he moved to New York City and began wo
More about Mike Mignola...

B.P.R.D. (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 1: Hollow Earth and Other Stories (B.P.R.D., #1)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 2: The Soul of Venice & Other Stories (B.P.R.D., #2)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 3: Plague of Frogs (B.P.R.D., #3)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 4: The Dead (B.P.R.D., #4)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 5: The Black Flame (B.P.R.D., #5)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 6: The Universal Machine (B.P.R.D., #6)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 8: Killing Ground (B.P.R.D., #8)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 9: 1946 (B.P.R.D., #9)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 10: The Warning (B.P.R.D., #10)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 11: The Black Goddess (B.P.R.D., #11)