Harrowing the Dragon

Harrowing the Dragon

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  1,020 ratings  ·  65 reviews
A fantasist without equal, Patricia A. McKillip has created worlds of intricate beauty and unforgettably nuanced characters. For 25 years, she's drawn readers into her spell, spinning modern-day fables with a grace rarely seen. Now she presents a book of previously uncollected short stories, full of beautiful dragons, rueful princesses, and handsome bards, and written in t...more
Published November 7th 2006 by Ace Trade (first published 2005)

Margaret
There are fifteen stories here, from 1982's "The Harrowing of the Dragon of Hoarsbreath" to 1999's "Toad", and the quality is, as one would expect from McKillip, very high. For me, standouts were the title story, of a young man who returns to a island of perpetual ice to seek a sleeping dragon and of the young woman who tries to stop him; "The Lark and the Lion", a fairy tale with overtones of "Beauty and the Beast", "Psyche and Eros", and "East of the Sun, West of the Moon"; "A Matter of Music"...more
Kathy Davie
An omnibus of fairy tales given a twist by McKillip. In general, I find McKillip's writing to be lyric poetry. In this group of tales, she seems to be more musical.

Harrowing of the Dragon of Hoarsbreath was a very frustrating tale of a dragon fighter taking on a dragon whose only fault…so far…is 11 months of winter.

A Matter of Music was very good and, true to its title, revolves around music. It also brought in a reference to another of McKillip's stories, In the Forest of Serre. It made me t...more
Wealhtheow
A collection of fantasy short stories. "Harrowing the Dragon" is a dreamy story about a young man who seeks to free his town from eternal winter. But perhaps the town does not wish to be free. Probably the weakest story. "A Matter of Music" feels like a novel crammed into a short story. A young musician gets involved in a generations-long conflict that is mirrored in the conflict between her friend and his half-blood wife. I think my favorite is "A Troll and Two Roses," in which a lazy troll gro...more
Lark
This collection of short stories was just beautiful.
McKillip is an artist with words, the way she can describe the worlds and weave magic into every single story.

I must say, there are some stories that are a lot stronger than others. I particularly fell in love with the first two: "The Harrowing of the Dragon" and "A Matter of Music". Oh but "The Fellowship of the Dragon" was lovely too - and "The Stranger" was just heart-wrenching.
Ah, I should probably stop before I list most of the stories....more
Paola (A Novel Idea)
Originally posted at A Novel Idea Reviews

Rating: 4/5

In this collection of short stories, taken from Patricia A. McKillip’s 25 years as an award winning fiction/fantasy writer, the hero is never simply a hero and magic is woven into the very air you breathe. From the very first story, down to the last, McKillip treats her reader to a different perspective and new dimensions to even the most familiar tale. She has a prose style of writing that is beautiful, epic, and enchanting; I know I’m always...more
J. Aleksandr Wootton
It has been some few years since I read anything by Patricia McKillip; I was unsatisfied by her Riddlemaster trilogy, although I liked its first installment pretty well. I tend not to enjoy stories of the general formula: "hero steadily becomes more powerful until practically invincible, yet remains uncorrupted by said power due to his/her humble, kindhearted, and/or underdog upbringing, thus becoming able to defeat the tale's one-dimensional, nigh-omnipotent villain and stop his/her world-endin...more
Katy Wilmotte
This is a collection of fantasy tales and the reading of them feels like something like a fantasy in itself. I felt as though I was an onlooker gawking at some woman sitting on the floor of a strange world working her craft- the weaving of words. Whether or not I liked the end result, she would continue her work and leave me to go about my business.
That being said, these were very good stories. McKillip has a way with words that can only be described as weaving. These stories, though often abru...more
Josie
I feel that this book wasn't worth the £6.50 I paid for it, which was disappointing. Some of the stories were definitely better than others. The Lion and the Lark - the story I bought the book for - luckily turned out to be my favourite. Other enjoyable reads included: A Troll and Two Roses (so cute!), The Fellowship of the Dragon (interesting, but it felt like it had been cut off too soon), Lady of the Skulls (I guessed what "the most precious thing in the tower" was by the second page but desp...more
Tortla
One of the blurbs on the back of this book said that "Of all the fantasy writers still alive, Patricia McKillip comes the closest for me to capturing the real flavor of fairy tales." There's very little I have to add to that statement to express the pure awesome that is much of this book (or rather this collection of short stories) except maybe that she tends to be vague and inconclusive, and I've noticed a feministy vibe in the stories that definitely isn't traditionally fairy-tale-esque (but w...more
Annie
Feb 06, 2011 Annie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
A collection of excellent short stories by McKillip. Most are inspired by fairy tales, my favorite being "The Snow Queen." There's also a story about a policeman who investigates the deaths of Romeo and Juliet, that McKillip wrote for an anthology of Shakespeare mysteries.

The best story was the titular "Harrowing the Dragon," about a miner who gets mixed up with a dragon harrower. Not a slayer, a harrower kind of annoys a dragon until it flies away. The harrower in this story wants to drive away...more
Liz
This is a collection of 15 short stories/fairy tales written by Patricia A. McKillip. A couple of the stories dealt with dragons, princes/princesses, love stories, etc. I did enjoy some of the tales more so than others. I really liked the ones that were background or added information to more well-known stories. For instance, "Star-Crossed" explored the day after finding Romeo and Juliet in the vault and followed the lead "investigator" tasked with finding out what happened. I also really liked...more
Maureen E
I had read this one at some point in the past. I remember enjoying it quite a lot. This time I had a somewhat mixed reaction; some stories I really enjoyed and some I was not so fond of.
Ones I enjoyed:
* “Baba Yaga and the Sorcerer’s Son”. With the interweaving of Russian folklore and original story, this one hit the right balance for me.
* “Lady of the Skulls”. A tantalizing story, with rich imagery.
* “The Lion and the Lark”. Probably my favorite of the whole bunch. It wove several fairy tale mot...more
Maureen E
Ones I enjoyed:
* “Lady of the Skulls”. A tantalizing story, with rich imagery.
Kristin
A very good collection of short stories. I really enjoyed the range of stories, from retellings of classic fairytales, stand alone stories, and especially Romeo and Juliet from the point of view of the prince's investigator.
Hilary
A collection of short stories from one of my favourite authors, this brings together fiction from anthologies spanning twenty five years of writing. It's not surprising, given this, that the quality is a little uneven � but, actually, it's less so than you might imagine. It ranges from the epic through the humorous to the poignant and, it has to be admitted, the pointless (I didn't have a lot of use for "A Matter of Music" or "The Witches of Junket"). Perhaps the best of the collection are the v...more
Linda
'The Stranger' and 'The Harrowing of the Dragon of Hoarsbreath' are stunning. I won't soon forget either. The other stories are also enchanting - some more humorous in tone, and some more epic.
Nighteye
Oct 12, 2012 Nighteye rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: who like Mckillips dreamly style and who would like to read her but havn't
A good collection of her short stories (15 st), if you like her other books you'll like this one too... it's some few just weird storys like "Ash, Snow and Fire" that I didn't understand at all and some lovely stories in "Mckillip-style" like "A matter of Music", "A Troll and two Roses" and the one that I liked the most: "Lady of the Skulls" but the most are really good stories, not excellent dreamly "Mckillip-style" but good stories!

Recommended to Mckillip-loves and the ones who would like to r...more
Tracy
A beautiful, imaginative and lyrical collection of short stories by a master of modern fairy tales. McKillip's prose is always like poetry, with visual details easily summoned in the mind, humorous dialogue to enjoy, and of course, characters that range from sturdy and sweet to ethereal and mysterious. What I like best about this collection is the inspiration drawn from real fairy tales and stories written by other authors. To tease out those connections was very entertaining.
Kerry
I usually love McKillip, but a lot of these stories failed to completely satisfy. I think a lot of the problem is that the endings tended to feel weak to me; the stories built beautifully, the writing was lovely and then they just kind of ended. My favourites were "The Stranger" and "The Lion and the Lark" and I think part of that is because the endings were stronger. But I'm left with the feeling that McKillip writes better at the longer length than the shorter one.
Bunnyjadwiga
Being confined to the short-story genre controls McKillip's later tendency to recursive plots, while showcasing her writing. The title story, Harrowing the Dragon, retains its poignancy, and some of the others are just as pointed. The final meditation, on the story of the Frog Prince and the disturbing parts of it, resembles a cross between Vivian Vande Velde's musings on storytelling and the cyclical writing of Diana Wynne Jones' Fire and Hemlock.
Aly

"Star-Crossed"

"Voyage into the Heart"

"Toad"
Brittany E
Patricia McKillip is one of my favorite fantasy authors! I'm talking like top 5, maybe even top 3. This collection had a couple of gems, and while it was interesting to see McKillip's themes developing in these chronologically-ordered tales, there were many stories that left me feeling meh. Especially the last one, which was Romeo and Juliet-themed. Note to the editor: why did you finish on such a weak note?!
Donna Jo Atwood
This collection of fantasy was varied, with about half being retellings of fairy tales. McKillip's stories are always rich in imagery and lush with words, and these are no exception.
I enjoyed most of the stories, but as usual in any collection, there were a few that didn't quite click for me. I did enjoy Star-Crossed, which was Romeo and Juliet as told by the officer investigating the deaths.

Chrissy
Honestly I'm not fond of giving bad reviews, but this book was a major disapointment.
Out of the fifteen stories in the anthology, one was good, and there was one that almost got good as it was ending.
The stories were all very pretty, but that is all they were, pretty. With only one exception the pieces were all more flash than substance. The stories played at being deep, but came out very hollow.
Brittany
The lesson I learned from this book is that too much Patricia McKillip in one month is a bad thing. Either that, or I'm just not a huge fan of her short stories, however much I like her novels.

My favorite story in here, "Fellowship of the Dragon," also appeared in After the King.
Katie M.
McKillip has an elegant, poetic writing style. Some of the short stories in this collection are amazing, five-star gems. My favorites are "The Fellowship of the Dragon" and "The Lion and the Lark." Other stories are weaker due to thin characters or incoherent plots. It was well worth the $2.99 I paid for it on the bargain table, but not one I'll be carrying around the rest of my life.
Janice (Janicu)
Collection of short stories by McKillip. As usual I feel like I am in the middle of an etherial dream when I read her works. I enjoyed all the stories here, but the one I seem to remember most is The Fellowship of the Dragon, where 5 lady knights; each with her own set of skills and personalities, set off together to rescue a queen's favorite from a dragon, with interesting results.
Ryan
Some good stories - some are original, others inspired by fairy tales, others by different stories. The re-imagined Snow Queen was interesting, and I enjoyed the tale of the investigation into the tragic demise of Romeo & Juliet. I prefer tales about dragons when they are not the bad guy, though. Good rainy day reading material.
Cayenne
She's such an amazing writer. I feel like I've been dreaming after reading one of her books. I really liked the first one--Harrowing the Dragon of Hoarfrost--and the one about the band of women looking for the queen's harpist and the Witches of Junket, but they were all interesting stories and I enjoyed them all.
Marianne
McKillip is my favorite author, but I found some of these previously-unpublished stories to be forgettable. Most were classic McKillip in terms of subject matter and style. However, a few of them were absolutely amazing (Lion and the Lark, Harrowing of the Dragon of Hoarsbreath, Troll and Two Roses).
  • Wings of Fire: Dragon Stories
  • Waters Luminous and Deep
  • Instead of Three Wishes: Magical Short Stories
  • Unexpected Magic: Collected Stories
  • Red as Blood, or Tales from the Sisters Grimmer
  • To Weave a Web of Magic (Samaria Chronological Order #3.5)
  • The Oxford Book of Modern Fairy Tales
  • Somewhere Beneath Those Waves
Patricia Anne McKillip is an American author of fantasy and science fiction novels, distinguished by lyrical, delicate prose and careful attention to detail and characterization. She is a past winner of the World Fantasy Award and Locus Award, and she lives in Oregon. Most of her recent novels have cover paintings by Kinuko Y. Craft. She is married to David Lunde, a poet.

According to Fantasy Book...more
More about Patricia A. McKillip...
Riddle-Master: The Complete Trilogy (Riddle-Master, #1-3) The Forgotten Beasts of Eld The Riddle-Master of Hed (Riddle-Master, #1) Winter Rose (Winter Rose, #1) Heir of Sea and Fire (Riddle-Master, #2)

“The young gentlemen who came calling seemed especially puzzling. They sat in their velvet shirts and their leather boots, nibbling burnt cakes and praising Diamond's mind, and all the while their eyes said other things. Now, their eyes said. Now. Then: Patience, patience. 'You are flowers,' their mouths said, 'You are jewels, you are golden dreams.' Their eyes said: I eat flowers, I burn with dreams, I have a tower without a door in my heart, and I will keep you there... 9 likes